Robot Rock: The RPS Plain Sight Night

By Quintin Smith on May 23rd, 2011 at 2:49 pm.

Oh it's just so beautiful

What are you doing tonight?

We here at RPS are card-carrying fans of Plain Sight, the beautiful, acrobatic, low-gravity robot dueling game. So last week when the developers got in touch about organising an RPS Plain Sight night to give a boost to the game’s ailing playerbase, I was all to eager to shout “Yes!”, though it was more like “Yepht,” because at the time I was eating spaghetti. Whether you do or don’t own Plain Sight, if you want to have some fun and/or do a good deed and/or literally run rings around a sucker or two, tonight is for you. Details after the jump.

I say that tonight is for you even if you don’t own Plain Sight for the simple reason that at £1.99, the game’s so ludicrously cheap now that even if you bought it and just played for a couple of high-octane hours tonight, you’ll already have gotten your money’s worth. If you want a more solid reason than that, here’s Kieron and me singing the game’s praises.

So, when will this be taking place? And where? It’s easy! Come 6pm GMT Beatnik Games are going to be starting a selection of dedicated RPS servers that you’ll be able to see via the in-game lobby, at which point you should simply come along and have yourself a good time. I’ve specifically requested one CTF server, which as you may or may not know is the connoisseur’s Plain Sight mode of choice.

One last thing- at this point I’m going to say what I always say in conversations about Plain Sight, which is that you should disable the game’s music and run your own in the background. This game has a miraculous ability to suit any genre of music you care to throw at it, and both the album and the game will benefit. You’ll see. Jonsi’s Go in particular becomes a supernaturally beautiful experience when you’re floating a ninja robot through various dangerous parabolas. Give it a shot! And I hope to see you guys there.

, .

1. Bassism says:

I rather hope there will still be people playing by late US time, because I love this game.

• Waltorious says:

I would be down for some US time playing, but it will probably be quite late for me as I’m in California AND I need to cook dinner tonight. I’ll try and log on after and see if anyone’s still on.

• jonfitt says:

I’ll log in late CST too.

2. CMaster says:

Will be there, will try and bring the “gang” from my TS.
    Think I might experiment with Daft Punk.

3. Protagoras says:

I really wanted to get into it after getting it on the winter steam sale, but the servers are usually so dead… Hopefully tonight I’ll be able to give it a real try with lots of people around (and no bots) :D

4. Maykael says:

I just needed a reason to buy this. See you this evening fellow RPSers!

5. Gnoupi says:

I love the movement in this game, it feels fun to move around, and nicely disorientating.

However, the multiplayer system annoyed me to the point that I quickly stopped playing it. This is the kind of game which is allowing you to buy upgrades, according to how well you perform (number of points).

Which, for me, means that I was spending my time attempting to touch someone while the better players were upgrading their speed, their abilities, etc, increasing the problem. So in the end I just left each round frustrated, getting killed non stop.

It made me feel like if I was playing CS all over again, attempting to shoot people with my miserable pistol while getting killed by rifles, round after round.

I don’t know if they changed that since the last time I played, though. I would hope so.

• Tengil says:

Yeah, giving the better player a handicap seems like a really backwards way of doing it and put me off the game quite quickly.

• GeneralAdmission says:

I hear your frustration. The new minimum detonation energy requirement (every suicide requires more points than your previous suicide) just added to the game has made things worse in my opinion.

I’ve petitioned the devs over on the Steam forums to make the MDE a server option…we’ll see if that takes or not.

• Gnoupi says:

Oh, so apparently they listened to the hardcore base instead of the others.

If I remember, their biggest reason to complain was that when they were cumulating kills, if someone was killing them (usually with a lower score), they usually exploded themselves directly.
      I remember them being very mad at this, because to them it was “stealing”.

So I guess they felt the need to implement a system to prevent that, to force you to cumulate kills.
      Which indeed means that bad players like me will just stay bad, without any upgrade.

