Steam Says: You Can Pay £2.50 For Far Cry 2

By Quintin Smith on May 27th, 2011 at 11:10 am.

Man Vs. Village! It's the ultimate crossover battle!

I’m not going to lie, there are some perks to this job. One of them is that if I want to say “Look! Look, everybody! Far Cry 2 is, for the next few hours only, £2.50 on Steam! You should buy it, because it’s really good!” Then nobody can stop me. Not even you, guy who hated Far Cry 2 and is reading this right now. You are powerless.

EDIT: Turns out the deal is for UK and America only, and Europeans are still getting a price of €7.50. Europeans I am so sorry.

I know some people didn’t get along with Far Cry 2, and they cite checkpoints, overly aggressive AI and more besides as reasons that it’s a terrible game. But some people, like me and, apparently, every games developer I follow on Twitter, felt that it was an utterly transporting experience that produced breathtaking gunfights and moments of high drama with incredible regularity. Which group will you fall into? Who knows. But at £2.50, it’s a risk you’d be mad not to take. Buy this game, pop it onto its highest difficulty setting to enhance the realism that game works so hard to simulate and just see whether you have the time of your life.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Valvarexart says:

That’s 2.50 for Far Cry, and 7.50 for Far Cry TWO

2. JYzer says:

“Not even you, guy who hated Far Cry 2 and is reading this right now. You are powerless.” We’ll get you next time Gadget Smith! Next tiiiiiiiime.

3. Kamikaze-X says:

Yet another game I now have to play in my growing pile of games that have to be played.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME RPS?!

• President Weasel says:

I logged into Steam to buy this, while making that exact same grumble about yet another game I will buy from Steam and not get around to playing.
      Steam would not let me buy it, because it turns out I already bought it in a Steam sale and never got around to playing it.

4. Teddy Leach says:

It’s a bloody marvellous game. I’ll never understand the hate for it.

• 4026 says:

I understand the hate.

But it’s still a bloody marvellous game.

• StingingVelvet says:

I really loved it as well, though the respawning enemies ARE annoying.

• Teddy Leach says:

I felt they could have respawned a bit slower, but fortunately I found the guns an utter joy to use.

• 4026 says:

Man, mod tools would have been great.

I’d have loved a mod that just let you go off on a big game hunt, bringing back rare animal carcasses for diamonds.

What? Sometimes it’s nice to spend a relaxing five minutes where they don’t shoot back.

• woodsey says:

I found on my second go it helped if I was in a very particular mind-set before I played it.

It is good, but the frustrations are very frustrating.

• Pop says:

I think FarCry 2 is probably one of the best seriously flawed games there are (to hijack a phrase Edge used of Mass Effect).

It could be so beautiful, and then you’d get run over by a land rover. It could be so intense, and then you’d get hit by a mortar.

In fact there are very few ordinary grunts in games I have hated as much as the guy with the mortar in the middle of the lake in south! It’s quite an achievement that a perfectly ordinary AI agent could wind me up so much! He deserves a name! He deserves a medal! In fact he deserves an achievement!

How on earth could he spot me sneaking through dense jungle foliage from 2 miles away?! How could he land mortars on my head with such precision?!

Just trying to take him out was a mission and a half! I remember trying to storm his little island: I’d get there, the foliage was too thick so I could never find him, some how he’d get lucky and blow my boat up and I’d be left there trying to hunt the bastard down before yet another patrol boat turned me into mince meat! He still haunts me in my dreams. That bloody whistling sound before mortar hits…

Oh, and lets not forget the corrupted save games! In this day and age?! This is the first game in the last 10 years where I’ve employed a save strategy that would minimise the impact of a corrupt save file!

And the bloody “friendly” AI! I spent hours hunting around for a downed friend because his bloody “don’t leave me here!” spiel kept playing! Unhelpfully it didn’t attenuate with distance, so it took a very thorough search of the current battlefield to realise he’d been downed on the way there! Egit!

*FROTH* *FROTH* *FROTH*

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to the sequel.

• Magnetude says:

@Pop That guy saved my arse the first time I encountered him. I’d just started the third act and was trying to sneak through a checkpoint by the lake with a straw-roofed hut as a guard post. Sniped a couple of guards, easy peasy, snuck into the hut while the others were looking for me in the grass to stock up on water and medkits – WHEN SUDDENLY a mortar hits the roof, straw flies everywhere, everything is on fire and exploding and a handful of angry guards are running at me.

I whip out the uzi, hold them off while I heal behind a rock, pop back up and mop up the last couple. Job done. I stride through the flaming wreckage of the hut, reloading, only to hear a jeep full of guys racing up behind me. Oh shit. But I have the SAW on me.

I pull out the massive machinegun, start firing and… it jams. As the floaty arms on the screen pound helplessly on the weapon to try and get it working again, the guys pull up right in front of me, get out of the jeep and are instantly pulverised by a mortar.

Here’s to you, mortar guard. You were always harsh, but never unfair.

