Aha! Proper Info On Hitman Absolution

By Alec Meer on May 10th, 2011 at 6:38 pm.

Get out of my gunman of eden, serpent

Following a distinctly unrevaltory teaser trailer earlier today, the slow dribble from the promotional teat for IO’s just-announced fifth Hitman is now running a little faster – we now have a few early details on the game’s theme and the tech behind it. “Never before seen”, “familiar but significantly different…” Uh-oh. Change – the internet’s least favourite thing. Prepare the twin engines of excitement and rage, faithful pseudo-asssassins….

The facts are few but these:

Agent 47 is on “his most dangerous contract to date. “Betrayed by those he once trusted — and now hunted by the police — he suddenly finds himself at the center of a dark conspiracy and must embark on a personal journey through a corrupt and twisted world.”

This is to be powered by a new engine, made by developers IO Interactive themselves, named Glacier 2. Ice cool! This means the game “has been built from the ground-up”, and will feature “distinctive art direction and highly original game design.”

We have no specifics on the mooted changes, but game director Tore Blystad has this to say:

“For the first time we are taking Agent 47 on a personal journey which allows us to explore other parts of the Hitman fantasy. This is both a familiar and yet significantly different experience from other Hitman games; something our silent assassins will relish, as will all those new to the Hitman world.”

A PC version has been confirmed, along with the usual console fun-toys, and the game is promised for some time next year.

There’s a URL given too, but it still goes to the Eidos-branded Hitman Blood Money site for now. Sort it aaaaaaaaaaaht, Square Enix.

Here’s the trailer again, in case you’re too sleepy to read the other post:

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Hunam says:

I’m really looking forward to this new Hitman registered trademark game.

2. nayon says:

“Tore Blystad has this to say:

“[...] Hitman® [...] ” ”

How do you pronounce ® ?

3. Samonite says:

You might want to check that url again :P

4. KauhuK says:

Inhouse engine optimized for consoles and a crappy pc-port? Why, thank you very much. Though I really cant say if this is the case.

• Teddy Leach says:

Then why mention it? We’ve only just found out it’s bloody name and people are already jumping to conclusions.

• BobsLawnService says:

May I remind you that Blood Money was a console port and yet it was an amazing PC game as well? Or that it did not feel dumbed down in any way shape or form?

Kindly cease and desist with your wailing and teeth gnashing.

• KauhuK says:

I’m sorry. It’s a mistake on my part for I have not played any of the Hitman games. It seems that the engine is second version of the one used in last Hitman titles so it might be good on pc too. Good day to you kind sirs.

• BobbleHat says:

Say what you like about Kane & Lynch 2 (it was absolutely dog turd), but lazily ported it was not.

5. Koozer says:

I have a horrible feeling this may go the way of Splinter Cell.

• noodlecake says:

conviction was awesome! I doubt Batman: Arkham Asylum would be what it was without that game

• Creeping Death says:

@noodlecake I don’t follow your train of thought there, considering Arkham Asylum was released BEFORE conviction.

• Heliosicle says:

I’m guessing he means the splinter cell series.

6. Carra says:

If it’s as good as blood money I’ll have a lot of fun playing it.

• Hunam says:

This. Blood Money was the first one to get it ‘right’.

• heretic says:

Disagree. Contracts was a lot of fun. In fact each instalment had great moments, even if codename 47 was rough, it still worked really well.

Blood Money was the culmination of experience from the previous titles and it showed, but each had their own merits imo.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

I played Blood Money for the first time recently, my god what a game.

• Chuck84 says:

Indeed, they all had their merits, but Blood Money was the 1st to get it right, without any major missteps.
      Silent Assassin and Contracts were still awesome for their time. Codename: 47 can go suck it, though.

7. Inigo says:

excitement

I do not recognize this word.

rage

Hello, old friend.

8. Sadraukar says:

Article picture caption is delightful. Just had to give you credit there.

9. Rii says:

Any particular reason for making this a separate article?

• Alec Meer says:

Yes: these details not having been given out when the trailer was.

• Rii says:

Just seems odd to split the conversation and knock an article about a different game off the front page when a simple edit/update would seem to have sufficed. But whatever, it’s your site.

• Jesse L says:

OMG is this really a topic you thought was worth discussing?

In other news: I have a feeling I ought to avoid comment threads about this game.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

***REDACTED***

Hitman is always amazing, Kane and Lynch is always crap.

• Eukatheude says:

I like K&L. I seem to be the only person in the world who likes them, actually.

• KenTWOu says:

I adore K&L2 for its visual and sound achievement.

10. RyuRanX says:

“Change”. I hate this word. It would be best if it was “Improve”.

11. DSR says:

“This is both a familiar and yet significantly different experience from other Hitman games; something our silent assassins will relish, as will all those new to the Hitman world.”

NO NO NO NO NO

• Inigo says:

Also they’ll be “making Hitman more accessible to a casual audience” and “building the game with Facebook integration in mind”.

At least that’s what they said in my hideous fever-nightmares. The ones that don’t involve me being cut in half by giant insects.

• Om says:

Oh God, its a dialogue wheel, isn’t it?

• yourgrandma says:

I can see it now. Rechargeable health, cover system and blind firing dual ballers into linear corridors.

• Chuck84 says:

I wouldn’t worry too much. The bluster about being for folks new to hitman will be just that:bluster. Blood Money was a critical darling, and definitely played to existing fans. After the clusterfuck of K&L(btw i enjoyed it for the whole 4 hours it took to clear), they want something that will definitely deliver, and a Hitman 5 that follows in the same vein as Blood Money is a very safe, and fortunately very awesome choice.
      Now this is all supposition on my part, but if you were a studio with a recent major flop, and one beloved and critically acclaimed franchise, wouldn’t you try build on the last one, which was recognised as seminal?

