Seal The Deal: Space Marine Pre-Order Stuff

By Quintin Smith on May 27th, 2011 at 1:11 pm.

Is that a wedding invitation in the lower right? I DO TAKE YOU MRS SPACE MARINE TO BE MY WIFE / YOU MAY NOW WRESTLE THE BRIDE

You want to play Space Marine. I want to play Space Marine. We all want to play Space Marine.

But what if you want to do more than play Space Marine? What if you want to pre-order it for trinkets and exclusive crumbs of content? Relic has you covered. They’re even giving away hardware, for goodness sake. Thanks to RPS reader Mondo Mau for sending this in. Details after the jump.

I’ll address the hardware first. If you pre-order Space Marine using OnLive‘s cloud gaming service (buying what’s called a Full PlayPass for the game), you can get a free OnLive MicroConsole, allowing you to stream games to your TV, or a Full PlayPass for another game if you already have a MicroConsole. Madness.

The PC version of the Collector’s Edition you can see in the above image, meanwhile, will set you back $79.99 and features that 40K style seal you can see above, an art book, a soundtrack and a pack of “character information cards”.

EDIT: Hmm! German RPS reader Stefan Herold writes to say that by pre-ordering the game on the German Amazon page, you’ll get access to basically everything. Good news for Germans!

Then you’ve got the outlet-exclusive content. The following is pasted straight from THQ’s press release:

· The Emperor’s Elite Pack, only available at Gamestop, includes the unique Space Wolves and Black Templar chapter armor skins

· For players who prefer the nefarious forces of Chaos, The Traitor Legion Pack includes the complete armor sets for the Iron Warriors and Emperor’s Children and is only available at Best Buy.

· The Golden Relic Chainsword, the primary close combat weapon for Space Marines, is only available at Amazon.com

· The Golden Relic Bolter, a powerful ranged combat weapon, is only available at Walmart.

· PC Gamers can celebrate their love of the Dawn of War® series by donning themselves in the iconic red and bone colored armor of the Blood Ravens Chapter as well as receiving a FREE copy of Darksiders on PC when they pre-order the PC game through Steam.

· PC Gamers also have the choice of pre-ordering their copy of Space Marine through THQ’s E-Store to get an exclusive PowerSword weapon for multiplayer.

· Finally PC Gamers who choose to buy a digital copy of Space Marine through select digital retailers will be offered a FREE copy of Darksiders on PC.

The Golden Relic Bolter, only available at Walmart! When will this end? It’s getting to the point where I want to buy games after they’re released just on principal.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Azradesh says:

That looks like the 360 version to me Quintin. :P

• Quintin Smith says:

Oops. I’ll fix that, you email me another cup of coffee.

• nayon says:

Yeah, I was going to say that too. I bet he’s frantically searching for an image of the PC version right now, but no one cares about PC games so I’m not sure if there is any.

• Quintin Smith says:

Sorted. I even named the new image after you!

• JohnH says:

Lovely filename :P

• Rei Onryou says:

I don’t think that’s how you spell Azradesh.

• Azradesh says:

How did you know my real name?! :O

• Kollega says:

In the name of everything holy and then some, i shall now hijack this particular comment series to inform everyone: the article contains a very inaccurate – nay, false – statement. There are people who don’t want to play Space Marine. I’m one of them, for example.

• tameimpala says:

This is so win

2. UW says:

Do you have a bunch of puns prepared for different games? Or do they just come to you when the story arrives?

Or are you selective about the stories you run with based on whether or not you can come up with a pun?

3. jealouspirate says:

All these different types of “collectors” editions, pre-order bonuses and unique content for retailers really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It reminds me of TV infomercials; “But wait, that’s not all! If you order in the next 15 minutes, we’ll throw in this [random piece of junk] at absolutely no cost- a $30 value! Call now, limited time only!”. I’ll just take the game, thanks. Those are getting expensive enough as it is.

• thegooseking says:

I’ll just take the game, thanks. Those are getting expensive enough as it is.

I’m not sure how you can say that. While a lot of things are twice the price they were 20 years ago thanks to inflation, games have ignored inflation and are the same price they were 20 years ago (and that’s not even considering ludicrous Steam sales). How are games “getting expensive”?

