Perpetuum Expands, 15-day Trial

By Jim Rossignol on May 7th, 2011 at 12:17 pm.

Robot-battling MMO Perpetuum has expanded and evolved a bit. Avatar Creations are keen to show off these new features by offering fifteen days to everyone, including fifteen days of game time added to the account of everyone who previously signed up to play. The game has six new islands to explore, three of which are open to PvP. The full breakdown of the expansion details can be found in this devblog. You can register and download the client to get your 15 day trial.

, , .

1. Batolemaeus says:

Nice to see Perpetuum is trucking along fine.
    I might consider playing again some day, as Eve gets more broken with every month of abandonment by the devs.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Eve was broken from the moment they introduced the first carriers. I’ve been considering writing an opinion piece about how I’d play Eve again if it was rolled back to the pre-capship/jumpdrive era. Or perhaps if it an alternate branch of it could be developed that would stop skirmish warfare having been ruined.

I dunno. Shame.

• kibayasu says:

I’ve always had fun with EvE, but maybe that’s perhaps because I left fleet combat behind after being in a couple alliances. The corp and I basically relocated to a few low-sec/null-sec borders and preyed on whomever we came across.

Anyways, I haven’t even heard of this game, and I’m always willing to give giant robots a chance.

• Jim Rossignol says:

“The corp and I basically relocated to a few low-sec/null-sec borders and preyed on whomever we came across.”

Sure, we did that too, but after a while you can’t help but get tired of station huggers, or having capships dropped on you by nearby alliances.

• kibayasu says:

Well yes, that happens often but I never really minded it that much; it’s not like I haven’t ever sat in a station waiting for a raiding party to move on because I didn’t have a ship to fight them or no one else I trusted to fight them with me was around. I also could just be crazy but we generally thought having someone drop a mothership on you while you’re sitting on gate was fun.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I felt the tactical nuance that the game had before jumpdrive-capable ships were widely used was much more interesting. The existence of ships that you can’t kill with a small gang just killed what was exciting about the game to me, which had always been hit and run engagements. Worse, jump drives meant that traps that could not be effectively scouted became de riguer. Which became tedious.

Worse still, I think jump drives made logistics too easy. Escorting carriers and freighters through dangerous areas of space *because you had to* was far more interesting than what’s possible now.

But I had been playing it daily for almost five years, so perhaps it was just time to move on.

• Batolemaeus says:

If you think carriers were bad, look at what Eve has become with supercarriers. The de facto only viable ship in 0.0 warfare. Sucking so many resources, but as they are mandatory, people will do anything do get them, including using huge armies of bots to farm.

At least with carriers, you can break them and they have terrible dps and are easy to tackle. Also, they are easily replaceable. And you could counter with dreads, which are now entirely obsolete.

Eve looked like a game that could avoid getting dragged into mudflation. But as CCP no longer does any substantial balancing, it just got meh.

But, as we’re in a Perpetuum thread here..I hadn’t logged in since the beta ended and won’t claim to know too much about it. How bad is the mudflation in Perpetuum?

• WMain00 says:

Eve’s priorities and methods may have changed, particularly with the like of super carrier and carrier based warfare, but it’s still an interesting enough game to play.

• Dawngreeter says:

Not to get in the way of you folks shaking your walking sticks at them gods-blasted newfangled trains passing by, I’m sure it’s hella fun. But I’d just like to call bullshit on the dev-abandonment comment.

It’s bullshit.

Also, golden age comics were a lot better than this modern crap.

• Batolemaeus says:

@Dawngreeter, four words for you:
      Factional Warfare, Supercaps, Technetium.
      It’s all about shiny while the game goes to shit.

• Dawngreeter says:

@Batolemaeus, I am completely surprised that you have a list of issues that annoy you to accompany your whining and moaning. Like, woah. Is that a new trend on the Internet?

• Lilliput King says:

About as new as whiny-arse contrarians swapping discussion for slurs.

• Dawngreeter says:

Touche.

2. thepaleking says:

Well, it’s got mechs. That’s reason enough for me to trial it.

3. Torgen says:

Please be aware that the 15 days started ticking the moment they announced this, *not* when you first log back in. It uses the same offline skill advancement as Eve.

4. Torgen says:

Great costumer service! I’ve been *looking* for help with my costume!

Edit: buhbye, spammer with no spell check.

5. Odiorne Point says:

Has anybody actually played this recently? I’d love to hear some opinions.

6. Zarunil says:

Sooooo… about this so called “computer game”. Is it any good?

7. Quinnbeast says:

I’ll be dabbling with this one over the next couple of weeks. As a farily long time Eve player (approaching 4 years), it’s nice to dip in to a game that’s in it’s infancy. Like buying a brand new pair of underpants I suppose.

While a lot of the background mechanics such as skill selection/upgrade and weapon tiers have been compared to EvE, the gameplay itself feels pretty distinct. I’ve heard a few promising rumours about 100-man robot stompy-stompy PvP scraps, which is enough to make me sit up and take notice. From what little I’ve played, the community seem happy to help the new arrivals too.

8. mmalove says:

Just attempted to download the trial, got 2/3 the way downloaded and the downloader generated an unexpected error and crashed.

Sigh.

I get this is a smaller developer, but they are nonetheless asking for a subscription fee, something typically associated with premium gaming. Hitting my first bug/crash before I’ve even installed the software erased any interest I have in becoming invested in this game.

9. matrices says:

I hadn’t heard anything about this game since months ago when it was in development. Seems kind of telling that none of the comments here have anything to say about it, either.

10. neofit says:

So, is there any PvE content yet? At least the devs were honest, saying something like “we are a small developer, we can’t afford to make a lot of PvE content, so here’s a bit of land, go and fight each other and make your own content”. Now I read they added 6 islands, 3 of which are open for PvP. So what are the other 3 for? (as in: they haven’t become a “big developer” in 6 months, have they?)

11. kennycrown says:

iPhone is an apple in lots Solar charger of fashion-following person’s eyes. The iPhone is becoming more popular and being widely used right now. We usually use it in our daily life and work as it has numerous features.

The circumstance had Iphone solar charger happened to most of us, exactly where we went to use iphone and it was power off with no sites and no way to refresh it. Those were the old days, currently with the use of an iPhone solar charger, will never be away from a power source again.
    As the arrival of iPone solar charger, Mobile solar charger, we can say goodbye to this annoying thing. The cool iPone solar charger provide you three ways to power up your iPhone: via AC outlet, via USB connect to your computer and via sun.Cellphone Solar Charger Multiple choices make your operation easier and convenient.