The RPS Bargain Bucket: Maximum Savings

By Lewie Procter on May 7th, 2011 at 12:19 pm.

You ready for some heavily discounted downloads? Me too! The various digital distributors are clamoring your your business as usual this weekend, so here’s your guide to finding the best deals across all outlets. SavyGamer.co.uk is the spiritual home of cut price gaming on the internet. Lets delve into this week’s bargain bucket, and see what we find.

Super Street Fighter 4 [Arcade Edition] – £18.30/€20.93/$29.96
Apply coupon “SIZZLE”.
Capcom’s utterly insane “We’re not releasing the PC version of Super Street Fighter 4 that we have already made because some people might pirate it” stance has lost them at least one sale on this. Perhaps I’ll just pirate it on either of the consoles that they’re releasing it on which also support piracy. I’m not refusing to buy this out of bitterness though, it’s just that I have already bought the console toy version of Super Street Fighter 4, and I don’t think it’s worth paying for twice. If you’ve not yet bought one of the previous versions of this, then Arcade Edition is the most definitive version yet. It might be worth holding off for the inevitable Tournament Edition though.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings [Digital Premium] – £20.60/€23.56/$33.71
Apply coupon “SIZZLE”.
Excitement has been gradually building for this one, as early reports indicate it could be something quite special. Alec listified some of the reasons to pay attention to CD Projekt’s ambitious sequel here, and there’s Alec and Jim flavoured previews here and here. I was a little apathetic about Assassins of Kings at first, since the first one didn’t particularly grab me, but I’m coming round to it more now. I’m a sucker for meaty combat in RPGs, and the “click to wave sword at enemy until they fall over” combat of the first didn’t really keep my interest.

Frozen Synapse x2 – £11.89/€13.29/$18.19
Apply coupon “STANCHER”.
This is two copies of the game, which (optionally) registers on Steam. You get instant access to the most recent WIP build.
Mode 7 successfully made all of the other press releases look rubbish when they announced the release of the single player campaign the other day. But is their click-killing as good as their copy? I’d say so. I’ve spent a little bit of time with the beta, whilst I’ve been getting routinely trounced every game, the ingredients for a top notch strategy thing are all there, I just think I need the comforting embrace of single player campaign to help me learn the ropes. A release date announcement is waiting just around the corner, most likely with a shotgun.

All of the Mens of War for cheap.
You can get the Collector’s pack with all three games, or get any of them at an individual discount too. Here’s wot Jim thinks of the latest entry in the series, Assault Squad:

what Assault Squad does do is transform and reinvigorate Men Of War as a multi-player game, as well as set itself in stone as one of the greatest and grandest co-op games available. It’s precisely this kind of overwrought game that only the PC can do, and I feel thrilled and delighted that it exists. You should too.

More RPS coverage here.

Deal of the week
Crysis – £2.49/€3.74/$7.49
I’ve actually been playing this on my badass new PC this week. It’s a bit pretty, but everyone talks about that. It’s also nuts. There was this one time where I needed to get past an output with 10-15 hostiles milling about, but I didn’t have much ammo. I tried to use the cloak to get past undetected, but I realised I was going run out of energy before I could get to a hiding spot, and had 3/4 enemies in close range. “Cloak Disengaged..Maximum Speed” says the sexy suit voice as I sprinted to put some distance between me and the nasties in my immediate vicinity. I lobbed a grenade their way, but this attracted the attention of the rest of the guards. I went for cover behind a truck at the edge of the outpost, and big group of guard headed my way. They crowded behind the truck, so I backed up and unloaded my last pistol clip into it’s fuel tank, and got rewarded by a massive explosion, taking out most of the guards. That’s fairly typical of the freedom of expression you get in choosing how you want to make the baddies die, and whilst the graphical fidelity is absolutely worth applauding, Crysis is more than just a pretty face. It’s a bit of a shame that the environments in the sequel were mostly corridors, wider corridors and self contained arenas. You’ve got til 6pm UK time to get this.

