By Quintin Smith on May 6th, 2011 at 8:30 am.
“Give me 1,200 words. I’m going to make you pre-order something you’ve never even heard of,” began Kieron’s preview of turn-based tactical squad combat game Frozen Synapse.
If you haven’t read it yet, now’s the time to blow the dust off and take a look. With the game’s release just around the corner, developers Mode 7 have today released the game’s 55 mission single player campaign into the open beta that’s available to all pre-order customers. Yes, fifty five.
Semi randomly-generated, in these levels you will “escort VIP’s, assassinate nefarious scientists, rob banks, conduct honey-trap operations, defend confused philosophers” and more, AND Frozen Synapse are offering 30% off the asking price of £17 to all new pre-order customers, which actually gets you two copies of the game (so, two Steam activation codes and two sets of beta access). A really funny press release has the full details. Amazing. This is an indie developer Doing It Right, people.
[Hello! – RPS]
Oxford-based indie devs Mode 7 are proud to announce that their simultaneous-turn-based tactical opus Frozen Synapse has entered the horrendous torture pit many developers describe as “final bugtesting”.
Also, it now has an exciting single player campaign…
“We always wanted Frozen Synapse to have a big single player component. This was inherently daft, given the fact that we’re a very small team, but we’ve done it now. We’re very pleased with the results!” ejaculated Joint Managing Director Paul Taylor, quotably.
The single player campaign features missions where you escort VIP’s, assassinate nefarious scientists, rob banks, conduct honey-trap operations and defend confused philosophers, among other things. There are 55 glorious missions in total.
Bullet points for fun and profit:
– The game is set in a near-future city named Markov Geist; various factions vie for power there, from the corporate behemoth Enyo:Nomad to the dangerous cultists of the Blue Sunlight Foundation.
– Do factions ever do anything other than “vie”? They’re just vying all over the shop. Dammit, I’ve wasted a bullet point now.
– Each mission has a defined set of objectives but takes place in a semi-randomly-generated level, so replaying brings unexpected delights
– Once generated, every iteration of each mission is unlocked, meaning that if a particular random configuration tickles your fancy, you can replay it ad infinitum
– Every mission has dynamic dialogue which responds to the player’s actions
– New special units, civilians, friendly AI units, laser tripwires (as requested by the community!), unique single player mission types, rapping hackers, an in-game dossier which allows players to delve into the backstory and a full musical soundtrack all feature in the current pre-order version
All this…and money off as well!? We must be INSANE AT THESE PRICES!!? We must abuse punctuation!!?
To get 30% off the pre-order, all human beings have to do is use the code STANCHER during the order process at http://www.frozensynapse.com
Final release date will be announced very soon.