No The Witcher 2 WIT Today

By Jim Rossignol on May 17th, 2011 at 9:00 am.

Hello! Sorry I'm late.
Why not? Well, I’m afraid our code only unlocked at midday yesterday, and I’m not going to rush this for anyone. We’d been told to expect to get the game last week, but CD Projekt later insisted that RPS, Eurogamer, and a number of other online outlets wait for their day zero patch, which they completed on Sunday. You will see some print magazine reviews go up today, these are based on early code which CDP described to us as “outdated”. We’ll be reviewing what you’ll actually be playing this week. I have some early thoughts below, and will follow with further impressions and then a full WIT later in the week.

Firstly: Hooray! Two of things we complained about from the previews of the game have been fixed. There are extensive graphics options to choose from before the game launches (and I would argue that the auto-detect is a little pessimistic, so it’s worth having a fiddle) although I am not sure turning off motion-blur actually worked, as there is definitely still some blur in there.

Secondly: despite that day zero patch I’ve encountered a minor scripting bug already. Well, I say minor, it broke the game but reloading a couple of times helped me to get past it, after a fashion. It still didn’t seem quite right, but since I’d already played that in the extensive preview of the game we did, it wasn’t too bad. Nevertheless I suspect we are in for more patching in the coming weeks.

Thirdly: I am enjoying the hell out of this a second time (actually third, given that I hit that first ten hours a couple of times) and I can’t wait to get deeper into the game. I feel like I’ve begun to master the sword combat, so I am rolling about and stabbing people in the chest with some glee. Also I’ve finally updated my graphics card, so it’s pretty smooth even at the highest settings. Oh, you should see some of the environments!

Christ, why I am sat here typing this nonsense? BACK TO THE GAME.

, , , .

1. HexagonalBolts says:

Good for you, this is why I read you guys and nobody else (well, other than to laugh at IGN). I’m installing it now. Exciting stuff!

2. Shubb9 says:

Downloading last bits of stuff now but can’t get straight into it cos my old saves were with the disc version and I now have steam version and it doesn’t like them. That means replaying first one first! Beginning of chapter 3, witcher speed run anyone?

• Dionysus says:

If you have saves, just stuff them into “Documents/The Witcher/saves” (Vista/7) or “My Documents/The Witcher/saves” (XP) and it’ll find them with or without the first game installed.

• dancingcrab says:

Beginning of Chapter 3 is *exactly* where I am too! Although I’ve never finished the game. Guess I should prioritise it now that Zavvi have shipped my copy of the sequel…

• abremms says:

i’v tried to play the witcher perhaps a dozen times, but I always stop at the begining of chapter 3 because chapter 2 sucked my soul away and I had to take a break, but after that horrible horrible jaunt through the outskirts, I can never get motivated to go back for more. I’m told it gets better, but…. bleeeeaaaaahhhhhh

3. Nim says:

Must complete Software project for university course… Must learn regular expressions, client and server architecture, web applications… Must not rush off to purchase Witcher 2. Must contain oneself…

4. Spacewalk says:

Needs “scarring eyes” tag.

5. fionny says:

Cannot wait to get home and play this tonight… hopefully my play order will show up today! If not me thinks ill be browsing certain websites for a way to speed up my wait time!

• fionny says:

Well it seems play.com has let me down… that is the last time I use them for anything. Going to return it when it arrives, have bought on D2D and am downloading in work for tonight :)

6. Longrat says:

I hope we won’t be seeing some unnecessarily low reviews as a result of bad code.

7. Scatterbrainpaul says:

Not being able to invert the mouse is putting me off buying this now. I’m a total gaming retard when I can’t reverse the mouse

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Filthy mouse inverters.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

In Northern Kingdoms, mouse invert you!

• godgoo says:

over at the gog forums there is much talk about this- I played the first hour at midnight last night and it’s pretty lovely but I really struggled as I am one of those that likes to tilt my character’s head forward (move mouse forward) to look down (yes, you KNOW it makes sense!!).

Anyway. There appears to be an ini file workaround for now and hopefully this will be patched, in the mean time you can get the workaround info (not tested it yet myself due to pesky work commitments), and add your inverted pleas on this topic:

• tomeoftom says:

You people make me sick to my stomach. IT DOESN’T MAKE ANY SENSE. Also, the “it’s like piloting a plane” reasoning also MAKES NO SENSE because if you leave a plane’s joystick at some level, it’ll keep pitching. It only MAKES SENSE on stupid toything controllers, which actually have joysticks. Grrrgh!