Dirt 3 – £20.21/€23.10/$33.07. Apply coupon “SCORCHIO25″.
Arcania: Gothic 4 – £6.10/€6.98/$9.99
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – £3.98/€5.98/$5.98. Registers on Steam.
Tomb Raider: Anniversary – £4/€6/$6
Tomb Raider: Underworld – £5.98/€7.98/$7.98
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templar’s [Directors Cut] – £2.50/€2.50/$2.50
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror: Remastered – £1.98/€2.48/$2.98
The Oddbox is supposed to be on sale for £6.49/€7.49/$7.49 at Get Games, but it’s still full price at checkout atm. I’ll keep an eye on it, because that’s a great price.

For cheap games pumped into your web browser around the clock, get yourself over to SavyGamer.co.uk.

__________________

« | »

1. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Why won’t GfW just die already

• bit_crusherrr says:

This, I can’t install Viva Pinata I got off GFWL for £1 because my C:\ drive doesn’t have enough space… even though I want to install it to H:\. Whoever thought that shit up needs a slap.

• beloid says:

because of the sexy wallpapers they gave out for free last month or so?

• trjp says:

FAO bit-Crussherrrrrererrer – running your system disk close-to-full will be wrecking your PC’s performance – you should have AT LEAST 25% free – preferrably 40%.

I agree on games which don’t like being installed anywhere other than C: however the only one I’ve actually encountered in AGES is Frozen Synapse (which needs elevated privs if you run it anywhere other than default) and that will be Steamed soon so…

• Kaira- says:

Because it isn’t all that bad and it apparently has users?

• Rich says:

“Because it isn’t all that bad” You’re wrong.
      “… and it apparently has users?” They’re also wrong.

• Bhazor says:

@ Bitcrusherer

Viva Pinata is about 6gigs. If you’ve not got that much space on your primary drive you’re computer must be grinding to a halt.

• timmyvos says:

@Bhazor, Actually GFWL requires three times the disc space, to download everything, to install everything and the game itself.

• Wilson says:

For me, GFWL hasn’t done anything drastic like explode my computer, it’s just that it’s clunky to use, needlessly irritating in some ways, and some bits just don’t seem to work for me (want to update it from inside a game so you can play online? Nope! Have an unhelpful error message instead…) When everything goes smoothly with a GFWL game in my experience it’s always a pleasant and somewhat unexpected surprise.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@Wilson,

I was trying to be a bit specific on the GfW itself, as I’m sure most people run and hide at the mention of GfWL, but, I would like to point out that, yes it could be ok, but, like you said yourself, it is tempermental, and frequently leads to headaches when trying to play even singleplayer games. Actually why I haven’t bothered replaying DW2, and also the reason I haven’t installed Batman:Arkham Asylum tbh.
      Had it once, made it too hard work, never again.
      Might pick up DW2 Retribution when the price drops a bit though.

• Wilson says:

@Corrupt_Tiki – Ah fair enough, I kind of assumed it might have been a typo. I have no strong feelings about GFW either way. On the other hand, I do enjoy complaining about GFWL. The fact it isn’t totally and utterly terrible almost makes it worse somehow :)

• supagold says:

@bit_crusherrr

Have you tried using an NTFS junction point to trick the installer? They often work in situations like that, and are also useful for steam. Software like junction link magic makes managing them relatively easy. (You can also do it from the command line…)

• Deano2099 says:

There’s no need to keep that much free space on your C drive if you have an SSD

• amorpheous says:

There was an update to GFWL a few days ago on Windows Update. I just had a look at it and the Settings page has options for where you want to download and install games.
      That said, I don’t own any games on GFWL so I don’t ever use it. I’d prefer to keep all my games on Steam if possible, but I’ve been using EADM since I got Crysis 2 from D2D (because it woz cheaper and Steam won’t allow registration). Also, games that are on GFWL and not on Steam are usually the ones not worth caring about in my experience. If MSFT actually ported some of their XBox exclusives to PC (Halo, GoW, etc.) it’d be another story…

• trjp says:

GFW and other services like EA’s downloader need TWICE the space, not three times. They download the game installer (one lot of space) and then install from that (2nd lot).

