Mod News: Excuses, Excuses

By Lewis Denby on May 18th, 2011 at 10:47 am.

Where were you all last week? I turned up and no one was here, honest! What’s that? No, I’m not crossing my fingers behind my back, and you definitely didn’t see him heading off on holiday. What nonsense. Anyway, to make up for it, here’s an extra-long edition of Mod News to cover the past two weeks. This time: Crash Bandicoot, a Warcraft III art mod, a surprising number of trailers and a bizarre remake of Deus Ex…

NEWS

The Crash Bandicoot Return mod for Crysis has been picking up a lot of attention lately. GiantBomb have a big ol’ interview with both the mod’s developer and a couple of those on the original Crash Bandicoot development team. It’s worth a read, especially to see the Crash devs’ thoughts on things: “I think [the developer] may have a serious game career ahead of him,” says Jason Rubin – but he later adds: “If you have the skill to make someone else’s game then you should make your own. Because you can never be sure about obtaining the rights to the original.” Let’s hope Naughty Dog (with whom Rubin no longer has any association) let this one run through to completion.

There’s also a video, so that’s cool.

The Prototype in Action! – Mod DB

Meanwhile, if you’re downloading the Amnesia 1.2 update through Desura, you get a couple of mods thrown in with it automatically. They are The Curse of Brewer Manor and Cannibalism, and you can check out the details from this ModDB page. I’m really looking forward to what people continue to do with Frictional’s surprisingly powerful engine.

More trailer times, with Call of Pripyat mod Return to the Shadows getting the video treatment. This is the promising total conversion for the latest Stalker game, telling an all new story in both new and familiar locations. Have a watch:

There’s also a Crysis Wars mod, Wreckage, whose developers have been kind enough to give a bit of insight into the development process this week. Specifically, here’s a look at the level scripting and cinematic work. There are also a couple of lovely new screenshots beyond that link – it’s properly professional-quality stuff, making me even more excited about this one.

Slightly more… shall we say “rustic” screenshots here, with the latest batch from Deus Ex Revision. Which, as you may remember, is a mod remaking Deus Ex in the – uh – Deus Ex engine. It adds new locations and tidies up old ones, basically, changing a few mechanical elements along the way. The screenshots are on ModDB. Here’s one of JC Denton standing a little too uncomfortably far away from the guy he’s speaking to.

Right, so. Do you remember Arcadia – Rise and Fall? The Warcraft III: Frozen Throne mod that’s about as artsy as it gets. Describes itself as “a utopian adventure in a scale of epic poetry” and all that jazz? Well, there’s a new chapter coming out, and the team is after some beta testers. Have a read of the details if you’re interested in helping out.

RELEASES

No major new releases, it would seem. But great heck, look at all these updates there have been in the last pair of weeks!

UPDATES

Men of War mod Stargate: Galaxies has reached its latest version, which adds high definition human models, a new mission, and a working multiplayer mode. The new mission added is the start of a storyline that’s going to be introduced across future updates, which is a nice idea. Plenty of bug-fixes too, it would seem. Here’s where you’ll grab it.

There’s also Duke Nukem Eternity, which has reached version… 1.3D? Well, yes, thanks to a new high-res pack that drops in some surprisingly not-shabby character models and the like. You can see the details at ModDB, from where you can also download the update.

And Company of Heroes mod Cross of Iron has reached version 1.20, bringing with it expanded doctrines for all the game’s factions, as well as some new units. Once again, all the details are on ModDB.

Or how about Half-Life 2 mod Eternal Silence, which has a new update as well? And it’s the biggest yet, say the team. There are new tutorials, new maps and a revamped soundtrack, as well as a whole bunch of minor tweaks. It’s going to “mark a new age for Eternal Silence,” says Spindoctor, one of the project leads. So that’s nice. Here’s a trailer.

Finally, how about a Battlefield 1942 mod? Eve of Destruction reaches version 2.31 just in time for its eighth anniversary. There are eight new maps, as well as new aircraft, soldier models and bug fixes to be enjoyed, and you can find the whole darn thing over at the same place as everything else.

‘Til next week…

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. frenz0rz says:

Eternal Silence looks like a fun thing. I’m most intrigued by the transition between the first person shooty on-ship action and the zoom zoom in-space action. And… wait, thats a Half Life 2 mod?!

Also, I hope to God that isnt the actual game soundtrack in the trailer there.

• TheLordHimself says:

Wasn’t that song on the Tony Hawks 2 soundtrack? Good old Powerman 5000.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

It looks ok, but it looks like it needs a fair bit of optimization though.. early days I suppose..

