Fabulous Massles: ME3 Will Have Man Love

By Quintin Smith on May 16th, 2011 at 10:42 am.

Ah, that's good penetration.

Mass Effect 3 executive producer Casey Hudson has revealed in a tweet that ME3 will feature same-sex romances for both female and male Commander Shepards. Previous games in the series only offered girl-on-girl sex scenes for the stated reason that “if you’re picturing a PG-13 action movie, that’s how we’re trying to design it.” Which, if it’s true, is a comparatively innocent reason for the noninclusion of male homosexuality. Less innocent reasons might include the fear of tarnishing the game’s macho figurehead, but ANYWAY! Let’s all assume Shepherd was neck-deep in the closet for those first two games and move on. Thanks to Gay Gamer for the news.

So long as we’re talking ME3, PC Gamer have spent the last few days leaking a variety of details from a long interview of their own with Casey Hudson. I’ve assembled a bullet point list of the important info after the jump.

• Every party member from Mass Effect 1 and 2 will be appearing as a character in ME3, just not necessarily one who can join your crew.
  • Tali, Garrus, Liara, either Ashley or Kaiden and a new character called James Vega are confirmed as potential party members. Garrus in my Mass Effect 2 game got carried off by bees during the suicide mission, so I’m not sure how that works.
  • All the love interests in Mass Effect 3 will be party members from the first two games. No new squeezes. There will be at least some new squeezes!
  • Characters from ME1 will, apparently, know if you cheated on them in ME2. Casey also says “f you had a Mass Effect 1 romance and you didn’t have a Mass Effect 2 romance, so you stay true to the character from the first game, there’s a scene where you look at the picture of that character, and that’s essentially the romance scene in Mass Effect 2.”
  • On the subject of Mass Effect being a trilogy, Casey says “I would argue that this is the only trilogy in games. There have been games where there were three, but in terms of planning it out from the beginning, with a story that was meant to span three games, and actually finishing all three games – I don’t know if that’s ever been done before.” Which- well, I don’t think I can prove him wrong.
  • Combat will be “quite different”, with an emphasis on special abilities such as melee-focused characters.
  • There will be big robots piloted by small men. You can shoot the glass window out of the back of the big robot to kill the small man, thereby deactivating the big robot. Or, if you kill the big robot by itself, the small man will climb out to continue the fight.

So there you go. The third and final instalment of Mass Effect will be landing in early 2012, but my word, I’m skeptical about it being the last ME game we get. A big reason that there have been no isolated trilogies in gaming is that so long as there’s money to be made and a universe to be exploited, these licenses resurface. But I guess we’ll see.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. pipman3000 says:

now nerds can whine about something that doesn’t effect them unless they intentionally seek it out :D

i wonder what mr.straight male gamer from the bioware forums has to say about this

2. Sunjammer says:

Since when did Bioware decide to pick up the mantle after Leisure Suit Larry was done championing the big-budget sex comedy video game?

What bothers me so horribly about this stuff is that Bioware are so *bad* at it. This isn’t even up to Star Trek romance levels. It’s so horribly misguided, and I wish they would stop. Unless they keep the Tali thread going. Because that one actually has some potential. Sex diseases!

• Creeping Death says:

Turns out Tali is a dude. It’s one of the choices you can make at the start of the game to retcon your Shepard as always gay :P

• Lilliput King says:

It has got a little out of control now, yeah.

• psycho7005 says:

My Tali got shot in the face in the suicide mission after my Shep said he wanted to be with her, and then sending her to do the most dangerous mission lol! Maybe they can work in the storyline that he lied just to bed her? Lying, womanising Shepard. :P

3. zipdrive says:

Yes, I also lost my Garrus to the bees. Stupid, weak Miranda.

4. Mr_Day says:

Apparently, the no new love interests has been revised, as revealed in this tweet:

pointed out by @weefz

5. talon03 says:

I’m sorry… Who is this “Male Shepard” you speak of?

6. Deano2099 says:

Unless they literally end the universe in this game, I fully expect a new title set in this world (probably even a new trilogy). There’s just no reason it has to have the ‘Mass Effect’ name.

