Red Faction: Armageddon Goes Eighties

By John Walker on May 26th, 2011 at 4:49 pm.

Aha!

Red Faction: Armageddon doesn’t appear to be taking itself very seriously. One of the unlockable modes in the forthcoming destruct-em-up will let things look like they’re in an ’80s music video. They’re calling it Sketch Mode, and say it “redefines comic mischief”, which seems an odd claim.

But, they say it’s “more than a fun way to play.” Apparently it “showcases the GeoMod 2.0 destruction technology in a whole new light, as entire colony buildings come crashing down on your enemies in black and white.” So just a fun way to play, then. The game is out on the 10th June, which is quite soon. You can watch the extremely silly trailer below.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. adonf says:

Are ripped jeans included ?

2. Squirrelfanatic says:

Staring eyes tag.

3. Dominic White says:

I played the 360 demo of this the other night. Any fears about it being less destruction-focused than the previous game were immediately dispelled. If anything, it’s even MORE about trashing the environment. Your default weapon is an infinite-ammo demolition tool, and you can’t get stuck as you’ve got a similarly unlimited repair beam that lets you regenerate walkways and other important structures you just blew up.

It’s more linear, definitely, but it encourages you to actually use the environment directly as a weapon more now. Grabbing a large chunk of concrete wall and bashing an alien in the face with it is fun.

4. Lewie Procter says:

That looks kind of ugly.
    And kind of not very much like the music video for take on me.

5. Kieron Gillen says:

THERE IS NOTHING SILLY ABOUT A-HA!

KG

6. Inigo says:

A 2011 computer game has a visual mode common to cheat codes in 1998 N64 games?
    THIS IS NEWSWORTHY!

7. feffrey says:

This is the only trailer I have actually liked for this game lol

• QuantaCat says:

Agree with you there, though from that documentary, the dev itself seems nice enough. Lets see what happens to the game.

8. Man Raised by Puffins says:

9. Felixader says:

It’s also called the cleavage trailer.

How i hat this.

And the destruction feels forced. Since everyone else is using pew pew weapons you kinda HAVE to be active to cause destruction instead of it beeing the result of furious and awesome battles.

10. tomeoftom says:

Man, the couple in the original video clip could have made their lives so much easier by just going /through walls/ to evade the police.

Also, unnecessary breasts.

• QuantaCat says:

Yes. every woman that wears armour obviously has to have cleavage.

I think thats the only reason there are no women in Brink. They’d all run around topless.

11. KauhuK says:

This game is not worthy of this song

12. Baggypants says:

NPRQuake was better.

• aequidens says:

Yes, that’s what I immediately thought of as well, I even used recorded bits of it as vj footage a few years back.

• Fartango says:

I did a search on youtube for “NPR Quake” Expecting a machina of Quake footage with audio from National Public Radio. I was disappointed. Garrison Keillor and Diane Rehm would make wonderful Quake contestants.

13. Alexander Norris says:

One of the things that bugged me about RF:G was that none of the buildings had functional doors.

The other was that they were a really shit guerrilla.

14. BunnyPuncher says:

I do like the art style. Maybe something a bit more crisp would be good but… man I like that :)

15. Protagoras says:

80s music is great, I don’t see why people bitch on it all the time.

Also, is it weird that after seeing the female ‘lead’ I had thoughts about marriage, a small house + garden, and lots of small mini me’s and her’s running around the house?

16. Redcoat-Mic says:

This is just a lazy grayscale view. If they were going for 80′s Aha video then it’d have been a more sketched view.

As it is, what’s funny about playing in black and white?

17. Nostromo says:

I think that the main pointer to it not taking itself seriously, is the fact that the PC demo is onlive exclusive… WTFlyingF

18. Doth Messar says:

That is the most amazing song ever.

19. Tannhauser says:

Someone at Volition really loves that song.

20. hamster says:

Don’t think the trailer nailed the 80′s MV feel at all. Catchy song though : )

21. airtekh says:

Hmm, kinda looks like Borderlands but without colour.

22. devtesla says:

> They’re calling it Sketch Mode, and say it “redefines comic mischief”, which seems an odd claim.
    Ha! Comic mischief is a content descriptor the ESRB uses for fart jokes and falling down stairs. Glad I’m not the only person who finds that funny.

23. Fumarole says:

But will it include pipe wrench fights?

24. Emil.BB says:

“Red Faction: Armageddon doesn’t appear to be taking itself very seriously. ”

Crap! I hate it when people don’t take themselves very seriously. Couldn’t think of anything worse actually.

Well, maybe that damn captain Johnson.

25. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Honestly this just makes me wish for a cheery destructive shooter to bopping great soundtrack… Which indulges in its violence without the grit, gloom and serious frowns..

26. Temple to Tei says:

Your voice is really annoying.
    There was a funny thing you said, though I cannot remember it.
    And in the game.

From the Toybox demo (one of the few mainstream games to have a demo recently):
    Yes lots of destruction. Really really impressive destruction. Far better than the last game in my opinion.
    Baddies take for-fucking-ever to die though. I’m probably just doing it wrong.

Yay, I’m a reviewer.

• Dominic White says:

The basic assault rifle does almost nothing to the enemies, I’ve noticed. Dropping half a ton of concrete on an enemy? Usually instantly lethal.

27. Urthman says:

Must…Show…Boobs…In…

…COLOR!

28. Teddy Leach says:

I’d actually love to see a full shooter in this graphic style.

29. MD says:

This is actually a really good trailer, I reckon. Silly, sure, but all trailers are silly. Most of them either aren’t aware of it, or beat you over the head with the fact that they are aware of it. This was fun, and the music was a great choice.

30. Moonracer says:

The David Bowie fan video was better.

31. bill says:

I have a vague memory that my ATI card settings software allows me to apply lots of these silly settings. I think I played around with it for 10 minutes a few years back and then mostly forgot about it.

Comment on this story