Also, nothing wrong with that song bud ;P

• MadTinkerer says:

Eternal Silence is an awesome mod… Well I assume it is. I have a night job, so whenever I’ve tried playing it, there’s almost no one on.

Also, the tutorial is a biiiit lacking as of several versions ago, though they might have fixed that since I last played.

But just wandering through and looking at what you can without any other players, the potential is definitely there. The classes are “like TF2 in a good way”, though the maps don’t resemble TF2 at all. I’m a little surprised there haven’t been more Source engine games based on spaceship combat, given how well it’s done in ES.

All of the HL2 mods directly hosted on Steam are worth checking out.

• CMaster says:

Eternal Silence has been out for years.
      It was fun when I tried, but suffered from the fact that ground combat was rubbish compared to space. Will have to look again to see if that has been improved.

• BwenGun says:

Eternal Silence is awesome, and no that isn’t what the soundtrack is like. The combat feels a little bit like the Star Wars Battlefront’s space battles, except that the controls for the spaceships come straight out of Freespace 2 (with the mouse anyway), whilst the battles inside the ships tend to be far more intense and interesting due to better and larger level design.

Mostly I just love being able to jump in an interceptor and hunt down enemy bombers. Or the tense few minutes when you have three enemy fighters on your tail and your boosting, strafing and jerking around desperately trying to avoid their gunfire whilst dashing for the relative safety of your capital ships.

• MD says:

I was about to comment on the Tony Hawk connection too. Fun memories!

• Pemptus says:

And so, a spaceshooty half-life 2 mod made me want to reinstall Tony Hawk 2 after 10 or so years. I love the internet.

• Felixader says:

Thos Video… Contenct from UMG… not in your country.

“Middlefinger”

• Mistabashi says:

I remember trying this mod ages ago, and it seemed really awesome save for the fact that I could never actually find a populated server to play on. Anyone know what the situation is like at the moment?

2. Tori says:

Obvious comment about… um. What was that game called? Dark Meta?

• Icarus says:

I can’t remember. It’s been so long I’ve forgotten :(

• Jonathan says:

Stygian Plateau?

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Wasn’t that a Half-Life 2 thing?

• Nallen says:

Totally lost interest now. It’s like DNF, if they finally say yes, it is actually being released I will barely muster a shrug of the shoulders.

• Jonathan says:

@Nallen

I’m more concerned that by the time it’s released it’ll look as dated as Half Life did when HL2 came out.

• phuzz says:

Every week, when I see Mod News pop up in my RSS I wander over to the BMS site to see what’s new.

The soundtrack is done, so there’s that.

There’s no way they’ll be able to live up to the hype anyway. Even if they released the gameplay equivalent of HL1 (when it first came out), with the best graphics ever seen in the source engine and sound effects that sound like angels licking your ear drums, a free complimentary copy of HL2:Ep3 and a cookie for every download people will still give them shit.

Still, I’ll download it, and I’ll almost certainly enjoy it too :)

3. Arona Daal says:

Cant watch the Video ,it “contains content from UMG,which is not available in” my country (Germany).

Btw. I found the “Complex Mod” for Homeworld 2 to be quite good , if a bit complex *g*.

• Baka says:

You should really add a hidemyass keyword exactly for those situations.
      Just go to hidemyass.com, right-click the search field and then “add keyword”.
      Use something like “hma” so that everytime UMG tries to ruin your day, you just have to insert “hma youtubeurl” in a new tab and you’re golden. Saved me from a lot of annoyed scowling over the last months.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@ Baka,

Thank you !. You da bomb etc …

4. Bingo Bango says:

Awesome/
    I love that RPS does a mod news/latest mods wrap up sort of thing. Especially since modders often work harder and longer than real devs. And for free, of course! It’s nice that you guys give them this exposure.

5. yhancik says:

I suppose it already has been discussed 2000 times, but I don’t quite see the logic of investing so much time in a Crash Bandicoot® Return mod featuring Crash Bandicoot® characters with the risk of having it C&Ded anytime.

I don’t think it would make the projects significantly more difficult to simply have your own characters (although I realise character design takes time), and call it Blast Desperadolt instead. No?

It would still be clear that it’s a Crash Bandicoot tribute, but at least it’s far less attackable by Copyright Holders.

6. Schmung says:

Firearms Source has had a site redesign and has posted a major update with new weapons, details of ironsights and other stuff. Seems worth mentioning..

7. poop says:

there are mod tools for amnesia? has anyone tried making a thief style game in it?