The RPS Bargain Bucket: Anti-Money Solution

By Lewie Procter on May 21st, 2011 at 1:19 pm.

Looking to part ways with a bit o’ cash in exchange for some cheap games? Why not throw your coins into the Bargain Bucket, and see what leaps back out at you. For cheap games every day of the week, SavyGamer‘s got you covered. Read on for this week’s best digital discounts.

EVE Online: Incursion – £3.74/€4.99/$4.99
Quite possibly one of the more intimidating of the MMOs. Every time I hear about some of the stuff that goes down in EVE, I want to both run a mile and immediately get a subscription. Quinns sat down for a chat with head goon, The Mittani, last month, where he dropped such nuggets as these:

One of the reasons we make jokes about Eve being a bad game, or a spreadsheet or what have you, is that it lacks immersion. It’s just talking space ships. And most of the time you’re so zoomed out because of the lag that you don’t even see your space ship. It’s just a little bracket fighting another bunch of brackets, and the overview is a spreadsheet, and then your targeting reticule’s a bracket.
I would like Eve to be a better game. Eve has always been a vision, an idea of a universe, that’s always been poorly realised through the medium of a game client. I almost never log on to Eve Online itself because I run a spy network. For me, Eve Online is talking to people in a Jabber client.

The game so interesting that it doesn’t matter how boring it is. Hmmm.

Swords and Soldiers HD – £3.74/€4.99/$4.99
Sidescrolling 2D strategy fun from Dutch studio Ronimo Games. This is wot Alec thought of it:

Mechanically-speaking, it’s onto something. Taking away the direct unit control doesn’t simplify things so much as unhinge them, with your soldiers’ autopiloted stupidity forming part of the strategy. For instance, the teleporting Chinese monkey can and will leap a few feet behind an opposing force, who then don’t turn around even though they can blatantly see the hairy little bastard’s right there. So you’re required to make your next move about getting some sort anti-monkey solution out there as quickly as possible, rather than saving up for whatever it was you were saving up for.

More here.

Just Cause 2 – £5.49/€7.49/$7.49
Registers on Steam.
It’s been a while since we’ve had a sale on this. This has been cheaper before, but not by much. A jaw-dropping symphony of open world man shooting, sky diving and making explosions happen, Just Cause 2 is more than a little bit special. The physics is more like something out of an action movie than the real world, as you use the grappling hook to get around lightening fast, and switch vehicles at high speed. Find John’s WIT here, and more RPS coverage here. Demo here. Warning: Requires DX10, therefore Vista or Windows 7.

Magicka – £3.59/something similar in other currencies.
Apply coupon “SURVEY2010″. Registers on Steam.
Is this a change in policy from Impulse since the Gamestop acquisition? Only I don’t remember them having sold Steamworks games before now. Perhaps they have been doing it for a while, and I was too busy looking at the price tags to notice. Magicka, that game what started out looking like ridiculously silly fun, but then turned out to be somewhat broken, then went insane in the most brilliant way possible. I had a few problems with it back at launch, but I’m reinstalling it now, and hopefully everything will be fine.
The DLC/Expansion are also discounted:
Wizard Survival Kit DLC Pack – 59p/something similar in other currencies. (or 53p if bought with anything else).
Magicka: Vietnam – £3.14/something similar in other currencies.

Deal of the week
Machinarium, Lume, The Tiny Bang Story, Outpost Kaloki & Cloning Clyde – £12.95/€14.85/$19.95
Five indie games for ~£2.50 each is rather decent deal, especially when one of them is the lovely Machinarium, and two are recent releases which both charmed John’s socks off. Of The Tiny Bang Story, he said:

The work of two Russian developers, Colibri Games, this is just utterly lovely. It’s also smart. Things are hidden well, and never unfairly. Real thought has gone into the placing of every item. And the screens are just packed with things to explore, doors to open, machines to operate, and so on. It’s a pleasure to explore them.

And of Lume:

The set for the game is completely handmade, crafted out of paper and cardboard. It’s then been wired up like a school project, with little dolls house bulbs. And then it’s been filmed. So far, so The Dream Machine. But the crucial difference here is how it’s filmed. Moving from one area to another initiates a camera movement. Which is literally a camera movement. The guy holding the camera moves it over to the next area. And the effect is breathtaking.

