Wing And Prayer: Aion Update Is Quite Pretty

By Jim Rossignol on May 6th, 2011 at 8:22 am.

The 2.5 update for Aion, Empyrean Calling, brings in some graphical tweaks and a new character customisation system. It’s really rather lavish, as you can see in the trailer below. It always amazes me to see the amount of content that gets poured into these games, and it’s a strange kind of cruelty that the actual game structure means the likes of me will never actually get to see it. I’d happily wander around as a tourist for a few hours.

Aion players can apparently already access the new patch on the test server.

, , , .

1. Tei says:

AION, you always so pretty!. AION is the equivalent of a girlfriend that talk 24/7 about her fingernails.

• Shadram says:

Heh, excellent analogy. I’d go with “Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds with their shirts off, discussing the relative merits of various brands of spanner.”

• RaytraceRat says:

“AION is the equivalent of a girlfriend that talk 24/7 about his fingers.”
      Maybe he/she lost his fingers during sex change?

• Gvaz says:

Very pretty but with no brain? Sounds about right.

Aion would be better if you could fly everywhere with wings instead of this stupid gliding shit.

2. KauhuK says:

I played Aion for six months with half a year break in between. It’s grindy and quite boring because the pvp balance isnt quite there. The grapical updates are fine but the game cannot be run decently in big fortress pvp battles even in lowest settings. Glad that I’m not playing it anymore.

3. DeepSleeper says:

I’ve always sort of wanted to have an afro sculpted out of soft cheese spread.

This man is living my dream.

• Teddy Leach says:

Brown cheese? Maybe it’s my monitor, but it does look more browny than cheesy.

• Pop says:

He looks so pleased about it too! I don’t think there’s enough opportunities to play self-satisfied fashion disasters in western MMOs

• Berzee says:

I thought it was an intergalactic giant who had smashed a planet on his head.

• DeepSleeper says:

You know, I was just looking at the texture of it.

…it does look kinda brown. Ew.

4. Matt says:

Is that what Koreans think Westerners think is “pimp”?

5. Teddy Leach says:

Why does that person have an ice-cream scoop for hair?

6. Optimaximal says:

It’s Daniel from Transformers: The Movie!

7. B0GiE-uk- says:

That guy certainly looks like a right shithead!

8. Bedeage says:

So much weeaboo..

9. rocketman71 says:

OMFG. How the hell do I make myself forget that Afro made of shit now?.

Thank you SO much for ruining my weekend, Jim.

10. Berzee says:

Awesome :D

But then, I stopped watching as soon as I saw the words “New Instance” =\

davidgilbert says:

Aion online updates, for those who want to wear a helmet of mud on their head (according to the picture) hazzah!

12. CaspianRoach says:

I laughed when the ‘updated graphic engine’ section nosedived FPS in ‘updated’ parts. Seriously if developers themselves don’t have the machine that is capable of running the new engine what do they expect of players? And don’t give me the ‘FRAPS slows your system’ explanation, for these 15 seconds of video material they could’ve done multiple threads or since there is no attached sound they could’ve just dilate time in the game engine or make the movements slower and accelerate them in video editor. This sloppiness just shows developers saying “this game will eat your computer alive”.

• MordeaniisChaos says:

Or just do it the right way with capture hardware….

It also doesn’t help that it just looked like a contrast/ saturation boost. Basically reminded me of all the DA:O texture packs. High resolution my ass. The only real difference was with the cave early on, and that was just the inclusion of a light source… Nothing seems to be actually different about the render process, post processing, or even the textures, beyond the color/contrast bit.

• Zyrusticae says:

Really?

I rather quickly noticed the god rays(/light shafts, whatever you like to call ‘em), depth of field, ambient occlusion, properly dynamic shadow mapping (yay for not having nonsense shadows without a direct light source, or shadows pointing in the wrong direction next to a direct light source, or, y’know, general nonsense), and completely new material shaders.

It’s probably not going to be as noticeable as the color grading, mind, and they also didn’t replace any of the old texture or modeling work.

But, yes, the frame rate hitches were awful. Wtf was in charge of recording this thing? Totally not cool to ruin a good thing like that.

13. bill says:

“It always amazes me to see the amount of content that gets poured into these games, and it’s a strange kind of cruelty that the actual game structure means the likes of me will never actually get to see it. I’d happily wander around as a tourist for a few hours.”

Me too. Makes me sad… i really want to go wandering around LotR Online’s world… but can’t be assed with the actual game.

• Torgen says:

I think I spent two whole days just exploring the Shire when I started. Doing the mail delivery quests exposes you to areas you wouldn’t just stumble upon. The elf and dwarf areas weren’t nearly as nice.

• Kdansky says:

They should make a single player game with the identical art assets (but different mechanics), and just sell that too. Then we’d also give them money.

• Jim Rossignol says:

@kdansky: right!

14. Zyrusticae says:

The test server is actually inaccessible to players until May 12th (for internal testing, apparently).

I’m quite looking forward to it… call me shallow, but mainly for the graphics update and for the change that horribly nerfs sorcerers with INSTANTANEOUS CAST SPEED (still the most /headdesk moment of playing any game, ever – why the hell would they cap attack speed and NOT cast speed?).

I never really noticed the “grind”, and can only shake my head at wonder and bewilderment at how people unfailingly always bring it up everywhere the game is mentioned.

Mind, I hit 50 before the 1.9 patch (which changed XP curves and added quite a few quests) was even released stateside. Am I just inured to grind, or was my PvP-heavy playstyle more exciting than most players’? I do wonder…

15. silverhammermba says:

Thanks God they’ve finally added loli to the game.

16. Highstorm says:

But you still can’t fly whenever, wherever and for however long you want? No thanks.

• Torgen says:

what a shame, especially since the wings were what they hyped during development, and the NCsoft wholly-owned City of Heroes does let you fly anywhere.

17. Jake says:

To summarise: this fellow has a mud shit ice-cream cheese planet afro and seems super-smug about it.

18. sjmck says:

So you can play as the Sixth Doctor, huh?