Whether you have an SSD or not, leaving less than 20-25% of your HDD free means it’s impossible to defrag/optimise that disc properly and that WILL effect performance.

If you had an SSD, I’d assume you’d care about that MORE and not less – I still think they’re a total waste of money myself, but each to their own…

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@trjp

SSD’s are not a waste of money, I can tell you, of course it comes down to how much money you have, how much you value system performance etc.

But saying they are a waste of money is completely ignorant and stupid.
      I bought a small one (capacity wise they were too pricey for the bigger ones) and I only have my OS installed on it and Hardware drivers, the performance increase was immediate and very noticeable.
      That said, I have 3 other HDDs (mostly 7,200rpm)for programs and games around 2.5tb total.

• trjp says:

My reasoning for writing-off SSDs for most people works on the basis that most people don’t actually work them hard enough to justify their cost.

The performance claims always focus on startup-time – totally ignoring the fact that most PC users startup their PC maybe once or twice a month (sleep mode ftw!!)

The rest of the gains you’re seeing come from repeated access to (mostly larger) files – and who actually does that?? Long before you get an SSD, you should have enough RAM to reduce swapping to a minimum – so unless you invoke software packages/games repeatedly “for the hell of it”, the realistic savings will be tiny.

If your PC is super-high-end then of course you’ll have an SSD (or more than 1 in RAID config) – and the fastest CPU, fastest RAM and highest-end video card on the market (all those things offer more bang per pound than an SSD).

For the rest of us, I think SSDs aren’t worth the cash right now – they need to be more reliable, have a longer lifespan AND be at least twice the capacity and/or half the price before that happens…

• Deano2099 says:

@trjp

You don’t defrag an SSD.

What would be the point of that?

For games SSDs really are a luxury yes, but if you use a computer a lot the sheer increase in responsiveness is just wonderful. It’s impossible to demonstrate without actually using one. If I tell you Notepad now opens instantly instead of taking a second to load, you’ll say ‘so what?’ – But everything just popping up instantly is brilliant.

• Jim Rossignol says:

SSDs are the best thing to happen to PCs.

• Trans says:

@TRJP – have to disagree with you (just a little bit) I’m afraid. The two best buys for me in the last couple of years have been a pcie soundcard and an SSD. Windows boot time as you say is much faster, but also all of my applications open and respond immediately too. Add to that the improved installation times… Big Bang Buck, especially when you work in IT. The soundcard has also improved gaming and music, though tbh I really need a 5.1 surround system to utilise its potential.

• Deano2099 says:

What’s the point of getting a car with better suspension if you could have one with a bigger engine instead?

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It’s come up a few times in conversation with friends: someone’s remarked that despite massive increases in CPU speed, computers often don’t *feel* much faster. Because the one thing that hasn’t changed, the real bottleneck is many use cases, is the random access time of a spinning platter. Everything has to be loaded from the drive into memory at least once, and operating systems generally aren’t smart enough to predict your desires in advance.

The only people I know who’ve been underwhelmed by SSDs are those who installed one in a netbook. There, the bottleneck is still usually the shitty Atom processor.

Sadly, they remain quite expensive, and I don’t begrudge anyone who opts to spend $160 on 2x2TB of storage, rather than 80GB of raw speed.

• Rii says:

I <3 my SSD, but it can't change the fact that my CPU is below minimum spec for The Witcher 2. =/

• triple omega says:

@trjp:
      Are you from an alternate universe or something? Because your logic seems to be inverted.

1) Most people don’t use sleep-mode. Hell I’m pretty sure a large potion doesn’t even know of its existence or its function.

2) The largest gain from SSD’s is not reading and writing large files, it’s small files! This is because of the very low access-times on SSD’s compared to HDD’s. If you want raw transfer speed, just put HDD’s in RAID-0.(Although even in that area SSD’s are starting to gain the upper hand price-wise.)

3) You can’t compare different PC components in a “bang for buck” comparison without a goal. So stating that a better videocard is always a better investment then an SSD is simply false. A videocard does not help you load files faster from a permanent storage unit, so it can’t be compared directly to it.

