Max Head Room: Max Payne 3 Screens

By Quintin Smith on May 11th, 2011 at 10:11 am.

Jesus, Max! You don't even know what's down there! It could be a janitor or something.

Rockstar have released a spread of new screens of Max Payne 3, showcasing the game’s flashback-heavy plot (but not its less corridor-focused structure, sadly). We’ve got Max in his current role, as a baldy bodyguard in Brazil, but we’ve also got him as a less baldy cop in Brazil and even as a less baldy cop in America, looking flash in his trademark leather jacket and disgusting tie (if the flash in question is a flashbang, going off inches from your face). Come take a look.

Click for bigger!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Longrat says:

Well… What can I say, I hope that this game holds up to the last two. As long as they don’t go “call of juarez” on this, I’m sure it’ll be fine.

2. Kaira- says:

Well, these pictures have restored some of the faith for MP3. Though not really that much, as I’ve never really liked Rockstar’s games, but maybe this is good. Maybe.

3. DanPryce says:

The third picture down features the most redundant silencer in the history of games.

4. Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

Is it the same guy doing the voice-overs?

5. aldo_14 says:

It is just me, or is this the first game to accurately model gradual recession of a hairline?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/11/may/max4.jpg to
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/11/may/max1.jpg to

That’s pretty impressive attention to detail if so.

• Alex Bakke says:

IIRC the game takes place over many years, focusing on key events in Max’s life. It starts out a few years after #2, and finishes like, 15-20 years later. I think.

• TheApologist says:

Finally a character I can relate to. Well, not the whole crushing sense of loss channelled into a vengeful crusade. But, y’know, the hair thing.

• Lack_26 says:

You could always start a vengeful crusade due to your crushing sense of loss for your hair.

• TheApologist says:

I could, I guess. But I forgave my follicles’ failings some time ago. They’re a cute bunch of guys once you get to know them.

Besides, carrying out a vengeful crusade on your own head seems like a bad time.

• Lack_26 says:

You could try and claim that Shampoo manufacturers are responsible. I agree that a crusade against your head might be a bald plan.

• Stony says:

Those follicles have toupée for what they’ve done.

• KillahMate says:

I’m logging in two months later just to congratulate Stony on that pun. Well done, sir.

6. Olero says:

Some fun screenshots indeed:

1) Callcentre job doesn’t combine well with big shooty gun; “One moment please”, RATTATTATAATATTAAAA!! “Thanks for waiting, how can I be of assis… oh damn, “RATATATATAA!”

2) Fun times with two different recoils at the same time (or *pooffff* RARRRRRRRRRRRRRR *pewhhh* RAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

3) Dark gun to match my dark arm, light gun to match my light arm

4) Winning! (or; “Yes, I prefer being blinded while could easily avoid it”)

6) “Can you hold the line a little bit longer please?”

10) Aimbot uncovered

Yeah, sorry for this ;)

7. BooleanBob says:

Hair today, gone tomorrow. Well, the other way around actually..

8. Chaz says:

Looks like he’s been taking style tips from Sam Fisher.

• Bilbo says:

*Obligatory post about Sam Fisher not being hard enough to polish Max’s gun here*

*Obligatory post giggling at the double entendre below*

• WJonathan says:

How did you know there was a double entendre coming? (“Coming” hehe.)

• Bilbo says:

Touché. Unless you’re actually asking, in which case I meant “comment below” about *my* double entendre, not the double entendre that I assumed was coming. But either way, this has been fun

9. PickyBugger says:

The best thing about Max Payne 1 and 2 was the setting and the atmosphere created by it. I can’t really see that being replicated in the Brazil setting.

It all just looks like Resident Evil after it moved from dank streets and sewers to sunny Africa. A move that destroyed any interest in the series for me.

• Buemba says:

Sao Paulo is actually a pretty fantastic setting for a noir-tinged story, or at least it will be if most of the game is set in one of its central districts (Most of which are very dark, dank, dirty and filled with old buildings) instead of a slum in the periphery of the metropolis.