Careful with this pack, you run the risk of overdosing on loveliness. Anyone played Outpost Kaloki or Cloning Clyde?

Also of note:
Plain Sight – £1.99/€2.49/$2.49 (Or £1.50/€1.88/$1.88 each for a 4 Pack).
30-50% off Arcen Games
50% off all Positech games at Direct2Drive UK/USA.
Men of War – £4.49/something similar in other currencies. Apply coupon “SURVEY2010″.
Anuman Promo at GOG.

Head to SavyGamer.co.uk for updates on what games are cheap throughout the week.

__________________

« | »

1. Tatagigi says:

I think the Arcen sale deserves more visibility, AI War is really awesome !

• Unaco says:

This. Arcen games are a fantastic company (if you say his name three times Chris Park will probably come to these comments and be lovely). AI War is a fantastic game (don’t let the RTS label put you off, pick up the demo, give it a shot, be dazzled by the scope and possibilities). Their Children of Neinzul expansion is a fantastic idea (one mini expansion, all proceeds going to Childs Play charity). To pick up AI War and the 3 expansions for £13/$20 is one hell of a good bargain.

I’ve also heard Tidalis is quite good as well.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Second/Third everything these chaps say about Arcen Games & AI War. Truly spectacular games from some really excellent developers. The level of support they give their games & community is just mental when you compare it even to other indie dev’s.

Their serials register on Steam too in case anyone was curious.

• Lewie Procter says:

I did already give them deal of the week on my Eurogamer thing. Can’t give them all the limelight.

• Lightbulb says:

Of course you can!

Everyone should buy AI War is fantastic. :)

• mlaskus says:

I think everyone should buy AI War at least a few times!
      I will only get satisfied if it joins Portal in being the game that no one wants in the Kindness Club because everyone already has it.

• dadioflex says:

I bought AI War. It’s an impenetrable mess of a game, but yeah if that’s what you like then go for it. It’s the sort of game that forces gamers into the “Gamer” ghetto. I keep hearing that the studio is on the verge of folding. But no money shot yet. Frustrating. Nobody at RPS is still playing AI War. Why? It’s not a good game. They like the developers, they’ve shared a drink with them. But good blokes do not equal good games.

If AI War was worth playing, we’d be playing. There’s no conspiracy. It’s an awful game, like the Tribes games before they sold out. It has a niche, it doesn’t have an audience.

Yeah, I find it difficult to understand, difficult and difficult to appreciate. That’s my fault, right? I just want to play a game, not change my lifestyle. If you think I’m a wuss for bopping off the windshield of the difficulty curve, then yeah, you’re right. Well done! I’m a wuss and their game is sinking and they’re begging every other month for help. I lost about twenty bucks, they’re throwing away their lives. Whoop! I win. It feels so sweet.

• x4000 says:

Thanks for the kind words Tatagigi, Unaco, Malibu Stacey, Lewie, Lightbulb, and mlaskus (whew). It really means a lot, and I’m greally grateful for the exposure for the game and that folks are enjoying it so well.

dadioflex — I get that the game is not your cup of tea, and that’s fine. But a few things: first, I’ve never had drinks with the chaps at RPS, or met them. There’s no buddy system here. They like games or don’t, and talk about the ones they do like; I can attest to that. I’ve never met any of the other AI War players, either, as I’ve never gone to a gaming conference or convention of any kind. The people that know me know me from forums, threads like this, and various interviews.

Secondly, while we had a rough patch last September and were worried we might have to fold if things progressed as they had been that summer, things quickly turned around and by October we were back on track. By Feburary, we were in the strongest financial position we’d been in in a while. There is risk with any small business, but we’re actually in a pretty good spot despite not sitting on bags of money like Mojang or whatever.

Lastly, we provide extensive, extensive demos of our games — you can play the all the tutorials, and then 3 hours of as many campaigns as you like. There’s no reason to ever be out any money based on buying something from us sight-unseen. We’ve sold over 50,000 copies of AI War and its various expansions at this stage, and have a pretty sizable community of hardcore fans in our forums (about 300k monthly hits during the busy times to the forums alone).

