Fearsome Engine: Fireburst Trailer

By Quintin Smith on May 16th, 2011 at 9:44 am.

Pete's experiments with an External Combustion Engine were doomed to failure.

It’s Monday! I am sorry. Here, I’ve prepped a reward for you (yes, you) for finding the strength to climb out of bed this morning. Brother, sister, I know it’s tough. I know The Man is chipping at your soul like a poor-quality ice sculptor, so here are some trailers of Fireburst, a racing game coming this Summer featuring cars that are prone to catching fire. I hope it’ll also have pitstops which are just eight nervous-looking guys with fire extinguishers. That’d be fun.

You may want to watch both trailers before getting excited. The character design in the second trailer speaks, ah, volumes.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Stranglove says:

Finally, a driving game where you’re meant to be on fire.

2. xGryfter says:

Wow! That looks… awful. I’m going back to bed.

3. cathode says:

It’s a joke, right?

4. stahlwerk says:

He’s a speeddriving cheetah with a car full of napalm.

5. Eraysor says:

Not sure which of my ears or eyes is offended more by that first trailer.

6. Koojav says:

Gaaaaaah! My eyes are bleeding!

7. stahlwerk says:

To be fair, the environments in the Multiplayer Trailer look quite nice. Judgement: reserved.

8. sonofsanta says:

You’d think they’d need more flame retardant clothing in those cars, tbh, but apparently cheaper just to attract retards to race for you.

(sorry)

Impressive amalgamation of “extreme” and “dream” though. That’s a studio with pedigree right there.

9. radomaj says:

Sound quality argh. Both the music and the characters’ voices.

10. illestvillain says:

Ugh, that genuinely looks like what an ITV multi-part drama thinks all videogames look like.

11. Dominic White says:

I’ve said it before, but the games industry needs a Common Sense Agency. Just a small bunch of people for (reasonably cheap) hire that can look over promotional material and/or game content produced and say ‘No, that’s moronic and nobody will like it – try this instead’ in response to things like that second trailer…

• Perjoss says:

I have to agree with you. But what if all trailers were awesome, dont you kind of need crap stuff to fully appreciate the good stuff, otherwise everything just becomes ‘stuff’

• gavintlgold says:

What’s funny is Valve has mentioned that they have something quite like that, called Overwatch. A group of people whose job it is to make sure the devs aren’t putting stupid things into their games.

• SquareWheel says:

Counter-argument: The Skyrim trailer.

12. actionthom says:

I’ve got to say this is an amazing idea. Racing cars through deserts, mesas and scrapyards, trying to push your engine to the limit but not overheat, with a sassy bunch of drivers.
    If only there was a title like this that came out on the PS3 3 years ago! I definitely would have played it and it’s theoretical sequels.

13. Ralud says:

Hm, what we need is a proper Flatout sequel, racing around in old rust buckets on some dirt road.

14. MikoSquiz says:

The first trailer kind of makes me want to play the game. The second just makes me wish it was produced by grown-ups.

15. LimEJET says:

Wow. That has to be the worst sound quality I’ve ever heard in a trailer.

16. tomeoftom says:

Wow. I never thought I’d see the day when someone would actually up and make a game around “it’s the same thing you know and love, but literally on fire!” This is some kind of milestone.

17. vandinz says:

One word. PLOP.

18. Davee says:

Reminds me of the FlatOut games. Although I’m doubtful this will surpass them, judging from the trailers and looking at how the cars handle etc.

• Alez says:

yeah also reminds me of the flatout games. I even wanted to make a thread a wihle ago on this site asking for similar games but i really doubt there are any on the PC that i haven’t played already.

Hope this one scratches that Flatout itch i’ve been having for a long while.

19. AtkinsSJ says:

I like how there doesn’t seem to be any explanation, gameplay advantage, or consequence to the catching fire. Or at least, none shown in the trailers. You’d think their only selling point would get more attention. Unless the selling point is just “LOOK! FIRE!” in which case it’s quite appropriate after all.

20. Schtee says:

Spiritual successor to Big Red Racing?

21. Michael Hoss says:

In late 2010 I had a preview-copy of the game on the 360 debug. And hell it sucked. And since then, looking at the new trailer, nothing has changend at all.

22. The_Great_Skratsby says:

I thoroughly enjoy my destruction racing and car combat games but gosh. Generic Rock Track #24, fire particles everywhere (why?), and those animated mannequins… Now you see that’s why the cast of FlatOut are mute hud images to match a car and a.i.

23. iSoLateD1 says:

Looks a lot like Naild, the techland ATV racing game.

24. Phyla says:

Well, Motorstorm is quite amusing at times. Would be fun if we saw something similar on the PC. Too bad that this project seems nowhere near its bigger brother’s quality.

25. Anton says:

I hope this does well. This game is from exDream, their main developer, Mr. Nitschke, is one of the first developers who pushed XNA to the limit in terms of graphical quality. Now, I think this will be his first commercial game using his new cross-platform Delta Engine, and the engine is going to go Open Source within the year. So a huge kudos to him!
    These kinds of games does prove that C# is a powerful language to work with.

EDIT : well, I guess, coding & design are 2 very distinct monsters. =P You can write a great engine, but not excel at designing & writing for games. ;)

26. magnus says:

What is with that student radio garbage playing in the background? It’s a soundtrack in search of a low-rent Tony Hawks game!

27. Turbobutts says:

Graphical level of six year old FlatOut? Check.
    Tony Hawk approved skater punk-pop? Check.
    Levels looking like they’re from the garbage bin of what wasn’t used in Nail’d? Check.
    Badly modeled and animated chick saying that cars on fire are cool? Check.
    Fire seems to have no connection to the actual gameplay and is just there for the sake of being there? Check.

Oh wow.

28. GCU Speak Softly says:

Firesum Endjinn, shurely?

29. thedeadface says:

Probably won’t play the game but definitely enjoy the feersum endjinn play on words

30. Snargelfargen says:

The music and characters seem like they were taken from a Jackass episode 6 years ago. Setting a car on fire while driving it seems like something they would do too, but it would be more entertaining.

It looks like the “car smoldering, now car is on fire“ mechanic is just supposed to replace the boost meter that is in most arcade racers.

31. rocketman71 says:

I was a bit interested in this, but everything about the characters is just killing any anticipation I have. I don’t know what’s worse: the animations, the voices, what they say or the characters themselves. Bad move there.

32. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Wow. The music in that first trailer is horrendous. Horrific? Horrible?

And the second trailer tells me they’re just trying too hard. Like they’re having to compensate for some shortcoming. Oh and more bad music at the end.

33. Dhatz says:

ahshits is that manual animation and voices recorded on a tape?

Comment on this story