7. zipdrive says:

I don’t know if Casey meant there would be no more ME-universe games- just not games in this specific trilogy.
    BTW, a trilogy that pops to my mind is the Prince of Persia “sands-of-time-warrior-within-two-thrones” bit, which is, admittedly, part of a larger franchise….much like the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

8. sonofsanta says:

I think they’ve previously said this isn’t the last game in the ME universe, but it is the last game in Shepard’s trilogy.

Fully expecting the gay romance to be as laughably stupid as the lesbian romance was, and to offend more than it placates. At least it’ll be easy Fox-branded publicity though.

9. Icarus says:

Yeah. Shephard’s story was always planned as a trilogy, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more Mass Effect-universe games with a new protagonist.

• The Colonel says:

The painfully shit recycling job of ME2 had me utterly convinced they didn’t plan a three game story. What bugs me most about ME series (even more than the pitiful combat) is that it sells itself as a story-based talky type game, but has the most boring and predictable sci-fi storyline and IP possible. Me3 ain’t on my list that’s for sure. Hopefully CDProject RED will turn their sights towards an interesting sci-fi world for their next project. Steal one from the sci-fi masterworks series please.

• Lukasz says:

ME2 had great storylines.
      just not the main one.

stories of your companions were interesting and fun to play. the main plot was weak no doubt about it.

• Commisar says:

wow, both the Colonel and JKjoker sem to be extremely butthurt in regards to anything Bioware, also I highly doubt CD Project will do anything Sci Fi related in the near future

10. Teddy Leach says:

Yes, Bioware. You’re aware. We get it.

• The Colonel says:

If they put in a futuristic equivalent of right-wing bible belt conservative American Christians to denounce the One Gay Shepherd, surely that would placate all the stupid people who are going to be outraged by this decision?

• Peggle20 says:

I predict another case of organized 0/10 metacritic smearing solely due to the inclusion of gays.

• DrazharLn says:

Peggle20, is that a thing that’s happened before? What a sad world we live in.

What a shame.

• Ignorant Texan says:

I, for one, am looking forward to the shit-storm after they announce the Leather Man/Transvestite paid DLC reskins for ‘alternative lifestyle’ male Sheppard.

11. Stitched says:

Based on the possible success of SW:TOR MMO, it’s not unthinkable to consider a Mass Effect MMO on the far horizon.

• Kaltano says:

I hope so, I was tremendously disappointed when the sci-fi mmo was revealed to be SWTOR, the ME universe is much more interesting than SW’s in my opinion.

• Nalano says:

Likewise. I mean, they wouldn’t have to license a freakin’ IP, the universe is fresher, and they could make decisions with large ramifications that won’t immediately start a hatefest with 40 year old LucasArts fanboys.

12. Risingson says:

Yeah! At least I can get laid in a sci fi game!

13. deanbmmv says:

Woot, more retconing.
    I thought Bioware were pretty adamant that Commander Shepard was hetrosexual? I don’t really care that the option wasn’t there to begin with, but I do care that they’re backpeddling on their original choice.
    Especially if Garrus suddenly gets implanted with the personality of Zevran. He was unbearable. Didn’t matter the gay part, just as a character it was always about him being gay. So one dimensional.

• Dominic White says:

“Didn’t matter the gay part, just as a character it was always about him being gay. So one dimensional.”

Except that he acts exactly the same way towards female characters, too, and is just as eager (if not moreso) to bed them as well. Zevran just wants to hump anything on two legs.

• Robert says:

“I thought Bioware were pretty adamant that Commander Shepard was hetrosexual?”

The only thing set in stone was the fact that Shepard is his(or her) last name. The rest is up to personal preferences. Of course due to the nature of the game, there were limited choices concerning his background, and the limiting factors of the character creation, but in theory it is all up to ‘you’.

• woodsey says:

The option just wasn’t there.

Our Shepard’s can just remain straight, so there’s no issue whatsoever.

• Ergates_Antius says:

“Didn’t matter the gay part, just as a character it was always about him being gay”

Firstly, he was bisexual not gay.

Secondly, apart from a tiny bit of coy flirting* and being slightly camp in no way was it “always about him being gay”.

*Unless you encourage him by responding to the flirting

• Erd says:

I guess homosexual male Shephard is the savefile that didn’t pursue any relationships in the first two games?

Edit: I guess it’s not a retcon, just a shoehorning in as an afterthought.

• Peggle20 says:

It’s almost as if you don’t know what ‘retconning’ means.