My point is, there’s not a particular reason to bash us, and I’m not going to bother getting offended about the fact that you are. The game is complex: yes. It’s for people that are bored of bog-standard RTS/4X games. It’s also somewhat hard, but the difficulty ranges from 1-10, so there’s something for everyone. Is the game a “lifestyle choice?” Of course. Like Civlization, like Sim City, like Dwarf Fortress. Sometimes, that’s what people are looking for.

For our part, we’ve carved out a niche for ourselves serving such folks (as we are such folks ourselves), and that’s great for us and them. The fact that you didn’t want to go through the difficulty curve doesn’t make you dense or stupid; it just makes you not part of the target audience. You have other things you’d rather be doing, and that’s cool. There’s lots of games I feel the same way about, but I don’t hate their creators and hope they’ll go out of business.

Anywho — thanks all for the support of the sale and our company and everything. :)

Chris

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Please don’t respond to dadioflex. He’s drunk again.

2. Bob Moron says:

Is this Daikatana? Why yes my good sir. Yes it is.

3. James G says:

There’s also the (UK only) Dixons Downloads launch deal, sign up for free games:
    Unfortunately pack one, which would probably be the more popular pack here, has sold out, but pack 2 is still available:
    Contains the following games:
    Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing – Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – SEGA MegaDrive Collection 1 UK – Sonic the Hedgehog

• 8-bit says:

I think the witcher 2 for 25 quid is a more notable deal than the megadrive ports even if they are free, I certainly haven’t seen it available for download cheaper.

• Vandelay says:

Just went for this, although I too would have prefered the other pack (only for Condemned though, as I have Alpha Protocol and Medieval 2.)

Anyone else finding the downloads to be exceptionally slow? It’s fine for the collection, Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, but trying to download the All-Stars Racing game and it is saying it will take 40 hours! Seeing as I downloaded Mass Effect 2 the other day in about an hour, that doesn’t sound like my connection at fault.

• James G says:

Connection speed is odd, I got a fantastic 3.5 Mbit/s speed for Medieval TW (for comparison I usually max out at around 1 for Steam, and have a theoretical maximum of 7.7Mbit/s), but a friend downloading at exactly the same time, with a connection that generally works better, was getting sub-dial-up speeds.

4. Fwiffo says:

I’d like to mention to anyone that doesn’t check regularly that Steam have introduced a ‘Daily deal’ this week. It seems to focus on the older and the indie titles out there. It changes title every day at 18:05 BST. Right now it’s Sniper: Ghost Warrior for 75% off.

Maybe it’ll have something you’ve been vaguely interested in but never gets a focus in Steam sales.

5. Xocrates says:

“Is this a change in policy from Impulse since the Gamestop acquisition?”

It is. They flat out refused to sell Steamworks games before. Magicka itself only got on Impulse after the acquisition despite being out for some time prior.

6. DSDan says:

Syberia I and II got added to Steam. I’ve played Syberia I, which I liked but had some problems with the control scheme/movement speed. Is Syberia II better or worse? Worth getting?

• Xocrates says:

Syberia I and II are on sale on GOG for cheaper than Steam.

Regarding the games, Syberia II feels a lot more like the second half of Syberia as opposed to a full blown sequel as visuals and gameplay are unchanged, so don’t expect improvements on that.

Plotwise I felt the original is better, but the second one is a bit harder (which given how easy the first is, this isn’t a bad thing) and with less phone calls soap opera.

If you liked the first, I would recommend you get the second, if only to get the full story. Either way they’re both good adventure games and worth the price of admission regardless.

• Kaira- says:

They are also available on GOG, 4.99€ each. If you like adventure games, I’d say you should get them.

• Fede says:

Syberia is also often discounted on GamersGate, so you could wait for a GOG or GamersGate sale if you’re not in a hurry.

• malkav11 says:

Worse. I found both Syberias rather underwhelming in the face of The Longest Journey (to which they received frequent comparisons at the time, generally being held to be of nearly the same standard, a position I find mystifying), but at least Syberia 1 had some interesting elements and a neat environment to explore. Syberia 2 scales back most of what I enjoyed about 1 and the areas are not nearly as neat. Plus it has one of those godawful musical tone puzzles that I can never, ever solve.