Also, for almost everything but benchmarks, faster RAM then DDR3-1066 CL6/7 is a way worse investment then an SSD.

4) The lifespan of a current MLC SSD under normal consumer use is (way) longer then it’s technical lifespan. Meaning your PC and SSD will be ancient before it is likely to die. You’re more likely to see your HDD die then your SSD in any case.

5) The only thing I agree on is that SSD’s need to get a lower €/GB ratio before mainstream adoption can begin. This has however nothing to do with your above points, but rather with the fact that it is, like a very fast CPU and videocard, a luxury product. You don’t need to have it to do anything, but you want to have it.

• Lewie Procter says:

SSDs are the shit.

• trjp says:

I speak only from personal experience – that and having had to recover 3 systems after an SSD failed (admiteddly 2 were laptops but failure is failure)

If you like em, that’s great – I was given an Intel SSD (the warranty replacement for the desktop failure that the owner didn’t trust anymore) and whilst my PC was certainly quicker, the idea that it was FAR more likely to crap-out just drove me back to HDDs (that and the fact that a 30GB drive and W7 really don’t tango).

As a software developer, in my head I saw the 10s of 1000s of file updates I do everyday (Dropbox reports over 300 changes to one file alone today) and I think “that’s going to hasten it’s death in a BIG way”. Not putting those files on it would, of course, eliminate the point of it…

There’s a DEEP irony that people would want an SSD despite not realising they can sleep their PC and get it back and working in seconds tho – that’s like spending £1000s improving your car’s performance without noticing it has more than 1 gear :)

So – as I said – when they’re twice the size, half the price and WAY more reliable, I’m in.

• Trans says:

@TRJP – in what way did the SSDs die/fail? I have RAID1 and Robocopy backup solutions in place so it isn’t much of an issue, but I’m still interested in the problems you have seen. Cheers :)

• bit_crusherrr says:

I guess next time I reinstall windows I need to make my windows only partition a little bigger then. And I’ll have to look into that junction link magic thanks guys.

• mwoody says:

Why would someone need “25-40%” of their HDD free? That seems a silly thing. I’d always keep a 500MB buffer for safety – no version of windows handles a full HDD very well, particularly if there’s not room to save an updated registry – but beyond that, there’s little reason to be so stingy. It might make its background defragmenting process a little slower, I guess, but the user will never see that.

• iainl says:

GFWL has it’s faults. But unlike SECUROM it hasn’t stopped me playing that copy of Crysis all weekend.

• trjp says:

SSD Failures.

The laptop ones started delivering corrupted files. 2 different laptops – the SSDs were different makes and connectors (one ZIF one SATA) – both failed within 3 months of acquisition from the same supplier. We had a massive battle with them (a major UK Memory seller I won’t mention) who claimed the failures were due to ‘abuse’ (vibration and heat) and it took small claims court action to recover the cost (we’d never recover the dozens of hours of time).

The desktop one just stopped working one day – it simple powered-down and stayed that way. It was about 4 months old and was swapped without hesitation by the supplier – so I guess that’s really not a criticism of the format as it was clearly faulty hardware. When I gave-up on the replacement I sold it on to someone and last I heard it was AOK (it will be about 1 year old now).

I know 3 other people running SSDs – all in games machines (so a total failure isn’t really a loss), but as someone who works on their PC, the idea of using a “higher risk of failure” device is something I can’t countenance (and I couldn’t dream of RAIDing them at their cost).

Even with full backups, I reckon on a hardware failure costing me at least 2-3 days work. I doubt the speed of the drive would get me that back :)

2. Anthile says:

The sizzle code doesn’t work from Germany, I already tried it earlier.

• Lewie Procter says:

Did you try on the USA site? It is only for the USA site.

• Caleb367 says:

I’ll confirm this, the “sizzle” code does not work for the EU (I’m from Italy). Usual D2D shafting non-US customers.
      Oh well, I’ll get my Witcher 2 from GOG.com, thanks.

• Burning Man says:

You have the added benefit of a digital artbook and the knowledge that you’re paying CD Projekt as directly as possible! I’d say GOG all the way.