• qeloqoo says:

Dominic White

Shale?

• FunkyBadger3 says:

“Zevran iiiiiiinnnnnnn SPAAAAAAAAAAACE!” would be just about the best thing evah, darling.

14. Flint says:

Finally my Shepard will find intergalactic love!

15. Mike says:

Was pleased to see that the tag ‘horribly confused homoeroticism’ was not a new tag to RPS. Good work.

16. Drakon says:

That alt-text on the title image…ugh.

17. 4026 says:

So… girl-on-girl sex fits into PG-13 action movies, but guy-on-guy doesn’t? I can only assume they’re just being wildly unimaginative about their girl-on-girl sex scenes.

Oh, yeah, and like hell the writers at Bioware were “Planning it out from the beginning, with a story that was meant to span three games”. Mass Effect was meant to be a trilogy about as much as the first trio of Star Wars movies. The first one stands on its own, with a nice ending with everything wrapped up and the baddies defeated, then the studio realises there’s money in this and cranks out a storyline to fill a trilogy.

• stahlwerk says:

It’s an unwritten law of the entertainment industry, that producers have to proclaim a priori trilogical intentions in all PR between the second and the third installment are released. See Matrix, Pirates of the Carribean,…

• AndrewC says:

All big projects – games, films, tv series, books and so on – are designed with an eye towards franchise.

• James G says:

Yeah on your first point. I’m not sure classing man-on-woman action (and indeed womaon-on-pseudo-woman) as PG-13, but man-on-man as somehow less suitable, is all that an “nnocent reason for the noninclusion of male homosexuality.” I’m getting a little annoyed by the whole ‘homosexuality is fine, as long as you keep it away from the children’ thing, at least when it comes to depictions that would be considered acceptable were they heterosexual.

As to whether its ‘always’ been a trilogy, we’ll its certainly something I’ve been aware of since I first paid attention to it, but that probably only coincides with when the PC version of ME1 was announced. An old preview of the Xbox version in GamesTM doesn’t mention it. I’ll agree that the ending of ME1 was tidy, but it did still have the clear sequel hook, I imagine it was originally pitched as a trilogy, with games 2 and 3 dependent on the success of the first.

• hexapodium says:

On the subject of PG-13-ness, I encourage everyone to watch This Film Is Not Yet Rated and see the astonishing double standards going on with regard to even hints of gay relationships. I don’t think they cover the difference between lesbian and homosexual male themes in as much detail, though, which is a shame.

• World One Two says:

Yeah, for “comparatively innocent” read “wildly offensive”. The implication that girl-on-girl love scenes are light titillation for the whole family, but chap-on-chap is something much darker, says some pretty awful things about where we’re at as an industry (just as it does for the movie industry, if the thinking has been carried across). If you’re judging the appropriateness of a love-scene based not on how graphic or disturbing it is, but simply on the sexuality of its protagonists, then you’re being homophobic. No?

• AndrewC says:

Well sexist, technically, but whatevs!

Argument: Male homosexual love stories have in fact been well served by hollywood, as evidenced by every action movie of the last 30 years.

• 9of9 says:

I’m fairly sure I remember them saying it would be a trilogy all the way back when ME1 was released. Of course, the extent to which it was planned out probably varies – but the general setup of ‘Shepard delays reaper invasion’, then ‘Shepard investigates reaper threat and prepares for imminent attack’ and finally ‘Shepard fights off actual reaper invasion’ was probably in their minds for a while.

• JackShandy says:

I’ve heard that bioware has always denied that the Asari are lesbians – they’re just space aliens who happen to look like blue women! So the comment about being PG-13 possibly isn’t so much about girl-on-girl VS guy-on-guy as much as the fact that now they actually have to call it gay sex instead of handwaving it as (apparently more child-friendly?) cross-species space sex. So yes – still horribly offensive, but at least they’re coming out of the closet.

• ulix says:

“The first one stands on its own, with a nice ending with everything wrapped up and the baddies defeated, then the studio realises there’s money in this and cranks out a storyline to fill a trilogy.
      I mean, not that it’s a bad thing, per se, just that it clearly wasn’t designed as a trilogy from the off.”

Except that, you know, the guys at Bioware said it was planned as a trilogy prior to Mass Effect’s release on Xbox360.

