Cryptic Now In A Perfect World

By Jim Rossignol on May 31st, 2011 at 8:49 am.

Logos!
Perfect World, the MMO company behind, er Perfect World, and also more recently Forsaken World, seem to be gradually expanding away from their Chinese MMO remit. Last year we heard they were publishing Torchlight 2 and the as-yet-unrevealed Torchlight MMO, and yesterday it was revealed that they have acquired Cryptic from Atari. Perfect World have stated that they expect things to be business as usual for Cryptics operations as a result of the purchase. Right now Cryptic are still working on the Nevewinter MMO, but it’ll be particularly interesting to see what Perfect World have them do once that is complete.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Ba5 says:

Wow this is exciting news.

2. banks1990 says:

I can only hoped that Perfect World won’t get involved in the development of Torchlight and Neverwinter MMO.

Played Perfect World MMO during my high school years, and it was boring, and there is *no* lore behind the game. And you have to pay to easily level up from level 70 onwards. The worst thing is that they added a new item that boosts your stats. Thus it changed from free2play to pay2win.

I always wondered why on earth do I bothered with that stupid game whenever I look back.

• Wulf says:

Perfect World tend to be like NCsoft West (and NCsoft West is diametrically opposed to NCsoft East, interestingly enough) in that they tend to be hands off, that’s what I’ve heard anyway, and they tend to trust developers to get things right by themselves.

In fact, the Western arm of a number of Asian publishers are unusually nice when it comes to letting developers do what they want, I wish that was an example that could be picked up by actual Western publishers.

3. Dana says:

Seems like a suicide.

4. .backslash says:

Aw. And here I was, looking forward to Neverwinter. Although I’m curious as to how will they handle the licensing issues. The license-holder for Forgotten Realms was Atari, now that they aren’t part of it, should they change the game to Meveverwinter, a city in Northern Maerun.

5. Jumwa says:

Strange news. I’ve been interested by Perfect World’s MMO offerings, but never got too much into them due to no fault of the games own.

I suppose I’ll have a better idea once we see how Cryptic’s next project measures up to their old ones.

6. Dozer says:

Anyone else see the image while scrolling through their RSS feed and think it said “Peugeot World”?

Anyone?

Just me, then.

7. GCU Speak Softly says:

Cryptic employee WishStone has posted on the official STO forums, adding: “Right now I have no further details other than what has been mentioned elsewhere. Support for Champions Online and Star Trek Online will be continuing as normal, our staff is working hard on their projects… and there are no planned changes to the way any of our games and projects will operate.”

Which knocks my hope for a f2p Star Trek Online.

• Wulf says:

I don’t think they mean that so much. What I think is happening there is that they’re trying to reassure people that there’s going to be no negative changes to the way their company works. Cryptic, for a company, shows a surprising amount of care for their customers. One of my favourite instances of this is Tumerboy, whom on the forums often tells people exactly what he does in his job, what his job entails, and how he builds environments for the game.

Hell, thanks to Tumerboy I know how almost all of the dungeons in Vibora Bay were built, and it was a really interesting explanation, too. And he explained what would be necessary to fix an area in Canada to the forumites, recently, and that was a damned interesting read. I’ve learned more about environment work in games from him than I have from my own research or a billion interviews.

But yeah, the point is is that I think what’s happening here is that Cryptic are just saying “Don’t worry. If anyone’s going to screw you over, we’ll get the word out, so far the coast is clear.”, which is pretty much their usual modus operandi. STO could still go Free 2 Play at some point in the future if it’s beneficial to make it F2P.

• Wulf says:

I disagree, Perfect World has been pretty good to the developers they’ve taken under their wing. Please note that Runic Games, of Torchlight fame, is entirely funded by Perfect World.

8. Wulf says:

Neverwinter MMO? Not so much.

9. Wulf says:

I really don’t understand why people keep saying that. NCsoft West has been unusually good to ArenaNet over the course of a number of years, and the Western arm of Perfect World seems to be following that example by taking a hands-off approach to their developers.

Torchlight is funded in its entirety by Perfect World, too, and they’re letting Runic do whatever they want, they even let them shelve their MMO for a bit to work on a sequel to Torchlight.

Why is this a suicide? If they’d been sold to EA, THAT would have been a suicide. Activision? Suicide. But this will very likely work.

10. DeepSleeper says:

Good luck to them. Champions went down a road that utterly alienated me, I have feelings of bitter loss for that game, but after having a prod at STO over the weekend I’m rather liking it. Cryptic has their own weird style… nothing else quite feels like a Cryptic MMO for better or worse, and it’d be kind of a shame to lose that.

11. Sarkhan Lol says:

A genuine fate worse than death.

12. Snargelfargen says:

I remember playing Perfect World for several weeks. I spent most of my time creating incredibly hideous characters (the character creator is actually really good, except the parameters let you create inhuman freaks) and making them auto-follow random players until they got angry and ragequit. Good times!

If I remember correctly there was also a broken graphics setting that applied anti-aliasing to water reflections. It could make maxed Crysis rigs slow to a crawl.

This is probably the only time Perfect World will be relevant to any discussion on RPS.

13. lunarplasma says:

Looking at the comments, I think some people are confusing Perfect World, the MMO with Perfect World, the company.

Comment on this story