Duelling Wizards: MoaCube Reveals ArcMagi

By John Walker on May 18th, 2011 at 10:27 am.

This is how polite wizards fight.

A wizard battle is all too often represented as a simple affair. And the wizard community is getting increasingly upset at their representation in games. “It’s not just about hitting 1 and 2!” says a statement from Wizard Corp. So they should be very pleased to find out about ArcMagi – the sequel to indie dev MoaCube’s original wizardry battling, Magi. There’s a video below to prove it.

MoaCube is a one-man studio, formed by Tom Grochowiak, who was previously part of Codeminion (StoneLoops!, Saqqarah). After the company “re-formed”, Grochowiak went in his own direction.

MoaCube’s original Magi is currently available in a fund-raising sale, in order to gather the necessary cash to create the sequel/remake that is ArcMagi. As well as a second game, Cinders, that’s a bit further off.

ArcMagi at first glance looks like a Mortal Kombat-esque game, but that first glance is about as wrong as a glance can be. The classic layout is there, but this is a strategy game in which you must carefully select spells and abilities to compete against another doing exactly the same.

If you want to get a feel for the way the game plays, you can check out the demo of the original game, or buy it for $5. (Or you can choose to buy it for $25 or $50, and gain various extras.)

Meanwhile Cinders, a visual novel game that puts the “novelty” into “novel” (wait, no) by not being Manga, is aiming for a Summer release. It seems intriguing to me for its promise of choices that will make players “question the somehow naive and banal morals of the classic story.” We should hopefully have more news about that soon.

, , , , , , .

1. DevilSShadoW says:

This looks rather interesting. Never heard of the man making it or of the game itself but as a first impression I can say I’m intrigued.

• Berzee says:

At least try the demo of the original! It’s strangely awesome :D I ended up staying up 4 hours past my self-imposed bedtime just playing the demo over and over again…

it’s sweet =)

Harlander says:

I remember being quite interested in Magi when it was out. It could have done with a multiplayer mode, though.

3. salejemaster says:

wow I remember when I first heard about teh sequel, seems like it was years ago.

4. Jumwa says:

Mortal Kombat-esque indeed. Despite what I read and saw, I can’t help but get fighting game vibes off it regardless. Which is not a good thing; those have always felt like an exam to me.

5. Vexing Vision says:

I actually own Magi. It’s a nice casual title with an interesting concept but poor/unfair AI.

This one looks very nice, too. Going to keep an eye on it, hoping it will have multiplayer at one point!

6. amandachen says:

Oh, ArcMagi looks great. It has the same interface as Guild Wars.

And my favourite wizard battle game? Duel: The Mage Wars.

Harlander says:

Mine’s got to be Martin Brownlow’s Atari ST port of Chaos.

Awesome, awesome party game, especially with its ridiculous library of samples from various British comedies.

7. Vexing Vision says:

This reminds me, whatever became of Firetop Mountain? Man, that was awesome.

• Quirk says:

It got largely replaced by RavenBlack’s Warlocks, but the paralysis implementation there was a little too strong and ultimately the best players found that paralysis was a pretty heavy component of optimal play after years of disdaining it, which drove a fair number of them away. It’s still around, but not as widely frequented as it was.

8. getter77 says:

In for the $6 option as my gaming fund is otherwise spoken for on Dungeons of Dredmor and A Valley Without Wind, especially for the caveat that it garners you a 50% discount on ArcMagi when it hits—should perhaps mention that?

9. The_Player says:

Good god! Spent lots of hours with demo version, and here we’ve got adequate price, finally. Bought it.

10. karry says:

“the sequel to indie dev MoaCubeā€™s original wizardry battling, Magi. ”

Dude doesnt know how to name his games properly. Does he have any idea how many hits i will get if i ever try googling “Magi” ? ArcMagi is a step in the right direction.

Chaz says:

I remember there was a kung fu game similar to this on the Amiga, but a turn based one where you clicked on and queued up moves. I think they tried to go for something similar with the Matrix Online, but I found that a bit too random and confusing.

12. Fumarole says: