Double The Dinosaurs: Orion Prelude Grows

By John Walker on May 25th, 2011 at 11:50 am.

Actual screenshot at last!

I really wish Orion: Prelude would hurry up. I feel like we’ve been posting about it for six hundred years. It’s actually only been about eight months, making me massively unfair. But still. The exciting news today? TWICE AS MANY DINOSAURS! Spiral’s FPS multiplayer will now include the T-Rex, raptor, rham-phorynchus (as everyone was expecting), stegosaurus, argentinosaurus, and crowd favourite, triceratops. There’s pictures of them below, and some screenshots (at last), along with an amazing new video.

Here are the crew:

And here’s some screenshots you can click on for bigness:

And finally a video. It’s so colourful!

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , , .

1. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Do want. HUD looks rather cluttered, but the Triceratops, Raptors and T-Rex’s make up for it I am sure!

• Vagrant says:

The UI is mostly good, but needs refinement. They need to find a way to get rid of that HUGE circle on the bottom left that doesn’t even curve with the rest of the UI. Also, do they keep that FPS-centric UI in a 3rd person camera when you’re running around in what I assume is a robot suit? bah.

2. jon_hill987 says:

Are they still misrepresenting Deinonychus as a Velociraptor like Jurassic Park?

• Nero says:

On a different note, Deinonychus has been my favorite dinosaur ever since we got our first PC in 1993-1994 which came with the exciting CD-ROM “Microsoft Dinosaurs: An Interactive Journey into the World of Dinosaurs”. I remember that low res t-rex video very clearly. Soo good.

• Pinkables says:

I remember getting really worked up about this when i was about 10.

• dancingcrab says:

@Pinkables

Me too! Went to see JP, couldn’t believe my favourite dino (for the same reason as Nero) was being mirepresented, paraded as the twerp velociraptor.

• matty_gibbon says:

No, don’t stop! Continue! I am with you! SOMEONE MUST PIT A STOP TO THIS MADNESS!

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

Given that we’re all hopping on board the pedantry freight train like so many booze-addled hobos, I’d like to add that Pterosaurs are not Dinosaurs and hence there are, in fact, only 66% more Dinosaurs.

• Tony M says:

Also, the penetration value of Armor Piercing ammunition on a Triceratops is not historically accurate.

3. CMaster says:

It looks very errr, Vibrant.
    In an almost 16-bit shooter way. “Here is a background. Here are props (trees, rocks) placed on it. Here are enemies roaming background to shoot.”
    Sprint headbob is kind of extreme.
    Notice they don’t have attack animations etc sorted for the dinos yet.

Looks like it could be good fun.

Edit: Wot, no feathers? Guess they are sticking with the old fashioned “giant lizard” dino idea rather than how modern palaeontology understands them. No harm in that really.

• Hoaxfish says:

I think it looks pretty nice… but the dinosaurs actually look out of place.

Maybe it’s all those fake CGI reenactment Dinosaurs on the TV, but I think it’d work better with more greenery, or with giant alien monsters instead of dinosaurs.

• DainIronfoot says:

• Oak says:

When feathers stop making dinosaurs look ridiculous, they’ll catch on.

• MrMud says:

Im all for feathers but im guessing that making feathered creatures is actually alot harder and more resource intensive than just making normal skins.

• MadTinkerer says:

When covering a fully articulated T Rex sized model in feathers (specifically, feathers with proper simulated physics so they don’t just look like elongated jagged scales) will run as smoothly on the average gaming PC as a plain smooth-skinned T Rex will, then you will get feathers on your dinos.

• Blaq says:

“I can’t see popular media EVER shifting to an accurate portrayal of dinosaurs. There are some ideas too deeply engrained.”

Well, they did take some artistic license on the Triceratops colouring (and others as well). As far as I know, there is no proof that they had brightly coloured collars. They might have had, to attract females or scare predators by appearing to have a bigger head than they did, but there is no definitive proof (no skin fossils).

So they did take a bit of a risk there, since I’m not sure we know what colour any of those dinosaurs were.

• CMaster says:

@Blaq I think you’re a bit behind on your understanding of Dinosaurs here. I mean yes, the colours are a guess, as they are for any extinct species with no photographic or similar records. But beyond that, this game portrays Dinosaurs as well, “Terrible Lizards”. Which it turns out is wrong (ish). Dinosaurs aren’t actually extinct – all modern birds are part of the dinosaur group, and classical dinosaurs may have resembled birds as much as lizards – some (probably many) were feathered and they may have been almost all warm blooded.

• Blaq says:

Yes, of course there were feathered dinosaurs and those that fit in between the classical dinosaurs and mammals, birds and all that jazz. But my comment was referring to the 5 dinosaur species screenshotted in the article. I’m not aware of any proof-based claims that T-Rex, triceratops and the rest above had feathers or were warmblooded.

Or am I just incredibly behind the times? I admit that my interest in dinosaurs has waned quite a bit since I was a teenager. :)

And claiming that dinosaurs aren’t exciting is a bit misleading I’d say. A better wording for it would be that they evolved. As far as we know all dinosaur species are extinct.

4. Flint says:

It /looks/ amazing. I’ll probably never play it because I’m not really into multiplayer FPS games, especially more competetive ones, but the awesome visuals of this game makes me wish I was.

