Post-Rapture: BioShock Infinite Breaks Cover

By Alec Meer on May 24th, 2011 at 12:31 pm.

Disconsolate at having not been cast in X-Men First Class, Patrick Stewart took to extreme skydiving for catharsis

The 2K way of late appears to be announcing impossibly ambitious and exciting-sounding games then going deathly silent for months (with the notable exception of Duke Nukem Forever, which has been very, very noisy since its comeback announcement). So it’s grand to see BioShock: Infinite start its promotional gears turning again, ahead of what will hopefully be a grand old infosplosion at E3. Following a revamp of the game’s website, we’ve got four new screenshots to stare at and make desperate, fannish guesses about. Hope you don’t like horses, because I’m about to show you a picture of a dead one.

Not much information to go on about these, bar that they show off the city of Columbia’s ‘Vox Populi’ faction. Not sure if that’s Stripey McFace above, or Burny McBeard below, or both?

This one seems to be from the previously-seen footage, and concerns the rather nasty Murder of Crows power we’ve heard about already:

And here’s the dead horse. Are you ready for the dead horse? You’d better be, because here it comes. Right…. now:

The lady is major NPC Elizabeth, and to my entirely guessing eye appears to have been redesigned a little from her earlier pinch-faced incarnation.

So that’s that! What does it tell us? It tells us that there will be horses (dead), women (alive), men (also alive), crows (also alive) and posters (probably not alive, but I guess they could be). More, please.

Here’s the in-game footage trailer from last year, in case you recently ate some funny-looking mushrooms and forgot all about BioShock: Infinite:

, , .

1. mpk says:

But will the dead horse be flogged?

• torchedEARTH says:

On consoles, he will be fogged.

Ah ha ha, ha ha. Did you see…what I did…oh never mind.

• Pinky G says:

Its a bit on rails… (sorry)

2. kyrieee says:

Still looks pretty pinch-faced to me. I don’t like her design at all, it’s like she wore a corset around her neck for years

3. jon_hill987 says:

It isn’t post rapture. Didn’t you hear? It has just been re-scheduled to October 21st.

4. Zanchito says:

I just read the Eurogamer preview and it seems to be nice. Nice, not awesome, but again, I never liked Bioshock all that well. It had all the pieces it needed, but it just didn’t click for me. :(

5. Rii says:

Eurogamer and IGN (and probably others that I haven’t seen) have some interesting previews of the game up now, which have sufficed to elevate Bioshock: Infinite from my most anticipated game to, well, still my most anticipated game. As much as I like the sound of the Songbird/Elizabeth relationship, though, I’m getting distinct flashbacks to the hype surrounding the Little Sister/Big Daddy AI interactions pre-release.

Oh, and the title is STILL horrific. I don’t care what in-universe explanation they’ve come up with. It’s bloody terrible. Hell ‘Bioshock’ alone is terrible, but the addition of ‘Infinite’ renders it infinitely worse.

• Porkolt says:

What about AeroShock?

• Rii says:

Someone suggested ‘Rapture’ in place of ‘Bioshock’ and ‘Columbia’ in place of ‘Bioshock: Infinite’. And yeah, those would’ve been infinitely preferable.

• airtekh says:

Skyoshock?

• skraeling says:

I like the title, but perhaps only because I like pretending it’s a subtle spiritual reference to Marathon: Infinity.

• Porkolt says:

But the ‘shock’ part of the title is important because they’re all spiritual successors to the System Shock series.

• Premium User Badge hexapodium says:

I move that “Skyoshock” should be the new RPS name for Infinite. It could be the next CODBLOPS for all we know.

• Thants says:

Hey, I’m not the only one who was reminded of Marathon: Infinity. High-five!

• Medevila says:

I can understand the whole “Infinite” problem, albeit exaggerated, but if you have your panties in a bunch about “Bioshock” I’m going to have to call hipster on this one.

Let me guess, didn’t like the name System Shock either? Oh wait- you probably weren’t even alive yet.

6. DanPryce says:

Also due an infosplurge: XCOM.

7. PatrickSwayze says:

How old is the girl meant to be in this?

She’s kind of cute but makes me feel a little Humbert Humbert :|

• Luminous Nose says:

But of course, she’s as old as you want her to be, Humbert…

• Urthman says:

Given that they probably didn’t start serious work on this game until Bioshock 2 was mostly in the can, she’s at most 3 years old.

8. Iokanaan says:

“I see what the problem is, Elisabeth. it’s that damned corset!”

it actually looks really intruiging. as a symbolic take om mankind. I love the design. I wonder how much is predetermined.

9. HexagonalBolts says:

Alive and boobin’

• HexagonalBolts says:

But by god, that video still gives me the willies. It’s just incredible, if the final game can achieve even a portion of the brilliance in that trailer then I’ll be more than happy.

• Zenicetus says:

But is it a game, or an interactive movie? I like the setting, but that video couldn’t look more linear and scripted if it tried.

The first Bioshock was linear too, but it preserved at least a minimal feeling of exploration. That video looks like just a chain of scripted events, and you have to do everything just right to survive the sequence. I hate games like that, because I never seem to figure out the “right” way the first time, and I end up dieing and repeating so many times that immersion just disappears. I mean, if I didn’t know it was coming, I’m sure I’d be creamed by that falling liberty bell right at the start! I really hope the whole game isn’t like that.

10. Radiant says:

Knockers

11. Xercies says:

Boobies

12. el_Chi says:

Face: altered.
    Heaving bosom: unaltered.

