“Fan” Produces 70s Movie Poster For Portal 2

By Quintin Smith on May 6th, 2011 at 5:18 pm.

If you could hold this picture and smell it, it would surely smell of nicotine and communists.

That’s me done for the day, but I saw this over at gaming.reddit and basically needed it to be on the RPS frontpage over the weekend.

Seattle-based artist (edit- and Valve employee) Tristan Reidford has made a 1970s-style movie poster for Portal 2. It’s an absolutely stunning piece of work, and awaits you in full after the jump.

Reader! Click for bigger. Tristan? Make prints of this (edit- prints of this are coming). Sell it. Sell it so hard. We will make you a rich man.

Have a great weekend, guys!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Cradlejoe says:

Wallpapered.

2. Nighthood says:

I would be having a great weekend, if it wasn’t for the clusterfuck of an election.

Poster has cheered me up a little though.

3. alexmasterson says:

Wow.

4. Unaco says:

Nice poster. But, who is that in the middle, with the Portal gun and the Heel Springs pretending to be Chell? Is there a 2nd female protagonist in Portal 2 that I missed?

5. xcession says:

Absolutely, categorically awesome.

6. node says:

It’s actually by a concept artist at Valve so hopefully they’ll do posters! http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Tristan_Reidford

7. stander says:

He’s not some fan, but actually a modeler at Valve.

8. Rii says:

I was under the impression that Chell was asian. =/

9. Perjoss says:

why wasn’t this the box art?
    call me old fashioned, but i like to own game boxes with nice art on them.

10. Inigo says:

It must be nice to have your job.

11. Matt_W says:

Why is Lara Croft wearing Chell’s outfit?

12. Soon says:

But she doesn’t even have an afro.

13. MartinNr5 says:

It’s good to have you back Quinns!

14. tstapp1026 says:

This also follows the blue/orange rule for movie posters! Good job m8!
    Orange/Blue Contrast in Movie Posters

15. McDan says:

This. Is. Awesome. Definetely buy this as a poster.

16. Gap Gen says:

I’ll add my voice to the chorus of people who think it’s a shame that they took one of the least sexualised female videogame characters and did them up, but it’s a nice poster otherwise. Yeah.

• Rii says:

mmm, I’m not really seeing it. The tight, sleeveless top? Practicality.

• the geebs says:

Well, if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go tell every female protagonist to stop having boobs.

• Lilliput King says:

I think he’s talking about the face.

• Rii says:

Still not seeing it.

• Shih Tzu says:

Well, if you want to find plausible excuses, it’s common in ’70s and ’80s movie posters for the artist to slightly idealize and objectify the actor they’re painting.

• Vinraith says:

@Gap Gen

Valve already “sexed up” Chell’s image with the front page graphics when Portal 2 was released. This just follows on from that. I agree that it’s a shame, though.

• Lilliput King says:

Rii: If you look at Chell’s face in the original Portal, she’s got a flat, wide nose and prominent, wide cheekbones. This one is far more traditionally attractive with a small nose and shallower cheekbones, creating a much longer, leaner face.

I don’t really care, so it’s weird I’m still explaining this.

• Xocrates says:

Although given that Chell was modelled after the same person for both games, it seems a rather strange argument.

EDIT: Googling a few images for comparison, I note that while the face certainly seems to have been tweaked, I think the most significant difference is that she looks tired and unkempt in the original, but not so in the sequel.

• passingstranger says:

Hmmm. If you listen to the commentary, they talk about how the outfit design alterations were made to reflect Chell’s changing attitude toward GLaDOS, Aperture, and the situation in which she has been placed as well as signaling general development as a character.

I don’t think the mere fact that we can now confirm Chell possesses breasts is really a reason to argue that she has been sexualized. And I don’t think her face looked incredibly natural in the first. This one does and, consequently, is more attractive. She’s still strong, silent, and incredibly cool.

• Lilliput King says:

The faces are completely different. It’s not that she “looks tired.” They’ve rearranged her fucking bones.

• Xocrates says:

I DID say the face was tweaked, having overall been softened, but if you look closely Portal 1 and 2 Chell actually have a fairly similar face and body structure, down to prominent cheekbones (as consequence of being modelled after the same person). The Chell on the poster however looks like a significantly different person.

Yes Chell did go to the plastic surgeon between games, yes she looks a lot more attractive in the sequel.
      But she also looks like she had a good night sleep and put some makeup on.

My point is that it’s still recognizably the same person and that the differences aren’t much more significant than the ones between a movie actress on camera and drunk off her ass off the set.

• Vinraith says:

Chell’s image was not present in Portal 1 advertising, whereas a very made-up, prettied up Chell in high heels with her suit half-off is one of the central marketing images of Portal 2. Are we really going to pretend we don’t know why that decision was made?

