Call Of Duty: Project Collossus In November?

By John Walker on May 9th, 2011 at 3:59 pm.

From Thorpe Park! Remember!

Eurogamer are throwing caution to the wind, babies out with bathwater, and quite possible, down, by announcing that they keep hearing rumours of Call Of Duty’s next release due on 8th November 2011. While Activision has yet to announce this year’s inevitable blockbuster best-seller Christmas smash hit, everyone’s expecting one, and expecting it to come from the rubbled remains of Infinity Ward. And according to a top secret internal Tesco database (has Tesco bought MI6?) it is currently named Call Of Duty: Project Collossus. Which would be a spectacularly terrible name (not least because it’s spelt “colossus”), but is probably just the codename for the game while it’s in development. I imagine they’ll call it something crazy like, hmmm, Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3? We don’t know. And knowing you grumpy bastards, you don’t care. But whether you like it or not, you stroppy thing, it’ll be the biggest game of the holiday season. We’re bound to find out more details at E3 at the beginning of next month.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Vinraith says:

Your article talks about some irrelevant manshoot, but your image promises a roller coaster game. I demand the roller coaster game. Roller coaster tycoon 4 would be acceptable. Get on that, RPS.

• Quintin Smith says:

RollerCoaster Tycoon was so good. I think I remember building some £20 million prestige inner tube ride that gave a human being the most pleasure it was possible to have.

Kieron’s mum also gives good inner tube rides, I hear.

• Burning Man says:

Oooh, ouch.

• Gnoupi says:

Actually, I find the picture to be matching with the game series.
      Intense, lot of shouting, and all on the rails.

But seriously, I would love a “HD” version of the good old rollercoaster games. Not especially in 3D, I would rather prefer some high quality 2D. Scalable.

• Stranglove says:

RollerCODster tycoon? where you create a park specifically themed for big burly men and their big burly guns?

• Stupoider says:

Glad I’m not the only one who thought it was something Rollercoaster Tycoon related- my inner child demands it!

• bildo says:

I work at Disney and with their all their theme parks you would think they would have released a theme park management and building sim. They have the games division too. I’d love to have the chance to convince them an in depth and optionaly mainstream theme park sim is necessary with the Disney name for Disney interactive

• Kaira- says:

There might be hope for RCT4, though this particular instance of it is about a year old. Maybe, just maybe, we’ll get one.

• HermitUK says:

Roller Coaster 1 looks too intense for me.

• Jake says:

I also experienced a brief, happy moment where I thought this was news of a new Rollercoaster Tycoon. I still play 3 – it’s the only game that reduces my top of the range PC to a crawl due to the amount of scenery I have placed. God I love placing scenery.

• Mark says:

I can see that meeting right now, Bildo:

“It’s Farmville meets Rollercoaster tycoon!”

Actually, that sounds pretty cool and would probably work. Disney seem to be acting pretty risk adverse towards new ideas these days, but still, if they can get something going on a small budget… maybe they could put that Playdom acquisition to use?

• BAReFOOt says:

Let me be the first to coin the acronym for this: COD PC!
      BATTER than ever: Now with more CHIPS!

If that wasn’t the promised mental roller-coaster, then I don’t know what is. XD

• Shadram says:

I’m off to Florida in less than 2 weeks, to go to Islands of Adventure, Busch Gardens and… that other place… the one with the mouse… I forget its name. Anyway, point is, in my excitement, I reinstalled RCT3 and its addons over the weekend and spent a joyous few hours constructing a mega-park in the sandbox. It’s amazing how long you can spend tweaking a hill so that your coaster glides smoothly along the landscape, and constructing elaborate dark rides inside huge haunted castles. Sure, you can also just plonk down standard coaster designs on flat bits of grass, but that’s not how I roll.

So yes, RCT4 please! And not as a Facebook game, or I’ll cry.

PS. Oh, and Colossus at Thorpe still holds the world record for most number of inversions on a coaster, although it now shares the honour with another coaster in Brazil (I think, somewhere in South America anyway). Just a not-especially-interesting fact shared for free, there.

2. fiddlesticks says:

The roller coaster is simply a metaphor for Call of Duty being on rails. Well played, Activision and RPS.

3. westyfield says:

Call of Duty: More War For Sure.

4. Rii says:

Well according to the leaked product slate Blizzard’s next MMO is currently codenamed ‘Titan’, so ‘Colossus’ for Activision’s other heavy-hitting franchise fits right in.

5. Jason Moyer says:

Biggest game of the holiday season? So the next CoD is going to be CoD: Skyrim?

6. fallingmagpie says:

Oh my god – Call of Duty: Shadow of the Colossus!

Tired of gritty, pseudo-realistic manshoots, IW branch out into gritty, fantastical colossishoots!

• Jason Moyer says:

If they actually made a Call of Duty in some crazy semi-historical sort of setting I’d probably be interested in the series for first time in like 5 iterations.

• dysphemism says:

I can picture it now:
      10 minutes of dramatic, non-interactive, first-person clambering atop a massive golem, followed by a slow-motion, press-A-to-win-game killshot.

Hooray! You unlocked Red Tiger camo.

• luckylad says:

Imagine this…
      God of War violence
      Shadow of the Colossus size and depth
      Call of Duty’s children constantly screaming in your ear that your doing it completely wrong

• Rikard Peterson says:

Call of Duty: Ancient Warfare

7. Zaboomafoozarg says:

Indeed.
    Yet another tired Call of Duty manshoot?
    Not a manshoot for me,
    indeed.