• Balm says:

May have something to do with the fact that 14 years ago Quake2 sold 1 million of copies over the year after release, while CoDBlOps sold 7 million copies in first day of sales.

• thegooseking says:

It’s certainly true that the market is growing, and has grown a lot, and perhaps that’s how prices can stay stable and ignore inflation, but I don’t think it’s why.

You also have to factor in that AAA games cost about sixteen times as much to produce now as they did in 1994 (going by the rule of thumb that AAA development costs roughly double each console generation).

• Balm says:

I’d say today’s AAAs spend about sixteen times as much on marketing.

• aerozol says:

I like looking at a nice special edition, I don’t find anything wrong with it.
      I wont buy it, but I like to think that the odd rich person supports the industry +1 by shelling out extra for the special edition.
      Day 1 DLC though… That’s a different story.

4. Ertard says:

Have you written anything about OnLive? Like tested it out? Can’t find anything when I search, and it would be interesting to hear your opinion.

I tried it out yesterday to test the Red Faction Armageddon demo, and I was slightly shocked. Maybe my settings were all wrong, but on a 100/100 mbit connection it looked like a 480p Youtube video, that didn’t even manage to hold 30 FPS all the time. It was absolutely terrible. The input lag was manageable however.

5. Axyl says:

Lame! I already have Darksiders.
    I don’t live in the USA so there is no Walmart here.
    Why can’t i just buy one single pre-order pack that includes ALL of these bonuses. I’d happily even pay slightly more.
    I hate missing content because of where i buy the game from. It’s not even like I can choose from the full range of options.
    Still, I simply could not be more excited about the game itself. I’ve been waiting my whole life to play this. :D

*Edit* I wish THQ/Relic would stop giving away Darksiders as a pre-order gift. I remember where i got mine from…
    From Pre-ordering Chaos Rising a year or 2 ago. ><

• Lewie Procter says:

“Why can’t i just buy one single pre-order pack that includes ALL of these bonuses. I’d happily even pay slightly more”

Because they have done deals with all the various retailers so that they make more money.

• Phinor says:

Brilliant deals too. The shop wins (questionable), the publisher wins (fact), only the customer loses but who cares about him/her/it!

• TormDK says:

• mouton says:

The customer doesn’t lose. He can ignore the bonus content, as it is entirely optional.

• Wilson says:

@mouton – Unless, you know, the customer wants all the possible content for the game. Personally, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want to able to get both a Power Sword and Blood Ravens chapter armour without buying the game from two places. Because people who buy the game are assumedly going to plan on enjoying the game, and so they’re likely to want as much content as they can get, right? Which means you could predict that people might be disappointed when they’re running around the game being constantly reminded of all the neat content they don’t have whenever someone shoots them with a Golden Bolter, even if they did get a Power Sword, or certain armour.
      It’s not the end of the world, but it’s a bit annoying. The customer certainly doesn’t benefit from it, and if they want more than one piece of the special content they lose.

• DeathHamsterDude says:

@TormDK

‘As a zealous Black Templar fan, that isn’t about to go to GameSpot (Whatever the company that has the skin is called) I must ask THQ’s sense of business to let me toss my hard earned euroes after them so that they may provide me with the pre-order bonus of my choice after initial release.

Otherwise I will be forced to declare them heratics against the god-emperor of man!’

THIS! SO MUCH THIS!

I hate those ‘nilla Smurfs! And honestly, the Blood Ravens? Pfhhh, they bore me. Now the mighty Templars? Hell yes my son! I have to be able to play as them. I might even stoop to Gamestop if I have to, although I haven’t bought a flesh-and-cardboard game for ages.

No pity! No remorse! No fear!

6. Tom OBedlam says:

My only encounter with pre-order bonuses thus far has been New Vegas, as far as I’m aware. Before I’d even booted the game up a friend emailed the .esp files to give me all the content. Is it that easy to get pre-DLC for most games or not? Either way its seems like a baffling move. I’m fairly certain I’m not the only person who will be getting the game from the cheapest source and will be extremely disappointed if I can’t play as Space Wolves in multiplayer.
    Power swords and relic bolters I’m not too fussed about because real men wear lightning claws or carry thunder hammers.