7. Kent says:

I hate how cheap Magicka is. It deserves to cost more.

• dadioflex says:

Ah. You equate brokeness with value. Interesting. So the more broken the game gets the more you would pay? Magicka is worth a hundred dollars to someone who manages to run it without issues and nothing to someone who can’t get it to run at all. I suspect the average is three bucks. Handy that. I almost bought it in the sale on Impulse but wiser heads reminded me it would get cheaper.

I say wait.

• Thants says:

dadioflex: Would you please stop trolling? There’s no need for that kind of thing.

8. banks1990 says:

There’s 60% sale on Splinter Cell series and 50% sale on Capcom games in gamersgate

9. magnus says:

Cloning Clyde’s a quite fun platform game, quite amusing and not too taxing. ‘It’s just talking space ships.’ so it’s Thomas The Faster Than Light Engine is it, Is there a Fat Insectoid Hive-Mind controller by any chance?

10. Flameberge says:

Is Magicka worth the flutter at this sort of price? So many problems at launch, so I never got it – worth it now? For that matter, is it mainly online or does it have single player elements?

• Phydaux says:

Play the demo. If you like the game play and it works on your hardware then buy it. I’ve had many hours of fun. It is much better with other people, but I really enjoyed the campaign by my self.

• Fumarole says:

Yes, yes and there is no difference except that you’ll die less alone while simultaneously having less fun.

• Thants says:

Maybe I’m just weird, but the click-and-hold-to-move instead of click-to-move ruins the game for me. It feels so clunky.

11. MadMatty says:

mmm i might get Plain Sight for 2.50 – i allready got Magicka which is allright lightweight fun.
    And i also got AI War allready, which is a great but butt-ugly 2d RTS game.

Allready got my hands full playing Borderlands which i picked up at the steam sale.

12. Bhazor says:

Also worth noting that this weekend might be the last chance to get The Witcher half price from GoG. If you bought the British or American release this might be your first chance of getting the Witcher short story and soundtrack from the Polish release.

13. amandachen says:

Outpost Kaloki is pretty good fun. I’d sum it up as Startopia-Lite. It was a bit bigger and better on the Xbox, though.

14. aego says:

Does anyone know if the games in the D2D Indie Sack register on Steam? The D2D site says those games are not eligible for refunds, but I’m not sure what that means.

• Fumarole says:

This link has the answer. It is updated regularly.

• aego says:

Thanks, but not all games are listed there, especially some indie games (like the Humble Bundles, which had serials which registered into Steam, but those games are not on Steam’s list).

• Vinraith says:

The humble bundle is a special exception, the games in that bundle do not normally register on Steam, but those bought through the humble bundle site in particular do. That list is fairly accurate and comprehensive.

• James G says:

Oooh, hadn’t realised I could register Torchlight on Steam. That’s quite neat, seem to remember the Steam version had steam-cloud support as well.

• Vinraith says:

@JamesG

Do note the clarifying note on that one. You have to have bought it direct from the dev before a certain date for that to work. Copies purchased elsewhere (like mine, from Gamersgate) don’t register on Steam.

15. jimjames says:

Hmmm. This is my deal of the weak;

Medieval 2, Alpha Protocol, Club, Condemned, Sonic the Hedgehog series… For Free!

16. d32 says:

Swords and Soldiers HD – £3.74/€4.99/$4.99
    This never ceases to annoy me. Fuck steam and their dollar/euro conversion rates.
    (and more annoyingly I’ve heard both steam and publishers stating, it’s the other ones fault)

17. Carra says:

It’s cheaper to just buy the magicka pack for €13 from Steam. Even without a special discount.

18. Mackem says:

Is anyone else having trouble buying Magicka from impulse? Every time i try it says there is an SSL verification failure. Has anyone had this problem, or am i the only lucky one?

19. Ysellian says:

Tiny Bang Story leaves a rather sour taste in my mouth given that the art is a blatant copy from other artists.

