Remember: Amnesia DLC, Game Free Today

By John Walker on May 17th, 2011 at 2:19 pm.

Ooh, I don't like that painting.

Super-spookfest Amnesia was one of our favourite games last year. Ridiculously scary, and mightily well crafted, the first person adventure had us shivering in our swivel chairs. And shitting in our trousers. (I think I’d gone a bit too mainstream in that previous sentence – rescued at the end.) So flipping hooray – they’re re-releasing their Potato Sack DLC, Justine, as a free addition to the game. Along with other other goodies. And it gets even free-er today. If you head to the OnLive forum you can get a code that will allow you to play the full game for no pennies.

Justine is a whole new story developed by Frictional, and set in the Amnesia world. But it’s not the only story you’ll get for freeeee. There’s a collection of five short stories, written by the game’s writer, and illustrated by Frictional’s concept artists. They will, we’re told, fill in some gaps in the universe’s story, and create some new ones at the same time. That’ll all arrive in the 1.2 update that should appear today.

There’s also news that the game’s soundtrack, scored by Mikko Tarmia, is now available to buy at their store.

But if you really want to save some money, then you can try taking OnLive for a spin. The application that gives you access to games you don’t have installed on your own computer has just added Amnesia to its mix. There’s a free trial demo for everyone. But those who make the effort to finish the demo and get to the pay prompt, and put in the password they’ll find on the OnLive forums – before today is through – will unlock the whole game for abso-nothing-lutely.

And that’s all the Amnesia news.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. DevilSShadoW says:

If this game wasn’t so god-awfully terrifyingly scary I’d go over and play the demo in a heartbeat. Alas heart attacks are not my favorite activity so i will have to shamefully skip this.

• FalseMyrmidon says:

It’s more like slowly dawning dread than monster jumping out of closet.

Darkelp says:

That game took me to the Mountain of Madness and showed me indescribable horrors.

I look forward to playing five more chapters.

3. jameskond says:

Woah, awesome, thanks for mentioning it on time! :D

How well does Onlive work in Europe though?

Crimsoneer says:

I just gave it a go from london on my 3-4mb.s connection, and weirdly, quite well. I played one round of UT just fine

• sidhellfire says:

Bandwidth is not a problem, unlike the ping.

• jameskond says:

Yeah I tried the Assassins Creeds Brotherhood demo today on onlive and it was a brilliant experience. Live in The Netherlands btw. Only had one connection issue for a second but apart from that it worked fine. Didn’t put more load on my PC than an HD video. Also pretty sweet Brotherhood has a demo to begin with on Onlive, as far as I know it doesn’t on Xbox/PS3/PC :)

4. westyfield says:

“And shitting in our trousers.”

You mean finding bags of Milky Ways, right?

Right?

P7uen says:

I’m about 4 hours in, my apartment is a veritable Milky Way factory, let me tell you.

(Edit: 4 hours doesnt mean much, I’ve spent most of it hiding in corners.)

Darkelp says:

Haha, Amnesia is a good hiding in cupboards simulator.

• McDan says:

So many bags of milky ways its ridiculous. I played the first 3 minutes or so when I first got it and was too scared for about 3 months to play any more. And then I did, hence the bags of milky ways littering
      my floor.

• mowglie says:

I can’t escape, because my escape key is broken!

• Finster says:

Captain Cabinet,
      Trapped in Cabinets.
      Can he get out?
      Will he get out?
      Course he will.

• goodoldays says:

oh finster i love thee!
      deep down in the ocean
      blue like a barnacle
      sitting in the tight place
      laughin like a monkey arm
      pullin like a china boy
      caraway caraway caraway noise
      boom chika masala
      boom chika masala
      OOOOOOOOOOOOOH
      tooth tooth!

Lars Westergren says:

The game that caused hundreds of thousands of young people to be deeply closeted.

5. MadTinkerer says:

As far as I can tell, Justine was never removed from the Steam version? It was updated to remove the ARG trigger thingies, as all the sack games have, but whenever I checked it, Justine was still an option.

Now I just(ine) need to play Amnesia more. :)

6. disperse says:

Thanks for the OnLive tip John!