• godgoo says:

@tomeoftom
      Two things:

1) Imagine your mouse hand is actually resting on the back of the playable characters’ head. Which way do you push to look down?

b) If people who invert the Y axis of their mouse make you ‘sick to the stomach’ you may need a little perspective in life.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Haha yeah I think Tom might be having a bad morning. I used to invert mouse for this reason too – I got used to arcadey Amiga flight sims where you pulled back to pitch up / moved forward to pitch down. They all used mouse so the movements were the same. However one day I decided to train myself out of it and just play with normal settings. It actually only took about 10 minutes for my brain to adjust, and I never went back. Now I am a 100% non-sick-making non-inverted mouse user. No vomit bags for Tom :D

• Web Cole says:

I’m sure he’s being just a little tongue in cheek. Probably.

• MaxNormal says:

Yes no invert mouse is a pretty huge oversight. Every single game I play I have to set it cause it just messes with my head when it is set wrong. For the hard of thinking as far as us “Inverts”* are concerned the default mouse setting the rest of the world uses is wrong and alien. I just cannot get my head around the standard setting in a mouse based game – 15 years of experience rules otherwise.

* Yes I am sniggering a little at calling myself an Invert.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

@ Max, have you ever tried just forcing yourself to play a game with invert off? It feels utterly alien and bizarre for the first ten minutes, and then your brain just suddenly goes “hang on, I get it”. Thats how it was for me anyway, bit of perseverance and then its like your mind just changes its own laws of physics. Quite a cool thing to experience :) (yes I am easily pleased)

8. MasterBoo says:

Just finished installing it on my laptop, but the problem is that I’m in work! Gah! Must resist not to play in work :P

9. l1ddl3monkey says:

Actually good as I’m still playing through the first one and didn’t want to buy the next one until I’d seen some trusted reviews (i.e. an RPS review). Does anyone do “first day” purchases anymore, since most games are now released “unfinished”?

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

GTA 4 fixed me from ever doing it again. ever.

• Gnoupi says:

Portal 2 restored my faith in day 1 purchases.

Then Brink came.

• Alder says:

Russian version seems ok. At least not broken.
      But i was killed about 50 times for 2 hours of gameplay. And this is on “normal”!

• sassy says:

I started on hard because The Witcher 1 was so much better on it. A couple of hours in and I have died a huuuuuge amount. I just stopped when I entered a room with three guards and got chopped down pretty quickly.

Not that I’m complaining. I’m having a lot of fun despite the constant death, maybe even more because of it. I’m dying less now as I’m getting used to battle strategies.

• Alder says:

Oh, hard fightings is good. Just didn`t expect that it will be SO hard on “normal”

10. SilverSilence says:

I can’t believe they botched the Steam release and only sent the game files to them a few hours ago!

Now we have to wait for the data to be loaded onto the content servers and put up with slow speeds for several hours.

Oh well, at least we now know the Steam version has no securom :D

• Premium User Badge VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Where does this information regarding the Steam version originate, my good sir? I wish to make further enquiries in this matter.

• SilverSilence says:

ChrisD from the Steam forums, he is answering questions throughout the thread!

• groovychainsaw says:

I thought that was all to do with their – ‘*exclusively* pre-load on GOG’ thing they were doing, rather than a botch. Just to push you towards their store instead. Which is probably fair enough, what with it being DRM-free and all.

• GenBanks says:

I got it off GOG, it’s been ready to play for a few hours now :) If only I didn’t have an important exam tomorrow.

I’m wondering how patches will work through GOG though, I guess I’ll have to download them the old fashioned way, individually as they come out?

11. Koojav says:

Well I went today at 01:00 am to Tesco near me, since they’ve got cheapest Witcher 2 – 20eur, and apparently the person responsible for putting games on shelves starts work at 06:00 am. So I’ve got to go back there today.

• fionny says:

Hmm where do you live? Ive never seen PC games in any tesco ive visited.