Edit: worse case is that they make blasting through easier and more viable. That matters not, as hitman fans will always be going for silent assassin, and the ease/difficulty of the mass murderer path will be irrelevant.

• Heliosicle says:

And don’t forget that Blood Money was equally easy to blast through if you didn’t care about ratings, the brilliant thing about Hitman is all the options you’re given.

12. HexagonalBolts says:

Please be good, please be good, please be good…

13. Birdman Tribe Leader says:

Well, so now the information we have that is not empty PR babble is all the way up to zero. Every quote there could easily be applied to every game in the series so far.

Not that I have a problem with that. I have faith in IO to keep cranking out the same (outstanding) game every couple years with some new missions and a new plot that doesn’t matter and no one cares about.

14. MiniTrue says:

Let’s hope this will have larger levels than Blood Money did. (Plus all of the rest of the cool stuff that BM had, of course)

From the trailer, it would seem that they are going back to the more film-noire feel of Contracts. I approve.

• heretic says:

How large do you want your levels?!

I thought New Orleans was a pretty big map, granted Suburbia was very small (but very fun! Come on… assassination in a clown suit, BEST!).

Although I agree I really enjoyed Contract’s feel, I think it would be awesome to have a similar mission like that last swat mission from Contracts, which btw I thought was great how you had to escape the whole police force on your back as well as assassinating the police chief dude (not by running and gunning! That’s sure way to death in Hitman…).

Actually that Slaughterhouse level with the kinky coke heads was a masterpiece… more of that please. Lets not forget hiding the gun in the chicken xD

• Spakkenkhrist says:

Suburbia also had the best music.

• MiniTrue says:

Maybe it’s because I came to Blood Money straight after Deus Ex, but the levels, whilst non-linear, felt like they were a collection of linear corridors which gave you a choice which corridor to pick, rather than feeling like a real space. Level design in all four Hitman games to date has been excellent from a gameplay perspective, but horrifically implausible from a realism perspective. Given that the consoletoys have rather more power on tap now than the newly-minted, untried and untested 360 of 2006 did, I feel sure we can expect better level design.

• Balm says:

They all were terribly small and lazy on detail compared to Budapest hotel in the very first one.

15. Outright Villainy says:

Change? THIS WORRIES ME.

But hey, if I get to drop a piano on a guy in a chicken suit again, I’ll be okay.

16. Teddy Leach says:

Hey guys, Blood Money had changed a lot from Contracts. Calm down.

17. Alez says:

From what i’ve read here, it gives me the scary impression that these people think anyone cares about a story in Hitman.
    Hitman is all about random cool missions and guards with poor facial recognition. I don’t want betrayal and other non sense.

It’s kinda like how Splinter Cell was kick ass at first but then with the last one they had to “make it personal” and just had one mission…REVENGE.

18. Torgen says:

Rattlesnakes are not green. Unless you spray paint them.

19. Paul says:

Well finally. I remember thinking in 06 after finishing 10/10 Blood Money:

“fuck, that was amazing. So that was 2000 codename 47, 2002 SA, 2004 Contracts, 2006 BM…so see you in 2008, 47?”

What a naive idiot I was.

20. Kotti says:

Did Blystad confirm that it’s coming in 2012 or where did that info come from?

21. sinister agent says:

Agent 47 is on “his most dangerous contract to date.”

Pfft. Bin Laden’s already dead, mate. Unless….

But seriously… is that it? A gun and a snake and a barcode? This is rubbish. Unless this ‘personal journey’ involves working the checkout on weekends and hurling snakes at people during the week, I see no reason to bother.

22. naic244 says:

I took a screenshot of the barcode and inverted the colour so it was scannable with Redlaser. It comes back as “Drawstring Double Dong Dildo Bag in Starry Night Blue length x 5 width -”. I kid you not.

http://i.imgur.com/Oob6F.png The barcode, try it yourself.

(recommented from other post)

• karhax says:

I can confirm that this man is telling the truth.

• eldwl says:

Thank you, I’ve not guffawed that hard in ages. I need a new keyboard, just spluttered coffee over this one.

• Jason Moyer says:

I have a hard time believing that, if that’s a real barcode, it’s anything but the sku they’ve registered for the retail release of (one of the formats) of the game.

23. Radiant says:

PLEASE BE GOOD.

24. doyo says:

Great, now Square Enix can ruin another great franchise.

25. Serenegoose says:

Well, this page certainly fulfilled its cynicism quota rather quickly. Are we angry about something today, internet? Did I miss the memo that was sure to set me frothing over with rage like a wrathaccino?

26. Owain_Glyndwr says:

Maybe in this one we’ll finally be able to see what on earth he spends his earnings on. And maybe he will come to the shock realisation that killing people is a bad thing.

27. Sunjammer says:

I think maybe “Glacier” isn’t the best name for a game engine. Just sayin’.

28. DOLBYdigital says:

I’ll keep my expectations low but secretly hope they get blown away…
    Oh and “…Prepare the twin engines of excitement and rage…” had me laughing far more than usual, reminds me why I love this site (besides the great comments).

29. Corrupt_Tiki says:

“Betrayed by those he once trusted — and now hunted by the police”

You know, I think I have a theory, and it is this, when you are in the trade of Contract Killing, you can sort of expect to be backstabbed, and hunted by the cops, and generally in a dangerous place, all the time.

But ooooo god I hope this is a good game! I can’t get enough of Blood Money!

30. heretic says:

Sound and music in the Hitman games were always awesome, I hope they bring Jesper Kyd back on this as well, his music has always been top notch quality.

31. hamster says:

Why do these PR/marketing guys always churn out verbal garbage? I would rather they just released some enigmatic trailer and kept COMPLETELY quiet and let people speculate.