• Iokanaan says:

nice display of storytelling you got there, Magnetude. I was enthralled. thank you.

• MajorManiac says:

I love Farcry 2 for what it achieves, but I also hate it for what it only just fails to achieve.

• Pop says:

@Magnetude You see? The Lord of the Lake sees you wherever you go! Awesome post though, makes me want to give it another go.

Ah, I do miss the floaty arms! They were so versatile! I always remember the first time they snapped a finger back into place.

• MikoSquiz says:

Oh, it *looks* great. It’s wonderful to take a wander around. But even with that wonderful fire it doesn’t manage to recapture what made the first one work, and there’s just far too many awful, ruinous flaws for it to possibly be described as ‘acceptable’ or better. It’s a noble failure, a fantastic fiasco.

• Arglebargle says:

Beautiful game engine. Horribly flawed game. Not to say you can’t really like it, of course. I have my own list of bad games that I still manage to enjoy (I’m talkin’ ’bout you, MoO3!). But they dropped the ball so seriously in so many ways. Design failure all the way!

The worst being no modding tools, which could have let players fix all the screwy design decisions they ended up making.

5. Jumwa says:

Checkpoints? Aggressive AI? Highest difficulty?! You scare me with your talk!

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Highest difficulty setting does sound a bit like masochism. I liked it on normal, or whatever “fair to middling” setting was called.

• arccos says:

It really just requires a different play style for hard. You have to plan the attacks in advance and figure out what you’re escape routes are. I got pretty good with stealth attacks and camping to snipe. I think more people would have understood what was so great about the game if hard was actually the default difficulty.

Its a somewhat boring shooter on Normal, since you can just pretty much shoot everyone in the face.

• Jumwa says:

Safe to say if that’s the way to enjoy this game, and it has checkpoints (no saves) then this is not a game I would enjoy at all.

• Jason Moyer says:

They added “save anywhere” to the PC version, although imho it would have been a better game without it. Kind of defeated the purpose of having safe houses.

6. felisc says:

Nice screenshot

• MonolithicTentacledAbomination says:

Is that a Far Cry 2 screen? I don’t recall anywhere that looked like that.

• Fumarole says:

It’s from the second area around the middle of the map. I think the first mission you have there is to assassinate some bigwig in that village. Lots of armed dudes in there with only one real way out on foot.

• bigblack says:

Only one way out… unless you find the small rock path at the village rear, and wind your way upward until you run up on one of the rare hang-glider spots, with which you can fly away through a narrow ravine with waterfall(s). GLORIOUS.

7. Koojav says:

7,50€ (£6.5) on Steam for me…

8. Mashakosha says:

I didn’t LOVE it but I didn’t hate it either. It was very pretty though, I’ll give it that.

9. gorgol says:

It was allright. Worth trying. But didn’t have much medium/long term appeal for me. I enjoyed it for a few days and and then lost interest.

10. McDan says:

Just what I was waiting to hear to push me over to edge into buying it, cheer iron Quinns.

11. Icarus says:

I got this a while ago in another Steam sale, and I’d say it’s definitely worth the asking price- my only niggle is that the actually-quite-nice driving is constantly interrupted by either enemy patrols or running into a guard post every couple of minutes.

• G_Man_007 says:

As annoying as it is, just make sure you’re driving a truck with a mounted gun, and you stand a better chance.

• Quintin Smith says:

The other thing that ruins the qdriving is, of course, the fact that your poison car kills any animals it even nudges against. I will never forget the horror of watching that gazelle crumple to the earth after I brushed it with my wingmirror.

• Terragot says:

Qdriving is now a reference to Quintin’s driving ability, in which he chugs along at 5 mph in a Mr. Magoo like state, slowly ploughing down stationary gazelles and beavers. Oh, Quins! You’ve done it again!

• AndrewC says:

If the animals made a solid, staisfying THONK as you hit them, nothing else would ever get done in the game. Animal death nerf!

• Ninja Dodo says:

Weirdly enough, I found mounted turrets to be completely useless. Melee was more effective than those things. I think I could have loved this game if only it had had neutral NPCs and less respawning.

And less getting run over.

• StranaMente says:

The problem is really there, all you do in the game is take a vehicle and get to the other side of the world with neverending ever-respawning enemies at every crossroads (or/and in other vehicles) and ludicrously distant save points.
      The story is almost absent and there are only three types of missions.
      You can enjoy the discovery channel effect only for a while.
      Then becomes boring.
      Then becomes utterly frustrating.

• AndrewC says:

The journey is the game. The missions are just things to get to. Played on hardest, all that ‘plans going wrong’ stuff forcing you into increasingly desperate improvisation leads to endlessly exciting tense and atmospheric shooter goodness. Oh and ignore the plot! Its just a ‘day in the life of a mercenary’ simulator. Honest.
      So, yes, you’re playing it ‘wrong’, but it is still slightly shonky design that it doesn’t really tell you the way it wants to be played. As per Jim’s link to his article below, it’s open world design tells the player it is a sandbox you can play it however you like, but the underneath design wants you to play in a very particular way. and doesn’t tell you.
      If you find that ‘right’ way of playing it though it is glorious!

