Carmageddon Countdown To Indie Reveal?

By Jim Rossignol on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:58 pm.

Worrying chap.
VG247 are reporting that the countdown timer at Carmageddon.com has nothing to do with former publishers Square-Enix (Eidos), and that it is possibly an independent project.

A source familiar with the matter said that Square Enix has nothing to do with the next in the Carmageddon series. All rights to the action IP have been negotiated away from Square, owner of original publisher Eidos. The Carmegeddon website is not owned by Square Enix, contrary to reports over the weekend.

Mysterious! I guess we’ll know more when the timer expires on June 1st. I wonder if it has anything to do with the previously reported open-source version.

1. N says:

Carma rocks.

2. Thule says:

5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO!

3. Teddy Leach says:

Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please. Yes, please.

Please?

• Oak says:

What he said.

• Vexing Vision says:

Please?

• starclaws says:

Yeah I’d love to see this series picked back up. Carnage, destruction, chaos, upgrades and weapons galore. I would rather they go back to all the maiming and blood rather than cutting it out. Carmageddon 3 was terrible.

But more than likely it is just a countdown to a relaunch of the website lol

• ntw says:

/signed, but with more “Yes please”‘s.

Please don’t fuck this up and ruin many, many hours of my happy memories.

Also – Carma was one of *the best games ever* to play at a LAN party…

• Brian Rubin says:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. More Carmageddon! I still play the original (and best one) on DOSBox regularly.

Monchberter says:

Tenthed, or whatever.

Keep it simple, straightforward and fun like Carma1! It’s really not a big deal. And if you can license the same engine Codies made GRiD and Dirt2 in, then please do!

4. trjp says:

First 2 were amazing in their day – 3rd one was a bit shonky but still HUGELY enjoyable…

BRING IT ON

5. Rei Onryou says:

I approve of this sick filth that others would attempt to ban.

6. TheIdlingSwan says:

A source familiar whois.sc followed the trail:

1) http://whois.domaintools.com/carmageddon.com
    2) http://whois.domaintools.com/86.63.4.42
    “3 websites use this address. (examples: 2fatladiesrecords.com carmageddon.com theohmz.com)”
    4) theohmz.com
    “for all enquiries Adam Radestock”
    5) http://uk.linkedin.com/in/raddish
    Systems Manager at Stainless Games
    6) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_Games
    “the company then went on to develop what later became Carmageddon”

Looks like the original developers are remaking Carmageddon.

• Eclipse says:

holy shit you’re right!!!

it’s Carmageddon 3!

• Brian Rubin says:

Holy crap, nice work Swan! That would rock if it were true!

• Bhazor says:

Stainless games have had some surprising success over the last few years. They made the rather lovely Magic: The Gathering game and they made the even lovelier Risk Factions. Perhaps more importantly Stainless Games still includes almost the entire original Carmageddon team.

• The_Great_Skratsby says:

GOLLY GOLLY GOLLY

• Spacewalk says:

I was a bit worried but reading this I’m a bit more relieved, excited even.

• Chirez says:

Soon as I saw it, I checked the domain.
      It’s owned by Squenix.
      So the site may come from the developer, but the domain is owned by the publisher.

7. Fumarole says:

So many pedestrians, so little time.

• willy359 says:

But that’s the most beautiful part: the more pedestrians you splatter, the more time you get!

8. evilbobthebob says:

Needs staring eyes tag.

9. Ba5 says:

They need to make it more streetstyle, to appeal to a wider audience.

10. skyturnedred says:

Carmageddon, the only racing game besides the Flatout series that I actually liked. Not that you get any real racing done in Carma… which is my only gripe with the Flatout games, too much racing getting in the way of total mayhem!

11. Songbearer says:

Just make a high res version of the first and second with Windows 7 compatibility and Europhira ragdolls and I’ll give you all my money. All of it.

I also enjoyed TDR, but don’t judge me forit.

• mwoody says:

Doesn’t Rockstar own the Euphoria engine now? It’s a shame, because I’d love to see more games use it. :(

• DrGonzo says:

They definitely licensed it, but I don’t think they own it. At least I hope they don’t own it.

• LionsPhil says:

Obligatory Euphoria-is-quite-cool-indeed link:

• simoroth says:

Funnily enough, when I interned at natural motion one of the guys we sat with was an ex Carma dev. They did some utterly insane shit making that game. :D

12. Axyl says:

Fox News is gonna shit a brick!
    I can’t wait!

Threw more hours of my life at Carmageddon 1 & 2 than I dare tell other people for fear of being locked up somewhere. lol :)

13. PatrickSwayze says:

I hope they roll with some dystopian cyber metal instead of screechy iron maiden this time.

But whatevz!

CARAMAGEDDON WOOOOOOOO!

Defined my adolescence!

• Spacewalk says:

I’d like them to consider a soundtrack full of power electronics bands but if that’s not going to happen I’ll just turn off whatever music is in there and do it myself.

Lakshmi says:

The only racing game I ever liked. Bring on the cunning stunts!

15. Drake Sigar says:

What a coincidence, I was just playing the original earlier! And no, not the censored zombie version.

PoulWrist says:

I want it so that I can play MP at LANs again in a version that works on modern PCs. I would even donate to an indieproject.

17. Navagon says:

This is good news. It means no boardroom meetings by people who have never played the originals deciding on what the latest edition to the series should be like.

I loved the original game. If something can capture the feel of that rather than just being an open world racer that lets you run people over then it will be an instabuy.

18. Gunsmith says:

THOSE OF US WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIE! WE SALUTE YOU!

19. scharmers says:

Carmageddon 1 was possibly one of the Greatest Games Ever simply because it took the limiters off of everything. It was completely out of control and LOL-inducing “emergent gameplay” occured all the damn time.

I’m not expecting the same reaction with whatever Stainless is coming out with, but as long as it is better than the reined-in Carma 2 and absolutely nothing like the dreadful Carma TDR then I’ll be OK.

20. Gothnak says:

I love 1 & 2. I suggest they release it on PC with little blood to pass the censors, then allow people to mod it back in… W00t!

21. Lagwolf says:

Woah, that would be rather good. I too spent many hours on LAN with friends with the original. I even remember the hack that enabled Mac users to use the Splat pack on Carma 1 on the Mac. It was all a lot of modern games lack… simple, stupid and oh so much fun.

22. Glycerine says:

Shitting shitfuck crikey. This is probably about the best gaming news anybody could announce, and it’s not even news yet.

It could also destroy my life, my job, everything i’ve worked to build up over the last ~15 years…but really, so long as they add to my multiplier, that’d be fine.

23. televizor says:

I’ll be playing Twisted Metal until a proper Carma title, thank you!

24. int says:

WHAT THE FUCK. I have waited for a Carmageddon game since Carpocalypse. TRD, not horrible, but not good.

A new installment of the best racing game ever made? Joy!