Change of Plans: We’re Going Here Instead

By Lewie Procter on May 10th, 2011 at 2:28 pm.

As a hasty follow up to ill hatched plans of last week, we’ve relocated the Manchester RPS Social Club meet to Kyoto Lounge. Kyoto Lounge has a couple of advantages over Font Bar, number one being that they pick up their phone so I was actually able to book it. Number two is that they are a Gaming Bar.

The plan is still to meet there at 3pm. It’s only up the road from the previously planned venue, so you don’t need to change your travel arrangements. Here it is on Google maps, but the streetview photo is out of date (it’s just to the left of The Deaf Institute).

We’ve got the computer room booked after another group finishing at 6pm, so we can spend ~3 hours doing the drinking part in the bar, and then after that do the drinking and playing games part. There’s also various console toys to play whilst waiting for the PC room, if you get bored of staring into your fellow humans faces before 6pm.

The folks over at Kyoto Lounge told me to ask you lot if you have any requests for food/drink too, they’ve said if there is anything in particular we are after, they’ll try to get some in. You can see their menu in low-res-vision here. Get requests in the comments by the end of the week.

Hat tip to Mike Rose for suggesting Kyoto Lounge. I hear he’s thinking of coming, so you best keep an eye on your beers.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. LilDeamon says:

We can all play some 4 player Microsoft Pacific Rift, should be fun

2. Masked Dave says:

Why have I never heard of this place before? Is it new? I drink at Sand Bar (across the street) quite a bit.

3. Hirmetrium says:

Why is there not a place like this in London.

I’m inclined to believe I am ignorant and am completely unaware if a place like this does in fact, already exist.

AND DON’T mention Gamersbase, or whatever that Trocadero HMV LAN thing is. That place is terrible. And lacks beer.

4. AndrewC says:

3 hours drinking and THEN playing games? Oh, this’ll go well. Pics plz, and AARs.

5. Tams80 says:

Kobe beef. I demand KOBE BEEF!

6. Mockturtled says:

Gah! This is sounding better all the time and I can’t go. Probably time to start organising the next one, Lewie.

7. Daiv says:

Manchester wasn’t this awesome when I lived there :(

8. Donjonson says:

You lucky Mancunian bastards. There’s nothing like this in Dublin :(

9. Heliocentric says:

I’ve been playing mirrors edge so I won’t need Google maps, just follow.the red.

10. nash93 says:

Bah! Would really like to come but in the middle of exams! :(

11. CMaster says:

Is the plan to stay there indefinitley, or to move on to a more convetional bar post-gaming?
    Is there going to be a cost?
    How extravagant can I make my alcohol/food requests?

• Lewie Procter says:

They are open til late, but depending on the mood we could always spill over the road to the pub, or next door to deaf institute, or any number of nearby places I suppose.

The only costs will be for food and drink.

The less extravagant, the more likely you are to get them I think.

12. Akirasfriend says:

Oh man, I’m glad it’s not at Font anymore really. While Font’s a nice bar, it can get a bit rammed. This place looks damn cool. Definetly expect to see me there.

13. Terragot says:

God dammit. George, Answer your phone and let me sleep on that sweet, sweet cold student, dorm-room floor on the 28th so I can destroy all the filthy RPS maggots at some Left 4 Bill & Ted too!

14. Njordsk says:

Hookers and black jack !

Oh in fact forget the back jack.

15. McDan says:

Sweet! So what shall we play?

16. Nallen says:

3 hour drinking session followed by an RPS SC2 Tourny. I insist.

17. Jimmy says:

What? There is a gaming bar next to Sand Bar? Grand so, will be along at least for the drinking bit.

18. SpinalJack says:

I might have to make a trip over there for this.
    Drag a couple other guys along as well seeing as we needed an excuse to meet up at some point.

19. Wyrm says:

I’ll come to this – any requirements, secret entry passwords or such?

20. Ravenger says:

Worth bringing my netbook for some multiplayer Doom or Duke Nukem 3D?

21. GenBanks says:

A GAMING BAR?
    Oh my god, that is so cool. I wish there was one in London, Manchester is too far for me!

22. HexagonalBolts says:

How have I never heard of this? Sweeeeeet. I’m excited.

23. Hendo says:

Would love to join people, though I feel a bit cheeky and that I should ask first – I’m new to RPS (probably created an account about 6 months or so ago) and haven’t posted much yet (bar a few comments).

• Kieron Gillen says:

Dude! If you read, you’re welcome. RPS is slutty in our love for our fellows.

KG

• Lewie Procter says:

Indeed, all are welcome.

• Hendo says:

Great! I’ll be there. Only just checked out that Street view and two things pop out to me:
      1) Across the street is a very curious place called “The Pub”. I wonder what they do there?
      2) There is a Dominos next door. A DOMINOS! *drool*

• SuperUnheardOf says:

They make you wish you’d walked a few meters up the road and gone to the Sand Bar instead.