• Lilliput King says:

Xoc: It occurs to me that we’re probably talking about completely different faces. I was only talking about the one in this poster (which it makes sense to change for the 70s poster. I’m not complaining). I agree that Chell in Portal 2 looks fairly similar to Chell in the original. Longer, slimmer face, but recognisable, anyway.

• Xocrates says:

@liliput king: Ah yes, so it seems. We are in agreement then.

• passingstranger says:

@Vinraith
      I think this oversimplifies the situation. Chell isn’t seen in the Portal 1 advertising because Portal 1 advertising was next to nonexistent. They didn’t need to sell Portal to gamers past the original trailer because it was really just an experiment that everyone was getting along with the big name games. This has changed for Portal 2 because a 60 dollar game needs a recognizable icon and an attractive protagonist certainly doesn’t hurt. Even then, Chell is only featured prominently in one of the promo videos with the robots getting most of the publicity. The “high heeled” effect of the leg braces is basically unchanged from the first.

Valve decided to go from this to this. I think, more than a profound statement on the status of women as symbols in gaming, this is just a result of Valve continuing their tradition of constantly re-examining and testing designs until they reach something they really like. And, finally, much like traditional male protagonists, it is very possible for a female character to be attractive without being sexualised.

• Gap Gen says:

OK, having seen Donjonson’s screenshot links, I’m inclined to agree that the Portal 2 Chell does look quite like that, even if the Portal 1 Chell doesn’t. Ah, the travails of post-feminism.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

I remember my FemShep getting a boob job err, upgraded, back in ME2. So we know where a few of that 4 billion credits went…

17. Duffin says:

I need to buy a full size one of these. Please make some Valve.

18. Antlia says:

Onwards to here for wallpaper version: http://wallbase.cc/wallpaper/1044802

19. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Alternatively I give you this one: http://wallbase.cc/wallpaper/1044885

• Doesntmeananything says:

Just here to say that you messed up a link so my message would be a reminder of your ineptitude even after you edited the comment. Have a nice day. :)

Edit: Failed timing on my part. That’s bad karma, right?

• Lilliput King says:

On the flipside, I think I like that one better! Anyone know of any for my wimpy 1680×1050, incidentally?

20. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Well you said something nice and until recently I felt the pain of finding wallpapers for that res so here ya go: http://wallbase.cc/wallpaper/1044936
    Hopefully I don’t bork the linkage this time.

Edit- Fail again on my part, do not like this commenting system. lol

21. BreadBitten says:

Eerily reminiscent of the poster to ‘Blade Runner’…

22. Chris D says:

I tried using this as wallpaper but there’s too much white. I nearly go blind every time I close a window.

23. Stevostin says:

” It’s an absolutely stunning piece of work”

It seems I am the only one to disagree, but to me this is of little worth compared to real 70′s artist. The drawing of the girl is pretty perfectible, the overall texture is missing charm, as does the lack of color composition.

Here are some some of the stuff from that time that I think are good :

The global composition is pretty good, thus. IMO this would have needed an extra day of work.

• heretic says:

I like how Luke is holding her ass TIGHT.

• Quinnbeast says:

If you’re going to grope your sister, I suppose one might as well give it a firm squeeze.

• Lightbulb says:

Yes weird. When I’m swinging across random space station ravines I take a loose grip of the girl I’m carrying…

• Stephen Roberts says:

I’ve been trying to figure out what was bugging me about the picture as I read through the comments. I feel, like Stevostin, that it’s not quite superbular. I mean it’s super-great. But I find that the top of the poster seems a little open and out of shape. As if it should all be neatly ensconsed in a portal shape oval. With only a little bit of bleed from certain characters.

But whaddo I know I’m just an Internet goon. Everybody will love it, it’ll sell like… potato cakes.

24. kobre12 says:

WOW!, stunning! :D

25. Jahkaivah says:

“BASED ON THE NOVEL BY CAVE JOHNSON”

26. sexyresults says:

WTB

27. Ralud says:

Valve is politically correct, one of each and both mute.
    Hats off to the artist.

28. TsunamiWombat says:

The deer is a lie.

29. sandcracka says:

Love the artwork! That being said, I thought it would look better in a frame:

I can upload the full size image to anyone if they would like this.

30. Rasputinator says:

Whipped a 1920×1080 wallpaper if anyone wants it. Here: http://min.us/ln0g2Q

31. Zer0w says:

I just made a quick wallpaper out of this, gave it a paper-ish background and a slight gradient effect to finish it.

2560×1600

32. terry says:

Dear Finance Department,

Please send my future paychecks to directly to Valve, Inc, Washington. It’s better to cut out the middleman at this stage.

Regards,

terry

PS What a shame.

33. jon_hill987 says:

Bird! Kill it! It’s evil.

34. littlewilly91 says:

Based on the novel by Cave Johnson? A biography? I would buy? Conspiracy?

35. Kaldor says:

Gabe Newell is kind of like the John Lasseter of games and nerdy stuff. This game in particular seems to be somewhat influenced by Pixar.

Comment on this story