• pandora says:

Here in Poland they usually stock some games, dvds and books, but that’s because Tescos exist mainly in super/hipermarket kind, rather than Tesco Expresses. And the price would seem to be right, too.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Tesco’s plans for world domination continue apace…

• Donjonson says:

Well, Tesco’s five hour war with Denmark was quite successful so I think we should be saluting our new retail overlords. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfSi0D7KESk

12. adonf says:

The GOG downloader is still stuck for me. Dunno if I should restart it (I don’t want it to make me re-download the whole game)

• MasterBoo says:

Restarting the GOG downloaded keeps your progress. The download for me was stuck at 9600mb (out of 9700) and restarting it continued my download until it was over.

• sassy says:

It’s not that it’s stuck, its that it doesn’t know how to handle the situation. Gog put all but a couple of files up for the preload, an effective way to keep people from playing before release. Now that the game is out, the gog downloader doesn’t understand that it has to resume. All I had to do was press the resume button and away it went, others keep saying to restart the downloader.

13. Cradlejoe says:

If my pre-order doesn’t come today I’ll just have to start baying like a sick hound

14. Premium User Badge Skystrider says:

You know wot I think? I think you fine people should open this page here:

…and wait 3 minutes, and be ready to copy paste. Somethin’ good comes your way. ;-)

15. DSR says:

Combat is as clunky and broken as in the first game?
    If it is, I’ll pass.

Wanted to preorder W2, but decided to play W1 first.
    Bought it(It was on sale).

Voice acting was downright horrible in 2 different languages I’ve tried(Can’t figure out which one was worse, English or Russian voiceover).

Combat? I’ll just shut up now. Not sure if I can be banned here for excessive swearing…

I wish ARPGs could just get combat right for once…
    Like Severance: BOD did(Though it was Action, not RPG)

• Gnoupi says:

From what I understand (from the previous articles on RPS), combat is completely different now.
      The Witcher 1 had combat more on the RPG side (moreover being built on the NVN2 engine), as in “you click, it will attack (when your turn comes)”.

This one should be more direct, more “action”.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Combat: better.

Voice acting: better.

The Witcher 1: Not a benchmark by which to judge The Witcher 2.

• meatshit says:

The Witcher 1 was a first time effort by a studio with limited resources and it shows. It had plenty of faults, but it felt like most were due to inexperience and lack of resources instead of lack of vision. Beneath the clunky combat system and sometimes horrible backtracking quests, there were glimmers of a wonderful RPG with a rich and complex universe, interesting characters and choices with actual consequences. CD Projekt Red couldn’t quite bring it into existence though.

This time around they definitely have the resources and I hope they’ve learned enough from their prior mistakes to make a truly great RPG. I’m not sure they have, but I’ll find out in 7 hours.

• DSR says:

OK OK IM BUYING IT NOW!!!

Just stop praising it, Jeeez…

• abremms says:

@Gnopi Not to nitpick (but thats exactly what this is), The first witcher game was actualy built on the Aurora engine that Bioware built for the first Neverwinter Nights game. makes it even more impressive what they were able to get out of it.

NWN2 used the same engine as well, but it was originaly built for the first NWN.

16. adonf says:

“I am not sure turning off motion-blur actually worked, as there is definitely still some blur in there”

Are you sure it’s motion blur you’re seing ? Motion blur is not the same as depth of field, if there are some blurred parts in scenes with not much action then it’s not motion blur.

I’m not sure how motion blur is done on current hardware, but DoF doesn’t require too much processing power (requires some memory though).

17. Premium User Badge Skystrider says:

BOOM!

[All Redeemed]

Enjoy!

• adonf says:

W-fucking-ow !!!

• Pemptus says:

@Skystrider
      Holy crap. Got the game. You are legendary and I thank you. Lack of words.

• Shubb9 says:

Wow, is that legit?
      “Can’t redeem a game I already own” :(
      If this is for real, nice one son. You star!

• Wilson says:

Thank you for your great generosity sir!

• Premium User Badge Skystrider says:

Shubb9:

Yup, all legit, GOG has gotten paid and I got the codes. All redeemed now, though. Enjoy the game, fellas! :)

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Awww, damn, I must wait for sale then >.<

Very very nice of you though!

• Fierce says:

What? What happened?

Dammit, did I miss it?!

• Shubb9 says:

Skystrider:
      The greatness of the munificence! Well played sir!
      People, dude just gave away 3 copies of the Witcher 2 from GOG. Bow low indeed

• Premium User Badge Keymonk says:

I already bought it, so I wasn’t here, but that is awesomely done. Nice. Have a star. *

• Fierce says:

Oh, okay. It’s good to have money.

Already pre-ordered on Steam so all I can offer is a polite nod rather applause. Good show though.