About server setting, it would be nice to have a fixed set of skills (the basic shield, and some little other things), and that’s all, no upgrade. But I guess it doesn’t go to the appropriate direction for them.

6. elDiablo says:

We’ll leave the servers running all night for our friends over the other side of the pond. And just as an aside to Quinns post, we’re recently added Steam friends integration, so that you can join through the handy “Join Game” button in Steam friends. So it will be as easy as looking at the RPS community page and joining someone who is already on.

Hope to see you all online tonight from everyone here at Beatnik Games!

• Axyl says:

Cheers dude.
      And muchos kudos on an awesome lil indie title.
      Are we going to be joined by some of the Devs at Beatnik as well? That would be awesome. :)

• elDiablo says:

Some of us will definitely be online, though late night US times might be a bit much for us (being based in the UK afterall).

• Axyl says:

works for me, i’m UK based as well.

Being a PC gamer from the UK gives us the best reasons to moan about stuff too..
      Release dates, Steam’s 1:1 conversion rate etc etc..
      And we brits do love a good complaint. :)

Plus, i find, and this maybe just me, but when i find a game i like, and then discover it’s by a British dev team, i tend to get behind it even more.
      That whole “local lads” vibe, y’know? :)

/endpointlessramble

7. somnolentsurfer says:

Quite enjoyed this, but none of my friends were playing (one friend I gifted it to claimed it made him ill), and I wasn’t very good at it. Really 6pm GMT, or 6pm current UK time (BST)?

8. brulleks says:

I’d completely forgotten that I owned this. Will be there, with mp3s in tow. Specifically Lambchop tonight, as I’m just getting into my first album of theirs.

Robots and alt country? It could work.

9. FLBR says:

“So last week when the developers got in touch about organising an RPS Plain Sight night to give a boost to the game’s ailing playerbase”

So this article is just an advert? Has Beatnik payed RPS for this article/ad?

tomeoftom says:

Maybe the answer lies right before our eyes – has RPS actually been Beatnik the whole time!??!?!?! How far down does the robot-hole go?!??!?!!!

• Protagoras says:

OH MY!

It seems this conspiracy was staring us the face the whole time. One could even say it was hidden in plain sight…

• FLBR says:

I find it quite funny that RPS criticized the free Deus Ex advertising campaign, and then they post an advert disguised as an article, with a £1.99 price tag.

Hypocritics.

• CMaster says:

@FLBR
      Are you really as dense as you appear?
      Yes, it’s pretty much just free advertising for the game – it also provides a service to the community as well. The article makes no secret of its origins. It also doesn’t charge you anything for reading it, nor is it remotely the same as the “like DX:HR’s FB page to unlock more adverts”.

You constantly make bizarre, bizarre comparisons that makes me think either your brain doesn’t work right (in which case people should probably stop picking on you) or this is all just pure troll.

Edit: Wait, Hypocritics? Has to be troll, surely.

• 8-bit says:

but most news posts on any video game website could be described as an advert, even the reviews.
      all I see in this article is that they are trying to get the readers together to play a game, nothing wrong with that. would a similar post about bloodbowl have gotten the same kind of hostile response, I doubt it.

• FLBR says:

8-bit, “the developers got in touch about organising an RPS Plain Sight night to give a boost to the game’s ailing playerbase”.

The article is an ad.

• Vagrant says:

EVERY post on this website (along with most others) is an ad. That’s sort of the way enthusiast press works, from film to basket weaving.

• Protagoras says:

Whats the problem with an ad? Its obvious that RPS think this game is good, and want to play it with other people because there aren’t enough players for it.

What about the organized games for ARMA? are they also ads?

What if RPS organizes a sunny D and rum party? are they in the employ of sunny D? or the international rum conglomerate (IRC)?

Regardless, even if marketing as a side effect of organizing events was all that evil, they’re supporting a small indie studio, and they’re talking about 2 fucking pounds. There are worse things to support (like EA/UBIDRM/AMERICA).

I know that stick you have up your blah blah blah SHUT THE FUCK UP.