Hopefully Rockstar is just using the sunny slums during the preview cycle to differentiate it from the NY flashback sequences.

• Inarborat says:

Yes. Sao Paulo is a much scarier place than NYC. I’m happy they’re placing at least a portion of the game in a different location. I’ll be a happy man if I never, ever have to walk around a digitized version of NYC again.

10. The Pink Ninja says:

Max Payne two is one of my favourite games of all time. The slow-mo, guns akimbo fighting was great fun, and it was the first game I ever played to really use physics. But most memorable was the great writing and voice acting, a gripping story well told throughout trhe game. Yes it was a bit cheesy but I liked that, it was deliberately noir and lets face it: Its stood up to the test of time very well indeed.

So the fact they don’t have the same writer as last time and the fact MP2 didn;t really need a sequel near certainly means this is going to suck the big one. I hope it’s good. If RPS likes it I may even buy it.

But honestly, given MP2 killed everyone bar Max I not sure there’s a reason for me to get involved with this game.

11. TheApologist says:

It’s the sinewy arms that impressed me. Accurate sinew modelling is the future of shooters!

12. Olivaw says:

Excitement! I will play the FUCK out of this game.

• DrazharLn says:

I didn’t even know there was any FUCK in this game to play out, or, indeed that FUCK was a thing that one could extract through play.

13. Naseer says:

Sorry about trolling, but weren’t these screens released in the middle of april? I swear I’ve seen them all before.

14. Eclipse says:

is that… a cover system? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I want Max Payne damn it, not Kane & Lynch…

• Dominic White says:

Given that the entire point of the Max Payne series is replicating hollywood/john woo-style gunfights, having no way to utilize cover was a huge point against it.

• Teddy Leach says:

I will never understand what you people have against cover systems.

• Chizu says:

As long as I can transition from cover into slow-mo dives, I will be satisfied.
      Playing the first 2 games for me was just pretty much a long sequence of dives.
      Why run anywhere when you can diiiiiiive.

• poop says:

did either max payne games need a cover system? the great thing about the max payne games is that jumping sideways in slow motion gives you all the protection you need, not fucking playing whack-a-mole

I hope rockstar get this one

• Dominic White says:

Diving in slow-mo worked because you had a small invulnerability window, because you had no other defence against bullets. You couldn’t dodge them in realtime, and couldn’t really dodge in slow-mo too. The dynamic difficulty system (every enemy you kill raises difficulty, every time you die or quickload, it lowers) meant that if you survived a whole level without dying, enemies basically became instant death turrets on legs.

They were great games for their time, but if you look under the hood, they were kinda bodged together, design-wise.

• poop says:

cool job on figuring it out, now tell me how the game could possibly be improved with hte addition of a cover system

15. Eggy says:

Not a graphics whore but good grieve some of these screen shots look like they’ve been taken from Max Payne 2. Texture quality is underwhelming to put it mildly.

16. Sinkoristo says:

Oh great.. Cover system & a sunny Brazil..

So.. Did Rockstar even play the first 2 games?

17. Bodminzer says:

These look a lot more like a Max Payne game to me than anything I’ve seen so far, especially the 5th one. Wanna smash that marble.

18. Chaz says:

Looks like it’ might have lost some of that cheap detective novel feel that characterised the first two games, though it’s hard to tell from just a bunch of screen shots, so I hope not.

19. vash47 says:

Is that Charlie Sheen in the 4th picture?

20. yrro says:

Upside down gun? Is firing your gun at a 90-degree rotation no longer cool/edgy enough?

21. HexagonalBolts says:

I actually think that would be really interesting if you had the option to carry two guns (presuming you can fire them separately) one with a silencer and one without to allow for a few silent kills and then to do some good ol’ fashion spraying if things go wrong or get messy.

22. MythArcana says:

I think it’s safe to say that Mark Wahlberg probably won’t be playing this version, either.

23. chickdigger802 says:

Would love a gameplay trailer…

Still I’d trade this for LA Noire on pc T_T