5. McDan says:

Huh, needs more dinosaurs.

6. Cyber Rat says:

How did the Shooting Department of First Person Shooters allow this monstrosity? It’s not nearly as brown and gray as it needs to be!

7. DainIronfoot says:

I like the colours!

That being said, is the team based MP FPS not getting a little crowded? It seems to be the genre of choice for a lot of modders and indie FPS devs but it relies rather heavily on there being enough people.

• jon_hill987 says:

Indeed. They die quickly with too few players, and how are indie ones going to compete with generic brown yearly shooter from Activision when they know to make it as generic as possible for mass appeal?

• Resonance says:

I dunno, Halo meets dinosaurs is already pretty generic, colors or not considering there’re other indie FPS games also based around Dinosaurs…

And why the sudden shock regarding colors – have we all forgotten TF2?

• MrMud says:

With all due respect, TF2 is pretty damn brown.

• jon_hill987 says:

UT2004 was the last (multiplayer) shooter I remember that was in colour.

• Resonance says:

Hmm, now you mention it I guess it is browner than I give it credit for…
      Still this game takes it’s [rips-off] concepts very much from Halo [right down to the character designs] so I guess they took their inspiration from the [very colorful] backdrops of those games.

• DrGonzo says:

TF2 having a lot of brown in it doesn’t stop the fact that is has a lovely colour palette with lots of varied bright colours.

UT2004 was a bit colourful too. But if that’s the last colourful multiplayer shooter you played, then it’s a comment on you, not on games.

8. MrHairyLives says:

Very strong head-bob there, very strong.

• NthDegree256 says:

I think the intense head-bobbing must be caused by sprinting. If you watch the bits where they’re indoors, the player moves forward at a slower clip and with much, much less shaky-cam.

9. BunnyPuncher says:

Looks pretty good for most of the reasons that firefall doesnt.

10. pkt-zer0 says:

Was this the game where the project leader fired the entire team without paying them after getting a fair bit of cash through pre-orders/donations/whatever?

11. Grinterloper says:

I remember a long time a go when these guys were making a HL2 mod, they came to the interlopers forum with a Halo rip off, I was dismissive of them, but I have to admit, you guys have come a long long way.

12. DeanLearner says:

Oh sweet, how did they manage to get so many colours into a FPS? I didn’t think it was possible.

13. PatrickSwayze says:

I’ve never seen a Dinosaur in the snow.

14. Eclipse says:

mmm never saw so much bobbing in any fps, not even on DooM… i really hope in a scrollbar to lower it (a lot).

15. syntax says:

I love the art style, reminds me of Crysis.

16. TheWanaB says:

If I recall correctly this is a team that:
    - Fired team members with no explanation.
    - Was accused of fraudulent activity [rightly or wrongly] with regards to their basecamp earnt money.
    - Stole concept art from fellow indie game Primal Carnage.
    - Removed their game from Moddb due to the community backlash regarding point 1 but tried to make up some form of excuse.
    I wouldn’t buy it on principle – and even if those accusations aren’t completely accurate [there's been a lot of debate and seeming bullshit sprouted regarding point 1] the very fact this appears to be common knowledge regarding this team displays how poor their PR is…

• PoulWrist says:

But DO you recall correctly?

• Resonance says:

I put that there just to be on the safe side but a Google search indicates I am correct and this is that team, yes.

Also I changed my profile name and for some reason [I guess to be expected] it didn’t change on my old comment but this is indeed me…

17. itsallcrap says:

That first screenshot made me think for one beautiful moment that this was a full, native adaptation of Off-Road Velociraptor Safari. Sigh.

18. Teddy Leach says:

“And now, the Director’s Cut of Jurassic Park, with extra dinosaurs.”

19. Springy says:

Don’t cry for me, Argentinosaurus.

20. Andrige says:

Looks good but as always indie-multiplayer titles die just way too quickly these days.

• paterah says:

I was thinking the same thing and is why I was a bit afraid of buying Section 8. Granted, it was only $13 so I got it anyway but I’m afraid these indie MP games are forgotten 2 weeks post release.

21. BathroomCitizen says:

Finally a FPS where we move a bit faster than a snail’s pace!!!

Something is happening.

22. KlaxonOverdrive says:

But what is it a Prelude to? And who is this Orion they talk so much about?

23. Hatsworth says:

I love Dinosaurs and color and fairly fast movement!
    I hate the screen being covered up and extreme camera bobbing though. Hopefully it can be turned off, even if it affects balance..

24. wcanyon says:

This video made me think: Been a while since I’ve seen a new video about Hawken. What’s the state of Hawken?? Gimme. Giant. Mech. Fighting!

25. MrPants says:

That’s a lot more headbob than I like to see outside Prague.

26. DOLBYdigital says:

Nice to see this game coming along, like fast action FPS with jet packs, dinosaurs and bright colors. I remember this from long ago and its amazing how far they have come. The mod was fun so I’m looking forward to this. I actually like the head bob since it only seems to happen during running. It could probably be toned down just a tiny bit but I’m glad its in there since more games need slight camera motion.

27. max pain says:

Mmmmm…colors.

28. MrEvilGuy says:

again! I will cry if the T-Rex fail to become more aggressive than that.

Comment on this story