• Jesse L says:

The ignore function looms…it looms for thee…

• Flobulon says:

FLBR : The RPS Truth Files, showing now in cinemas!
      (Disclaimer – FLBR holds no affiliation with any banned accounts of a similar four-letter name)

Next week – The Return of ASDF!

• FLBR says:

Protagoras wrote – “they’re supporting a small indie studio, and they’re talking about 2 fucking pounds. There are worse things to support”

Like a free Deus Ex ad campaign?

• Kieron Gillen says:

I recall the line a PR person told me a long time ago about the difference between Marketing and PR: “Marketing is coverage you pay for. PR is coverage you don’t pay for”.

If it was paid for, RPS would say so. We’d be legally bound to say so.

KG

• CMaster says:

@FLBR
      Just on the off chance that you will actually pay some attention.
      The complaint about the DX thing wasn’t that it was marketing.
      It was that fans were being asked to help market the game (by “liking it it flashes up on their walls, appears in the profiles etc) in return for which they would be given access to more marketing material. John was commenting on the ridiculousness of “If you help us market your game, we’ll let you help us market our game”. He wasn’t condemning marketing in itself for existing.

Just like your comments about Valve, you don’t appear to understand how to compare two things and see if they are alike no not alike.

Daiv says:

Okay guys, shut it down. FLBR has called you on it. Time to give up gracefully now your secret is out. Here are some cardboard boxes, lets not get anything scratched so we’ll wrap anything delicate in newspaper first. I need a volunteer to take the sign down, and someone’s going to have to seal Jim in a giant tupperware container. This carpet’s going to have to go, it’s ruined – what IS that stain? Never mind, into the skip with it. Don’t worry FLBR, by tomorrow this place will be a car park.

• FLBR says:

@Kieron Gillen; So when a developer contacts RPS claiming that their game has an “ailing playerbase” and would like to organise an “RPS [enter game title here] night”, RPS doesn’t charge them for writing an article advertising their game? An article/ad that otherwise wouldn’t have been written unless the developer contacted you first?

You do know that RPS has a syndicated link on Steam right? With more than 30 million Steam accounts, that’s potentially a lot of hits for RPS right?

Could be a lot of sales for the game(s) with the “ailing playerbase” right? And RPS doesn’t/wouldn’t get anything?

Ok.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

This was much better when I thought FLBR was a parody account.

Things are never that easy.

• Kieron Gillen says:

FLBR: Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying.

Like most of what RPS does, we just thought it was a giggle. It’s a great game, we dig it and they want to throw some RPS-servers up. Why not? Very little skin off our nose. We like having RPS events for our readers.

KG

tikey says:

I’d love to, but being in a completly different time zone really difficults things. And even beside that today is “there is an awful lot of things to do” day.
    What a shame :(

11. squareking says:

Woohoo. Hope to see some fellow RPS yankees out there tonight.

Also, FLBR: GOAWY

12. airtekh says:

I haven’t touched this since I bought it in a mega sale ages ago. Might check it out later.

13. mcwizardry says:

I’ll be there, could be a good idea to extend this kind of community event to other games.

Anthile says:

Soundtrack is, of course, going to be Pendulum or Sub Focus for me.

15. Axyl says:

Woop!

I’m reinstalling Plain Sight thru my Steam client as i type this..

Soundtrack for tonight will be Clutch methinks, interspersed with some Nero.
    Yup, Rock ‘n Roll, Robots and some Dubstep-y 8bit inspired awesomeness.

See y’all around 6ish. :)

16. KingCathcart says:

Haven’t played in ages due to low player count but it was jolly good fun when I did.

17. SamH says:

I own this game but never played it, sounds like perfect reason to give it a try :)

_Nocturnal says:

Yes, yes, yes.
    I hate you guys for ruining my other plans for tonight, but YES!

P.S.: I could never hate you.

Dolphan says:

£1.99? Nothing better to do this evening? I’m there.

20. McDan says:

Sweet! I knew I bought this for a reason! I’ll get practicing!

21. Ogun says:

Bah, have work to do this evening – but I guess it can wait.