• Quintin Smith says:

Myself and the guy reviewing New Vegas for PC Gamer had the same amazing experience with all that free DLC gear. It kicked in the second the game unlocked, and since we’d been playing it before it officially unlocked we were both just hiking through the wasteland when 200kg of weaponry and equipment materialised in our pockets, rooting us to the ground. So surreal.

• Tom OBedlam says:

Yeah my experience was similar as I began the game unable to stand up from the Doc’s couch. I thought, “Wow, thats a brave move from Obsidian, they’ve created a game that begins with my character being shot in the head and so severely brain damaged that I shall be spending the next 80 hours of gameplay incapacitated.”

7. westyfield says:

THQ announced retailer-exclusive pre-order bonuses for Space Marine, and no tosses were given.

8. Jorum says:

So nots much for extra $40. Who wants an artbook? not as if there is a lack of WH40K images out there.
    And any big enough WH40K nerd to want a purity seal should by rights already have made their own (ahem).
    And character cards? This is warhammer 40K so I assume they are all “X is an X, he/she/it is badass and kills things”

9. Icarus says:

[Two days ago]

Icarus: “Oh, cool, it’s available to pre-order on Steam? I’ll do that then because I am lazy and getting to my nearest Game costs a fiver in bus tickets”

Steam: “Oops!
    An error was encountered while processing your request:
    This item is currently unavailable in your region”

Icarus: “FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUU-”

-fin-

10. Jonathan says:

I want the game, but I don’t want to have to slaughter 10,000 lovely orks. :(

11. Mike_from_the_internet says:

Oh by the way guys.. have you seen the most unprofessionalist and dumbest “article” about Space Marine yet?

• 4026 says:

I had a feeling that might get mentioned.

Oblig. related Penny Arcade strip.

• jon_hill987 says:

Does that chap also have a job with Apple deciding who they should sue for patent infringement?

• Tom OBedlam says:

This particular PA has been my favourite comic strip for years, I even have it printed out and stuck above my desk :)

• MrMud says:

Wow, jaw on floor.

• moonwalker says:

Eh. The author wrote an apolgy longer than the dumb article :-)

• MrMud says:

The apology was still stupid.

• DevilSShadoW says:

That piece should be republished on RPS with a healthy dose of RPS specific tongue-in-cheek. Please make it happen!

• JackShandy says:

“The combat in Gears is very focused on taking cover because you die if you don’t do it.”

Ladies and gentlemen, Games Journalism!

• sonofsanta says:

The blood spatters are also quite similar. The guns shoot in a similar fashion

INVESTERGATIV JERNALISM!

• The Codicier says:

the most unbelievable thing in that article has to be the line
      “I’ve been doing that professionally for around 15 years”

the only question remains is did he spend all those 15 years with his head stuck up his own ass or what?

& yes 4026 that PA strip sums it up nicely, we can only hope tycho catches wind of that article & that it time to fire up the FEAR ENGINE!

• Commisar says:

argh, need to burn heretics rising

12. Baka says:

…that’s bizzare.

• Tom OBedlam says:

Not really, I’ve seen Bowling for Columbine :)

• Temple to Tei says:

No, it is quite common. Wal-mart sells guns.
      Shame Asda doesn’t.

• jon_hill987 says:

I would rather they sold guns in Sainsbury’s so I can defend myself from the kind of people that shop in Asda. And Lidl.

• Tengil says:

Hahaha! “Ironic” class hatred. What a card.

13. DevilSShadoW says:

I may get tarred and feathered for this but here’s what I’ll do:
    I’ll buy whichever version of the game i can get my greedy little paws on (probably the steam version) and the ill look for some hack that enables all DLC. I /would/ buy a pack with all of it included if they do intend to sell one. But if not then i consider it their loss.

• makute says:

This.
      Also, all the “exclusives” will become regular drop after a few months, so…

Also also, Space Wolves, hmmm…

• f4Ri says:

Indeed. As long as the stuff is purely cosmetic I see no harm in hacking the crap out of those dlc’s.