• -Spooky- says:

*mhm* Got Dirt3 from the US site. I´m in CH right now. Strange ..

• dc says:

Works fine on Street Figher from Germany.

3. Recidivist says:

“Games For Windows Deal of the week: Fuel for two and half times more than the regular Steam price.”

Love it.

4. King Toko says:

I bought the Crysis pack yesterday on Steam. Its still great after nearly 5 years. I wonder if we will be able to say that with Crysis 2 in five years time?

• Gunsmith says:

my money is on people will stop talking about Crysis 2 in 5 months

• Cinek says:

Crysis 2 forum already get more and more deserted, lack of new patches combined with huge issues of the game (!connection problems!) make it more and more likely everyone shall forget about it soon… and those who won’t – will when they reach maximum level.

• Bhazor says:

Huh? It got a major patch released last week. It’s fourth patch in two months.

• gganate says:

In a lot of ways, Crysis seems like the sequel to Crysis 2. I enjoyed Crysis 2, but regret purchasing it for 60 bucks. The single-player doesn’t have much replay value and there’s a damn cutscene about every 5 minutes. Situations like Lewie described are missing. Reviewers should have been harder on it.

• The Hammer says:

I too bought Crysis yesterday on Steam (at that price, why wouldn’t you?) and I’m having tremendous fun already. Past the unskippable cutscenes at the start, once you’re in the game it’s instantly gratifying. Like Lewie, I’ve only recently got a new PC, and Crysis is just the perfect benchmark for it.

Quick couple of questions though: is the multiplayer portion still populated, and – more importantly – is it any good?

• Carra says:

Well, Crysis was a great benchmark for my pc… 3 years ago.

• Rii says:

If it’s still the most demanding title out there, what matter when it was released?

• iainl says:

I did too, but somewhere Steam, EA and SECUROM I can’t get it to take the cd key. Quite grumpy about it, and the Steam support thread is up to 50 pages without sign of an answer.

5. Corrupt_Tiki says:

No just cause 2 on PC for under 10? for shame. =(

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Also, hope someone else picked up on steams mid week sale of Plants vs Zombies, it was going for 2.95$

I missed it because my internet was capped =/

• Delusibeta says:

It’s been lower. Hell, the disc version’s only six quid from GameStation’s website. http://www.gamestation.co.uk/gs/just-cause-2-39271

[Edit] Just Cause 2, I mean.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

-__- lol, I was sort of hoping that I might not get something like that pointed out, in the time since this article has gone up, and now (about 1-2hours), I have bought ArmA: reinforcements, LOMAC, Hearts of Iron 3, and now this. I hope Lewie is enjoying his gold limousine, payed for by yours truly. :P

6. Roland says:

The Witcher 2 direct link is not working for me, otherwise great as usual.
    Keep up the good work Lewie.

• Lewie Procter says:

It seems to work fine here. It could be because it is redirecting you to one of the other region version of the site?

• Petrushka says:

Direct2Drive says: “This product is available for purchase worldwide excluding Australia and New Zealand.”

Well gee thanks. I guess I’ll be getting my copy from GOG then (even if I hadn’t already pre-ordered it), and completely free of DRM to boot. GREAT way of attracting returning business, D2D!

• Delusibeta says:

Do you want to know why it’s not available in Austalia and New Zealand? It’s because thouse areas will be getting a censored version. And yes, GOG will give you the censored version, unless you download behind a proxy.
      Thankfully, the censorship will only go as far as cutting off the “sex for quest reward” paths.
      [Edit for spelling]

7. trjp says:

A newish addition to the bargain-finders toolkit is this

Nice tool for digging for bargains – esp on the less commonly visited sites – and it seems more ‘internationalised’ than a lot of the Steam/D2D tools too.

For example it brings-up Loki – which is an average-to-meh Diablo-a-like – 99c is not a lot of money tho…

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

That seems like quite the site, bookmarked!

• j6m says:

At #9 is Crysis for £2.49 if you “Join 9 others and get it instantly from Steam” which sounds ever-so-slightly fishy to me…

It’s probably just counting clicks but the way the phrase is worded makes it sound like an assurance contract.