• YourMessageHere says:

As this is the version with the expansion, in addition to the nice explosive-bolt crossbow, silenced shotgun and pistol-slot sawnoff, you get a Unimog with a machinegun. That is a considerable improvement on the basic Landrover, in durability and handling, and also ability to traverse rough terrain. There’s a quad bike too.

12. Smi says:

I must confess I got this for £2.50 in the last round of sales – and haven’t yet found the time to play it. I keep telling myself later, later, later. But life…it gets in the way!

13. G_Man_007 says:

All that stuff was annoying, but the game was still good, a solid shooter, a great environment, and if I didn’t already have it, I’d pick it up for that song. Being able to flush out or kill people with bush fires, or even fuck up and have the fire flush you out, was awesome. I want to play it again actually, now that I have the Fortunes pack, I want to go all Javier Bardem with a silenced shotgun… >:D

14. westyfield says:

Argh, exams are on and games are cheap! I already bought Plain Sight due to its being cheap and your extolling of its virtues, now you want me to buy FC2 as well?
    FINE.

15. Moni says:

Funnily, the overly aggressive AI is what made me fall in love with the game. It’s what gave me that real sense that I was in a hostile environment, where everything was trying to kill me.

• Quintin Smith says:

There is that, yeah. I had a sort of eureka moment when I realised I could just creep past checkpoints. Especially so when you buy the camo vest.

• 4026 says:

THERE WAS A CAMO VEST THAT LET YOU CREEP PAST CHECKPOINTS?

• Quintin Smith says:

Haha. The game just has functional stealth mechanics. If you crouch and move through tall grass, it’s unlikely people will spot you at a distance. The camo vest is just something you can (eventually) buy from the shop which boosts this a bit. In theory. In practice it’s impossible to tell if it does anything.

• Mistabashi says:

Sort of. It worked pretty well provided your enemies were on foot, however there was some slightly wonky NPC detection where vehicles were involved – they seemed to develop 360-degree x-ray vision as soon as they got behind the wheel, rather than looking at where they were driving as you might expect.

• Jesse L says:

To be fair, the player also has an incredibly developed ear for hostile engine revving.

rr-ROOOMM!

I began to like that sound, and look forward to it, the first time I blew up a jeep with a grenade launcher. So satisfying.

• Dominic White says:

One thing I found funny is that so many of the people who hated the game cited ‘omniscient AI’ and ‘impossible stealth’ among the reasons.

These people are bloody stupid. Yes, if you stand out in the open and fire a huge fuckoff gun, people will spot you and shoot you. If you put a solid obstacle between you and your enemy, make a noise in one direction and quietly move in the other, 90% of the time, the enemy will move towards the noise.

The AI isn’t omniscient. It can just see and hear as well as you can, and reacts based on that.

• Malibu Stacey says:

I haven’t played the 2nd game yet but it worked exactly as Dominic describes in the first game too.
      I played most of the first game practically as a stealth game using the silenced SMG for close range killing or the sniper rifle to pick off targets at distance. Seeing as how large the maps were & the amount of stuff hidden around them it made more sense to often not charge straight at the objective but rather take a back route in.

• Quintin Smith says:

@Jesse L

In the weeks we spent playing the game, my flatmate and I used to impersonate that revving noise whenever the other was making dinner or whatever.

• Jesse L says:

I haven’t played the game since it came out, but just thinking about that sound still gives me warface.

• YourMessageHere says:

@ Dominic

I wish you’d tell the mortar crews they aren’t omniscient. They didn’t get that memo.

Case in point: the Dogon village. I had been past before, so when I got the mission to go and kill the commander guy who was holed up there, I knew the best approach was going to be climbing up the opposite hill from behind and sniping the sod, or failing that, as many of his friends as possible.

So, I retrieve my Dragunov and spend a good 15 minutes looking around for a way to get up there, eventually going on an extended detour that lets me get pretty high up. By this time, it’s dusk. Keeping low and out of sight, I get my binocs out and case the joint – no sign that anyone has any idea I’m here. Comparing the map and the view, the guy’s not visible, but I reckon if I creep my way around a little further, I should be able to see him.

I stay low, and edge my way slowly through a bush. Chink! whhhheeeeEEEEEE load game.

I try again. Same thing, same place.

Instead, I try shooting the first guy I see. Same thing, different place.

Eventually, by memorising the map location of the mortar guy, I am able to off him with my second shot after I kill a random other guy to wake him up. Needless to say, everyone there now knows exactly where I am, and every time I pop my head up, they shoot right at me.

Finished the mission by going house-to-house with my 1911. Machete’d the commander guy, just because.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I think a lot of the omniscience was eventually patched out – I have played it three times, and the second two were a lot calmer and realistic than the first. First time was just hatstand silly. However Dogon village guy is still God of all he surveys. There is a way to do it, going up the right hand climbing path and using the silenced pistol, but it doesnt always work.