Mass Effect Release on 360: November 20th 2007

Earliest news I found confirming it as a trilogy (5 minute Google search): October 2006 (more than one year before release!!!)

So no, Mister.
      You are wrong.

They did not “realise there’s money in this” and only then planned it as a trilogy, unless you count “its a Bioware game so there must be money in this”.

Source: http://meforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=503547&forum=104

• Rii says:

@World One Two

“The implication that girl-on-girl love scenes are light titillation for the whole family, but chap-on-chap is something much darker, says some pretty awful things about where we’re at as an industry”

More than the industry, it says some pretty depressing things about where we’re at as a society. The industry is merely mirroring the prejudices of the audience. Female homosexuality has long been far less transgressive than male homosexuality. And I think we all know the reasons why.

• World One Two says:

@ Rii

Yep, that’s what I was trying to get at. I guess essentially what depresses me is that lesbian relationships aren’t as taboo because men find the idea of them arousing. Which says A) the power behind the film and games industries is overwhelming in the hands of heterosexual males; and B) these men don’t even give a shit about lesbians because they care about equality, but because they like thinking about two chicks doing it (or know their audience will like thinking about it, which’ll help sell products).

We should care about making people of all sexual orientations feel included in our pasttime simply because that’s a nice thing to do. You know?

18. Angryinternetman says:

If I cant cant fornicate with Volusians or Hanarians, just this homosexual addition is discriminating and unjustifiable.

19. Crabtacular says:

“Characters from ME1 will, apparently, know if you cheated on them in ME2″

Shit! Tali, get in the cupboard, Liara’s coming! I knew this was a bad idea… I wonder if there will be a sexy, alien cat-fight!

• Christian O. says:

Considering you’d been dead for two years and all the character had pretty much moved on, I’m not sure it really constitutes “cheating”. I make no apologizes, Liara.

20. WJonathan says:

So are the men in the robots normal sized, and only “small” relative to the “big” robots? Or are they truly small men driving the robots, like jockeys on thoroughbreads? This is a must-know fact for me, as it would alter my robot-fighting strategy.

21. Robert says:

So we have Man Shoot and Man Love. I find this awfully awkward RPS. This is not a game about Man, you also Shoot Krogan and Love Asari. Therefore I propose we shall it “Shoot” and “Love” in this case. I mean, does it even really matter who we shoot as long as we get loot? And, does it even really matter who we love as long as…. erm.. you know..

22. Matt says:

Needs more hot elcor sexing.

23. Sinkoristo says:

What happened to you Bioware? You used to be so cool.

No more gay simulators please. Make a proper RPG.

24. MikoSquiz says:

There better be krogan rimjobs, that’s all I’m saying.

25. Lars Westergren says:

One of the biggest turn offs for me with the Mass Effect series is the constant T&A cam shots of Asarians. No, I don’t want to stare at the Matriarch’s ass and breasts before finally panning up to her face, thank you. The log claims she is a highly respected philosopher and politician, but the visuals keep treating her like a piece of meat.

They have explained that each race views the Asarians as a member of their own species, that is why all find them attractive. And since you are a human player (presumably) that is why they look human. But this raises the questions, what do the asarians *really* look like? And what kind of eerie mind powers do they have, and how have that evolved? What if in reality they are some sort of quivering drooling insectoid sex parasite? Could you still love Liara, knowing that? Her personality is still the same, and her love for you presumably still real (well, within the game world at least). Bioware, the masters of Mass Appeal would of course never do that. But wouldn’t it be totally epic if they had the balls to make the Asarians look *really* alien?

• Teddy Leach says:

Did you ever see that episode of Red Dwarf where Kryten falls in love with a Pleasure Gelf? Because it would be pretty funny if they did something similar.

• Lars Westergren says:

@Teddy, Mr_Day
      Ah, darn it. Whenever I think I have an original idea, someone has beaten me to it…

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

@ Lars: Heh, I had the same thought on my last playthrough. Imagining the weirdy chunk of the fanbase going through this is a pleasing mental image. But as you say, it’s doubtful that Bioware would follow through.

• ulix says:

The Asari don’t have any “Mind powers” whatsoever. They really look how they look.

The reason why every (or most) races find them attractive is because they have similar facial- and head-features to many other races.

Their faces look human.