• trjp says:

Why does it sound fishy? *LOL*? :)

It’s 9th in whatever sort-order you’ve chosen (discount, price etc. etc.) and 9 people have clicked on his referral link (I assume).

I don’t imagine sites like that drive much traffic to Steam – us Steamers tend to notice bargains without their help – but that tool highlights allsorts of deals I’d probably never have been bothered to find otherwise…

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Hey, since when is Amazon doing digital game downloads? And what’s their DRM like?

• Djdclarke says:

The clicks are just the number of people who have clicked through since the last DB clean, which was 3 days ago. I’ll change the wording if you think it’s confusing :)

• suibhne says:

@Till: Amazon’s been at this for awhile now. No added DRM, lifetime re-downloads. A buddy did a good writeup of the service here:

• Vinraith says:

“No added DRM” my ass.

Amazon’s system is client-based, and a client is DRM. It also has a habit of breaking and not properly installing games, based on the couple I’ve purchased from them.

• j6m says:

@Djdclarke: No need to worry – I’m just worked up over all the Groupon ads I’m seeing everywhere else. ;)

8. Lightbulb says:

Ok Frozen Synapse – where do you enter the coupon? Can’t see anywhere to enter it? :(

Google ftw:

• Lewie Procter says:

If you’re paying by paypal, the coupon option appears after putting in your details. If you pay by card, it appears before.

9. detective says:

Hmm it seems that crysis has a 5 machine activation limit, then again I ‘am only paying £2.. Decision time.

10. Alexander Norris says:

The Witcher 2 price you list is incorrect, Lewie. For the UK, they add $6 in tax, which means it comes out to £24-odd instead of £20.

• Alistair says:

Same in the US – the $33 price is actually $40.

• Jolly Teaparty says:

Yup, still cheaper to get from The Hut unfortunately. £22.80, or if you use Quidco for additional cashback it’s £22.34

11. Fwiffo says:

After a slight balls up last night, Steam gave away that today’s sale item would be Dead Space. 1 for 50% off and 2 with 25% off.

Don’t quote me 100% on it but it seems to be the general consensus, with Battlefield or Spore likely for Sunday.

• Bhazor says:

That Dead Space sale sounds pretty crummy compared to the previous sales.
      But the inevitable Battlefield sale should be a good ‘un.

• Caleb367 says:

No C&C / Red Alert sale? Seems odd…

• malkav11 says:

Oooh, a whole 25% off a game with ridiculous server-based install-limit DRM (Dead Space 2). I am aquiver with joy.

75%, you might, -might- pique my interest.

• The Hammer says:

Hmm.

This makes me regret not having bought Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on Steam, ‘cos I reckon part of the discount will be for the Vietnam pack.

• geldonyetich says:

Dead Space 2′s Steam price turned out to be 40% off. Huzzah – I was waiting for that game.

• Fwiffo says:

@Caleb367: There was a C&C weekend sale on Steam a few weeks ago. They were all 75% if I recall.

Also it was indeed Dead Space for today’s sale. 75% off the first (£3.75) and 40% off the second. (£17.99)

I hope tomorrow is Battlefield day. Still haven’t gotten round to buying BC2: Vietnam.

• malkav11 says:

Still not low enough to deal with the DRM, but 40% is definitely more of a real discount.

12. Ignorant Texan says:

This note is included on the Steam information page for Men of WAR -”This product does not support Windows 95/98/ME/2000/NT or XP x64/Vista x64!“. I would assume this also includes Win7x64. Using internet search gave inconclusive results as to whether there is a work-around/compatibility fix. Do any of y’all know of a way to get the original MoW to work with MSx64 OSs?(I’m using Win7 Home Premiunx64, fwiw).

• 3lbFlax says:

I have 64-bit Widows 7 Home Premium and the original Men of War from Steam – no problems here. Except beating the second level, but I can’t blame that on the OS.

• Alastair says:

Same here. Am running Win 7 Professional 64 bit. Got Men Of War from Impulse, installed and ran no problem.

