What? Skyrim Will Have “Unlimited Dragons”

By Quintin Smith on May 19th, 2011 at 10:11 am.

Sounds like it might 'drag on' a bit.

In a story that makes for one of the most double-take inducing headlines of 2011, Skyrim director Todd Howard last week told Norweigan outlet Gamer.no that Skyrim will have “an unlimited number of dragons”. You heard me right, people. Infinity dragons. If you were worrying about running out of dragons in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, well, don’t do that.

You can read parts one and two of the translated interview here and here. But wait! It gets better.

In PC Gamer’s own coverage of this news, they cooly added that the dragons will “be dynamically generated, and will be able to attack you almost anywhere.” Holy shit!

Here’s a dragon I have a particularly fond memory of fighting. Thaxll’ssillyia from Baldur’s Gate 2. What a girl. But seriously, one of her was enough.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Corrupt_Tiki says:

I love dragons, I wish I could own one. Would much rather have that as a giant dispenser of justice than a gun.

2. papabear says:

I am going to make a game and it will have unlimited pokemans.

3. Ralud says:

Dragons are fun.

4. Raniz says:

Any game I produce shall feature random encounters in the main menu!

5. Okami says:

So they’re basically like Cliff Racers?

6. MrMud says:

Dragon inflation is something to be careful with and makes it this sound like Skyrim is the 1930s equivalent of Germany for inflation rates.

7. Choca says:

Firkraag > Thaxll’ssillyia

8. Lars Westergren says:

Uh. “This video contains content from SME, who have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds”.

I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s “The internet contains content from SME…”

• patricij says:

I wish I could see what you wrote, but it says your post contains content from SME…

• ArcaneSaint says:

I can’t see it either, well I guess I’l have to pirate the game [from that movie, not Skyrim, I never pirate Bethesda games] so I can get to that point to see what happens in that movie which copyright laws are preventing me to watch. It’s a harsh world.

9. Keilnoth says:

Baldur’s Gate II video is blocked in my country. It probably contains spoilers the editor doesn’t want on the internet. Boo booo !

10. The Dark One says:

Infinity dragons, go ‘head.

11. tomeoftom says:

Somebody signal Horace!

12. Heliocentric says:

I hate when you are in subway and you go to refill your dragons and they say sorry, no refills, bastards.

13. amishmonster says:

I wonder if they’re using Speed Dragon for the procedural generation.

14. Gap Gen says:

So my dream of driving the accursed species from the land and making their monstrous line extinct is but a pipe dream? Zounds.

15. sonofsanta says:

Clearly, then, better than Witcher 2, which has only had one dragon I’ve seen so far.

And as said above, after the inevitable first non-dragon-related mod, Skyrim will have infinitely more boobies as well.

16. Ergates_Antius says:

So, like Cliff Racers then, except larger and scalier and more fire-breatingy.

We all remember how much fun cliff racers were.

17. DeepSleeper says:

I can imagine Todd Howard all like “People complained when every game since Daggerfall HAD no dragons? Well, we’re giving them ALL the dragons! All of them! At the same time! So as I pray, UNLIMITED DRAGON WORKS!”

And then he cackles madly and eats a muffin.

18. jti says:

I always wanted a game based on cliff racers!

19. rivalin says:

Ah memories of Baldur’s Gate, remember everyone, watch that video and then repeat after me

“Bioware Games have not been dumbed down”
    “Bioware games have not been dumbed down”

20. The Hammer says:

“We’ll be facing off against infinity dragons who can attack from almost anywhere? Can they attack while we’re sleeping? While we’re talking to another NPC? In the main menu? Can they follow you onto the desktop after you’ve quit? What if they escape from the PC? I’m currently having some trouble with some of the fights in The Witcher 2, but Bethesda have put my difficulty woes in perspective.”

21. obvioustroll says:

Mechanic spoiler. Sad face.

I now know I can never kill all the dragons, it’s programmed that way.

22. Greg Wild says:

Clearly they haven’t learned their lesson from Morrowind’s cliff racers.

• McDan says:

RPS comment threads are always (usually, half the time) excellent. I think that’s what half the charm of the site comes from, the friendly atmosphere and people who visit it.

NO NOT YOU! YOU FILTHY BEGGAR! GET OUT OF THE HOUSE! …Ahem.

23. Toffeli says:

I want to be a dragon!

24. Will Tomas says:

I was going to make a Horace joke, but others beat me to it…

25. Mr Chug says:

Ugh, endless dragon fights could really drag on after a while.

26. Jorum says:

The best solution to dragons in BG2 is doom-doom-doom-chromatic orb (ideally spell-sequenced). Throw in a cloudkill as well for good luck.
    Fairly good chance of 1-shotting them before they even get started.

27. Colthor says:

If it also has unlimited mammoths then, well – unlimited dragons *and* unlimited wooly mammoths. How can it fail to be the greatest game there has ever been?

A Howard quote from the PCG story:
    “One of our designers actually put in a random event I encountered, where I ended up being chased by three dragons and I thought “who the hell did this? I felt like Frodo in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. So I asked him to remove it”

I hope they didn’t remove it, because that sounds brilliant. I want to play that.

Apparently you can talk to the dragons, so that’s pretty great too. I wonder if you can talk to the mammoths?