I’ve been interested in trying out Amnesia for a while but my4-year-old gaming laptop isn’t really up to the task. I’m already an OnLive user though so I jumped on the offer. I’m looking forward to turning all the lights off and scaring myself through a drawer full of clean underwear.

• disperse says:

Also, it looks like you don’t have to play through the demo in order to apply the promo code. The promo code worked for me directly through the marketplace without playing the demo first.

7. iunder says:

No need to play through the demo. Just put in the code at checkout, through the OnLive client.

8. Vinraith says:

I’m very glad to see the DLC get a general release, Frictional’s stock (which was already quite solid, mind) just went up another notch in my book.

I’m less pleased to see that Onlive still exists. The ultimate in online-all-the-time, no-control-over-your-games DRM can only give the industry bad ideas as long as it’s still alive.

• trjp says:

The thing is, renting games could actually be something quite astonishing BUT it requires someone to take a leap and switch to an entirely new model (with or without this ‘remote play’ concept Onlive has).

Imagine a world where a game’s cost was a sliding scale relating to the time you played it. First X hour(s) are free – the next X hours will cost a % of the total until you’ve played it enough to pay “full price” at which point the game is free “forever”.

In this world, the games people play the most would reward the developer/publisher the most. Reviews would no longer be the keystone because everyone could play every game for themselves – good games which hook the player will bring in the money – junk which is padded-out/repetitive or broken will not.

I’d like to live in that world – this obsession with “owning” a game is nonsense anyway, you never really did “own” a game in any legal, moral or practical sense…

• bob_d says:

@ Vinraith: Yeah, Onlive is an industry wet dream – they can develop for only one platform (whatever hardware Onlive uses), and no one gets the actual game, so no piracy (unless Onlive leaks it) and no used game sales, either.

@ trjp: I’d kind of like to see a pay-by-the-hour MMO for that reason. The design pressure now for MMOs is to pad it out to take the most time possible, but if you paid by the hour, the pressure would be to design a game that’s engaging and rewarding on an hourly basis, so no padding or repetition.

• CMaster says:

On the one hand, the world of OnLive type systems would force companies to hopefully develop games people will stick with, rather than games that can just be sold on hype and shineyness, as if you pay for time (which is the way everybody will want to go with it) then you want players to spend as much time as possible. The flip side of this is that it encourages mega-grindiness.

The big downsides of course are absolute publisher control. No more modding. No more small-scale piracy. No more easy platform for indie developers. Etc.

• Vinraith says:

@trjp

you never really did “own” a game in any legal, moral or practical sense…

Legal? Perhaps not. Practical? Absolutely. If I have a game that is DRM-free and physically backed up, the publisher can’t revoke my right to play it without literally showing up at my front door. That’s ownership in the practical sense if you ask me, as opposed to the service model you get with something like (in escalating order of lack-of-control) Steam, UbiDRM (RIP, I hope), or Onlive.

9. trjp says:

I own this on Steam and I’d play it were it not for me feeling like it has no purpose other than to scare me to death – I was a bit disappointed really, there’s really nothing BUT scares in there!!

I’m not spooked by games normally – they’re GAMES! how scary can they be? – but this does nothing BUT try to scare you.

Unlike something like Fatal Frame/Project Zero where horror is part of the plot, with this it IS the plot – it’s a sequence of scares with a bit of game thrown around them…

Just wore me down really – one section, in particular, where it was impossible to take 2 steps without something collapsing, leaping out, appearing, disappearing, turning the lights out and so on…

Subtle it’s not.

• Posid says:

Isn’t that kind of the point of a horror game though, to scare the pants off you? It’s purpose is to give you a thrilling experience where you’re running ingame while screaming like a little girl. The gameplay gets a bit stale at certain points, but the story telling is keeping me interested, still only halfway through and I can only play the game in 15 minute intervals or I might end up not sleeping for a week.

This game gets my adrenaline pumping like no other game ever has.

• Kaira- says:

Gotta agree, the second playthrough of Amnesia was rather mild, knowing most of the scares and monster spawns, so it was mostly running through yodling, quite unlike Silent Hill or Fatal Frame, which leaves a lingering sense of dread.