16. soulblur says:

If I hadn’t already bought it twice, I would buy it again. But as I have, it seems a bit silly to do so again. Even for £2.50.

But a great game. The Dragunov, the Mac-10 and a RPG-7 – my favourite load-out. I don’t know why I never used the grenade launcher pistol. That seems like a shortcoming on my part. But I never did.

• Moni says:

I always went with the Dart Rifle, I think it may have been a bit overpowered. It would always one-shot kill, regardless of where you hit the bad guys, it was super accurate, and it was silent.

Also, it was a secondary weapon, so you could carry around a big, fat, assault rifle and a machine gun with it.

• Mistabashi says:

The Dragunov and AS50 are for pussies. Real men use the Springfield bolt-action as their sniper-rifle of choice.

Incidentaly I found the game much more fun at the beginning if you used the cheat to disable weapon degredation, that way it was actually viable to use some of the weapons dropped by NPCs or found in safehouses (they would still be half-broken but they wouldn’t fall apart completely after firing two mags).

• Dominic White says:

Funniest loadout is the one-shot grenade launcher in your pistol slot, the multi-barrel grenade launcher in your main slot, a rocket launcher in your heavy slot, and the grenade, rocket and molotov capacity upgrades.

EVERYTHING IS BOOM.

• sinister agent says:

The bolt action rifle is my favourite, too. I generally plump for them in games, but Far Cry 2′s was particularly rewarding, particularly as (on the 360 at least) it didn’t automatically work the bolt (and therefore take you off the scope) until you took your finger off the trigger, so you could admire your handiwork for a moment or two before moving on. A nice touch.

17. sgc2000 says:

I really enjoyed it when I originally played it, my biggest issue was that my love of quick save meant a save game folder multiple gigs in size.

• AndrewC says:

Ooo, hardest difficulty, and with quicksave disabled so you can only save at a safehouse – it makes every journey properly exciting, rather than grindily boring! Horribly punishing too, but we’re all Hard Men here, and we can Take It.

• soulblur says:

Real men use the Springfield bolt-action as their sniper-rifle of choice.

Ah well, if you want to kill them with the first shot, yeah. But my whole strategy is to wound the first guy, he starts shouting, his buddy comes to pick him up, then I shoot his buddy in the head. Always hilarious!

18. Teddy Leach says:

Hmm… Surely something can be done about Steam believing the Euro is equal to the Dollar?

19. Jim Rossignol says:

I think the issue with Far Cry 2 was that it was a good game, but was nevertheless not game the design of it seemed to suggest it could be. Obligatory explanatory link: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/07/15/some-stuff-about-open-world-games/

• Schaulustiger says:

Ah, that was a brilliant article. I think I might have missed it at the time it was published.
      It pretty much sums up why I was ultimately disappointed by Far Cry 2. Especially after the first minutes where you are driven around with civilians lined up against the wall, grumpy guard posts who want to see papers and could be bribed with beer, etc. And after that, everything vanishes and there are just enemies that shoot at you on sight.

• Mistabashi says:

Yup, I gave up in frustration after a few hours the first time around, however when I picked it back up with more realistic expectations I found I was able to enjoy it much more. You have to play the game the way it wants to be played, not how you want / expect to play it.

Still quite frustrating and poorly designed in places though, I definately consider it a missed oportunity. I’d definately like to see a Far Cry 3 at any rate, assuming the devs can learn from their mistakes.

• Andrei Sebastian says:

I think all of the issues FarCry 2 had could’ve been resolved if a SDK was released.
      I frankly don’t understand publishers that take this approach.

Why not let the community fix your game? Are they so obsessed with the idea of authorship they’re willing to destroy a game’s reputation?

Oh geez, I remember how I bursted into laughter when I saw the ending.
      The other mercenaries spawning magically in front of you and trying to kill you, without any form of plot involvement (didn’t I just saved your ass?). Or civilians appearing magically in a photo, civilians that didn’t exist in the actual game world. And how awkward it tries to pretend it’s a “country”, even after it proved to the gamer it’s a string of repetitive missions a long a (almost) vast landscape.

• Arglebargle says:

Sorry, Far Cry 2 was subject to terrible design decisions. You may like it, but the things they did right don’t tip the balance against all the things they did so terribly poorly. For a lot of people, anyway.

Would love to see more games using the engine, though, pretty fantastic that. Looked especially beautiful in the Avatar movie game.

20. Serenegoose says:

Actually I enjoyed it just fine on normal mode. For some reason FC2 was a bit of a blind spot for me in terms of skill, and I found it punishingly hard even then. Yeah, I know, I know that it doesn’t have great AI and stuff. I can’t explain it.

It’s never normally like this, I swear.

Still, I think it’s a fantastically enjoyable game. Occasionally when I just want some fantastically dynamic firefights I install it and just play for a couple of hours. Rarely for a game I never navigate the plot, I just muck around getting into fights and find it great fun.