28. PickyBugger says:

I’m starting to get the distinct feeling that the game is going to revolve around repeatedly and repetitively killing Dragons much like in Oblivion with the Oblivion Gates and those funny orbs. Here’s hoping I’m wrong…

• Wilson says:

Haha, yeah, that would be bad. And then if you can’t be bothered, you end up giving an epic speech to like four guys. Good times…

• The Hammer says:

At least you wouldn’t have to forsake the pretty wilderness for, uh, uninspired reds and blacks!

• Bluebreaker says:

dragons = oblivion gates?

• PickyBugger says:

No of course not but the Oblivion gates were a repetitive part of the game and the Dragons appear to be so as well. You have to kill the Dragons to absorb their power much like the Oblivion gates and collecting the orbs.

Considering the amount of press that the Dragons are getting I find it hard to believe that they won’t be a major part of the main quest.

29. Worldbeing says:

From the translated interview:
    “- How are sword fighting? Can you choose to swing your sword to the left or right?

- Yes, you choose the direction with the control stick. It is also possible to perform different combo attacks, jump back and stuff.”

I don’t have a control stick, you stupid dev. I’m a PC gamer, dammit.

30. RandomGunnerGirl says:

Unlimited overgrown cliff racers.

Joy.

31. Towercap says:

I can see the groundbreaking interactions between the various NPCs.

“I saw a dragon the other day! Disgusting creatures. I steer clear of them. Nasty things, but I hear the meat’s not too bad.”

Wait, never mind.

32. Ondrej says:

I don’t know about that. I think that if there were finite number of dragons, it would force player to cherish one instead of just going/waiting for another one to show up after the old one dies of old age or mutilation.

33. Holysheep says:

Dragons are the new cliffracers !!! 1
    Seriously, unlimited dragons, unlimited boots!

34. DeanLearner says:

That’s great and all but will they have infinite CRIMINAL SCUM!

35. Althilor says:

As long as they don’t torch my house. Coming home after a long days adventuring to find my home burnt to ash…well, that just ain’t kosha.

36. _Jackalope_ says:

Is this a sign that it will be open ended? Once the main quest is complete we’re free to hunt dragons until the end of time? I’m hoping dragons have the same emotional impact as fighting a Big Daddy does. I felt awful after killing those big lovely fellas.

• Jahkaivah says:

Or killing a colossus in Shadow of the Colossus.

…actually that is a game I would love to have infinite dragons on, or infinite colossi for that matter.

37. JimK. says:

As long as they do not turn out to be like Deathclaws in fallout 3 i’m okay with infinite dragons.

Those Stupid deathclaws were always spawning when i fast travel to settlements and then they went all beserk on my Questgivers >.<.

Please Bethasda it's okay to have random spawning dragons, but either not let them spawn near my precious NPCs or make sure NPCs are strong enough to actually protect themself against spawning critters like deathclaws and dragons.

38. tomeoftom says:

This thread has made me really wish for a “like” button, or something worded in a less sterile manner.

39. Teddy Leach says:

I really don’t want to be that guy, but I’ll fill in for him until he gets here. In the lore, aren’t dragons meant to be rare?

Great, now I’m waiting for someone to make a joke about how you cook them…

40. mollemannen says:

woooaw unlimited? really? i mean 100 would have been great but unlimited is just to much.

seriously though what else is there except dragons?

41. Iskariot says:

I hope it won’t be dragon’s who ignore everything else and attack only the player from everywhere. That would make for some horrible immersion breaking gameplay.

42. Noc says:

Marketing is a funny thing: they say “unlimited,” and I just hear “respawning.”

Like, you’re never going to end up in the Dragon Dimension, which is nothing but dragons as far as the eye can see. You’re not going to find the world perched upon the back of a dragon, which in turn stands on the back of another, larger dragon, and then when you jump off the edge it turns out it’s dragons all the way down.

Nope. What’ll happens is that you’ll go somewhere and kill a dragon, and the next time you pass through the dragon’ll be back! Sort of like how ever Mega Man game has “unlimited enemies” for you if you backtrack.

43. spongthe1st says:

Sounds very much like Oblivion gates in being tied to the main quest – infinite random spawn until you complete the main quest, then probably no more dragons.

Not sure what I think of this, other gameplay elements are of greater importance to me though.

44. jack4cc says:

Witcher 2 had one dragon. One. It was enough.

45. sinister agent says:

I shall name this phenomenon “Dawn of the Infinigons”.

46. Arglebargle says:

For guys who are supposed to be Ubar Game Designers, they sure know how to lay some eggs.

‘Hey, the most important foe in our game. We’ll make them unscripted and continuous, that will really make them special, just like those demon castles in the Big O!’

There’s a reason that I have not bought a Bethesda game since Oblivion. And even if I fall to the dark side, I will not do it opening day, only at the very low discount price, much later on.

47. Wixard says:

Unlimited Drakkens? As in the mid 90′s smash (not so) RPG hit Drakken order of the flame?

They should just have added unlimited horse armor.

48. JerreyRough says:

I ride dragons now. Dragons are cool.

49. Archer says:

I am the bone of my wings
    Scales are my body and fire is my breath
    I have created over a thousand dragons
    Unknown to Soultrap, Nor known to Blight
    Have withstood fatigue to create many dragons
    Yet, those claws will never hold anything
    So as I fly, UNLIMITED DRAGON WORKS