• aerozol says:

Legendary. Glad I didn’t get one though (Exams etc etc, some of you know what I mean)

• westyfield says:

Cor, that was very kind! Kudos to you, good sir.

• The Tupper says:

I wasn’t here in time to take advantage, but that kinda gesture is above and beyond the highest of high standards. You’re a good person.

18. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Outrage etc.

19. WMain00 says:

Jim,

“Also I can’t, for reasons obscure, figure out how to invert the mouse. I might just be being slow.”

Here:

Some people have said that opening User.ini in your Documents\Witcher 2\Config folder and setting MouseSensitivityY in the MouseInput settings to a negative value will do it.

20. iHavePants says:

Why zany masochists insist upon inverting controls in games that don’t involve flying an aircraft is beyond me.
    And in regards to that, does it mean you would do the opposite in a flight game?
    Bizarre.

• groovychainsaw says:

Has to be invert for FPS, surely ;-) (opens can of worms). Imagine your hand is on top of your char’s head (like its on a mouse). Now you want to push the head to look down. Which direction do you move the mouse hand? Forwards, obviously. Considering you’re effectively driving from within someone else’s head, that makes a lot of sense to a lot of people.

Obviously, for a flight sim, you’d use it like you use a joystick in a plane. Its only the abstraction of driving someone else’s head around (we should replace FPS for ‘head racing simulator’) that causes confusion.

Also, how come you need invert mouse in this game at all? I don’t recall being able to do anything with the camera in the original (and i was playing last night!). Is this a lot more 3rd person-y?

• Jim Rossignol says:

Brain wiring. I can’t deal with it not being inverted for too long, makes me feel weird.

• Premium User Badge Mungrul says:

The reason I invert mouse in all games I play where the camera is controlled by the mouse is precisely BECAUSE of flight sims; more specifically, Apache Gunship on the Speccy taught me that pressing the up key moved the view down and vice versa.
      I also link it mentally to head movement; when I look up, I move my neck and head back. When I look down, I move my head and neck forward. Inverted mouse just seems more right

• mondomau says:

Me too. I’m the only one in our gamin group that inverts, so I get sworn at a lot when we hotseat at LAN parties.
      I’ve been having a really tough time with Dragon Age 2 – for some reason, neither the standard or inverted controls feel right and I end up staring at the floor a lot…

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Yes, but, Forward on mouse = eyes up is so much more intuitive -__-
      each to their own I guess.

• Ovno says:

No it means when we started playing games the only first person games were flight sims so we learnt how to control first persons from there…

And I still can’t fathom how and why you would want it any other way but then each to there own i suppose….

• SpaceAkers says:

I absolutely have to invert the Y on the camera / look on any game I play w/ a gamepad. Games are basically 100% unplayable to me, otherwise.

Couldn’t imagine doing that with the mouse tho (except in those Right-click and hold to move the camera Third Person Scenarios, but those generally seem to match up with what I expect it to do.)

Nevertheless, I can understand where people are coming from in this regard, even if I think inverting mouselook is PURE MADNESS.

the real crazies are those who invert the X-Axis…….

• aerozol says:

I play it inverted, because in FPS I imagine myself as holding the trigger/ back of a rifle with my right hand, so when I move it up, it changes my aim down. OK, so not really, it’s just habit, but I think I thought that was cool when I first started playing that way (When I started playing Halo? Probably)

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Not that it matters how anyone plays, but you can train yourself to use either method. I had the same thing from years of Amiga type flight games, and remember playing Half Life and Far Cry with invert mouse. Then one day I decided to sit with a game for about 10 minutes with invert off. It just suddenly clicks after a bit of discomfort.

Essentially think of the screen as being like windows – in XP (I am poor) when you want to go and click on the start button, you move the mouse down and left. In XP, you might move it up and left to click My Computer. if you want to move the camera to shoot a guys head at the top of the screen, think of it as clicking on the “icon” of his head, and imagine moving a mouse pointer up there to do it. After a while, your brain suddenly ‘gets it’ and switches over – its quite cool, like a brain-hack.

• Stochastic says:

I remember reading somewhere that one’s preferences for y-axis movement orientation involves whether you perceive your avatar to be located in front of your head or “within” it. Or something along those lines anyways, I wish I could find the original article. Back in my days as a console gamer I became habituated to using y-axis inversion. To this day I still can’t aim decently for the life of me on default y-axis movement, although with practice I have improved. Curiously, I learned to use standard orientation on PC.