• trjp says:

Someone (probably you?) made this accusation before and it’s a fairly serious charge.
      If I were you’d I’d either come up with some rock-solid evidence or say less because that sort of accusation isn’t something you should throw around trivially…
      If you made that accusation towards a game I’d worked on, you’d find yourself with big fat envelopes of legal documents pretty quickly.
      So – proof?

• Sivart13 says:

From the comments on the Tiny Bang article on RPS: http://artsammich.blogspot.com/2011/05/good-artists-borrow-great-artists-steal.html

It’s pretty definitive.

• Vinraith says:

In particular, look at the bottles in the background of the two images in Sivart’s link. It is a fairly clear cut case.

• trjp says:

Firstly, Yselian said “the art” which, to me, implies all of it – or at least most of it – but we’re talking about ONE IMAGE – a bit of background in fact…

That’s hardly “Limbo of the Lost” is it??

The main painting of the woman is similar for sure, but the kid is tenuous. I get the feeling someone was desperate to find more ‘copied’ art in there and if that’s the best they could do, well…

Unless someone turns up a lot more “copying” then I think Ysellian is WELL out of order tarring the entire game – but I have my reasons for saying that which I’ll put into another post…

• trjp says:

The reason I rail against accusations of plagarism is that I’ve run into a few and I know that it’s easy to be harmed through nothing more than accident – let alone people using it maliciously.

Working with websites/digital art you run into cases of ‘copying’ on a daily basis – the amount of people who just hammer Google search and free design sites and copy stuff wholesale is countless…

We once tendered to do a website for a company who’s logo was very distinctive and was clearly going to be the keystone of the site’s navigation. We won the tender, produced the site and then received legal threats from another company who’d tendered and lost.

Their claim was that they’d “given that idea to the client” (it was the client’s logo!!). Our solicitors brushed-it-off (ker ching to them!) BUT the company then ran a press release to the local newspapers accusing us (and the client) of ‘stealing their work’. This time the client (a quite large organisation) brought their legal guns in and the company were forced to print a retraction – it was a nasty business tho and I think we ‘lost’ overall.

So, here’s my take on plagarism. If someone feels plagarised they should contact the offending party and challenge them, either personally or legally – and see where that goes.

What we DON’T need is people moaning and wailing but doing nothing about it – there’s no points for being the aggrieved party in this lifetime.

What we REALLY don’t need are newspapers running slanderous allegations as ‘press releases’ or posters on internet forums tarring whole games on the basis of 1 example – it’s a form of ‘mob justice’ at best

• amandachen says:

If you’re not involved with this particular game then you aren’t in a position to defend it or explain it away.

• dadioflex says:

@amandachen then you should just shut the eff up, shouldn’t you? I think you’re talking crap so I’ll post an opinion anyway, ma’am.

There’s no plagiarism. Even if the Tiny artist had that painting in front of him when he was doing his job, even if he had a set of microscopes on it and was copying it brush stroke for brush stroke, it’s clearly a very different image and art is so much about stealing that accusations of copyright infringement are pitiful. I feel sorry for the original artist who feels the needs to squeal about this when a million renaissance artists are churning their grave dirt over his work.

• trjp says:

@amandachen – I’m not defending it, I’m criticising people who throw wild and overstated accusations around and I’m suggesting that if there IS an issue, whining about it on your blog isn’t what’s called for.

If the original artist feels there’s a case for plagarism, they should do something about it – contact the developers and if that doesn’t work, consider legal recourse. That’s the way this sort of thing is done, not by organising the web into some sort of angry mob waving virtual pitchforks or using your blog to generate some sort of sympathy movement…

I’m guessing Ysellian and some other’s involved here here haven’t spent a shitload of their time creating something only to have “the Internet” start picking at it and accusing them of mass plagarism – if they had, they’d be less quick to start yelling about it…

I think the saying is “shit – or get off the pot” basically…

• mwoody says:

Look, the game’s artist took someone else’s picture and cut and pasted it into his own. You can talk about “baseless accusations” all you want, but you can get that much just from looking at the two. Look at the bottles in the back, for example – it’s the SAME BOTTLES. This isn’t even a trace; it’s a straight copy with some work down in the foreground.

It’s not enough to bring lawyers in for, but just because he doesn’t have grounds to sue doesn’t mean he can’t complain. Your argument is essentially “so sue me,” and that only flies when you’re twelve.

