First Sight Of Metro: Last Light

By John Walker on May 31st, 2011 at 4:46 pm.

Gosh, it does look good.

We knew that Metro: Last Light was happening back in April, after THQ registered the related URL. However, the official reveal of the Metro 2033 sequel has taken place today, along with a whole one screenshot (click on it to see it full size) and a teaser trailer. It’s off to post-apocalyptic Moscow once more.

Developers 4A Games are promising, “one of the most richly detailed and beautifully realised gaming worlds of modern times” for the new game (and the image above certainly suggests that), which seems to be moving away from a purely corridor theme. It’s described:

“Metro: Last Light pitches the player into the midst of a desperate civil war for control over a doomsday device that threatens to destroy humanity forever. The epic single-player campaign and unique multiplayer experience will benefit from the extraordinary lighting, physics and destruction made possible by Metro: Last Light’s bespoke 4A Engine technology.”

It will apparently combine exploration with survival horror, and is said to be as bleak as the first game.

A rather strange statement from THQ’s “EVP Core Games” (they’re just making up job titles now) Danny Bilson calls the first game “flawed” and takes a dig at, er, THQ for not marketing the game properly.

“We believe that Metro 2033 was a flawed masterpiece. It was a beautiful, original game that didn’t get the marketing support it needed. We won’t make that mistake with Metro: Last Light. This game improves on the original in every way – it will have more polish, deeper and more sophisticated gameplay, and satisfyingly visceral combat, without losing what our fans loved about the original. Metro: Last Light is another artful piece of game development from an Eastern European studio that will thrill and terrify anyone looking for a more cerebral experience than your typical first person shooter.”

I imagine this indicates they’re planning on giving things a bigger push to the States this time out, for a game they seem to be much more confident in. The release date is currently some time in 2012, and hopefully we’ll be taking a closer look at E3 next week.

Here’s the very peculiar trailer that might contain about 1.2 seconds of in-game footage, interspersed in picosecond glimpses amongst art work:

, , , , .

1. Teronfel says:

eff yeah!!!

Gundato says:

No real content to that trailer, but I liked it.

And Metro is a great game. One of my favorite FPSes from the past two years or so. Here is hoping Last Light has more tense above-ground adventures which involve sneaking around and taking out baddies by breaking their gas masks with a silenced pistol.

• Jumwa says:

Much my own feelings.

I’m not a big linear-shooter fan, but this game managed to do something with the genre that was startlingly beautiful and unique. Never played a game quite like it.

3. McDan says:

YES! Love the first one so much! Going to go make and play it through for about the 20th time again because this has reminded me how much I love it.

Monchberter says:

Is that Washington DC?

*runs*

5. EOT says:

I still haven’t finished the first one. I suppose I should really get round to it at some point. It’s not like I have anything else to do with my time.

6. gulag says:

Really enjoyed the world and feel of the first game, if not the game itself. Some punishingly unfair difficulty spikes and the sort of ‘stealth’ gameplay that should have been consigned to history after Deus Ex. Still, if they open up the world a bit, and retain the stunningly Russian bleakness of it all, it will end up on my list.

• MiniTrue says:

Funny you should say that, actually, since M2033 was one of the most Deusexy games I’ve played in recent years. That’s probably why I liked it so much.

• Xocrates says:

Personally, I found that the game felt too much like STALKER compressed to a linear shooter. As such it lacked the openness that made STALKER such an interesting game while being nearly identical in atmosphere, and tone.

It was not a bad game, but fell in the awkward position of having its good points been done first elsewhere and being more or less unremarkable everywhere else.

• Arglebargle says:

The original’s a flawed game, but really well realized atmosphere. Too bad they would hardly let you explore it. The descriptions of the sequel sound good so far, but I did not like a number of the devs desicisons in the first one. We’ll see….

7. dufake says:

typical first person shooter = cod

8. Conor says:

Yay!

P7uen says:

Fantastic news, I can’t wait. One man’s flaws are another man’s things he quite enjoyed about the same game.

Can anyone tell me if any of the other books have been translated into English yet?

10. Sinkoristo says:

I really need to finish Metro 2033 now.

*Starts up Steam*

11. Linfosoma says:

As long as I dont get and incredibly overpowered railgun right from the start I’ll be happy. I couldn’t help but use that thing the whole game, it was just too good.

Joshua says:

It was originally a bonus item…

But yeah, deliverd waaaay to short.

• fitzroy_doll says:

That is the fault of the patch. It was added after the game had already been out for some time. Using it or selling it unbalanced the rest of the game. I also hope they don’t do that again.

• Oneironaut says:

I had a similar experience with Mafia 2. I bought the Deluxe edition in a Steam Sale. I come home from the War, my only possessions the clothes on my back, and I then immediately get a selection of fine suits and luxury automobiles. It really screwed up the immersion, and I ended up just not using those things because it felt wrong to have them so early.

• i liek turtals says:

I thought that was a bug but yeah, I used it too..

