Just A Quickie: Gotham City Imposters Image

By John Walker on May 17th, 2011 at 3:28 pm.

Harley Quinn! Yay! If only she were made out of Lego.

Last night I mentioned Gotham City Imposters. The question I think everyone was left with was: if we’re all either Batman or the Joker, how much variety do we actually have? A piece of artwork released today suggests: and awful lot. Click on the pic above for a much bigger version, which suggests that as much as each side is themed by the one character, the differences will be striking. Even to the point of being a girl. (So essentially Batgirl and Harley Quinn (yay!), really.) Also, I’m still not over celebrating that it’s Monolith making this, despite its not being a game about sad people being scared on a depressing day!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Fumarole says:

That’s quite poor posture for using a bow.

2. icupnimpn2 says:

The theme is wacko, but aside from the bat ears and clown make-up what makes this really a “Batman” game? I look forward to finding out that answer.

• nimnio says:

The idea of Batman imitators is common in the comic books and movies. Even the use of guns fits: “Gee, I want to be Batman and take down criminals, but I don’t really want to have to deal with major emotional trauma and years of harsh training. I guess I’ll buy a gun.”

• Urthman says:

If the every match ends with Batman showing up and shutting the whole thing down by kicking everyone’s ass, this game could be brilliant.

Or maybe at the 2:00 minute mark, Batman starts unstoppably taking down members of each team from lowest-scoring player to highest-scoring player.

And maybe on other maps the same thing happens except it’s the Joker killing everyone.

• keith.lamothe says:

@Urthman

You’re on the right track, but I think appreciation of the sheer _scale_ of this symbolic travesty requires that _both_ Batman and Joker:
      1) Show up mid-match.
      2) Gasp in horror.
      3) Decide that a world populated by such entities would not be worth either saving or dominating.
      4) Join forces to annihilate both teams from life, existence, and memory. And hard-disk.

That batperson-in-a-skirt image is flatly disturbing.

All that said, this game looks like it could be really fun if Monolith does well.

Wait, as in the Monolith that did the Xenosaga games? No. Nonono, that would cause too much cognitive dissonance, I must be remembering wrong.

• icupnimpn2 says:

@nimnio, true. But in the context of the comics, the imitators have usually gone out and tried to do what Batman does (usually to a terrible end). This doesn’t sound like a game where you go and play vigilante or villain in Gotham. So what is going to make this red vs. blue team warfare by any other name? That’s what the devs are going to have to try to show, that the gameplay justifies the theme. Otherwise they might as well put Mickey Mouse ears on one team instead of bat-points.

I’d like to think that they have something up their sleeves or else wouldn’t have bothered trying.

Has anyone read the storyline that was inspired by the game concept?

Did you like?

• Delusibeta says:

@keith.lamothe: No, you’re thinking of Monolith Soft (a Nintendo subsidiary). We’re talking about Monolith Productions (a Warner Bros subsidiary) here.

• Urthman says:

These Joker gang-bangers have been causing trouble for weeks, but last night, they pushed it too far. Tonight you and your buddies decided to put on some masks and dish out a little vigilante justice–Batman style. (Yeah, the pretty lady on TV likes to claim he’s never killed anyone, but from the looks of fear that even your homemade cape and cowl provoke in some of these punks, you know that’s not the whole story.)

Your group has cornered several of the jerks in this warehouse, and successfully made sure a few of them won’t be causing any more trouble, thanks in no small part to the combat field medicine you learned in Afghanistan.

But after you rounded that last corner, Jerry was missing, even though no shots were heard.

Your team warily moves past a row of crates when suddenly you sense motion behind you, turning in time to see Sara, limbs flailing, whisked up, disappearing into the shadows above you. Her rifle clatters to the floor, and everyone scatters in a panic.

Gunfire. You glimpse Mike trading shots with one of the jokerz, who is suddenly knocked over by a black shape, moving too fast to see. As you catch up to Mike, you hear a whir of metal spinning and he crumples to the ground. You crouch to examine him. He’s breathing, not bleeding, but knocked out. He’s taken some kind of blow to the head. More gunfire. You have to move.

You sense that there’s only two of you left standing. But the other guy is an insane killing machine, and you’re just a medic. A dead medic, if he manages to corner you.

You sprint through what you hope is an exit only to find yourself face to grinning-white face with a green-haired maniac, his enormous gut heaving as he chortles with glee and points a shotgun at your face. Time’s up.

WHAM! Batman–the real deal–swoops into view and knocks the clown flat, following the tackle with two brutal blows to insure the asshole stays down.