Their “head-tentacles” look similar to the Turian head-thingies.

You could also see some resemblance to the Salarian’s upper head “antennae”. They also have similar skin tones and facial skin-patterns.

Or to quote the Mass Effect Wiki:
      “In Mass Effect 2, a conversation occurs between a human, a salarian, and a turian who are watching an asari dancer. The men debate whose species the asari most resembles. Upon each forwarding their own race, the human theorizes that the asari might be using mind control to appear attractive to other species. It is more likely that the three men were merely focusing on characteristics their species shares with the asari (e.g., body shape for humans, skin color for salarians, head fringe for turians).”

• Lars Westergren says:

Huh. That’s a pretty weak rationalization from Bioware as to “why our universe is filled with space strippers”. I guess “tits and ass is popular with our target demographics and means more profit” as dialogue would break the fourth wall though.

• Matt says:

Those aren’t tits, they’re her philosophy globes.

26. McDan says:

Even through all the planned changes etc. I’m still greatly looking forward to this. And it would be a shame if they didn’t bring out anymore stuff set in this universe. Could be pretty good.

Also alt-text is brilliant, like always from Quinns.

27. Kdansky says:

>… but in terms of planning it out from the beginning, with a story that was meant to span three games…

Interestingly, the first and second Mass Effect are very disconnected, the second one rewrites more than just some minor facts of the first one, and generally they have a very different theme. Am I really the only one bothered by the fact that the antagonist was replaced (Collectors are just a weak copy of Sovereign), and TIM went from invisible & evil to obviously just insane & stupid?

What a bold-faced lie.

Cue ME fans to the rescue, pointing out all the dozens of books and fanfiction I need to read that stitches everything together, Frankenstein-style. Mass Effect is like The Matrix. The first one is really good, the other two are either mediocre or just shit, and the writers insist that they have always wanted to do it as a trilogy.

• The Hammer says:

Yeah. Huge fan of the “trilogy” that I am, the naff continuation between 1 and 2 is in no way comparable in coherency to something like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. I suppose ME2 was really trying to lure in new players though, so there had to be some leeway.

(also, the trilogy point is given credence by the fact that you did control the same unique character, with the same decisions and relationships transferring across. In that sense, yeah, Mass Effect is the only trilogy in gaming.)

• ulix says:

“Am I really the only one bothered by the fact that the antagonist was replaced (Collectors are just a weak copy of Sovereign)?”

Except that the Collector’s are working for the Reapers (they are effectively controlled by Harbinger, the Reaper’s “Overseer of preparations to destroy the galaxy again”).

So the “real enemy” is still the same. Its the Reapers as a whole.

28. HexagonalBolts says:

haha, I love that a ‘gay gamer’ website exists.

• Creeping Death says:

I think it’s kind of backwards that they feel the need to differentiate themselves from the rest of the gaming community…

• Daniel Rivas says:

Speciality website. It’s where you go when you want to hear news/opinion from gayers in videogames. Might as well moan about the existence of a PC-only site. It’s all videogames, right?

• Defenestrated says:

try talking about anything even tangentially homoerotic on the big mainstream games websites.

That’s why sites like gay gamer exist.

• MikoSquiz says:

I doubt their readers only go there. It’s a specialist subcategory of gaming news, in addition to rather than instead of.

Also, I bet the forums are a great place to meet geeky guys.

• pipman3000 says:

@Creeping Death

yeah THEY’RE rhe ones keeping themselves apart from the mainstream gaming community (imagine i’m rolling my eyes dismissively here)

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

@Creeping Death: Acceptance, tolerance and love from fellow gamers does not mean assimilation.

29. Anguy says:

Yes! I really feel good about not cheating on Kaidan now, he’s the best anyway ;)

30. arghstupid says:

the church of man love is such a holy place to be / put your space face next to mine / etc

31. Sceptrum says:

You know, while I find the romance bit a nice enough addition to my RPGs I feel they get way too much focus at times and not to talk about the Bioware forums where there seems to be a large subculture dedicated solely to that. Yes, talking about some of the IMO creepy Tali fans, who have theorized how Quarian sweat can be an aphrodisiac or something like that.

Why not make a Leisure Suit Asari spinoff game after ME3? That’s what alot of people seem more interested in.