• Davie says:

You make a reasonable argument.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Who knows, maybe they will allow you to get all dlc eventually. I mean, that’s what happened to DoW 2 Retribution, and that’s also from THQ.

14. AbyssUK says:

You scream, I scream, come and get space marine!

Much better pun title…

15. Kandon Arc says:

Does the Gamestop preorder bonus apply to Impulse now as well? If so I might just have to get there. Oh and here’s hoping I can play through the single player as anything other than an Ultramarine.

16. TXinTXe says:

That “special” edition is a shame. The witcher 2′s normal one was like a million times better and with more content. :P

17. The JG Man says:

Since the LE edition cropped up, I’ve been unable to find Space Marine on Steam’s catalogue in the UK. Anyone else? As for pre-ordering it…I’ll always try and get it cheapest and whilst I love DD, I still rather like having the physical product. That being said, is Darksiders good on the PC? I already have and completed the console version twice, but if I get it free I can always pass it on to a friend.

Also, play Darksiders. It’s a fantastic game.

• Bilbo says:

It looks like getting this nice version in the UK will be a struggle. And Steam are denying it exists. We aren’t likely to get any of the cool exclusives.
      Damn it Quintin that’s the real story here

• The JG Man says:

A quick look on GAME seems to reveal the LE. Bizarrely, costs the same amount as the console versions (£80, although that could just be initial listing price). You can pre-order the standard version for £30. For the same price, you can also get the “Elite Armour Pack”, which I imagine is one of the pre-order deals. On Play for £35, you can get the standard with ‘Golden Chainsword’ PO bonus. No Limited edition PC version on Play, but the 360 one was listed for £90. Amazon lists the PC version at £30, but no listing for its LE. I found the PS3 one and that was listed at £80. No obvious pre-order deals on Amazon though.

I hate this pre-ordering nonsense.

• Bilbo says:

So it does. £80 for a PC game isn’t ever going to happen, though.

• The JG Man says:

Right. And if it does, I wouldn’t pay that much for an LE.

• Bilbo says:

Think I’d sooner spend £30 on the game and £50 on dinner and beers or even better, some 40k models. Make my own LE :P

18. MonkeyMonster says:

top trumps with space marines might be bit boring
    human fingers on left hand – 5 : 3 – fuckit
    real eyeballs – 2 : 2 – draw
    purity seals – 2 : 4 – bite my shiney metal ass
    orcs killed – 45,837 : 45, 834 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

19. Mr_Hands says:

After what happened with the collector’s edition of DoW II Retribution, I won’t be bothering with the THQ store.

Plus, considering the fact that on day one, Steam had all the exclusives up for purchase, it was a pretty bitter pill to swallow, since my copy wouldn’t arrive until a month later.

20. Ergates_Antius says:

Final proof that Best Buy are in league with Chaos. Burn the heretics.

21. poop says:

our superior currency is making the USD its bitch and they think they can get away with charging $90us for this game on steam, boo

22. frenz0rz says:

Oh hell, they’re still doing this? I remember playing my friend at Empire: Total War and getting endlessly frustrated at his overpowered unique units that he’d got by preordering from Amazon or something.

Dont get me wrong, if people are willing to pay extra for different skins and such I really dont mind. But when it impacts on my multiplayer experience, and I am essentially punished for not having preordered the game, it has overstepped the line.

23. Kent says:

I really want this game and I’m a big fan of Warhammer. This might be the first time I’d buy a collectors edition (save for accidentally buying TES IV deluxe edition and The Witcher), but on the other hand I know absolutely nothing about the game it might suck despite having the most awesome premise ever.

They could either make the game too short, too shallow, too easy or too hard. So like everything can go wrong with the game especially considering this is Relics first FPS. I just hope there’s a collectors edition after I’ve heard what the critics say about the game because I refuse buying an expensive Warhammer game that might ruin my experience with the universe!

24. Telke says:

In New Zealand (and Australia, likely) Space Marine is $90 USD on Steam. that’s ridiculous, but at this point it seems to be par for the course for THQ. looks like street retailers are getting my money.

• mouton says:

So Steam is becoming expensive even down under? For years Steam was actually the cheap option in Oz, or so I heard. Sad, really.