• trjp says:

TBH – as far as games are concerned, there’s only one factor in whether it will run on 64-bit Vista/W7 and that’s patchable for most executables anyway…

I think they are conflating what it WILL run on and what they’ll SUPPORT it running on (XP and Vista 64 were hamstrung by shitty hardware support amongst other issues – not an issue with W7 really).

• Ignorant Texan says:

Thanks, y’all. I was corn-fused as there seemed to be some gnashing of teeth about this on the Steam and 1C forums. Considering how cheap MoW is atm, I’ll take what sounds like a small chance it won’t work on my machine.

• Gnoupi says:

Don’t take chances, take demos! http://store.steampowered.com/app/7830

13. Rinox says:

The Crysis sale is the first sale worth it on the ‘EA week’. The rest was just a joke. :-)

• laddyman says:

The weekend sales are always better then the weekdays’ in these week-long “game-a-day” catalog sales.

• r1n53out says:

Mass Effect for £2.49 was a decent enough deal to get me to buy it…

• Rinox says:

Yeah true, ME1 was a good enough deal but has been on sale so many times before that I figured most people would own it already. :-) But stuff like Dragon Age 2 for 33 € (can be bought for 12 € on amazon), or 10 € for Sims furniture packs were pretty pathetic sales.

14. Eclipse says:

I’ve already preordered The Witcher 2 boxed from zavvi for somthing like 26 eur, if not I’d totally be over that D2D coupon code.

Oh PC gaming, how I love you….

• Bhazor says:

As much as I love GoG and CD Projeckt I’ll be getting the retail boxed version too. I’m just a sucker for collector’s editions feelies and that artwork tome looks frickin’ gorgeous.

The fact it’s considerably cheaper buying it through Amazon is another factor.

15. Fumarole says:

GOG has an Atari sale this weekend:

MASTER OF MAGIC
    MASTER OF ORION 1+2
    MASTER OF ORION 3
    TOTAL ANNIHILATION: COMMANDER PACK
    TOTAL ANNIHILATION: KINGDOMS + EXPANSION

$16.95 for all of the above or 30% off individual titles ($6.99 for MoO3 or $4.19 for each of the others).

• Rinox says:

How is Master of Magic? I’m looking for opinions, cause it looks very interesting.

• Nick says:

Its brilliant fun, a truely excellent game that deserves to be ripped off even more than Age of Wonders did (which was great too, but not quite as great).

• sinister agent says:

I would second that. Master of Magic is a unique take on civilisation, with (simple, non-fiddly) turn-based battles and masses army building and fun spells rather than dry ‘bigger numbers’ units and abstract research. It has all the obvious fantasy trappings, but manages to be fun and interesting with it, and while there are hundreds of units and skills and that, you don’t need an encyclopaedic knowledge to enjoy, or get good at, the game.

Don’t bother with diplomacy though. It’s only useful for delaying the inevitable, and getting spells (if you’re lucky and find a spellbook in a ruin or tower, you might get acess to a whole new discipline via diplomacy).

In short: get it. It’s a terrible shame that nobody’s really done it again since.

• malkav11 says:

It’s the best fantasy 4X I have ever played, bar none. Age of Wonders and Elemental both hoped to resurrect the magic of Master of Magic and neither actually does as far as I’m concerned (though the Age of Wonders franchise is at least decent, and Elemental may someday get there.).

• drewski says:

The seven people on the planet who don’t already own Total Annihilation have no more excuses at that price.

• mwoody says:

Master of Magic is second only to X-Com in my desire for a faithful, high-budget modern remake.

Elemental is the highest budget attempt, and it suuuuuucks.

• Vinraith says:

@drewski

Perhaps, but why would we want it, exactly?

• drewski says:

‘coz it’s awesome.

Or, I guess, it was a decade and a half ago anyway.

16. poop says:

anybody wanna trade my extra copy of the monkey island remake for 1/2 of a frozen synapse preorder? hit me up yo http://steamcommunity.com/id/frmfrnzy

17. Xiyng says:

Funny, yesterday I noticed the original Crysis has SecuROM online activations (limited to five activations) on Steam while the original retail version had just a disc check.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Yes, I noticed, and am very glad I bought Crysis retail ^^

18. Hellraiserzlo says:

I can’t get past the phone authorization in D2D :(

19. 3lbFlax says:

Just a heads up on Crysis through Steam – Securom doesn’t seem to be working at the moment, so it won’t register and you can’t play it. The Steam forum thread is here:

Classic scenes.