8. Meat Circus says:

I’m confused: this is a gaming website. Why is the latest in a series of popular interactive screensavers being mentioned here?

9. sneetch says:

“Call Of Duty: Project Colossus”? More like “Call Of Duty: Project Lolossus!” Huh? /elbow Huh? /elbow

Anyone?

Ok. I’ll leave now.

10. DestinedCruz says:

Modern Warfare 3 is actually sort of confirmed. Raven Software are working on the multiplayer for the game, and it’s even listed on their wikipedia page.

11. lucasdigital says:

Bravo, Mr Walker for not repeating this rather bonkers speculation that Modern Warfare 3 is to be a prequel. There’s a reason that Modern Warfare 2′s ending felt like the end of a chapter – it’s because that’s clearly what it was, and I’ll eat one of my soviet-era Russian military hats should Modern Warfare 3 be anything other than a completion of the Modern Warfare story.
    Also, what is it with all this negativity about Modern warfare. I know, the publishers spent a stupid amount of money to hype their game as the second coming of first person shooters, but in this case the game was rock solid – if a tad short. Personally, I’m looking forward to further battles along side Pricey and Soapy..

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

All of the in-house writers have been purged, so anything goes for the story. However, after the load of old bottom that was MW2, I can’t say I care a jot.

• Baboonanza says:

The negativity is primarily because MW2 (though less so MW1) is just a really uninspired on-rails shooter that doesn’t even attempt to do anything new or interesting, all wrapped up in man-child war fantasies. It’s the equivalent of a summer blockbuster movie – ok as far as it goes, but a complete waste of several hundred million dollars.

Also we’re all snobs.

12. Colthor says:

“But whether you like it or not, you stroppy thing, it’ll be the biggest game of the holiday season.”
    Indeed. Tragic really, isn’t it.

13. slick_101 says:

well if Raven Software are making the MP then i might be slightly interested. they did also make wolfenstein (the 2009 one) which i enjoyed…………. But then time will tell. I’m most probably going to be hammering BRINK for months….. The same with skyrim

14. dysphemism says:

He’s right, we are a bunch of grumpy bastards!

Give us hell, Quimby!

15. Jimbo says:

The second week in November is well established as CoD week, so no real surprise there. However, Battlefield 3 is rumoured for the week before. If that’s true, and if EA are serious about competing with CoD this time (ie. marketing dollars) then that could put a significant dent in CoD sales.

Even if you have no interest in these games, I think it’s going to be very interesting seeing how this plays out at the end of the year. I think it’s great that somebody might finally be prepared to throw down against CoD, instead of the whole industry getting out of CoD’s way every year. Will Activision blink if BF3 is announced for the week before CoD week? Can they really afford not to?

16. mkultra says:

mmmm love me some quake 3 engine
    tastes so good

17. Narretz says:

Call of Duty: Project Colossus would be an awesome name. Still a shitty game, but an awesome name, hehe.

18. luckylad says:

I don’t know about you guys but this announcement gave me an itch to go on a “legal” downloading spree. Because all of my CoD games to date have been “legally” downloaded I figure what the hell, lets run the downloader again for old times sake.

19. phosgene says:

I sense just a twinge of sarcasm. Maybe I’m wrong. It’s pretty subtle. But I think it’s there.

20. Leelad says:

Call of Duty:Blank Cheque

Really do wish they’d fuck off. It’s actually not even funny anymore.

21. Teddy Leach says:

I REALLY hope it ships with the misspelled name. Then the entire world can see COD kids for the illiterate morons they really are.

22. kupocake says:

A Call of Duty game? Released in November? Get out of town!

Also: “But all my stuff is there!”

23. Jake says:

Just Codlossus would be a good name. Although that does sound like a SyFy original movie about an enormous fish.

Mega Shark vs Codlossus, I can see it now. I should probably copyright this.

24. Zarunil says:

Honored Man: Duty of Medals.

It actually could be fun if the game took place in a rollecoaster, and you had to shoot bad guys while spinning and hanging upside down.

25. Basilicus says:

Sweet! Maybe this means I can finally pick up Modern Warfare 2 for less than $40.

I refuse to pay more than $15 for a six-hour campaign that doesn’t take place in a World War or the distant, spaceship-ridden, laser-holed, supersexy future.

• Tatourmi says:

Why would the world wars be good settings?

• Basilicus says:

World War I because I can’t really think of an FPS set in those times. It’d be interesting to have a game depicting trench warfare: muddy dilapidation, mass-scale human wave charges, nerve gas, crappy behemoth tanks no one knows how to deal with…it would be a terrifying and different setting.

World War II (not that it hasn’t been done to death) because I’ve always been obsessed with it and well-read on the subject. I like to play something I’m that intricately studied up on. I still remember CoD 2′s Tiger hunt in a rainy French village. One of the best levels in FPS history, even if CoD’s name isn’t worth much these days. I’d love to see something a little different and a little more obscure to our American/British perspective – the desperate defense of Poland, guerilla fighting between Finland and Russia, the invasion of Greece.

26. lamzor says:

COD series looks like this:
    COD MW1 at the top and on its way to cod black ops.

27. Nallen says:

Please Battlefield 3. We believe in you.

28. foilman says:

I recognise that photo – it’s one I took!
    It is free to use, but is supposed to be attributed to me… (it was nice to see it being used, anyway).

Comment on this story