22. Tom OBedlam says:

Quinns, ole buddy, this is highly improper of you, I have a dissertation to do…

See you there at 6.

23. Vexing Vision says:

This sounds really fun, in a self-harm inflicting way, but positive.

Shame I got work-related plans tonight. :(

24. itsallcrap says:

I bought this game last itme it was on sale and quickly discovered I was rubbish at it, so almost immediately went back to TF2.

But since this seems to be what all the cool kids are doing, I’ll be there boasting about how I was into it way before all you noobs.

25. DrazharLn says:

And my Axe!

26. Grinnbarr says:

Well… I have an exam at 9.30 tomorrow morning. Oh well.
    See you all there!

Coccyx says:

I’ll be there.

28. 8-bit says:

I could drag myself away from The Witcher for an hour I guess.

tonight I shall mostly be listening to MGMT.

29. westyfield says:

“This game has a miraculous ability to suit any genre of music you care to throw at it”

I’ll be there, Bellowhead in tow. English folk music and sea shanties sound like a perfect match for electro-laser-robot death!

30. Emil.BB says:

Nice! I bought it back when it came out, but then alot of work meant that I never got around to it, and now everybody says the servers are barren. But this might be my shot!

31. subedii says:

Guess I’ll give it a try and see. I’ve got a folder of random stuff I dumped together when playing RTS’s like Supreme Commander. I guess it could work here.

IIRC there isn’t any in-level music anyway though is there? Just the menu screen jazz?

AndrewC says:

Jonsi!

I can’t play because I have no time, and because I can’t play the game.

33. Rei Onryou says:

I’m tempted to not play, since whenever I look at it, it says “The last achievement you unlocked was: Who’s The Real 7 Billion Ton Robot Monster Here? Not I… Not I”

But I probably will play. Just not well enough to achieve anything.

PS: More games need awesome achievement names!

34. Felixader says:

Stop turning me into a PC Player.

35. ShowMeTheMonkey says:

Is this going to passworded for RPSers?

36. Xercies says:

Finnily enough I’ve just been listening to that album

tomeoftom says:

Will this be playable from Australia?

38. y2rich says:

Just downloading now. My music of choice will be Wasting Light by Foo Fighters

39. arienette says:

Dammit, I’ve been waiting for a good time to play this for ages and now on a night I can’t play this comes along!

40. FLBR says:

see above.

41. Vinraith says:

I;d love to play, Plain Sight is that rare purely MP game I actually quite enjoy, but the time zone mismatch is unfortunately unworkable. :(

42. Lewie Procter says:

Gosh I suck at Plain Sight.

43. Qbopper says:

I got this the other day! Now I have a reason to play it.

44. ShowMeTheMonkey says:

338 points is good for me… Great game guys!

45. KillahMate says:

Actually bought this in a sale a while back, never played it though. Downloaded it on Steam just a few days ago, must have been a hunch… I’ll be there in a few hours, hopefully not everyone will have left by then…

As for that other thing, the Tron soundtrack is too easy I think. Maybe some Schiller? And then Bear McCreary. ‘Storming New Caprica’ might just go well with this.

46. Kerbobotat says:

Oh god I hate my life. My visa card was stolen yesterday, and I want to play this.
    Anyone purchasing a four-pack they have a spare in?

47. brulleks says:

Damn. Managed half an hour before I got motion sickness. First game ever to give me that while I’ve been sober : (

Rhygadon says:

I was sort of amazed that it *wasn’t* making me nauseated. It certainly seems like it should. I wonder how much playtesting they devoted to minimizing that.

48. Kieron Gillen says:

Just had an hour on the servers in the company of Daft Punk’s Discovery, which always works well.

KG

Rhygadon says:

Well, that was good fun. If a bit hypnotic.

Amazing how much difference it made when I had the micro-epiphany that seconds in which I was not locked on were seconds in which I could not be killing anybody.

50. Coins says:

This game is so hard. That, or I’m -horrible- at multiplayer games.