Scrubbing Up Nicely: DiRT 3 Launch Trailer

By Quintin Smith on May 25th, 2011 at 1:49 pm.

Hooray! Dark skies in gaming!

No one knows the need for speed better than yours truly. Why, many were the nights I’d stay up late to streak around the ring roads of Surrey in my Rover 200, the engine singing like a broken kettle, the exhausted speedometer showing speeds of 30 or even 40 miles per hour. Those were the days.

If you too are a bit of a speed demon, DiRT 3 might be for you. It’s out, and as you’ll see from the launch trailer below it’s more than a little pretty. Or, if you’d prefer, you could wait for Jim’s review later in the week later today!

What the hell is that car at 0:32?! I’m all for speed, but that looks very dangerous.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. syntax says:

Looks good, I like the lighting. Wether or not it is fun to play remains to be seen.
    Also, I’m never going to get to say this again, so…
    First!

2. Gucha says:

Quintin, it’s Hyundai Genesis PM580, a Pikes Peak prototype.

3. Jonathan says:

*sigh* The Dirt games are so good. Will have to get this as soon as payday comes.

• Jim Rossignol says:

It is really, very good, but I do have a major issue with this one. Well an issue. Minor really. But yeah.

Phinor says:

Is it the fact that there’s very little actual rally in this game? Just short single stages with plenty of copy/paste. Is it the menus that still take 50% of your gaming time?

It’s a very good game though. It’s easy to drive but still feels like you are driving an actual car. I just wish they had simply forgot how they designed the previous game and had designed this game with fresh ideas in mind.

• Sweedums says:

I too am a little frustrated at the length of the rally stages. 1-2 miles just isn’t long enough for the race to feel like anything significant in your career. The really annoying thing though is that i really love the driving, and so for that 90 seconds of rally, im having a ball… and then its over, and I have to navigate their overcomplicated/time consuming menu to jump in again.

why cant they just like, string all their rally tracks together into one multi-terrain/weather unworldly gauntlet of awesome and let me time trial that.

• Jonathan says:

@Sweedums

If I was a magical game maker person I would make a rallying game that procedurally generates tracks that go on for ever and ever and ever.

• Jonathan says:

And since I just came up with the name “Procedu-Rally” I am bound by Rule 1 to make this game immediately.

4. Cleggmeister says:

Gah, it looks so good and I spent yonks playing Dirt 2. BUT, the word on the street is that this is more Dirt 2.1 rather than Dirt 3. Mayhaps I’ll stick with Shift 2 a while longer and pick this up for pittance in a sale somewhere…

Looking forward to your review chaps.

• trjp says:

I love Dirt2 – but when you open-up Gymkhana and Drift stuff in this, you’ll not look back.
      Well you will – because Dirt2 is amazing – but so is this.
      First time I sat on the startline of a Gymkhana event, plotting a route around the drift cones, into the spin area, out sideways under the truck, over the jump pushing hard sideways around a donut marker – I felt amazing.
      2nd time was BETTER :)

El_MUERkO says:

what is not good is that song, it is bad, very bad, very bad indeed

• Alfius says:

There’s nothing wrong with a good indie record, but there is little worse than a whiny long haired wannabe talentlessly plucking two strings of a bass guitar which is what most indie seems to be these days.

Or am I imagining a time when there was any other sort of indie.

Oh wait this website is supposed to be about games. Oi Codies, give me Grid 2 or GTFO and don’t you dare release another game under the title “Operation Flashpoint” without due respect to that hallowed designation.

6. Dyst says:

I’ve been playing this 5ish hours now, and it’s -incredible.- It does everything that DiRT 2 does and then refines it and perfects it. On top of that, you have the fantastic weather system from F1 2010 that just feels amazing and can make a track feel totally different.

Got rid of that “douchey” X-Games “slick drift bro dude” aesthetic too, which is nice. It’s still in the Gymkhana stuff though and I was literally screaming at my monitor every time Christian Whats-his-face said something.

7. clem2k3 says:

I was playing this last night thinking to myself ‘This isnt really catching me like an exciting new game I’ve been waiting for months for should’
    Then i looked up and it was 2 hours later.
    Excellent game, pretty much as you’d expect really :)

8. Jake says:

Looks lovely, I just hope there isn’t loads of gymkhana at the expense of rally stages.

• trjp says:

There’s more rally than DIrt2 – but it does seem to be mostly short stages. I’m not that far in – perhaps they lengthen – but it’s not a hardcore rally game thusfar (which I approve of – I’m here for Rallycross and Drift and Gymkhana).

9. ulix says:

I’ve already played this (don’t ask why) and I’m annoyed by it. Why?

I recently bought NfS – Hot Pursuit, and it doesn’t run very good on my rig (apparently a 2.7 ghz Dual Core is to slow for it, when it suffices for 95% of all other console-ports).

This game on the other hand not only looks much, much better, no. It also runs as smooth as butter on high details.

So there… thats why I’m annoyed. Now I might have to buy this game.

• trjp says:

Here’s a thing – it unlocked from Steam, I ran it, it updated GFWL, restarted itself, ask for it’s key (pasted) and I played it.

That’s it – no options fuckery aboutery – I just played it.

2nd or 3rd race I pushed ‘Start’ and activated VSYNC (in-game – no quitting) and calmly continued – it looked better – I was happier.

That’s a first for me – a PC game which required NO fuckeryaboutery – my rig is nothing special (Amd Dual 3ghz, 4Gb anda 5670) and it looks fantastic too.

10. ulix says:

And another thing:

I’ve been fascinated by the menu design in all the Dirt games. Its utterly fantastic, in a very hip and modern way. More developers of sports- and racing games should try to emulate Codemaster’s achievements in creating slick, awesome looking menus.

• Axess Denyd says:

Menus that force you to spend way, way too long not actually playing the game?

No. Just….no.

GRID had good ones, though. But Dirt2 makes me want to punch the monitor every time he walks back into the trailer, then walks to the cars after I select something…..simple menus FTW.

• trjp says:

I like Dirt2’s trailer/paddock idea – this just has ‘spinning objects’ which open-up – and far too much chatter in the way of them…

• ulix says:

I didn’t mean “great menu” implying “user-friendly”, I was just talking about the optical design, the aesthetics.

11. changeling101 says:

I’m really enjoying Dirt 3 so far, having played number 2 to death, but I have to say that if “Christian” calls me his “amigoooooo” one more time i might get violent.

• trjp says:

There’s a shitload of chat upfront – you’ll be saying “just shut up and let me drive” for a while, but it slowly eases-off.

Codemasters seem to love putting ‘people’ into their games – where you could easily do without them entirely here…

• whydidyoumakemeregister says:

It seems like every racing game I’ve tried out lately (meaning years) has people talking to you. It’s completely pointless. Then there is this bizarre trend that thinks 12khz 8kbps MP3s are an acceptable format for storing dialogue audio, so instead of immersing me (or whatever they’re trying to do) they end up distracting me.

12. noom says:

Sat watching that thinking “Hey, that kinda sounds like Dinosaur Pile-Up”. And then it was. I am so great at musics.

13. Schmung says:

Yeah, it’s damm fun, but bloody hell the loading times are horrendous and the rally stages too short. Gymkhana is crap as well, but there’s not too much of it so not really bothered. Fun, but not ideal would be my verdict.