As others have noted, your brain will eventually adjust to the new orientation given that you allot it sufficient time and patience. If you think adapting to a new orientation is beyond you, consider the perceptual adaptation experiments of George Stratton, where he wore glasses that inverted his field of vision. After several days he was able to navigate the world and actually experienced some temporary disorientation when he removed his glasses.

• CrankyChipmonk says:

I used to be a inverter as well. I learned to switch to standard after I started playing fps on the PC instead of the consoles. The problem is that only the y axis gets inverted. If you want to aim up and to the right in standard, you move up and to the right. In Inverted, you move the mouse down and to the RIGHT. I realized that i mostly only moved up and down OR left and right at a single time. When I switched to standard, it took some time, but eventually i got to the point where my looking movements are smoother. In a third person game however, often the left and right get reversed. You move the mouse left to move the “camera” floating behind the avatar’s head left. In this situation, it can feel really weird to have only the left and right inverted.

21. Ralud says:

The hype surrounding this game has made me 12 years old again, I’ll just dabble in some KotOR and the first one while I wait for my copy to arrive.

22. jplayer01 says:

D2D is so slow right now. :( Another five hours until I can play.

• fionny says:

All Digital download crowds have stupid slow speeds, its my one major gripe with Steam also.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Steam usually downloads at 800kb/s is that slow? >.> I thought it was quite good.
      The best I ever got was 1.5mb/s on a good torrent..
      Speedtest says it should be around 6mb/s..

• SpaceAkers says:

yeh I generally get 700k+ on Steam. It does vary tho, from 300k all the way up to 1.6mb/s.

I’m downloading The Witcher 2 : Assassins of Subtitles from D2D now and it’s at about 650k/sec.

SO I HAVE NO SUCH GRIPES!

• fionny says:

Im spoilt, when I use the usenet I get 14.1mbps download… thats what I expect.

• abremms says:

most forms of digital distribution will get slow on release day when everyone is trying to download at once, thats why they usualy offer pre-loading on big titles, to spread it out a bit. They didn’t this time because i guess GoG.com wanted exclusivity for that bit. still, beats actualy having to go to a store and wait in line.

23. Premium User Badge The Sombrero Kid says:

Is this as perverted as the first game? mass effect is about as perverted as i can stomach, if someone could let me know if this is more or less perverted than mass effect that’d please me greatly.

• Blackseraph says:

What do you mean by perverted?

Witcher 2 is mature, there is boobs too. But I wouldn’t call it perverted. I really can’t see how mass effect was perverted either.

• fionny says:

Sorry have to laugh at this… Mass Effect was very very far from perverted and sure The Witcher was mature but it wasn’t perverted.. people go about sleeping with strangers all the time and people swear f**king constantly! Its hardly perverted..
      And there is absolutely nothing perverted about the female or male body.

• Betamax says:

At most you could call the sex cards tacky I guess, his exploits are debatable (it’s not much worse than Kirk et al afterall) but the cards, while nicely done, can’t avoid their tackiness. Although if those ARE what you are referring to then good news! They are gone from TW2. Supposedly it features more mature depictions of sex. But still boobs and general nudity.

• abremms says:

the first Witcher’s approach to “mature” content was about as immature as it gets without having Geralt yell out ” OMG BOOBIES LOL!” everytime he sees a well endowed serving wench. good for a laugh though.

I’v heard Witcher 2 treats the subject with a bit more maturity. still, some people aren’t comfortable with having sex in thier games, thats personal preference, From what I heard about Witcher 2, they may want to pass if thats really a deal breaker.

• Premium User Badge Thirith says:

The question of mature and immature aside – calling games ‘perverted’ because they contain OMGsex!!!!! strikes me as rather repressed and neurotic.

24. Ravenger says:

I was so disappointed when I found the configuration utility won’t let you bind many keys on the keyboard including the ARROW KEYS! Why? What is the reason for letting you bind some keys and not others.?

I’m a lefty who has used the arrow keys for over 15 years, and they won’t let me use them.

The game itself looks excellent – probably the best looking PC game I’ve seen in a long time, but the restricted key binding has left me with a sour taste. A terrible first impression.

Here’s hoping there’s a way to fix it via ini files.

• cHeal says:

Fiddle sticks. I play RDFG. I hope there is some way I can change the key binds.