12. glix says:

I was just thinking how much I loved the first and how I should do a replay soon, just so I can get the other ending. What lovely timing :D

13. Wizlah says:

Can’t fault the use of portishead. Looked at the trialer, didn’t realise I had the sound turned off. But when it was on, the trailer works.

Still need to get Metro 2033 at some point.

• mazzratazz says:

Mmm, Portishead. It really is a song trailer, isn’t it.

lhzr says:

from eurogamer’s preview:
    “Glukhovsky did bash out a follow-up to his best-selling novel, logically enough called Metro 2034 (also the game’s original working title) but it was deemed a more esoteric art-house affair not suitable for a videogame plot. As such, story duties have fallen to the lead designer..”

that doesn’t sound very promising. i’d rather have an “art-house shooter”, whatever that might mean, than another homefront.

• Zealuu says:

I wouldn’t worry too much, if you could live with the storyline of 2033. It didn’t follow the book very closely – the many sequences of strict non-action were cut (this is dialogue-heavy Russian prose after all), characters altered, and much of the mid-game was never in the book to begin with.

• Dreamhacker says:

Yeah, the first game’s story diverted from the book quite early, and probably for the best. I loved the book’s philosophical discussions, but they wouldn’t really make for a good FPS.

15. diebroken says:

I hope Blum isn’t doing (practically) all of the voice-over work this time…

• EOT says:

I played it in Russian with Subs. One of the few times I feel that it’s worthwhile.

16. Fistulator says:

Portishead and post-apocalypse…..EPIC!!!

17. Ricc says:

unique multiplayer experience

bear912 says:

Yeah, that worries a bit. I don’t see why Metro would need multiplayer…

I want to see another “flawed masterpiece”, but that might not be what THQ is pushing for to pay their bills. I’m rooting for you, 4A!

18. Kain91 says:

Can’t wait i loved 2033

19. Calneon says:

I edited out the concept art to leave only the gameplay segments and slowed it down a lot. Take a look:

• shaydeeadi says:

Nicely done

• John P says:

Nice, that makes it a much more interesting trailer.

Note to devs: We like watching your games. Show us your games. Don’t try to dazzle us with your epileptic editing abilities.

• Inglourious Badger says:

I was literally about to ask if someone could do that. Excellent work!

20. Ziv says:

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I LOVED the first game, totally looking forward to the sequel!

21. trjp says:

I hated the original with a vengeance – crappy weapons against bullet-sponge enemies with levels so linear and sprinked with ‘scary bit triggers’ that it felt like playing a Ghost Train!!

Perhaps part of the problem is that played it back-to-back with F.E.A.R (the 2006 vintage one) – so you have F.E.A.R with it’s great weapons and enemies which react to being shotagainst Metro and it’s love of making enemies just soak up bullets as if you’re missing right upto the point they just drop dead…

F.E.A.R also makes playing Metro feel like walking in treacle – Metro is shite, basically…

• Calneon says:

They’re mutants, you expect them to die from a few bullets? Most of the enemies are melee as well, so if they died easily the game wouldn’t be challenging.

• Kaira- says:

Not to speak about crappy ammunition you use most of the time, because military grade ammo was too valuable to be actually used as ammunition.

• royale says:

@trjp The game needs to be played on the ranger difficulty to be enjoyed, imo. I played on ranger from the get-go and Metro became one of my favorite games of the year. My second play through was on easy difficulty and–you’re right–the shooting was incredibly lame. Game-breakingly stupid. But with the more lethal bullets in ranger modes it’s an entirely different feel and a truly amazing experience. (I just finished my 3rd play through.)

22. Carter says:

Portishead eh? Interesting choice, really enjoyed Metro had the same vibe as Stalker despite them being completely different games

23. SuperNashwanPower says:

I didnt enjoy Metro 2033, I must admit – but by the time I had played it I had reached a sort of “Open world or bust” attitude to gaming. There were very few (and I guess its still the case to a certain extent) more linear titles that felt satisfying anymore, so that may have taken the shine off for me.

That said, the combat to me did feel a little weak, with very little positive hit feedback. There was also some godawful voice acting (the little boy who sounded like someone’s american nephew with a golf ball in his mouth attempting to be ‘russian’, admittedly curable by turning the russian dialogue on and adding english subs), and what I found to be really annoying gasmask bits. On the last point, a world like that needs to be explored and searched, and you cant do that if you are constantly running out of gas mask cartridges. I am pretty sure that modern gas masks last more than a minute. Lastly, the restrictive weapon slot system nicked off Far Cry 2. Just unnecessary.

Graphics were great, but overall the game hinted at so much more. If the new one is open world, and tweaks combat a little more, and foregoes the fragile gasmask mechanic, I would be quite interested.

• Outsider says:

Personally, I really enjoyed the gasmask segments, a lot. It added an element of harshness to the surroundings and the survival feel. It didn’t bother me that it made me rush sometimes because there wasn’t really anything outside to explore. It was almost always one single way to go fenced in by debris.

Which brings up one of a few things that I didn’t like about the game, perhaps solely due to my own off-the-mark preconceptions, was its complete linearity. Somehow I got under the impression there it would be more open. I don’t have a problem with linear games, it was just that I was exepcting something different and I don’t know why. Seeing that giant subway map on every loading screen and having no say where you went was a bit torturous. Also would have been great for pneumatic weapons to be separated out of the shotgun category.