• Daniel Rivas says:

Are reference paintings no longer permitted? A shame.

20. Teddy Leach says:

Gamersgate is also having a Capcom and Splinter Cell sale, and it’s all very cheap and lovely.

21. dead_phoenix says:

Can you mod Just Cause 2 on steam?

• malkav11 says:

A) Yes.
      B) Just Cause 2 is a Steamworks game, so you wouldn’t be able to mod it at all, ever, if you couldn’t.

• Pointless Puppies says:

@malkav11,

So what are you saying, no mods ever work with games on Steamworks? Because that’s completely false, you know.

• Xocrates says:

@Pointless Puppies: Hum… he starts by pointing out that you CAN mod the Steam version.
      He’s just noting that being a Steamworks game means that if you couldn’t mod the Steam version the game wouldn’t be moddable, which it is.

• Stephen Roberts says:

Also worth noting that the BOLOpatch trainer thing program that gives you infinite ammo, unbreakable ropes and multiple ropes (making the game ultimately way way better) is now functioning with the latest Just Cause 2 exe.

Also worth noting Just Cause 2 for under 6 quid is pant-wettingly reasonable and no one should excuse themselves from the insanity.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, I’m just saying that with Steamworks games, the only version is the Steam version.

22. Ravenger says:

Bulletstorm is £13.99 instore at HMV. I’m waiting for £9.99 before I’ll bite :-)
    Witcher 2 is £22.99 instore at Morrisons, which is an excellent price. I was tempted just to get all the physical extras, as I have the GOG version.

23. Juan Carlo says:

If you buy “Just Cause 2″ from getgamesgo.com do they just give you an activation key for steam and then you download and play from Steam since it’s a steamworks game?

I want that game but I don’t want to have to do something stupid like run the game from getgamesgo.com then open and login to steam (kind of like you have to do with gfwl games on steam).

24. Flint says:

In other deals, Peggle Nights is 50% off, which makes its price about £3,49, on Steam today.
    There goes me doing anything constructive tonight.

25. Cryo says:

Well that’s funny – I’ve bought Magicka on Impulse, they took my money but so far have failed to provide me with the game. Is that supposed to take hours for them to process purchase?

• trjp says:

They will either have emailled the code (check your SPAM folder) or the game code will be accessible through the Impulse client??

• icupnimpn2 says:

I’ve had similar experiences with Impulse. With every other D2D site, I’ve had access immediately to my games &/or CD keys. Impulse can have this mysterious processing delay.

I don’t know if this is the case for everyone, but I had the problem when initiating the purchase from the Impulse web site instead of from within the Impulse launcher application.

26. dragonhunter21 says:

Bought the JC2 deal through GetGames, and the Steam key was bad (5 groups of 4 digits- real keys are 5 groups of 5).

Anybody else have problems like this? I’ve sent an email to Customer Service about it, so hopefully I’ll figure something out.

• TheLaquidara says:

I had the same issue with GetGames as well a while back. For the same game. Apparently they declined my card, black listed it. I only found this out after sending them an email. I decided to try them out again with a different card using a different payment method — I used PayPal last time. Same issue, except I was told by the system that my card was declined.

I’m not sure why they keep declining me. I’ve never had such issues with other services like Steam and Gamers Gate. My only guess is that it’s due to me being in the United States. Sucks, I really would like to play this game, but I can’t complain too much. It’s a great price and I’m sure either Gamers Gate or Steam will have it on sale again over the summer sooner or later for the same price.

• dragonhunter21 says:

Yeah, looks like they never did take any money.

I can’t imagine it won’t be marked down for the July sales, so I’ll wait for then.

• Torgen says:

I live in the US and bought Napoleon Total War from GetGames, paid through PayPal, no problems. Maybe someone entered the wrong bank of codes into their system for JC2?

27. MythArcana says:

The AI War bundle from Arcen Games is one of the best buys ever. All products integrated into one massive and tidy game system. Highly recommended!

28. les says:

Age of Fear released multiplayer patch and it’s again on discount -25% off and you get two licenses if you buy before June 6th!

Comment on this story