• drewski says:

Steam’s been ridiculously expensive for new releases in Australia for about 3 years. Ever since they got big enough that publishers started bothering forcing them into regional pricing agreements, Steam versions have retailed on release at pretty similar prices to Australian retail – so A$70-90.

Fortunately most titles drop the regional pricing sooner or later, letting Australians buy at the US Steam price after 6 months to a year. I’d expect this to do the same.

It’s all about maximising the revenue from the consumer. If you want it on release in Australia, you pay the price the Australian market has proven it will support. Or you import a physical copy from the EU, like anyone with a brain does. Doesn’t make much sense to buy, say, Brink at A$90 from EB Games or Steam when you can get it online from the EU for A$38.

25. BobbleHat says:

They missed a trick by not including a limited edition miniature that later fetches £20+ on Ebay.

26. Sceptrum says:

Hope there is a demo, but not holding my breath. Would love to test it out before deciding wether to buy it for the PC or PS3 or not at all.

27. bleeters says:

Something about strapping an Ultramarine into traitor/other chapter power armour makes me cry a little inside.

More so than them seemingly just plain not wanting to sell any of it to UK players, even.

• subedii says:

The multiplayer is apparently Space Marines vs Chaos Space Marines, so that’s what the skins are for.

• bleeters says:

Oh, well. Fair enough then.

28. Daiv says:

Fortunately listening to me bellow “FOR THE EMPEROR!” and “BURN, HERETIC!”* while playing DoW2 co-op with my long-time gaming crony has prepared my wife for the inevitable increase in shouting that will accompany the release of Space Marine.

*Also, “BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!” because why waste a good battle-cry?

29. amandachen says:

principal/principle

30. BSG11 says:

WH40K merch is basically non-existent since GW close down that division. Had the box set included a metal aquila pin instead of a purity seal, I think even I’d have taken the bait, and I refuse to buy boxed games these days. Purity seals are relatively easy to make, an aquila pin’s easily and reasonably worth $20 or more alone.

The Emperor Protects.

• Cradok says:

Yeah, I want some sort of pin badge – preferably a Tanith one – and I’ve been watching eBay for them, and they rarely go for less than $40. I don’t want one that much. I wish GW or BL would get back into doing that stuff.

31. Starayo says:

90USD on Australian steam store, THQ can get fucked. They’re not getting a cent of my money ever again.

• Rii says:

Yeah, Steam is pretty funny. I visited the store a few minutes back to check survey data and saw Brink for USD $90. Or maybe I’ll order it from OzGameShop for $35 delivered instead. Wankers.

• mouton says:

But, but, you get friends list and achievements! And your Steam games list will be now more than 300! Also installing the game manually is very hard! Steam is totally worth twice the price, it is!!!

32. Jake says:

I want to be an Emperor’s Children! What’s a Best Buy?

• Cradok says:

Noise Marines! Woo!

Best Buy is a US electronics store. They do music, games, DVDs, cameras, the whole lot.

• Jake says:

Ever since I was young I wanted to be a gigantic rock n’ roll futuristic space pervert – Emperor’s Children are the best.

Oh apparently we do have Best Buy in the UK, I had no idea.

33. D says:

People still pre-order? How do you know if the game is shit before paying?

• TormDK says:

“People still pre-order? How do you know if the game is shit before paying?”

The foolish man puts his trust in luck, the wise man puts his trust in the Emperor.

• Daiv says:

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

34. Davie says:

Yeah. I really hate this whole retailer exclusivity thing. I don’t want to ever give Walmart my money for any reason, and now I miss out on the awesome bolter. I’d preorder the damn game–hell, even the collector’s edition, if it came with all of that stuff. I should be able to let my previous experiences with a retailer decide who I’m going to buy from, not these stupid incentives.

35. Truck_Rockpec says:

I don’t get it, StarCraft II came out quite awhile ago. Why release a collector’s edition now?

36. Rath says:

Lack of GFWL signage in that image makes me pleased.

• Vinraith says:

THQ went pure Steamworks with DoW2′s second expansion, I assume that’s still the case here. I’m not wild about Steamworks, but it beats the tar out of GfWL anyway.