• Scroll says:

This sounds pretty great, I want one of these places closer to London or Reading. I’d be up for these sort of things once University is out of the way for this term.

Also Manchester sounds like a scary place, same reason I’m not going to see QOTSA around the same time, if only I was braver, richer and had more time.

• Hendo says:

Ah Sand Bar – I’ve heard good things though haven’t been there myself. Usual night out round Oxford Street consists of getting appropriately drunk (all be it a little cramp) in Font on their 2 for 1, then head two doors down to Subspace when appropriately hammered.

Scroll: why does it sound scarey? – where we’re going is in the heart of uni land and it’s pretty relaxed. Now Moss Side is a few miles out… THAT is a little bit different (but you wouldn’t have to go near it)

24. westyfield says:

Presumably Cheetos, Rustlers and Mountain Dew are standard fare for gamers.
    Anyhow, I shan’t be there, on account of how a) it’s in the middle of exams, and b) Manchester is bloody ages away. Enjoy, you (un?)fortunate northern souls!

25. porps says:

hmm maybe i should attend too?.. i only live 15mins away.. Someone gonna be up for some quakelive while we’re there? league of legends maybe? cant beat free games can ya

26. Gerbick says:

Aces! I was already looking forward to this, but now MOAR. And now I’ve booked a hotel for me and the wife for the weekend, no need to rush off for trains. Bonus.

27. FionaSarah says:

Kyoto do some really nice cocktails, and they do indeed have SC2 installed on their PCs!

It’s a nice place, little bit small. Really unhappy that I wont be able to come to this though. :(

28. Hypnotoad says:

By god, I will be there! Looks pretty damn interesting, dark too so that’s a bonus for us lurkers.

29. TimA says:

This will be awesome, thanks for arranging it, Lewie. See you all there.

30. Scandalon says:

I request some decent fish’n'chips, and a 5-cheese pizza. And a private jet to get me there from the west coast of “The Colonys”.

31. anjin says:

Mike Rose eh? I wonder if its the same Mike “Boris” Rose of FML fame. Hello if it is from the Valderamma mod team :P

32. shagen454 says:

Can we get a San Francisco RPS social club?!?!? Pleassssseeeeeeeeeee!

33. Museli says:

Hmm. I spotted this bar on the bus to work the other day and thought it might be fun to check it out, and now this post appears. A sign? I think so. Given as virtually everyone I know will be at Glastonbudget on the 28th, and it’s been well over a year since I last went out on the piss, I have no reason not to attend, aside from the fact I never go out, ever. Screw that though, drunken PC waffle sounds fun, so I shall attend :D

34. Dezzick says:

Aww yeah. Fish and chips would be nice. I don’t really care. Count me in, however.

35. Pijama says:

“Gaming bar”

Man, you know when you are getting old when these things happen.

36. MythArcana says:

This is a really cool idea and kind of expands on the Internet cafe vibe a bit and hopefully avoids the Dave & Busters price tag in the process. I wonder how the bar minimizes Jolt Cola spills in their keyboards, though.

37. Scatterbrainpaul says:

So the last Internet cafe I went to, probably about 10 years ago in my local town. Went out back to the garden to have a smoke and there were two grown men having a soggy biscuit competition in full view.

I really wish this wasn’t a true story but sadly there are other witness’s to this as well

That is why I shan’t be attending, and have never set foot inside am Internet bar since

On that thought I leave you

38. ARJiBEAR says:

Hey Hey!

I am one of the owners of Kyoto Lounge. It’s nice to see our place is being discussed!

First let me get ONE thing straight of the bat….NOBODY will be playing “soggy biscuit” in our place….

Now that’s been cleared up. I just wanted to invite you all to join our FB group.

It’s simple enough – Just type in KYOTO LOUNGE in FB and it will come up.

We look forward to having you all down here and hope to make it a regular thing!

See you soon.

ARJiBEAR
    King of Fifa
    Portal Addict
    God

39. Daiv says:

This post is a victim of reply fail. Please pity it.

40. DOLBYdigital says:

Cries inside and wishes something like this existed and thrived in the US or that I could get some balls and move out of this country :( Dave and Busters is okay but is overpriced and only has a couple good arcade machines the last time I went there. I would love a more low key gaming bar like this although I would probably spend way too much money there.

41. Shockeh says:

Oh, see now you’ve made it Kyoto, I’m definitely turning up, time permitting. I’ll look forward to meeting a few RPS readers, and trying not to wince visibly at too many gamer memes.

42. Out Reach says:

Been on holiday for the last week but found this while reading up on everything :)

Wow this place does look way better :D Please Upgrade my definitely to something higher then that.

43. banski83 says:

People still going to this tomorrow, ja?

Comment on this story