The engine was unfortunately badly optimized, but I hope all of this is improved upon in the next game, as despite my aformentioned problems with Metro 2033 I really enjoyed it and its incredible atmosphere a lot.

24. Quasar says:

Metro 2033 really is one of the best ‘flawed gem’ games of recent years – It had its problems, sure, but the atmosphere really sold it to me. Playing through on the hardest setting (which removes HUD elements like ammo counters outside of the journal screen) is one of my favourite gaming memories.

25. inertia says:

All I gleaned from that trailer was that the game involves having nightmares about being killed by the Pyro, or something.

26. crazydane says:

Reminds me a bit of the end of the Battlefield 3 trailers. Must be the new thing with big game producers.

27. Lukasz says:

great.

28. aeromorte says:

Pff they could just make a decent trailer so i wouldnt download this and cut it to frames to see the god damn gameplay! baah sooner or l8ter

29. godgoo says:

this already has a steam store page with a bunch of preety screeen shotties!

30. svge says:

I liked the music

31. Sinkoristo says:

I’m I the only one that wishes for them to not push the graphics (at least much) further but solely focus on optimizing the current engine?

32. groghog says:

hopefully there’ll be more of the stealth killing humans this time round, those were my favourite parts of the 2033

33. Vandalbarg says:

It is a pretty fantastic screenshot to be fair.

34. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Honestly I wish the first Metro game was as dense and fleshed out as the book, and that it had similar strong themes.

That and I wish the horrible underground mutant sections weren’t in the game, even the book was better without them.

Nonetheless I’m looking forward to the next.

35. Shmoo Mentality says:

Typically disjointed Eastern European announcement trailer: check.

Statement from apparent THQ office troll: check.

Game engine described as “bespoke”: check and double check.

Welp, it’s all here. Count me anticipatory.

36. gwathdring says:

That was a weird trailer. About that not being marketed correctly thing …

• gwathdring says:

I love the aesthetic of the game, though. There are some rather lovely screenshots hanging around the Internet.

37. Cradlejoe says:

I really want to play Metro 2033 but if I’m being honest I’m a complete wuss. Just how scary is it on a scale of 1 to 10? (1 being Peggle and 10 being Amnesia) I’m hoping for something close to Ravenholm but expecting worse :(

• gwathdring says:

Ravenholm have me a little jittery and unnerved. I don’t really like blood, and have a rather physical reaction to it even when psychologically at ease, so walking through the saw mill had me pretty good. Mostly it was the jumpy, “Holy shit I wasn’t expecting that” type thing rather than mild terror.

• Thants says:

Only if you think trudging through a dark, long abandoned Russian subway tunnel with a dim hand-pumped flashlight waiting for something horrible to jump out at you is scary. So, yes.

38. ZIGS says:

Multiplayer huh? Enjoy your 5-hour long campaign

• EOT says:

This may come as a surprise, but not every game is Call of Duty or its clones. Shocking revelation that, i know, but true none the less.

39. poop says:

hopefully this one wont be an ok atmospheric stalkerish game ruined by having all of the feeling of isolation and wonder undermined by attaching you to fucking alexi vanceovich the entire game

• Thants says:

[Game] was totally ruined for me because of [minor quibble]. Internet hyperbole!

• poop says:

I wouldnt consider it minor, atmosphere is obviously supposed to be a big part of the game and bolting me to an npc hurt it alot for me.

i mean that and the shooting was pretty average, it ran poorly during the library stage and it was linear and scripted as fuck

thanks for the strawman though

40. kibayasu says:

Hmm, a doomsday device and a civil war. That concerns me. It’s very early of course, but that suggests to me it will be more about bombast and outright war rather than the slow and deliberate pace of 2033. But I’m more than willing to give 4A a chance.

Wonder how they’ll handle the Dark Ones.

41. Thants says:

Ah, Machine Gun! I always thought that song would be perfect for a bleak, post-apocalyptic wasteland like this.

42. laddyman says:

I am officially excited for this game. Metro 2033 remains one of my favorite games. It was a great mix of shooter elements (i still love how the guns feel in that game) and atmospheric survival-horror.

43. Zarx says:

Well I liked the first one…

44. FakeAssName says:

Rule #1 when faced with the impending Apocalypse: meticulously ram every single car in the city onto the freeway, as tightly as you can, with no sense of logic as to whether or not you will be able to get out your car post ramming. If the freeway is full and you have not yet rammed you car into anthing, you can optionally drive your car into every single lamp post in sight, and flipping your car over in the middle of the street with no apparent cause in sight is also acceptable.

*note* this is a communal effort, absolutely no automotive type vehicles are to be left functioning (unless they are constructed out of scrap metal and / or are prone to stalling at inopportune times) and under no circumstances should more than three (3) cars be left in any singe parking garage: the survivors will need them clear to fight mutants in and cruising the post-apocalyptic strip in a only slightly dented Volvo is just plane tacky.