• Rath says:

Does that mean that I can somehow get a GFWL-less version of the complete DoW2 now?

• Vinraith says:

Sadly no, no it doesn’t. They haven’t gone back and retroactively removed it from the earlier games, which for some baffling reason are saddled with BOTH Steamworks AND GfWL.

• The Hammer says:

I hear DOW2 vanilla players and those who have Retribution can’t play multiplayer together? Is that true?

• Vinraith says:

I don’t know for certain, but since DOW2′s multplayer is on GfWL and Retribution’s MP is on Steam’s systems I rather doubt the two can play together.

• The Hammer says:

Ugh, thanks Vinraith.

Cross-functional play was one of the reasons why the original DOW was so great. Sad to hear it’s not the same for the sequel.

• Rath says:

If Relic and Steam would get together and do a deal for a GFWL-free complete DoW2 with complete multiplayer compatibility ensured, that was discounted when pre-ordered with Space Marine, I couldn’t sign up fast enough.

• Vinraith says:

@The Hammer

One of the downsides of going with outside MP-providers, I suppose. On the up side, no GfWL, on the down side, no cross-game-MP (I assume).

37. Vinraith says:

It’s funny, I’ve actually avoided preordering games I knew I’d buy new (Mass Effect 2 and Dawn of War 2: Retribution spring to mind) so as to avoid overpowered pre-order bonuses. I’m sure this nonsense is a smart business move, but it makes no sense to me to construct a carefully balanced game and then slap in a preorder item that is better than anything you can get in the game and makes the entire exercise a total cakewalk.

• Jake says:

Couldn’t agree more – for the me the worst was Dragon Age: Origins, which came with Blood Dragon Armour in the collectors edition that meant that you would totally ignore all armour drops for most of the game, and the pre-orders gave a ring that gave +1% experience which essentially just makes the game easier. Utterly pointless.

It does look like here a lot of the bonuses are multiplayer ones though right? I can’t imagine they will let you play through the single player campaign in a Chaos skin. So I would be fine getting that.

• The Hammer says:

Yeah, I agree with this.

It’s not so much extra items I detest – though I like my collector’s edition stuff to be mostly out-of-game, and if possible physical; Oblivion’s coin being a favourite of mine – but the maze of separate incentives wheeled out from all the different outlets.

I was cool with bog-standard (heh) limited editions, but the pre-order editions, and all that malarkey? Ugh. DA2 had about four different special editions, didn’t it?

• UnravThreads says:

Uh, Jake, Blood Dragon Armour wasn’t a collector’s edition bonus. Like “The Stone Prisoner”, it came in all new copies of Dragon Age: Origins, whether you pre-ordered, bought it on release day or even bought the Ultimate Edition. Aside from the fact it was ugly and crap, you couldn’t use it until about level 7 or 8, even if you pumped all your points each level into strength, so it hardly allowed you to “miss armour drops in most of the game”. The armours that did allow that were the two plate ones from Warden’s Keep and Return to Ostagar.

• Jake says:

Oh sorry, my memory is rubbish. I still think it was a bad idea though – didn’t it also vendor for a load of gold? Anyway all I am saying is I don’t like getting things that make the game easier or effectively shorter, and I would avoid buying any pre-order that came with anything that gave me an advantage (especially if it was +experience in an RPG).

• UnravThreads says:

You were only given the chest piece, and it vendored for about 3g 60s. At the start, sure, it’s a nice little boost, but it didn’t make or break the game in any form. The rest of the pieces had to be found and then bought.

38. SenatorKerry says:

I really want all the good looking packages and books and whatnot, but I also really want the free copy of Darksiders. Hrm, decisions decisions.

39. alm says:

OnLive console for free? :)

But only works in USA? :(

I was tempted for a second…

40. Armante says:

Sorry, but not at the price they’re asking for this on Steam. Too rich for me. I’ll have all three Brothers in Arms games for $10 instead thanks! :)

41. AOClaus says:

This is why I never felt bad when the links for exclusive content on Xbox were leaked after a game came out. There should, at some point, be a way to get ALL of this stuff.