13. fallingmagpie says:

Solid caption on the top image. Well done. When I saw ‘Patrick’, I initially thought it was going to be a Point Break gag though.

Also, isn’t that Rico Rodriguez diving out behind him? OMG BioShock Just Cause crossover!!?!

14. Thiefsie says:

Stephen Russell from Thief… YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!

15. CaspianRoach says:

I’m having a hard time following the video, if the game will be just as confusing I don’t think anyone will be able to play it while not on drugs.

• Rii says:

It’s a highlight reel showing off different game elements, not a walkthrough of the actual game. So yeah, it’s very disjointed.

• Teddy Leach says:

I did think it seemed like a series of random bits and pieces horribly mashed together so that nothing made sense.

16. seanminty says:

I was going to say something about boobies but I’ve been beaten (off) to it.

Even if the game stinks which i doubt I’m really excited to just visiting this new environment. It looks absolutely gorgeous and fabulously atmospheric.

Rage is going to have a hard time kindling my excitement as much as this.

• Felixader says:

Yeah i have to say the last gameplaytrailers for RAGE weren’t kindly to my appreciation of it’s coming.

• Thants says:

But RAGE has a pistol, an AK, and a shotgun. It’s groundbreaking!

17. Premium User Badge BathroomCitizen says:

When I saw the picture at the top I thought of Brink.

Oh, don’t bother me, just saying!

18. N says:

So. You’re playing as the guy from Bulletstorm huh?

19. RagingLion says:

Yeah, definitely a redesigned Elizabeth it seems. A slightly warmer and friendlier face now.

20. gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Well, since 2K’s QA team is about as lively as that horse, which resulted in BioShock 2 being a bugfest of Derek Smart level proportions, my wallet is closed to them for this or any future games. They could make Bioshock: Free Basket of Gold and I’d still not trust em to not fill it with feces instead. Sure is pretty though. Shame I’ll never trust 2K again.

Also, 2K’s customer support can be characterized as insulting.

21. vastad says:

Wow, what a nice movie. When does it come out in theatres?

22. FecesOfDeath says:

Kratos skydiving?

23. eclipse mattaru says:

Someone should fax these game developers that memo about this being the year 2011 and how it’s pretty stupid to expect 4 screenshots to impress anyone anymore and whatnot.

Also, whatever happened with that XCOM FPS they were making?

• Rii says:

Different studio. It’s the Bioshock 2 crowd making the XCOM FPS.

And other outlets have new previews of the game up. So there was more than just the four screenshots, RPS merely didn’t get in on it all.

• Rii says:

Delete.

24. Muzman says:

What sort of game this is exactly is still something of a mystery to me. It seems much more of a ‘ride’ than Bioshock was. I get the impression that it is a kind of CoD type game; a rollercoaster of scripting and close shaves with gameplay somewhere second.
    An extremely fanciful steampunk-ish CoD is actually a novel idea, but still kind of hmmmm as far as parting with cash goes for me. I guess we’ll have to see what they say when the time comes.

• Rii says:

Someone should tell Irrational not to bother putting together interesting concept reels for their games because every man and his dog is going to assume they’re representative of gameplay and that the game is therefore CoD.

• Muzman says:

Good call. In fact all of game marketing should do this, not just Irrational. All promotion of a game should fundamentally concern the mechanics of actually playing it, at all times. (or at least accompany trailers and so on with press describing such things. The new X-Com did this. And games journalists shouldn’t truck with marketing’s hype generation trying to get to the meat of the game where possible. Ideally speaking anyway).

25. Zenicetus says:

Rii, that video has “gameplay video” text embedded below the official game logo. C’mon…. are we not supposed to judge a developer-released video that says “gameplay video” now?

Where, and when, does truth in advertising kick in?

I think game devs should be held responsible for how they try to market their games and try to generate buzz on the ‘Net. Like that deceptive first video for Dead Island. If you’ve got a good game, then fine…. show us that game! Don’t show us something different to build online hype. And if the game actually is a movie-on-rails, then have the balls to say that and show it in the previews. Be consistent with the marketing.

26. Rii says:

This would be hilarious if it weren’t so sad. You know how film trailers take bits and pieces of the film and arrange them in such a way as to form an effective and attractive trailer? That’s exactly what’s going on here: they’ve taken bits and pieces of the game, arranged them in such a way as to form an effective showcase, and filmed the result. Only you’re all so used to seeing game trailers put together like film trailers that when someone takes advantage of the medium’s malleability you can’t fucking handle it. There are no cuts as is necessary to achieve the same effect in film therefore the actual game experience must be exactly as depicted.

Oh well, at least I can entertain myself with the idea of interpreting film trailers in the same fashion. “OMG where did that car go? Film makes no sense!” Or maybe “gosh, there’s an awful lot of cutting in this film isn’t there? I don’t think I can take 2 hours at this pace.” Teehee.

• Muzman says:

So you’re saying they’re lying about it being a gameplay trailer.

Of course, none of that really alters the fact that people want to know more about how the game plays and how representative the video is.

• Zenicetus says:

@ Muzman: Exactly… just tell me if this is a gameplay video, or not. I want to know if a game like this is an interactive movie with timed trigger events (which I’m not that interested in), or if it’s something that isn’t as scripted as it looks. I just want to see how the game looks when I’m actually playing it.

This is not too much to ask. At this point in the ever-expanding hoopla of game promotion, anyone who fails to be honest about their actual game play is not getting a dime of my money. I’m just not interested in seeing whether Hollywood or the game industry can out-do each other in making a great video trailer.They’re getting close to the point where they’re interchangeable.