Steam Says: You Can Pay £2.50 For Far Cry 2

By Quintin Smith on May 27th, 2011 at 11:10 am.

Man Vs. Village! It's the ultimate crossover battle!

I’m not going to lie, there are some perks to this job. One of them is that if I want to say “Look! Look, everybody! Far Cry 2 is, for the next few hours only, £2.50 on Steam! You should buy it, because it’s really good!” Then nobody can stop me. Not even you, guy who hated Far Cry 2 and is reading this right now. You are powerless.

EDIT: Turns out the deal is for UK and America only, and Europeans are still getting a price of €7.50. Europeans I am so sorry.

I know some people didn’t get along with Far Cry 2, and they cite checkpoints, overly aggressive AI and more besides as reasons that it’s a terrible game. But some people, like me and, apparently, every games developer I follow on Twitter, felt that it was an utterly transporting experience that produced breathtaking gunfights and moments of high drama with incredible regularity. Which group will you fall into? Who knows. But at £2.50, it’s a risk you’d be mad not to take. Buy this game, pop it onto its highest difficulty setting to enhance the realism that game works so hard to simulate and just see whether you have the time of your life.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. squirrel says:

Far Cry 2 is both a good and a bad game. Good that it is quite innovative as a sandbox shooter. Bad that UBI failed to deliver what it promised. Either way, however, £2.50 is definitely a bargain one cannot afford to miss if you have not yet played this fine piece of art.

Steam version of Far Cry 2 is no way to become DRM free however. I recommend buying this only if you have exhausted all means to acquire the retail version in lower price.

• Hedgemonster says:

@squirrel:

Once you’ve installed Far Cry 2, you can play it without loading up Steam first. That’s nearly as nice as DRM-free in my book.

• Kaira- says:

@Hedgemonster

I might be wrong, but doesn’t most Steam-games require you to launch it once in online-mode before you can play it offline (meaning online-activation)?

• Hedgemonster says:

@Kaira-:

What I meant was that Far Cry 2, like some other games available on Steam (e.g. Mini Ninjas, a bunch of Indie games) don’t need Steam to be running in the background for them to work. I discover these things by accident as they aren’t advertised as such on the Steam website, the readmes, etc: I once clicked the Far Cry 2 icon in the start menu, played for a bit, and then when I quit the program I noticed that Steam wasn’t running and was apparently surplus to requirements. Kind of like how Impulse works (or worked, I haven’t used it in yonks): you only need Steam to install the game and that’s it.

I have no idea whether or not it needs to be activated first. But I imagine Far Cry 2 isn’t actually activated via Steam and relies just on a valid serial for online play. Ubisoft may have disabled the existing DRM in one of their updates; they’ve done it before.

2. DNyeEverything says:

I am so lazy I just bought this to avoid having to turn on my XBox to play Far Cry 2. Next I’ll see if I am too lazy to turn on my PC, and instead play it in Parallels as, in effect, a slide show.

3. brulleks says:

Nice to see other Far cry 2 lovers out there finally finding their voice. After release, we seemed to get drowned out by the miserable groans of the dissatisfied horde.
    Much better than the first game, with its faux-open maps and Crytek’s customary ill-advised leap halfway through the game from intuitive, immersive and flexible combat against human ai to some disastrously paced levels pitched against a token ‘other.’ FC 2 may have been bleak, but it recognised the futility and ambiguous mire of human conflict without having to resort to a black-and-white ‘kill the bad guy because they’re obviously ethically redundant’. Everyone, including your own character, had invaded this country to grab what they could from its dying, outstretched hands, and everyone wanted everyone else dead.
    I love games that don’t make me feel like a haloed superhero, but rather make me question my raging bloodlust even as I am thudding bullets into the flesh of the ‘enemies’.

4. sexyresults says:

Thanks for the heads up, it’s $5 in Australia

thesundaybest says:

Am only playing through Far Cry 2 for the first time now, after reading about it in Tom Bissell’s Extra Lives and listening to Alex describe it on The Digital Cowboys.

And I love it.

I’m totally crap at FPS, but that matters less in this game which isn’t about running and jumping, but more about setting up crazy scenarios to kill people. And I don’t mind the checkpoints since one of my biggest problems with games is that by the time you get really good at fighting they’re aren’t any enemies left.

6. Iskariot says:

Don’t be sorry for europeans Quintin Smith.
    I already bought a second retail hard copy of Farcry 2 two years ago and it cost me exactly 1 euro. Farcry 2 has been in the bargain bin for years now for 5 euro and less, much less.

I do not understand the Farcry 2 bashing. I liked Farcry 2 very much. It was not perfect, games never are, but it featured the single most beautiful open world I have ever gamed in. And the freedom I had as a player was intoxicating. The weapons were great and felt real. The AI was great too. The only thing I thought was a real negative were the roadblocks that respawned much to fast, but I learned to cope with that and even enjoyed avoiding them or taking them out. I did not mind the respawning as such, but it should have been done more realistic and slower. I also would have enjoyed to see a little bit more RPG elements (customizing gear and weapons and character), but all in all this game is one of my favorites.

7. Yosharian says:

Not even worth £2.50… You’d have to pay me to play this damn game.

8. Bungle says:

IMPORTANT MULTIPLAYER INFORMATION!!!

PunkBuster stopped supporting Far Cry 2 sometime in the past year. That means you can’t update PunkBuster, which means you can’t play multiplayer. YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY DOWNLOAD THESE FILES AND COPY THEM TO YOUR FAR CRY 2/PB FOLDER!!

Post #7. Download the ZIP and copy the contents to the appropriate folder. I tried it and it worked. AFAIK, there is no official way to get multiplayer working. This is the only fix. FC2’s multiplayer is absolutely worth trying. They did some really innovative stuff with the custom map system.

9. EliteGamer says:

£2.50? Why at that price it’s very nearly worth it!

Oh fine; words cannot properly express my dissatisfaction with that game but at £2.50 I’ll concede that it’s worth trying.

10. Vinraith says:

Regarding the checkpoints, if you don’t want to fight through them (and after a few respawns I certainly don’t blame you) you can usually run them straight-up if you’ve hijacked a good vehicle.

It’s a pity about the speed with which those respawn. I enjoyed the game despite that, but I can understand why it’d be potentially game-breaking for others. The really frustrating thing is that it’d be so easy to fix if they’d just put out an SDK. Ah well, personally I still had a blast playing through this one, so much so I could see myself giving it another run at some point if I could think of something different to do.

11. MythArcana says:

Simon says: \/@|v3 and Ubisoft can suck it.

12. Navagon says:

I quite liked it. The ending was good and made it feel like it was worth battling through all those insane as batshit enemies to reach it. The constant attacks were tiring though.

13. Numerical says:

10 bucks usd for a physical copy.

Fun game, really needed more neutral npcs and less fuckers going for the kill when not on missions,

14. bleeters says:

Warning: Use of the flamethrower weapon may awaken subconscious pyromanic urges.

Burn the world! Burn it dooooown.

15. EBass says:

Even I who utterly hated this game couldn’t complain at £2.50, so with great self control I won’t.