You raise your hands in elation and the scene freezes, the camera panning victoriously around you…and then a black boot to the gut knocks you on your ass.

Batman stands above your prostrate form, stern disapproval on his face.

A disembodied voice says, “It’s a jailbreak! The Joker will have everyone free in 5…4…3…”

3. Torgen says:

This makes me miss Animaniacs. The WB logo on the water tower was the clincher.

4. DevilSShadoW says:

That is actually rather good. Maybe I’m a bit biased since it’s more or less the exact image my mind made up when I first head of the concept.

5. HermitUK says:

I approve of the nutty vibe of this entire project.

6. Linfosoma says:

I love that render, Btagirl looks specially good. Looking forward to see what the actual game looks like.

7. JerreyRough says:

One of those imposters reminds me of Batdwarf.

NOW I’m excited for this. I wouldn’t mind a TF2-like item system either.

8. fallingmagpie says:

What’s up with the Waterstones logo in the top right?

9. 9of9 says:

“Also, I’m still not over celebrating that it’s Monolith making this, despite its not being a game about sad people being scared on a depressing day!”

Really? Am I the only one who remembers the awesomeness of Monolith before they started on the dreadful FEAR series (personal opinion alert!) and made the utterly fantastic No One Lives Forever games? They’re one of the very few studios who have ever pulled off making games that are both funny and actually good games. Even though I’m not a fan of the Batman universe, this sounds awesome =P I’ve been waiting for a long while for them to return to their roots.

10. ArtyFishal says:

If the characters are visually customizable, this looks an awful lot like Brink: Gotham City. I really hope it is!

I do however think they missed an opportunity by not opening it up to imposters of the entire Batman universe. It would be great to play as a Penguin-like with umbrella guns, or a Catwoman-Like with a whip , or a hulking Bane-Like with a luchador mask.

• Xanadu says:

ArtyFishal – that’s the planned DLC you just described…

11. Hypatian says:

My coworker: “I also like that you can make Batman- and Joker-themed strippers. It fills a niche.”

12. Nallen says:

“…so I just took a drawing of a regular girl, halved her waist measurement and broke her spine. Was easy really.”

13. Misnomer says:

Meh. Looks like another TF2 ripoff combined with maybe Bloody Good Time, all smeared with Batman licensing to make it sell. Can’t say Monday Night Combat interested me at all, Bloody Good Time seemed quirky but lacked an substance to the multiplayer….gonna have to work really hard to convince me this is anything interesting.

• TotalBiscuit says:

If you somehow believe MNC is a TF2 rip-off then I don’t know what to tell you, that’s an incredibly narrow and misguided way to view the distinction between titles. Has classes? Is Multiplayer? Looks a bit colourful? TF2 RIPOFF!

• TsunamiWombat says:

If it’s a ripoff of anything, it’s ripping off Brink.

I remain pessimistic and suspicious- just like Batman.

14. megazver says:

Hahaha. I like this.

15. balistic says:

Part of me thinks this might have started out as a non-licensed game that ended up with a license, to make it more appealing to a publisher.

Only because I have fond memories of working on a cartoony, western-themed FPS a decade ago. Epic enjoyed our prototype enough to give us a huge discount on the Unreal engine, and THQ was lined up to publish it … provided we could find a way to tie it in to either Scooby Doo or the Power Rangers.

We walked away from that one.

I could totally be wrong about this game though, I just get a bit of the “foisted license” vibe.

16. Grey_Ghost says:

Woah, what is Simon/Honeydew doing in that shot (bottom left)? Batdwarf!

• OptionalJoystick says:

I am a dwarf and my parents are dead,
      deady deady dead,
      parents are dead

17. Betamax says:

The concept has grabbed my attention almost against my will, they are doing something right.

18. SpaceAkers says:

This is the wackiest thing I have seen from an A-list developer in….forever?

It looks like the kinda thing that would have been a mod for UT circa 2000 that never got out of the concept phase.

And yet….it’s a real game and we get to play it?

19. Moonracer says:

I’m into the roller skates and rocket launcher combo.

20. Hatsworth says:

That picture makes me slightly interested actually. Might be the kilted Scotsman.

21. MajorManiac says:

I love the idea of this. It kinda reminds me of the crazy blocks wars that would sometimes happen in (Judge Dredd’s) Mega City 1.

22. Dances to Podcasts says:

Monolith has a good history in wacky weapons, from glue guns and bananas to exploding robot kitties, so I’m hoping they’ll bring some of that to this game.