Daggerdale Gathers Its Weapons

By Jim Rossignol on May 19th, 2011 at 4:18 pm.

Okay, I know exactly who this loot-promoting trailer for forthcoming D&D hack ‘n’ slasher Daggerdale is aimed at. It’s for the action-RPG player who is basically in it for the haul. You know who you are. Hell, I know who some of you are. You just want that big sword, don’t you? And a bigger one? And shinier? You filthy beast.

, .

1. sneetch says:

At 40 seconds: I don’t care how evil or depraved a creature is, nothing deserves that many arrows in the crotch.

• magnus says:

An arrow in the crotch? I always reserve that punishment for Sprigans,hopefully they’ll be back in Skyrim.

• Davie says:

That’s not nearly enough. Spriggans deserve nothing less than Arrows of Immolation to the crotch. And your horse kicking their stupid bear to death.

• frypiggy says:

I think this is my favorite response of 2011 so far. Well played.

2. Jumwa says:

The gameplay looks rather stilted and cumbersome judging by the video. The character movements across the ground are kind of jerky and not fluid. As if it plays like a turn-based RPG that doesn’t care for precise control of your character.

3. Mr_Hands says:

I must admit that my desire for a bigger/shinier sword has less to do with loot lust on my part, and everything to do with the inexplicable erotic thrill I receive when referred to as a filthy beast.

4. Freud says:

Hopefully you can adjust the camera angle. Looks too low and too close in this footage.

5. HexagonalBolts says:

This is looking rather dated?

6. Caleb367 says:

For a split second I thought that was gonna be a remake of Daggerfall.
    Pity.

7. Kdansky says:

Why does this have a “Dungeons and Dragons” on it? It has nothing to do with any version of those rules, as far as I can tell.

I cannot see anything that would make me want to buy this. At all. I found out that if you just want higher stats on your items, you can open Paint, make yourself a really nice “Awesomeness +2″ sticker and glue it on your real items.

• drplote says:

That craptastic movie with Jeremy Irons didn’t have anything to do with the rules either, but they still made it!

• Kdansky says:

At least we got a really funny Nostalgic Critic episode out of that. Thanks for reminding me, by the way. I didn’t need that many brain cells anyway!

8. McDan says:

Want if it’s a good D&D-alike.

9. Hmm-Hmm. says:

It looks more like one of those generic fantasy MMOs than a Diablo-type game, but we’ll have to wait and see what the gameplay is really like.

10. Mr_Hands says:

The Witcher 2 will be better.

11. outoffeelinsobad says:

Not on Steam?

12. Zyrxil says:

Wow, that looks quite terrible.

13. Mitch says:

They just don’t get it… we wan’t CRPGs not that Action-RPG shit. Come on, it’s D&D!

14. Nicholas Totton says:

I will never understand the marketing behind this dam game. They never show in the trailer that it’s coming out for PC, and even if you go to the website they don’t say anywhere there that it’s coming out ether. Yet it supposedly is. Why the hell do developers do this?

• magnus says:

I just noticed an ‘attention grabbing’ square with the words PC software in it in the bottom and a LOL if they had their way too I bet.

15. MythArcana says:

There seems to be a rash of games coming out that all look identical with some generic engine using bad global lighting and the same tired particle effects. This one simply waves the D&D flag in the mud for the 892th time in the past 20 years and makes a mockery of the PC platform with its generic console gameplay. Besides, Torchlight 2 is right around the corner…

16. sebmojo says:

Such a pity – the 4th edition rule set seems to have ‘fantasy XCOM’ written all over it, and they go and make a generic hackerslasher.

Even worse, they’ve left behind a lot of the iconic game-translateable spells like fireball and whatnot with the edition shift, so it’ll feel even more generic.

Well I mean we’ll see, but expectations… left side of the dial.

• DK says:

Hell yeah, 4th Edition basically says “I’m a ruleset a monkey could make into a videogame. Wink Wink Nudge Nudge saynomore”.
      And what are they doing? They’re throwing out the rules and are making a hack and slash. I’ll be so glad when Atari finally bites the dust and someone else gets to have a go at the DnD license.

• Stick says:

Given how many class tricks concern shifting self or opponent between squares, suspect problem is: 4th Ed is monkey-wrenchable into turn-based, grid-movement RPG. Which, fondly remembered and rabidly clamoured for as it may be, does not appear desirable to majority of developers. Cue lamentations.

17. Davie says:

Anyone who kept up with D&D games on the Ecksbawks will realize this is basically Dark Alliance from an over-the-shoulder perspective. Atari, I am disappoint.

Honestly, there’s really no need for another Dungeons and Dragons game at all. I want Dark Heresy: The Video Game. Then, even if the gameplay was pathetically bare-bones (which it would have no reason to be) you’d still at least be left with an interesting setting.

18. rhade2k@gmail.com says:

This frankly looks like a giant pile of meh.

19. gwathdring says:

Well that looks a bit dull.

Foosnark says:

I don’t usually go in for saying “that looks like a 10 year old game,” but that looks like a 10 year old game.

21. phylum sinter says:

Wait so it’s digital on console, but boxed for PC? who’s responsible for this madness!?

I don’t care if it looks old, i think it looks fun. Because i’m one of those types of gamers.

Fun fact: i think Diablo 3 looks old too, and that won’t be here for another year.