• Erd says:

Dear god. I’m flabberghasted. It’s starting to feel like Mass Effect is becoming a weird sort of furrie fandom derivative. Normally you want to block out a game because of spoilers but this… I want to block this out too. The Internet is vast and stupid.

32. Moni says:

What I’m really hoping for is a post victory, inter-species, inter-sexuality, ship-wide, mega orgy.

• papabear says:

i’d like to add “zero-gravity sex”.

with no lube.

• Moni says:

Garrus: “Yeah! We did it, we killed the Reapers!”
      Liara: “What now Commander?”
      Shepard: “Joker, deactivate the gravity.”

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

“I’m sorry Councillor Anderson, but Space Corps Directive 34124 clearly states: ‘No officer with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity’.”

33. jack4cc says:

Triology ? They make it sound like me2 had a story that was more complicated and interesting than “pick up 10 characters and do 10 character missions”

34. kutkh says:

Interested to see how they handle this “cheating on your ME1 love interest” angle, given how many variables there are. I’m not completely convinced that a pre-suicide-mission fumble with Miranda really qualifies as cheating on, say, Ashley, who by that point has dumped you anyway. On the other hand, if going back to Ashley after all that’s been said and done with Jack doesn’t involve getting someone thrown through a window then they’re doing it wrong.

There are situations where it should be a big deal and situations where it shouldn’t, really, and it’d be sort of shit of them to wall off relationships based solely on the fact that a love interest was had in ME2.

35. Paxmayne says:

I used to think Bioware would never make a bad game, but after the shambles that was DA2 and this over-focus on the romance options I’m really starting to worry about ME3.

I loved ME2 and I think I’m right it saying DA2 and ME3 have two different teams working on them, but still… finger crossed Bioware… please don’t disappoint…

36. DK says:

Love that they forget that Bioware (a company they should maybe be familiar with) did a true trilogy in Baldurs Gate/Baldurs Gate 2/Throne of Baal. And those didn’t resort to cliche hero-has-amnesia tricks to restart you off at level 1 again and again and again.

37. Ergates_Antius says:

I bothers me somewhat that having a “romance” * with a different character in ME2 is considered cheating given that :
    a) your partner from ME1 will have moved on with their life and doesnt seem particuarly interested in resuming the relationship.
    b) Sheppard died. Even marriage has a “’til death us do part” clause, and the relationship from ME1 was no where near as serious or formalised as a marriage.

I think being killed, then waking up to find your partner has buggered off and is now doing their own thing kind of releases you from any obligations.

* fumble

38. papabear says:

Long live the Biaware.

39. Risingson says:

Heterosexual, homosexual… you guys never had one of those nights that after some drinks the barrier of sexuality, hm, blurs?

40. kyrieee says:

ME2 has my favourite combat of any game ever, I hope they don’t change it too much!

41. Mihkel says:

Good to see that Bioware focuses on creating a pointless waifu simulator instead of honing the gameplay, adding new quests or polishing the story. I fear more and more that ME3 will eventually disappoint me as much as Dragon Age 2.

• pipman3000 says:

being inclusive towards LGBT audiences = turning the game into a dating sim.

if they had just kept it straight instead of trying to cater to those people bioware games would still be good!

• Mihkel says:

My point is that Bioware can’t do romances, doesn’t matter if it’s gay/bi/straight. DA2 is a good example of that. Instead of letting player investigate if they want to or not they force you on it and for that story and gameplay suffers.

42. BatmanBaggins says:

I don’t even play a male Shepard on my main saves, but I do think it’s kind of funny that you now have the option of basically having him be a huge closet case for the first two games.

Anyway, I’m sure the male-to-male romances will be just as awkward and poorly realized as the previous combinations have been.

43. JackShandy says:

This is great, but why now? Seeing as almost all of the love interests will be returning characters, are they going to suddenly swing around and say Garrus, Mordin or Thane are totally into you? Or is it thaty shepard has spent years and years in cold, black space never caring to even blink in a space-gigolo’s direction before falling straight into the arms of this newbie crew member? I can’t see this going well however they do it.

• Creeping Death says:

I always suspected Garrus had a thing for my Shepard…

• Iskariot says:

From what I have read it is mostly a matter of principle for Bioware.
      Although I am personally not interested in any kind of love interest at all in a game, and I avoid it like the black plague, I do admire them for that.