21. Jonathan says:

Another realism tip, courtesy of Idle Thumbs: turn off the music.

Also, the original Far Cry was a cracking game, well worth the pennies they’re asking for it.

• Christian says:

This actually helps in a lot of games (turning of music).

At least it does for me because I think that those orchestral soundtracks that tend to swell up before a battle or such just kills immersion and just adds another layer on top to fool you into getting hectic and thus making errors. This might work in (some) movies where it builds up a certain tension, but in games I don’t need this because I’m in control and build my own tension through simply playing.

• westyfield says:

You guys don’t have a full orchestra following you around normally?
      Weird.

• Oak says:

I thought the music was pretty good, too, but yes: turn it off. It’ll make you notice how quiet most games aren’t.

• YourMessageHere says:

That’s something that happens inside of 5 minutes into 98% of games, for me. Before I even start, in any FPS and/or if the menu music seems anything other than pleasing. I can never understand people’s patience for looping rubbish music in games, especially anything that relies on fast reactions and unpredictable circumstances.

• sinister agent says:

Far Cry 2 at least based the ‘action music’ on when you opened fire though, even if you were just mucking around. The worst offenders for this are games that have ‘action music’ that completely negates any element of surprise the enemy might have over you..

22. Scatterbrainpaul says:

Far Cry 2 always seems to be on sale. I picked it up for a fiver the last time it was on sale after ignoring it the previous 7 times when it was on sale.

Any ideas why it is on sale more than any other game?

23. Flint says:

There’s a fantastic game inside Far Cry 2, but all manners of niggles (above all the more-or-less pointless main story and the insane repetetiveness of the gameplay goals) chip away the joy from it. It’s great fun for a while but the more I played it, the more I felt like I had got stuck in a groundhog’s day loop and it stopped being fun.

24. Marcos A.T. Silva says:

US$ 2,50 is very cheap. This is the next game I will put on the top of my list of games to be played.

25. Ian says:

I never finished FC2 but I still loved it in my own way.

Spending a few minutes crouched in the tall grass on a hill above an enemy camp planning an attack and then seeing it come off without a hitch was brilliant.

Starting to execute said plan only for all hell to break loose when it all goes wrong and you have to deal with it on the fly was even better.

My favourite tactic largely involved using the flare gun to start several fires and then quietly murdering people while his chums worried about the flames making their way around the camp. The flare gun is wicked.

• soulblur says:

I crouched in the tall grass. The wind was blowing towards the enemy camp, from my back. I shouldered up the RPG. My strategy of choice: opening salvo – RPGs into the huts. Two rockets off, then stand to start sniping. Shit! Fire! The RPG launcher has set off fires directly behind me, which are now burning off my legs. Also, I’m silhouetted to the remaining guys in the huts with their own RPGs. Death.

Thusly ended my rocket-distance strategy of approach.

26. fitzroy_doll says:

I enjoyed playing this game, but, without giving anything away, there are points at which a choice is offered, but the outcome is exactly the same for all options. Nothing the player does has any impact on the world.

27. Mattressi says:

I’m not sure if Quinns has actually played it on the hardest difficulty…On the hardest difficulty, every enemy takes insane numbers of bullets (even to the head) to die, every gun wears out almost instantly and cars (well, the one you’re driving) seem to blow up just from hitting a rock. It’s possibly the least realistic mode that you could play on. Having said that, I feel that I’m missing a heavy bit of sarcasm and am just making a fool of myself by posting this…

• Quintin Smith says:

That’s… not true. Enemies still die when you shoot them in the head.

I played it on Infamous right up to the second map, whereupon the game is categorically not road-tested for that level of difficulty. The telltale evidence of this is that there’s no achievement (or equivalent) for finishing the game on a given difficulty. On Infamous on the second map enemies just murder you, and there’s even one setpiece (the boat coming under attack) which I’m pretty sure is impossible.

That was when I swapped all the way down to normal.

• Alan Alda says:

You may be right about the road testing, but I completed that bit last week on infamous (I happened to be replaying this recently). Basically if you have a sniper rifle, and foreknowledge of the positions of the two most ridiculous enemies (RPG Guy and Mortar Guy), it can be done with minimal fuss. Perhaps that’s not really a point in the set piece’s favour…

• sinister agent says:

Head shots do take people down right away, but anything else takes forever. It’s not fun unloading eight bullets into the chest of a clearly topless man without any apparent effect.

28. DainIronfoot says:

I had a lot of fun playing this game, sneaking about with a silenced pistol.

My ideal game would be somehow reuniting Farcry and Crysis, creating a freeroaming jungle action stealth shooty thing.

29. Commander Gun says:

Any news how your unified prices petition comes along? I so hate to pay more for a digital product that is cheaper somewhere else :(

30. B0GiE-uk- says:

Are there any good mods for far cry 2 that remove all the shitty checkpoints?

