Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning Looks Good

By Quintin Smith on May 13th, 2011 at 9:42 am.

Has that monster grown a reading light?

I’m still a touch nervous about Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning after the developers announced it’s the precursor to an MMO set in the same universe, but EA’s just released the game’s PAX demo online and the game does look like fun. The action seems weighty and robust, and the attack effects are explosively pretty without getting in the way of things (click here to see some explosive prettiness getting in the way of things). The world looks oddly empty, too, but never mind that. See for yourself after the jump.

Not sure what they’re on about when they says that most RPGs would turn a battle with a large creature into a highly scripted fight, either. Hmm. HMMM.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. skyturnedred says:

Needs smaller UI.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Also prettier. With some cool gothic designs around the health/mana bars or something.

• Daniel Is I says:

Well, I think they’ve stated that they’re going to redo the UI for the PC version, as the only version they seem to be showcasing right now is the Xbox 360 one.

2. Atic Atac says:

After Dragon Age II I have all but given up on bigger studio fantasy RPG’s. This is just totally generic. From an RPG I have no interest in loot or action-rpg combat systems….what I look for in an RPG is immersion, exploration and character, best examples being Morrowind and Mass Effect 2. Let’s hope Skyrim delivers!

Yes Kingdoms of Amalur….Special mooves, chained attacks and loot @ the Well of Souls (could it be more generic?) just aren’t interesting RPG elements.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Watch the PAX demo! They actually mention a lot of the gay stuff you’re on about like “immersion” and “story” and “exploration”. The story was written by R. A. Salvatore and one of the designers (I believe the main one?) worked on Morrowind and Oblivion.
      Here: http://reckoning.com/pax-east-demo

• Atic Atac says:

R.A Salvatore being linked doesn’t give me hope for a good story at all, since he is in no way a quality author. He’s in the lowest tier of fantasy writing, like William Shatners TekWar books are to Sci-Fi

…but a Morrowind designer is a good thing!

• Memphis-Ahn says:

I’m not a fan of R. A. myself, but my mother is since she likes fantasy stuff. I just figure any tripe he can come up with is better than the generic fantasy “orks n elves” stuff that video game designers come up with.

• pyrofennec says:

Well, Memphis, therein lies the problem: Salvatore writes nothing but generic elves-and-orcs crap. Even when he’s not writing D&D spin-off fiction he’s still writing generic crap.

3. BooleanBob says:

It’s an anglefish/serpent/salamander. Your common or garden fantasy mash-up monster. Bet he’s weak to fire and everything.

That said, he must have an easy time of it nipping to the loo in the middle of the night.

• Kaltano says:

I’ll see your anglefish/serpent/salamander and raise you an interior/crocodile/alligator.

• porschecm2 says:

Shouldn’t a salamander beast-thingy be impervious to fire?

4. Dyst says:

“It’s a peaceful place for your character to start their adventure.”

Kill… everything.

5. Grey_Ghost says:

What is the deal with that warriors disappearing reappearing shield?

• DrazharLn says:

I thought that was kind of weird, but it looked fun to play – “Bam! Magical disappearing shield, right in yo’ face!”

The mage looked fun to play too, which is encouraging.

6. CaLe says:

The combat does look quite good.. but the rest of it, not so much.

7. Teddy Leach says:

Looks like a fairly nice RPG with combat that actually seems to work and look nice. What is the world coming to?

8. Telke says:

I’m wondering if this is really aiming at the right place…. I mean, they go on about immersion, character etc….but TBH, all I see in this video is a lighter action-rpg.

And y’know what? I’m absolutely fine with that. not every RPG has to be amazing grimdark brutal fantasy – or whatever you feel like describing DA/Witcher as – and not every RPG needs the conversation options, different paths, etc.

this looks like an RPG where i can hit things, collect loot, move on, level up. Interesting enough to keep attention on it, but not intellectual enough to make me strain to catch everything.

I’m just approaching this as a nicer Fable 1, without the molyneux “YOU CAN SEDUCE ANYONE, LOOK AT THE TREES GROW” hype. an RPG-lite. and looking at it that way, I’m keen.

also, BIG HAMMER WOOOOO

• skyturnedred says:

Exactly. Seems like solid fun, and the combat actually looks pretty decent. Not everything has to be 100% original and innovative, sometimes fun is just enough.

9. BunnyPuncher says:

\o/

I love the way they say “not a highly scripted fight” then add a fully scripted fate kill to end the fight ^^

That said, the combat looks nice.

PoulWrist says:

Modern MMOs have such crowded worlds anyway. It’s sort of ridiculous that you can’t leave the city and not stumble across mobs that aggro you the entire time, having to slink around to get anywhere without fighting 100 trashmobs on the way. I applaud any game that does not cower under the WoW formula of mobspam.

• bob_d says:

This isn’t an MMO, though. Originally their first game was to be an MMO, but they’ve pushed that back; they’re doing this single player RPG first.

11. Mitza says:

God of War much?

12. thepaleking says:

Looks very Fabley, which is nice since I like Fable. Depending on what the non-combat elements look like, I may have interest in this.

13. Kefren says:

Ridiculously oversized weapons that somehow ‘stick’ to your back.
    Consolised inventory based on menus (Oblivion et al) rather than drag and drop (Might and Magic, Morrowind).
    Light effects just from swinging a weapon.
    ‘Juggling’ enemies.
    =
    No thanks.

14. Binman88 says:

I think it looks great, and the team behind it seem genuinely passionate about what they’re doing.

Some of the sound effects sounded a little muddy and the art-style could be sharper (a little bit too soft in parts for my taste) but the game is a long way off yet, so who knows what the final product will look and sound like.

15. JohnnyMaverik says:

Looks a little Fabely which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Combat looks solid, graphics look quite nice, hope they haven’t cocked up the story.

16. Wizardry says:

Hmmm. What’s this? A generic fantasy action game? No thanks.

17. Berzee says:

What I like about this is that most of the things he was fighting looked (visually) like they might be able to kill him. You know — menacing.

18. Burning Man says:

Generic as hell, but seems to have nailed combat pretty nicely, which is definitely good. Considering that I care much more about how much damage I look like I’m doing, than I actually do end up doing, flashy animations and plenty of flashy animations are a huge plus.

19. Hensler says:

Looks fun to me, and I play games to have fun, so I’m in.

thesundaybest says:

Does he say your story “begans”?

I couldn’t stop laughing and missed the rest of it.

21. paterah says:

It doesn’t look good to me, especially for a game coming out in 2012. To be honest it looks like a worse fable.

22. tungstenHead says:

Unholy hideous nipples! They’re going all out!

23. Valvarexart says:

Oh, look, let’s make a point and click combat simulator. While we’re at it, why not throw some monsters and choices in there as well! Here, have a crafting system and some UI.

JiminyJickers says:

Doesn’t look amazing, looks pretty standard action rpg on the consoles. But still looks a bit fun and I would give it a go, when it is on special.

I had to laugh when they went about the innovative combat, where you use the one button, haha.

25. outoffeelinsobad says:

Shoulda called it “Allegory” or “Parable.”

winkwinknudgenudgesaynomoresaynomore