DeathSpank vs Anti-Spank

By Alec Meer on May 25th, 2011 at 5:26 pm.

I'm a little suprised we don't already have a 'bacon.jpg' in the system

The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy is not the only game Hothead is currently working on, it transpires. Those man-fellas and lady-fellas are also turning their attentions to a third DeathSpank game. DeathSpank is, you might recall, the creation of former Lucas Arts heroman Ron Gilbert; he’s now reunited with former colleague Tim Schafer at Doublefine, with Hothead confirming to Kotaku that the ‘Spank will be entirely their own work. It is called The Baconing, it is promised to be major improvement upon the first two games, and it features (in fine, crappy superhero comic tradition) The Anti-Spank.

Here’s yer announcement video, though it doesn’t contain much other than logos and whispering. On the plus side, it is whispering about bacon.

Hothead claim there’ll be redesigned combat, smarter enemies, more quests, more variety (the lack of it having been the major criticisms of last year’s Deathspankery) and a laser-eyeballed, cannibalistic sidekick named Bob From Marketing.

Presumably it is Bob’s decision that there are no screenshots as yet, even though the game’s due out in the Summer. IT PRETTY MUCH IS SUMMER NOW, WHY DO ALL THE PRESS RELEASES SAY SUMMER STOP SAYING SUMMER SAY AN ACTUAL MONTH PLEASE FOR GOD’S SAKES WON’T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN AND ESPECIALLY THE CHILDREN’S CONFUSING, MEANINGLESS CALENDARS WHICH REFERENCE LIKE 1200 GAMES ALL SAYING THEY’RE GOING TO BE RELEASED IN ‘SUMMER’ EVEN THOUGH IT IS BASICALLY SUMMER NOW AAAAARGH.

And relax. Anti-Spank will be the main villain, and one of several new bosses in what’s promised to be a new story in an all-new science fiction world. Hooray! More soon, no doubt.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Xocrates says:

I thought summer started in June in the northern hemisphere and ended in March in the southern hemisphere.
    Soo… how is it summer again?

EDIT: Oh right, the game.

I liked Deathspank enough to buy the sequel/expansion, but I’m still to finish that one since there really wasn’t anything new there. I’ll need way more details before getting interested in this.

• StenL says:

That is true, but for some reason, people in the UK and the Ireland are taught in school that summer begins in May, which has been the cause of numerous drunken arguments between me and my friends.

2. durns says:

Summer starts on Memorial Day (last Monday of May for you furriners).
    You’re five days early Mr Meer – maybe every developer will send you updated release dates over the weekend? YOU NEVER KNOW!

• Xocrates says:

That’s interesting, I always thought that the dates of 21 June to 21 September (summer solstice to the autumn equinox) was more or less universally accepted as the length of summer in the northern hemisphere.

The more you know.

• durns says:

I should probably add the caveat ‘in the USA’ to that statement.

• westyfield says:

I simplify it and view the seasons in 3-month blocks, with June, July and August being summer.

• Jad says:

westyfield, that’s largely how I look at it too.

The issue with using the equinoxes is that they don’t really line up to what feels like summer, climate/weather speaking. If you live in a temperate latitude (in the Northern Hemisphere) it starts getting relatively hot outside before June 21 and starts becoming cooler and more autumnal before September 21. With obvious variations depending on your location, of course.

So either the US-centric holiday-calendar method of Memorial Day to Labor Day, or the westyfield-approved three month way seems to fit the best.

• DJ Phantoon says:

I thought it became Summer when it got really really really hot and refused to stop doing so.

3. fiddlesticks says:

So, what exactly does an Anti-Spank do?

4. nuh uh no way says:

these guys come up with the best sidekicks. my girlfriend loved playing as Sparkles the Wizard in the original. i hope the co-op characters get fleshed out more; their own inventory and equipment, etc

5. Shadrach says:

OOh nice, I really enjoyed both the previous Deathspank games, good Diablo-style hack’n'slash without ever feeling grindy and with excellent humor.

6. bluebomberman says:

Deathspank was a disappointment for me (and this is coming from someone who normally likes mindless slaughtering). Didn’t even bother with part 2.

All of Hothead’s games have been long on initial appeal, short on actual fulfillment for me. They need better gameplay and less thong and urine jokes.

*cringing from flashback to Penny Arcade adventures.*

7. checkit says:

this bacon meme has gone too far

• Fumarole says:

One can never have too much bacon good sir. Regardless of what your arteries tell you.

• FKD says:

I have to agree. I certainly love bacon, but making everything about it is getting quite stupid. Same thing with zombies if you ask me. Was funny, now it is just old.

8. ael says:

Does anyone know if I’ll be able to play this episode without having to download it from a website of questionable morality? I tried offering my help to get Deathspank and TOV released in France, but it seems they don’t really care.

9. Shazbut says:

Tim Schafer is involved? YESNESS!! Also, the name is already laugh-out-loud funny to me. Colour me interested

• Xocrates says:

Hum… no he isn’t.

Schafer got a mention because Ron Gilbert is now working with him at at DoubleFine, which is a completely different company that’s not involved in any way with this game.

Gilbert himself departed Hothead before Thongs of Virtue (the second Deathspank) even came out and apparently has nothing to do with this one.

• msarge says:

Thank you so much for this comment. For some reason when I read this article I also thought Tim Schafer was working on this game. After rereading it though, it is definitely made clear that Gilbert is with Schafer at Double Fine now, but that didn’t stop me initially trying to google why Tim was now working with Hothead, and what the fate of Double Fine was.

10. MadMinstrel says:

Umm… “The video is private”? What gives?

11. RegisteredUser says:

Wait.
    THIRD Deathspank? I thought there was only the normal one and thongs of virtue DLC/addon?

12. TomSmizzle says:

Downloadable XBLA developers all want to be part of the Summer of Arcade promotion, so that’s why a whole ridiculous number of titles go for a vague ‘summer’ release.

Probably.