• Andrei Sebastian says:

Ubisoft took care of that.

• jon_hill987 says:

There aren’t any mods at all, never mind good ones.

• Zarunil says:

i tried hard to get into the game at least two times, both of which I got frustrated to the point of uninstallation. My main gripe was the guards respawning as soon as I moved a few hundred meters away from the checkpoints. Ruined the immersion for me. I thought the game, otherwise, was fantastic. Dear God, give me a patch to edit the respawn frequency.

31. Rinox says:

I thought the UK was in Europe.

• Teddy Leach says:

We’re in the European Union, but we have our own currency.

• stillwater says:

@Teddy Leach.

That’s irrelevant. Poland is in the European Union, but has its own currency too. That doesn’t make Poland not European, does it?

• Teddy Leach says:

I’m not saying that doesn’t mean we’re not European. I’m saying that because we have our own currency, we don’t pay with the Euro online.

EDIT: I was assuming Rinox was questioning why we don’t use the Euro with the rest of Europe. Or something.

EDIT EDIT: It made sense in my head.

• Rii says:

Context, context…

Like Turkey and Russia, the UK is one of those optional inclusions under the ‘European’ umbrella.

• Wabznasm says:

Depends on which “Europe” you’re talking about:

There’s the continent of Europe, the westermost peninsula of Eurasia up to the Ural and Caucasus mountains. This includes the UK, but not, for example Greenland (and possibly only some/none of Russia depending on who you ask).
      There’s the European Union (EU), which is made up of the 27 states which have signed the Rome treaty, Lisbon Treaty and Maastricht treaty (although some of these have opted out of certain of the policy areas covered by these treaties).
      There are some special member state territories which have particular economic relationships and special legal status within or outside the EU (Greenland, Cyprus, Gibraltar, the Canary Islands etc).
      There’s the European Monetary Union (which includes the single currency, amongst other things), which has 17 member states at the moment, although all EU members except Denmark and the UK have signed up and are working towards implementing the policies.
      The Schengen area has no international border controls, it’s made up of the 25 states who signed the Amsterdam Treaty, including 3 (Iceland, Norway and Switzerland) who aren’t members of the EU.
      There’s the Council of Europe with 47 members, and includes many of the Balkan states as well as the likes of Russia, Georgia, and Ukraine. It drafts various international conventions and treaties, and invites members and those outside (eg, the US, Canada, China, etc) to sign.
      The EU customs union includes all EU members as well as Turkey, Andorra, Monaco and San Marino.
      The European Free Trade Association (EFTA) has 4 members.
      There’s the European Economic Area which includes the EU and EFTA as well as Iceland, Liectenstein and Norway.

I’ve glossed over a great deal of the complexity (e.g. this doesn’t include the European Broadcasting Union: 205 members, 25 associate members), so here’s a Euler diagram showing the whole situation.

The UK is part of the geographical area, the European Council, the EU and the single market, though we opted out of the Schengen agreement and the European Monetary Union. We also have an opt-out on police/justice matters as well as the Charter of Fundamental Rights.

Hope that’s clear! (I know it isn’t).

32. CMaster says:

Are there some mods to make it better? I thought I’d heard there were.

• fitzroy_doll says:

No, the game isn’t set up for modding and there is no single-player sdk. There was a valiant attempt to add ai to multiplayer maps but this was abandoned. The problem with the checkpoints is that the game has no way to store information about a level beyond a few set features (briefcases, buddies, mission targets), and simply restores the rest from scratch. To fix this you would have to re-write the whole save system.

33. stillwater says:

“…an utterly transporting experience that produced breathtaking gunfights and moments of high drama with incredible regularity”.

Precisely.

34. stillwater says:

Also, don’t forget us Australians(and probably others as well)!. The deal is on here too (5 bucks, which is about 2.50 pounds)

35. The Hammer says:

Yaaaaaaaay, fucking yaaaay.

I got this yesterday as soon as it went on sale, along with its bigger brother, Far Cry 1. I really do wonder which one I’ll finish first: either of those two, or Crysis? Hmm…

Had a cracking time with the intro yesterday, though. So pretty and so tense.

Here’s hoping Assassin’s Creed is a good price this evening too, ‘cos I’ll be snapping that up, ho yes!

36. Turin Turambar says:

What a incredibly mediocre grame.

Drama… seriously?

37. HelderPinto says:

weird thing with the prices there, wonder why the fuck do we still pay 7.50

38. chokoladenudlen says:

Wait, Brits don’t count as Europeans anymore?
    Getting all snooty and self-important over on your side of the Channel, huh? :-)
    Far Cry 2 looked awesome, but the near-instant respawning of guards at the posts you had to go through all the time due to the… eh…. argh… back-and-forth nature of the game was no fun.
    (In Danish we have a word which directly translates to “star-race” or “star-run”, if you will, where you go to a post, then back to a central hub, then to a new post, then back again to the central hub etc. – what’s the proper English word for this? It’s something we used to do at the boy-scouts >.<).