44. Creeping Death says:

I don’t mind adding a homosexual option, but will the characters be throwing themselves at me again? I’m thinking specifically of how they act in the DA games. Makes them out to be whores that’ll jump into bed with you if you say “Hi” to them in a friendly way.

Option for sexual relations with anyone? Great! Just don’t shove it in my face, make ME have to instigate it if I want.

Also, have a random dice roll so that sometimes they’ll straight out reject me xD

45. vash47 says:

Is it possible for Bioware to get any worse?

• Peggle20 says:

I love how your problem with Bioware is the gay option. I predict that next you’ll be screaming for the removal of racial minorities and women.

• pipman3000 says:

i also love how announcing a gay option (option meaning optional. meaning you aren’t forced to go that way) suddenly makes a whole bunch of guys here start hating bioware..

a lot of these people probably describe themselves as accepting of minorities. (as long as they keep out of view, don’t get to close to them, and stay away from their video games)

nerds – the most accepting and understanding people (as long as you’re straight, white, and male)

• Laephis says:

No. The problem is not “adding the gay option”, that’s an ASSUMPTION on your part. Maybe, just maybe, the problem is the focus on dating-sim elements instead of the traditional CRPG elements that Bioware built their reputation on. For fucks sake, it doesn’t matter if it’s straight or gay love, Bioware’s “romances” are clumsy, juvenile and pathetic.

• pipman3000 says:

if it didn’t matter this comment thread would of been a hell of a lot shorter.

46. papabear says:

I want to have sex with EDI. Cybersex is acceptable in my book.

47. Ergates_Antius says:

It’ll also be the first time ME has included girl-on-girl “romance” too seeing as the Asari aren’t actually female.

• CMaster says:

Yes they are. They produce and bear children. They even appear to have mammaries. There just isn’t a conventional males in the Asari.

• Ergates_Antius says:

“There just isn’t a conventional males in the Asari”
      Which means they’re not female – they’re a single-gender species and, as such, the terms male and female cannot apply.
      Also, neither being able to produce offspring or having breasts are the determining factor in being female, there are plenty of species that don’t fit this pattern.

• CMaster says:

I’d like to see a species in which the offspring don’t come from the female.
      Sure, you get a few weirdos like sea-horses where the gestation occurs in the male – but still the original cell that the child organisms grow from comes from the female. Equally, I’m aware of no mammals in which the males nurse the young (although there’s no reason why you couldn’t make a creature that way)
      Also, when Asari mate with bi-gendered species (a shame ME doesn’t experiment with tri-gendered species at all), the Asari is always taking on the female role. You can’t get impregnated by an Asari but an Asari can get pregnant from mating with another species.

• Ergates_Antius says:

“I’d like to see a species in which the offspring don’t come from the female”
      Most plants have both male and female reproductive parts, it’s the female parts that produce the seeds, but the plant itself is neither male nor female.
      Snails are hermaphrodite – following mating both snails become “pregnant”.

“I’m aware of no mammals in which the males nurse the young” True, but there are plenty of species where the females don’t nurse the young either – they’re still female. Plus Asari aren’t mammals anyway.

That the Asari can become pregnant from mating with a female just shows that they’re not female – they’re something else, which isn’t surprising as they’re not humans.

• CMaster says:

I was talking kingdom Animalia (within which there are indeed a few hermaphrodites). Once we move outside of that, the definitions male and female become a lot less relevant and sensical and lose any relevance at all when we get outside of the eukaryotes entirely.

I see your point though – Asari reproduction is so very different from that of well, pretty much all other species that that the sex terms for other species don’t really fit. Of course, the Asari makes absolutely no sense in an evolutionary or biological context anyway.

• The Hammer says:

Yeah, they’re clearly not based on females either.

*coughs*

• stahlwerk says:

Apparently, a uni-sexual species can be comprised of only female individuals. So arguing the Ansari are not female (when the game repeatedly states they are… e.g. what’s the point of calling an asexual being a matriarch?) just because they have no need for human-style male fertilization could be construed as slightly sexist…

SPACE SEXIST, even!

(I kid, it’s only space racist)

48. Jesse L says:

Excellent. Good for Bioware.

49. Lilliput King says:

But they’ll attract space-sharks.

Comment on this story