• Furius says:

Yeah same, I just quickl yinstalled (gog – took 40 mins) at work and tried to re-bind but you cant! What are the arrows keys even used for! You can even re-bind mouse button 1 for heavens sake. Please someone with more computer expertise explain config.sys wizardry if it’s possible.

In good news it looks pretty smashing even on my middle aged work rig.

• Ravenger says:

I havent tried this yet, as I’m at work but these are the inifile entries you need to enable arrow key movement:

[Input]
      KeyboardLayout=QWERTY

IK_Down=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftY,Value=-1.000000)
      IK_Left=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftX,Value=-1.000000)
      IK_Right=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftX,Value=1.000000)
      IK_Up=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftY,Value=1.000000)

25. Althilor says:

The cynic in me says CD Projekt deliberately sent the build to Valve late. I mean, it isn’t like they own their rival own digital distribution platform, is it? Bit of a dickish move that lowers my opinion of the game before I get it, though not dickish enough for me to write a childish metacritic review giving it a zero like so many others do to so many other games.

• Blackseraph says:

This is a game that people really should have bought from gog anyway. In support of cd projekt.

Nothing against steam, but cd projekt deserves to be supported here.

• Althilor says:

They get my money anyway. It matters not where I get it from.

• Premium User Badge Harlander says:

Won’t CD Projekt still get money if one buys the game through Steam?

• meatshit says:

It matters because Valve takes a cut from every Steam sale. Some of your money will go to CD Projekt, but not as much as if you had bought it from them directly via GOG.

• Premium User Badge Cinek says:

Buying on Steam == Feeding Valve.

If you buy on GoG you only feed the developer, not the Steam-platform-owner.

26. Premium User Badge Some_Guy says:

Why is this out the day before my M1 exam, even got stiudy leave for today; WHY????

27. Vexing Vision says:

It’s installing at home as we speak. Probably done already.

And in 9 hours, I’ll see if it works.

28. zugu says:

This is retarded. RPS should review whatever code it received from CD Project. If that’s bad code, well, too bad!

Bad code should not be released, but when it is released, it deserves whatever bashing it receives.

• Kaira- says:

Because reviewing a game on the basis of code that is not in the final product is plain stupid? Like reviewing a game from the basis of beta?

• d32 says:

Oh sir, I think someon..thing else is being retarded here.
      RPS should review the code the customers will get after buying the game.

• Betamax says:

Yeah, that would make sense if the game was RELEASED in that state, but not if it was patched for release day or before. It’ll definitely be silly if some reviewers criticise the game for bugs and glitches that were removed prior to public release if you ask me, hopefully those that do review the prior code take that into account. Good on RPS I say, if you are that bothered about waiting for the review of a game you can afford to wait a few extra days anyway.

• Jim Rossignol says:

You misunderstand. The code didn’t unlock until yesterday, I simply haven’t had time to review it.

29. detective says:

Damn it, amazon still have not delivered my copy.. RAGE! Not that I can play it anyway due to these obnoxious exams..

30. KauhuK says:

My copy of witcher 2 didnt come today :(. At least I can play Terraria :).

• Premium User Badge Cinek says:

Nor did my. But I’m patient. In either way I still have few hours of work, so won’t be able to play before nighttime. Hopefully UPC will deliver it meanwhile.

31. Item! says:

Hey Mr Rossignol (and/or anyone else who has their mitsubishi on this already)

You say you bought a new GPU and it runs “fairly well” on the higher settings..?

Pray tell what card did you purchase?

Keen to know if I can crank the pretties to 11 with my GTX570…

• Item! says:

“Mitsubishi” eh?

Thanks autocorrect!

• godgoo says:

I am running everything on max EXCEPT uber sampling (which triple renders each frame or something crazy!!?) vsync on etc with completely smooth framerates.

my specs:

i7 2600k 3.4GHz
      8gb DDR3
      gtx560 ti OC

So providing you have an ok processor and enough ram your 570 should be plenty!

• Item! says:

Thanks Godgoo – that sounds promising…

My 570 is partnered with a 2500k @ 4.3Ghz and 8Gb RAM, so based on your experience it will hopefully be buttery smooth and pretty to boot.

32. Wizlah says:

Fancypants collectors edition arrived. My lord, they stuffed a lot in there. Will post on community forums, but please, developers, if you’re going to send a heavy plaster bust (even a small one), you may want to think about nestling it in a flimsy black plastic box inlay, because the latter will probably bust.