• Lilliput King says:

Those long winter evenings must have just flown by.

• Misnomer says:

In the U.S. that is called a “shuttle run,” but the only place I encountered the phrase was as a child in gym class. We would have a set of weights or blocks on a line. We would run out to another line, touch it, come back and get a block to take back to the other line…and repeat.

39. Jesse L says:

There’s a cheat for that? Thank goodness. Buying now. I disliked having to replace my guns after every single mission.

Edit: comment failed. Referring to the ability to turn off weapon degradation.

40. HexagonalBolts says:

I found it so incredibly dull and repetitive…

41. airtekh says:

<3 Far Cry 2. One of my favourite games of the last few years.
    It'd be great if there were a few mods for it.

42. d3vilsadvocate says:

If you haven’t played FC2 by now, what chances are there that you’re actually going to play it now? Only coz it’s cheap you’re suddenly going to play it now?

I wish this deal-mania would just end, I’m certainly not going to fall for it any more…

• Vinraith says:

It’s only, what, two years old? Hell, it’s rare for me to play a game when it’s newer than that, not out of any sense of bargain hunting but simply because of time constraints and the sheer volume of interesting stuff that comes out at any given time.

For me, the question isn’t “will I play FC2 if I buy it?” because I know I will, the question is “am I going to finally get around to upgrading to Windows 7 soon enough to make it worthwhile to buy it now, or should I simply wait until the Christmas sale?” I’m leaning towards the latter, especially considering my backlog.

Edit: And it turns out it’s back to full price anyway, so the whole question is essentially moot.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Daily sales on Steam switch at 18:00 for us UK types (10am PDT/1pm EDT) & it’s still showing as £2.50 right now so you should have around 4 & 1/2 hours still to purchase it at the reduced price.

Oh and to Mr moanypants d3vilsadvocate, as with Vinraith there’s plenty of games I buy when they’re on sale to add to the “to be played” list as I just don’t buy into the hype surrounding games at release for various reasons. Nothing wrong with pointing people at something they can get for cheap if you recommend it.

• Vinraith says:

@Malibu Stacy

Oops, I got this post and the one after it scrambled, that’s what I get for posting this early in the morning. I somehow transposed Far Cry 2 and Just Cause 2, and was noting that Just Cause 2 is full price.

I already own Far Cry 2, played it awhile back, and loved the hell out of it. Actually, the post I was responding to at least makes more sense in relation to that game, which is decidedly older and has been on sale many times. This does not change the fact that people get around to games whenever they get around to them, of course.

43. Dominic White says:

The divide of opinions on this game is amazing, and weirdly, the two camps seem to be ‘people who post on forums about games’ and ‘people who make and professionally write about games’.

Over at the SA forums, there’s a whole crowd of people shouting angrily at anyone even CONSIDERING playing the game, trying to scare them off constantly. It’s utterly hated.

But yeah, I’m seconding Quinns’ observation here – every games writer and developer I’ve seen talk about the game seems to have loved it. Yes, there’s a constant flow of enemies. It’s an FPS. You shoot people. if there was nobody to shoot, you’d be sightseeing.

And I REALLY liked the gunfights in this. Really spectacular and varied, and can happen at any moment.

• CMaster says:

Perhaps backing that up:
      This reworking of Unreal sounds quite a bit like FacrCry2, I thoughy.

• James T says:

Does the quality of an FPS correlate with the amount of cannon-fodder it contains?

• Arglebargle says:

@Dominic White “But yeah, I’m seconding Quinns’ observation here – every games writer and developer I’ve seen talk about the game seems to have loved it.”

That’s really sad, considering how deep and rampant the design failures were. Developer myopia, I guess. The moment to moment experiance could be very good, but the game as a whole was so seriously flawed.

44. Grayvern says:

Gah; I bought this just before the ubisoft sale, still it was only a good quality burger and fries more expensive, man I’m hungry.

45. DrazharLn says:

Anyone know if it’s worth getting Far Cry 1 as well?

• Grayvern says:

I bought it just because it was £1.34 even though I already own It. It’s basically crysis sans suit powers making it quite hard and placing more emphasis on stealth to avoid getting slaughtered.
      However half way through 7 foot tall mutant apes appear which can kill in 1-2 hits,even on normal, apparently the game features more man shooting after a while and becomes better but I’ve never got that far, the trigens, as they are called, just put me off.

• Dominic White says:

Well done, like so many impatient people on the internet, you quit about 1/3 of the way in and miss out on most of the best levels in the game.

• Ezhar says:

Absolutely. Some would even say it’s the only one worth getting.

• Vinraith says:

I didn’t care for Far Cry 1 (loved Far Cry 2), but as I recall there’s a demo so you could simply check it out and see if it fits your tastes.

• MikoSquiz says:

It’s way better than the second one. Or.. no, let me rephrase that. It’s not as good as the second one, but it’s also not as hideously flawed.

