Crysis 2 Retaliation Map Pack Available

By Quintin Smith on May 18th, 2011 at 9:35 am.

You didn't hear it from me, but the Car Wot Goes Fast devs are working on Men Wot Go Bang.

Level up! Four of them, actually. The Retaliation map pack for Crysis 2 is now available for $10, say EA, presumably for purchase within the game because I certainly can’t see anywhere on the internet to buy it. The four maps, “Park Avenue” “Transit” “Shipyard” and “Compound” all look like they’d make a nice home for an excitable nano-warrior, and you can see all four in the following trailer, which is actually as much of an ad for the new maps as it is for Crysis 2 multiplayer in general. Look at those big men frolic!

I like 1:14. “I GOT HIM!” You sure did, nano-man. You sure did. Ah, they grow up so fast.

__________________

« | »

1. Flappybat says:

On the positive side, Crysis 2 will get an editor eventually. MechWarrior: Living Legends is amazing, fingers crossed it gets ported to the new engine.

• PatrickSwayze says:

I asked some of the guys on the MWLL dev team if they would consider porting to the new engine when playing with them…

NO was the answer.

All aboard the What A Shame Train…

• Rii says:

What would be the benefit?

• subedii says:

Yeah I’m not sure I see what purpose it would serve to expecnd the MASSIVE amount of time and effort necessary to move it over to CryEngine 3.

It’s not like they’d be getting improved visuals or anything.

• Joshua says:

They do, however, get an massive increase in performance.

• subedii says:

Do they?

I thought most of the improvements in performance between Crysis 1 and 2 were largely down to much smaller urban levels, and shifting everything over to the Crysis 1 equivalent of DX9 “high” settings. Not to mention getting rid of proper MSAA and instead implementing “Temporal” Anti-Aliasing, which whilst it doesn’t have a real performance hit, just turns everything into a fuzzy mess.

Honestly if they ported the game over to CE3, I don’t believe they’d actually see much if any of a performance increase. And if they stuck with things like the DX9 motion blur and temporal AA, the game would probably actually look worse in terms of its fidelity.

• Luomu says:

Crytek is going to release a free version of CE3 á la UDK eventually, so the benefit would have been a standalone MWLL.

Except they said they will not switch.

• subedii says:

They’re still using Crysis assets, with or without the standalone engine. As such their options are to either continue with MW:LL being a mod to Crysis, or as far as I’m aware, have to re-make all of those for themselves, from scratch.

Their saying they don’t want to expend a tonne more effort to recreate all of those assets themselves, AND port everything over to a new engine, is completely understandable.

OK seriously: How much additional effort are you guys expecting them to expend on a free mod that’s already been largely completed? They’ve formed a studio now, and to be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re currently busy with either prototyping or working on an actual product to sell.

2. Nim says:

I remember when Map packs used to be free. Good times.

3. Nallen says:

I did enjoy this, but I heard it’s bug/cheat ridden. Maybe I’ll go take another look. Anyone know what the current state of affairs is?

Also, confirmed, MWLL is awesome.

• abhishek says:

There are bugs, but in my experience they are mostly outside the actual game i.e. with the login system, unlocks etc. From a gameplay perspective, it seems fairly solid. Not sure about cheaters because I’ve never run into one, but then my experience with cheaters is somehow always less than what most people say in any game. The one downside is that the population must be miserably low now… everyone has inevitably moved on to newer games or gone back to old favorites.

• subedii says:

Well if the Steam stats are anything to go by (and to be fair, they aren’t an exact indicator here), Crysis 2′s player numbers have already dropped to around the level of Crysis 1. Which can’t be a good sign.

4. Ba5 says:

Anyone else quit the game after 2 days? A boring pile of shit that doesn’t come close to the original. More CoD than Crysis 1.

5. DevilSShadoW says:

I know what I’m saying is absurd but…
    Why couldn’t they just put these out for free. I mean, the editor is on the way so any map related selling will become redundant.

6. rocketman71 says:

$10???

A Map Pack??????

For Crysis 2???????????

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Thanks for the laugh, Cevat.

7. Quasar says:

It seems to be coming out on the 5th of the 17th. That’s a long way away.

Plenty of time to save up $10.

8. edit says:

Surely selling extra maps just divides the community, which can’t be a good step towards maintaining a strong player-base. Valve have the right idea.. People buy your game so you put time and effort into giving those people a lot of value (even free, extra value) for their purchases. They will probably keep playing for a while, and come back and buy more of your games. They may even love you.

Oh well. I’ll probably never play Crysis 2 anyway.

• subedii says:

Modern Warfare. Modern Warfare Modern Warfare Modern Warfare.

Whatever decisions made with Crysis 2, they just need to be looked at in the context of Modern Warfare and how everyone since has been trying to imitate its success and “beat” Activision at its own own franchise (EA now on try number 3, first with Medal of Honour, then Crysis 2, and now with the Singleplayer of Battlefield 3. Each time saying that this will be a Call of Duty “Challenger”).

CoD’s map packs have been a ginormous money spinner post release. And so much like with everything else about that freaking game, people are intent on copying the model wholesale without realising that CoD is pretty much a freak occurrence. It gained uber popularity across the board and became a record breaker, but simply aping it in everything it does isn’t going to result in that same success, no matter how much you want it to.

I agree that keeping the multiplayer community undivided is really important (which is why I’ve always been a fan of how Relic does things as well), but when you’ve got a 13 million copy selling game, that’s no longer as big of a concern. For most other games, they’ll never sell that many copies, and splitting the playerbase is going to have a negative effect on multiplayer numbers.

I can’t imagine this is going to be good for Crysis 2′s multiplayer numbers, as tenuous as they would appear to be at the moment.

9. AlabasterSlim says:

I really enjoy Crysis 2′s multiplayer, but with Brink out, I may not jump on these maps. It depends how often I’m gated from joining servers that have them. If I’m still really into the game in a week or two and constantly get rebuffed from a server I may pick the map pack up.

10. Alistair says:

I might give these a try, but they literally only seem available from Mycrysis.com and I can’t be bothered setting up another account, or working out if I already have one etc etc.

11. Mac says:

How about FUCK OFF EA ???

12. MythArcana says:

Do people actually pay EA $2.50 per map? I’m I getting this right? I guess this is why I don’t buy EA products…or at least reason number 1,298.

13. wristcontrol says:

LOL, $10 for four maps. Not gonna happen.

Comment on this story