A layer of sponge across part of the bottom woulda done it. It just bugs me a little because the nice packaging is bust.

Ah well. Will try and install in about a month’s time … for now it’s all packed safely away.

Incidentally, that bust of geralt is actually alright. not too big, not too small, a bit characterful. I’m not normally one for that kinda nonsense, but I thought this good.

• Premium User Badge Harlander says:

Is it the bust or the box that held the bust that is bust?

• Premium User Badge VelvetFistIronGlove says:

It comes with a bust? What happened to the rest of the wench?

• Wizlah says:

The bust ain’t bust, it’s just the thing carrying the bust wot is bust.

clear proof that the witcher’s vile filth promotes boobs on the brain.

33. sonofsanta says:

On the one hand, boo, really want to read a WiT because goddammit I am so excited. On the other hand, well, I can’t complain that you’re doing things right. I much prefer the right review to a fast review.

First time in 4 years I’ve bought a game on day one, I feel like a child taking the game manual into school to read at break before I can play the game that evening.

Anyone with an ATi card played this yet, btw? I hear rumblings of issues there. I suspect I may be stuck waiting for a couple of days till the Crossfire profile will be out as well.

• frenz0rz says:

I know how you feel. I, too, had not bought a game on day one since Empire: Total War, and swore after that hideous (but fun! but hideous) debacle never to buy another game on release again. Well, here I am…

34. Squirrelfanatic says:

Now I only have to finish TW1. I am currently in Act 2. Hm.

Damn.

• groovychainsaw says:

Having only played it on and off since xmas (and liking it immensely, my favourite RPG of recent times, just time-poor), I’m in the same boat as you.

I actually have the sequel installed but will most likely be trying to finish off the final chapter of the original tonight rather than starting the sequel. I need a time machine or something. Anyone got one i could borrow? Preferably with gullwing doors?

• cHeal says:

I started the first one again just over 2 weeks ago, so I’d have a save to import. The first 3 chapters were hard work and time consuming, but got onto Chapter 4 on sunday. Got a few hours done, then from 4 pm yesterday I had a marathon session and finished the game at half 12 last night.
      I haven’t been this excited about a game possibly ever.

35. mike_c says:

bloody amazon (or whomever they are using) haven’t delivered it yet … grrrr, where’s triss with the teleport when you need her.
    At least I finished the second one last week so I have the saves ready to go once it gets here.

36. terry says:

I forgive you. Write about Terraria instead :-)

37. frenz0rz says:

Got Witcher 2 Premium on Amazon for £24, but apparently I’ve got to sit in this chair and fester for two days before its delivered. Strangely, I noticed the ‘digital’ premium version was on Steam for over £35. Why would you get that version, even for the same price, when you dont get the physical map/coin/book/origami figures/guide/making of etc.?

38. manveruppd says:

I find it a bit disturbing that you felt like you had to explain why you don’t have a review out before the game was even released! Obviously a thorough, leisurely playthrough and a good write-up take time, and this is a big RPG anyway! No stress here, take it easy! :)

39. sonofsanta says:

Another thought occurs: how does the save game importing work? I think my last save is on the Ice Plains somewhere, so is that importable or do I need to redownload 15GB of TW1 to play for ten minutes to get a save back at the Cloister?

40. Flameberge says:

Here’s a question: Giant spiders, yay or nay?

The presence or lack thereof will unfortunately heavily influence whether I buy the game soon, or wait for it to come down in price – so I don’t rip myself off if I can’t get past any spider encounters.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

I guess that’s a tough one for you. Or it could be, if there are giant spiders in the first place. Maybe if TW2 is (or will be) mod-able, you might be able to get some re-skin- or replacements-mods for those occurrences. I know that there is stuff like that out there for Dragon Age at the least.

• ankh says:

Here’s an idea: Harden the fuck up.

• Premium User Badge VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Yes, it has giant spiders. I hate them too.

41. Item! says:

For all NVIDIA users, a new beta driver (275.27) has surfaced on Guru 3D and allegedly offers both a fix for those who were getting single-digit fps due to a glitch with the 3D drivers in the current WHQL driver set ( even if you weren’t *using* 3D) and some general performance tweaks.

42. Scatterbrainpaul says:

Trying to install now but getting error message saying steam servers to busy