It’s like a choice between sleeping with (1) the vaguely horsey one out of Sex & The City or (2) the really hot brunette, but she’s got a big facial scar and is missing a leg. And is also dead and starting to whiff a bit.

And yes, please do note that it abruptly triple-to-quadruples in difficulty at one point. I ended up giving up on a bit where you get trapped in a small confined space and have to kill multiple enemies that can take several assault rifle clips to the head and insta-kill you. Because I’d only managed to get to that point with about one clip of ammo left and my previous save game was around an hour and a half of nails-hard stuff back. Silly me, thinking I could handle ‘hard’ just because the first ~half of the game was a cakewalk on ‘normal’.

• Malibu Stacey says:

If you do get it, DO NOT PLAY IT ON HARD DIFFICULTY. The difficulty ramp when the Trigens get introduced is nintendo-hard for quite some time.
      See I think I’m pretty good at games & I like to get my moneys worth so I play most things above “normal” difficulty by default. This is all fine & good for like the first 40% of Far Cry. Then it throws you off a cliff difficulty wise.

Having said that, I know I’m going to dig out my old saves & try to continue on.

It’s a lovely looking game but then I never bothered with Crysis because I had this long before it came out. Also the stealth systems & AI are pretty good. For less than a pint it’s well worth it even if you only stick with it for a few hours.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I remember playing Far Cry 1 back in the day and thinking it was flat-out awesome. It was pretty advanced in what it was doing back then, but its a case that so many games now have done what it did, and maybe better, so the wow factor is not there so much. It was one of the first games I played that really gave me a sense of freedom and reality (well until the mutants show up ofc, then its just silly). It is a great game, but play it with an eye to when it was released.

• Grayvern says:

It’s not impatience to give up on a game because of quite frankly terrible enemy design, it’s sense, especially considering the other games I had to play at the time, I’ve always hated bullet sponges.

The biggest other point about Far Cry is that enemies are unrealistically accurate at range with prevents you from Crysising it and going through all of the game post scoped weaponry being able to simply out range every enemy.

• bleeters says:

I loathed the ridiculous jumping mutants in Far Cry, but it’s worth seeing through to the end. Probably.

Provided you’re ok with taking on super powered insta-kill monkeys with only your knife and hawaiian shirt for protection, because the game dumps you unarmed into a jungle full of the pissing things towards the end. That part was infuriating.

46. Sigh says:

Nice call pointing out the sale of a great game. Too bad RPS didn’t post something similar when R.U.S.E. was deeply discounted ($15 in the U.S.) which is a great price for many individual’s game of the year.

I am hoping that World in Conflict has a deep discount before the week is over.

47. Unaco says:

I picked up FC2, and sank a few hours into it. It didn’t really click with me, though I might go back at some point and give it another spin, see if it grabs me.

What I can recommend is the original, FarCry, which is up on Steam with the same 75% off, so selling for £1.25 (half the price of FC2). If you haven’t played the original, you should. It’s a damn good game, a very different beast from both FC2 and Crysis (the two games it ‘spawned’) and a very satisfying experience. The open world sections are a joy to behold… you’ll be placed into an area and given an objective some distance away, it’ll then be up to you how you approach the task – do you take a boat and skirt round the coast to attack from the bay? Do you crawl through the jungle and sneak up on the whole thing? Do you take the Jeep and drive at the front door and open up guns blazing?). Some people complained about the corridor parts of the game… I don’t. I thought they were short and sparse enough, that when they appeared they ended up being a tense, intense, frantic burst of action, and an excuse to use the very satisfying shotgun.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Pretty much agree with that. To me it plays a lot like a higher budget version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl (not saying it’s as good as Stalker or has the same level of atmosphere but the gameplay is quite similar).

48. mbp says:

Don’t buy it.

Far Cry 2 is the most depressing game I have ever played. You play a amoral mercenary in a failed African nation which is completely devastated by civil war. Everybody wants to kill you and the sense of utter hopelessness is reinforced by the fact that enemy checkpoints constantly re spawn so you spend your life fighting the same pointless battle over and over again every time you come to a crossroads.

• Joshua says:

Its like complaining about traffic jams. Learn to take different routes.

In fact, do it all the time. Take different routes, avoid traffic jams / gaurd posts entirely. Waay more fun. It isn’t a freeform game for nothing.

49. Frosty says:

I’ve given Far Cry 2 a couple of attempts but I admit I really did not like it. However for £2.50 it’s well worth anyone giving themselves the marmite test.

Also, first Far Cry YES DO BUY.

50. squareking says:

I haven’t even finished Crysis yet.

• Malibu Stacey says:

I haven’t even installed Crysis yet. Then again I only bought it a few weeks ago when it was on sale.
      Maybe once I’ve finished Stalker:SHoC, Bioshock, Far Cry, Zeno Clash, The Penumbra series, Metro 2033, The Ball, Amnesia & Stalker: CoP Crysis may have bumped it self to the top of the “to be played” list.

Comment on this story