20. Diziet Sma says:

** Reply fail, seems the reply bit gets lost if you weren’t logged in when you click reply. This should be in the first comment thread. Oops**

Just like steam (e.g. install it somewhere sensible) you should do a similar thing with GfWL, after installing go into settings and change where it downloads and where it installs its games. Problem solved.

21. iLag says:

anyone out there who still needs some Magicka in his life? try the 50% off-er on GreenManGaming, then. http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/action/magicka/

in other news: all the Majestys ever released and their expansions for 12,49€ on Impulse. not bad. http://impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W2209

22. mpk says:

Bought Crysis through Steam only to find that tthe CD key is invalid. WTF?

EDIT: Aha, I’m not the only one it seems

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Read the comment 2 notches up from yours, securom is down, so you can’t use it atm -__-

Drm monster strikes again

*EDIT* Ninja’d >.<

23. iLag says:

quick question: do I need Crysis Warhead in order to play that MechWarrior mod or is the original Crysis enough?

EDIT: ugh, nothing that a quick google search couldn’t fix. Crysis Wars it is, then.

24. iLag says:

apparently the recently released terribly hard indie zombie’em up Dead Meets Lead is already 60% off at Gamersgate. any good? http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DML/dead-meets-lead

EDIT: same deal’s on Desura – http://www.desura.com/games/dead-meets-lead/news/release-party-special

25. NR says:

Just took a look at the GFW Marketplace – they’re selling Bulletstorm for £59.99 (!!). Stay classy forever, Microsoft.

26. v_ware says:

The witcher 2 no worky for EU…

27. Wedge says:

Wow, SSFIV AE is up for pre-release? They didn’t confirm a release date for it yet, much less say anything about the game (presumably the same stuff as the prior release though). I believe they said in an interview there will be a 4 pack deal for it on Steam, wonder how that’ll compare… it is so much prettier to play on PC.

28. omicron1 says:

Your haiku is a bit disjointed, laddie.

29. Rii says:

Bad comment system; bad!

30. Lewie Procter says:

To clarify, I don’t think Crysis 2 is rubbish, it’s actually really good.

It’s just that it is a good corridor shooter, and the first is much more than that.

It’s still leagues above COD and it’s ilk.

• Vandelay says:

I agree with this completely. Crysis 2 is most definitely not a terrible game (sometimes I think people need to play more really bad games to get some perspective.) It is enjoyable for what it is. It is not a FPS in the vein of Crysis or Far Cry though.

It reminds me more of FEAR in some ways, with its arena type sections, although it is on a slightly larger scale.

31. BarneyL says:

Ceville is available on UK D2D for £2.50, seems to be a good price for an adventure game with not bad reviews.

32. malkav11 says:

Amazon’s videogame deal of the day today (at least in the US) is Darkspore for $30. That’s….fast.

• mwoody says:

Sims Medieval is $30, too. It probably indicates looming DLC more than anything.

33. A-Scale says:

Question: Where do you find out that MOW is on sale on Steam? I just searched their entire splash page, all of the Featured sections and whatnot, and don’t see it anywhere.

• Mana_Garmr says:

There’s a (fairly hard to notice) “Next” button under the bottom right part of the Dead Space image. It’s usually easier to spot when that column hasn’t been designed to blend in to the background ad so much.

34. Toby Wintrmute says:

Re The Witcher 2:

DAMNIT, WHY? Stupid oceans getting in the way of all those electrons or whatever..

35. Kaldor says:

Now that I’ve bought The Witcher 2 I’ll probably win it for free in a competition in which I participated (that’s the only way I could have any chances). Great. And I can’t remember when I was last interested in as many full-price titles as this year (Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Deus Ex 3, Skyrim, perhaps some others). Although I’m not that interested in gaming any more.