Creep Is Death: Creeper World 2

By Quintin Smith on May 25th, 2011 at 5:21 pm.

Abandoned headline: What A Load Of Creep

2009 saw Kieron writing about something called Creeper World, a tower defense-RTS type indie game where the player was pitted against a huge, disgusting, doomsday blob known as Creeper that was still hungry despite eating three hundred billion humans in the game’s intro sequence. In short, he enjoyed himself.

Today, Creeper World 2 has been released! Where do we go from here? Well, you can read my impressions and watch a video after the jump, download the demo here, buy the full game here for £6.35 or you could just look at pictures of a long-abandoned USSR nuclear shelter. You’re free, you luck dog! The choice is yours.

A GOOD CHOICE!

In the hour of my life Creeper World 2 devoured effortlessly I got to grips with the sequel’s principal new offering, that of destructible terrain. This works very well indeed- while for most of the time you’ll still be engaged in the satisfying and exciting activity of trying to hold back an aggressive tide, now you’ve got the added puzzles and dangers of what will happen when the Creeper erodes its way through certain crumbling bits of wall, and whether you can turn the situation to your advantage by removing other walls yourself at just the right time, thereby splitting, halting, or compressing the advance when needed.

Wait, I’m forgetting the other big new feature- with Creeper World 2 a large part of the puzzle involves building friendly Creeper of your own, and pitting it against the enemy blob in a clash of the titans. Although without careful positioning so that gravity and the terrain compresses your Creeper into tight packs, you might find yourself getting overrun. It’s all good stuff, and infinitely more intuitive than it sounds.

It’s also the definition of a lovely PC indie game, seeing as it’s ugly, smart, engaging, charming and cheap. I think I like this game quite a lot. Why don’t you see if you do too? That demo’s ready and waiting for you, guy.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Ian says:

I liked the original enough to buy it but found the final levels to be an exercise in grindy tedium.

I do like the changes of destructible terrain and friendly creeper, though. I should probably give it a bash.

2. The Innocent says:

YES! I had no idea a sequel was coming out! I loved the first game — it was a great game to play while watching TV shows through the internet box. I am definitely getting this immediately.

Thank you, Hivemind!

3. Heliocentric says:

The original game owed a great debt to Perimeter. Glad to see the have made efforts to expand the premise.

4. Howling Techie says:

Loved the first one, I’ll probably get around to buying it soon enough.

5. tomeoftom says:

Gah! It’s HIDEOUS! But looks neat as.

6. MartinNr5 says:

The trailer didn’t make it look any easier…

7. Dominic White says:

I really liked that demo. It’s a very interesting variant on the original Creeper World gameplay. By making it a top-down view, mining-themed game, it opens up a lot of interesting physical tactics, especially as you have your own pressure-generating anti-creep system in place.

I think I’m going to buy the double-pack of this and the original.

8. DrGonzo says:

Yes! The first game was fantastic, can’t wait to try the demo.

9. Worldbeing says:

So I pirated the original in my long-ago days of piracy (nothing left now but the parrot), and really enjoyed it.
    That double-pack is looking *really* tempting….

10. Kdansky says:

Played the demo. Incredibly bland. As mentioned above, you can play this while watching TV. But then again, you could watch or play something that was good enough to not require doing both at the same time.

11. Dominic White says:

The demo doesn’t really give you an idea of how the campaign develops. It loves throwing new twists at you, like having a gravitational vortex in the center of the map that pulls all the creep inwards, swelling into this hyper-dense single point that requires some real siege mechanics to break through.

Some of the stuff shown in the trailers such as creep ‘tanks’ looks fascinating. Can’t wait to play further.

12. The Army of None says:

I spent a long time with the other one. Downloading the demo now :D

13. Dominic White says:

I assume that, like the first game, this’ll be expanded over time. I’m a little over halfway through the campaign so far, and it’s definitely throwing a lot of interesting curveballs my way. The only real gripe I have is that the cleanup phase of each level – mopping up the last of the creep – is pretty tedious.

Still, I just played a level where I was basically fighting a losing battle against a rising tsunami on the surface, while trying to outpace its growth underground in order to cut off the source. Very tense.

14. Bobtree says:

Perimeter shout-out. The frame is yours to command, Legate!

Watching both Creeper World trailers makes me want to play the first game which I never got around to. The original has a very clear readable visual style, but the sequel looks like a confusing mess, the photo backdrop throws me for a loop, and I can’t even tell if it’s supposed to be top-down or side view. I’m downloading the original demo so I’ll try it eventually.

• Dominic White says:

It’s a side-on view, with a large focus on digging out fortifications and trying to build up pressure wells of your anti-creep in order to make large pushes towards the emitters.

It makes sense after about 10 minutes. It’s a totally different game, but it also feels like the first.

15. Ralphomon says:

I’m not too sure about this side-on view, but what the hell, I enjoyed the first game so I’ll probably like this one too!

16. DethbyIT says:

Totally hooked on the first game and didn’t even try the Demo for CW2 – just bought it without hesitation.

So far, the only downside is sleep deprivation and a total lack of productivity at work.

In fairness, it is probably easier to adapt/learn CW2 if you are familiar with the original. Almost finished with the pre-built games and am looking forward to what some of the “user created” games will be like.

17. bbcversus says:

Omg omg I soo loved the first one, a great story hidden in a really cool game! Can’t wait to play this one, hope the story stays strong! :)

18. Karsten75 says:

I didn’t think I was going to like the game, until I hit the last few story days and then the bonus missions. With some of the options, it makes for a number of different play modes. Like one map has asteroids and you kind of float in space. Another has a real TD feel to it where you have to fight off lines of drones.

I think once he releases the map editor there will be wicked custom maps! In CW1, the custom maps was by far the best feature of the game and I think here it will be the same.