Patching Windows: Dead Block Announced

By Jim Rossignol on May 6th, 2011 at 8:04 am.

Windows, do you see?
Via Blues I notice that Digital Reality have announced Dead Block, which is an Unreal-powered game about keeping zombies out of your house. They explain that the game contains “innovative defensive gameplay in which the few remaining survivors, Jack Foster (a construction worker), Foxy Jones (a traffic warden), and Mike Bacon (a perpetually hungry boy scout) have formed an unlikely alliance to protect themselves from the invading undead. Hiding in various shelters around town, they avoid Zombies by building blockades, setting fiendish traps or – as a last resort – using their weapons to fight.”

Dead Block features single-player as well as co-op, and the game website has some more images and a trailer.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. P7uen says:

At least the art style has some character. The recent plague of zombie games have been a bit soulless, hopefully this wont turn out to be a shambles.

2. UW says:

I wish someone would make a zombie game without the words “Dead” or “Zombie” in the title.

Oh wait, no I don’t. That would mean another zombie game.

• thegooseking says:

People can make as many zombie games as they like. I’ll just do like I did with World War II shooters: play one or two and ignore the rest.

• Rich says:

House of the Walking Undead Dead LXIV: The Day of the Zombies

Edit: thegooseking has a point. Throw enough shit at a wall and some of it will stick.

• UW says:

True, but if I’m tired of the concept then only the best of the best zombie games will be of interest to me. While devs are making zombie games, they’re spending time that could be used to make other games which I might really like.

3. limbclock says:

Agreed, it’s nice to see more cartoony Art style.

4. Rich says:

At first I thought this was going to be a game type for TF2. What with the (slightly chunky looking) engineer like character and the very similar art style.

5. dee says:

“Urneal powered”

*Unreal

6. Text_Fish says:

Looks like a carbon copy of a Source mod I saw trailered about five years ago.

7. poop says:

ZOMBIES ARE THE NEW WW2 EXCEPT IT IS INDISTINGUISHABLE INDIE STUDIOS MAKIN THE GAMES INSTEAD OF BIG PUBLISHERS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

8. fuggles says:

I want to know more about why it’s an unlikely alliance as surely you’d bunk with anyone not undead in that scenario. Maybe the boy scout is an upper class snob who hates construction workers whilst the traffic warden hates being indoors and the construction worker, self conscious of his back hair tries to shun public company.

9. Kelron says:

“Mike Bacon (a perpetually hungry boy scout)” – do you really want to be holed up with him in a zombie apocalypse?

10. aldo_14 says:

They should have made it like Dungeon Keeper…

11. battles_atlas says:

DIY + zombies? Only question is why it didn’t happen sooner.

Expect Zombie Home Buyer shortly

12. JFS says:

Ah well. Or Dead Sweep, the zombie road sweeping machine simulator.

13. oceanclub says:

I like the look of this; seems like a 3D version of the rather fun “Cottage of Doom”, a concept I always thought was a no-brainer (no pun intended):

P.

14. Kaira- says:

All I want is a good zombie game, that is not about zombies and blasting them, but about co-operation and other people and people’s actions during a catastrophe. Where the most deadly enemy is another human.

Oh well.

15. Outsider says:

I’m afraid I stopped reading when I saw the three words “Zombie” “survivors” and “innovative” too close together.

16. squareking says:

Pardon the terminology I’m using, but

FUCK

I swear: Just a month ago I was sketching out this exact same game. With the UDK. Building blockades. Setting traps. Co-op.

Someone’s watching me.

17. xeon06 says:

There’s a debut teaser on their official YT channel. Surprised you guys didn’t catch this.

18. HilariousCow says:

Concept reminds me of Cottage of Doom by Alex May (of Dyson ^H^H^H^H Euphloria)

19. bhlaab says:

so tower defense plus zombies. sounds innovative.

20. Paravel says:

Looks like it could be fun. My only gripe is that the three characters all look completely unappealing to me. Not the art, just… I’ve played as Mario a thousand times before, so that’s the first guy out. I want to punch snot nosed fatty kids in the face, so not gonna play him. So all that’s left is to play a slightly stereotypical awkward 70′s black female cop named of all things “Foxy”. Greaaaaat.

Comment on this story