10. Andrige says:

That… freaking… painting…

Wallace says:

It’s a devious thing, because it’s based on your sanity, rather than being a set-piece scare. I must have been through that room a few times while I was lost, and then suddenly there it was . :'(

• Ridnarhtim says:

What/where was this? I must’ve missed it (probably too scared to take the time to look at paintings).

11. trjp says:

Fatal Frame/Project Zero – the first one on PS2 – was a masterpiece of storytelling with careful, varied and selective use of some genuinely nasty scares.

Only once in the whole game does it resort to an obvious scare (monster right behind a door), otherwise the horror is always something different such as things appearing in the background, shadows moving, sounds coming from cupboards, shuffling feet, a noose dropping, that that sort of stuff.

Amnesia is a low-budget Ghost Train to FF’s carefully crafted horror epic – all it’s shocks *BANG* something flies at you *BANG* the lights go out *BANG* the floor shakes *BANG something appears RIGHT in front of you *BANG*

The story is just a bit too stilted for my tastes too – it’s a 13-year-olds earnest take on gothic horror, characters are painted 4″ thick and then you realise you’re standing in a clearly haunted place reading long notes from someone – err wut!?

I stopped caring after a while – it was clear the objective was simply to ‘get scared’ and ‘not run out of candles’ – that’s the 4th wall torn down there then :)

8/10 for effort – 6/10 for execution really.

• Niklas says:

Strange, to me it wasnt like the way you described the game, amnesia never directly throws something in your face like dead space does.
      Did you even play it?

• Kaira- says:

Well, I gotta say that the beginning of Amnesia is pretty much the definition of “BOO YOU SCARED YET?”. Luckily the atmosphere got better towards the end with these scares getting rarer.

• trjp says:

NO, I actually didn’t play it at all Niklas – I just spend money on games and then come here to criticise them without actually playing them.

OR

Different people may see things differently – when you pass your 10th birthday, this may become more obvious – with luck ;)

I just wanted something more than BE SCARED, some deeper puzzles, more buildup and less fat in the storyline, just less “Ghost Train” all-round really… It’s not a bad game, I just thought it was a bit crude – a hammer doing the job of a screwdriver perhaps…

• trjp says:

@Kaira I should probably play it a bit more then?

I hammered it for the Potato Sack and then P2 released and I thought “enough of that being terrified nonsense” – at least there’s no complex combat system to remember eh? :)

• Kaira- says:

@trjp

Yes, I’d suggest you play it, I don’t know how much you’ve played it but I’d say that by the time you reach the prison paranoia has settled in pretty well.

• aerozol says:

Fatal Frame = Different Game
      With its own flaws too.

Vandelay says:

Really enjoyed Amnesia. I managed to play about half of it, before getting distracted by some other shiny thing, but will definitely finish it sometime. Planning on playing it once I can get the Razer Hydra (where the May pre-orders Razer?) as it was listed as an officially supported game. Motion controls should make the already excellent control scheme even more immersive.

13. itsallcrap says:

Hmm, game refuses to start up. I guess they don’t have the server capacity to honour the offer they’re making.

Customer lost.

14. Kefren says:

Does this apply to the GamersGate version too?

15. MythArcana says:

So, you hear that Valv3 and Biospam? Free DLC. It does happen, just not with your products. Good show with this news and let’s put the pigs back in the mud.

16. Wahngrok says:

“OnLive Game Service is not currently supported in your region”. Ah well, I won’t be trying out Amnesia then before diving into The Witcher 2.

Um… maybe I should have rephrased that.

17. Robin says:

I’d rather pay the developers and download it than struggle through a jerky, laggy swirl of compression artifacts, thanks all the same.

18. thebigJ_A says:

I just redownloaded the game via Steam. I don’t see any new options in the menu. I restarted Steam, thinking maybe it would download an update or something, but no.

I want more Amnesia, it’s my favorite horror game. What is this Justine thing? Where are these stories?

• thebigJ_A says:

OK, I found Justine, via a tiny button on the bottom right of the launcher, rather than in the game itself, but the stories are nowhere to be seen. Supposedly they are pdf files, but I don’t see them. There are some numbered .rar files, like the super_secret one, but the password for that doesn’t work for these.