Death To The Apocalypse: Darksiders II

By John Walker on June 1st, 2011 at 6:34 pm.

Is this too much of their image? They'll threaten to sue me again, won't they?

Did you play Darksiders? THQ’s hack-n-slashing action-them-to-bits had a nine month delay before its release on PC, which always subdues the reaction somewhat. When Jim got hold of it last September he was having a lovely time, right up until a dumb boss fight at the end of a long walk and unskippable cutscene kept splatting him with cars. But until that point it was offering lots of fighty-fun. So perhaps a sequel will provide a more refined pathway to an ending?

In the original you played quarter of the Horsemen super-troop, War. The next game will put you behind the wheel of Death, that notoriously morose fellow, in a story that parallels the previous events. (Assuming they go with Conquest for the third game, Darksiders IV is going to be gross.) Death’s trying to redeem War’s good name for starting the Apocalypse.

They’re promising a larger world, more complex weapon and armour upgrades, and “more challenging dungeons”, according to the press release I’m lazily reproducing. And apparently it’s worse than just some pesky Apocalypse – this is going to take down all of Creation (their capitalisation, evolution fans). So in a somewhat ironic quest, Death is trying to save mankind. Before, presumably, then killing them all at the end of the credits. (That would be brilliant. I really should be paid to write stories for games.)

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Dune says:

“Sadly any other useful information has been given to an American magazine which doesn’t like sharing. They’re doing one of their hub things, which means it’s unlikely we’ll be able to show anything interesting for a long while.
    I laughed.Hard.

2. tomeoftom says:

A starve-’em-up? *shudder*

3. Valvarexart says:

Consolified crap, The Witcher 2 will be better. No, actually Darksiders was pretty ok-ish, if played with a controller.

• Tei says:

I disagree. Is not console crap, but console gold. This type of videogame is what consoles do better. We can’t have God of War 2 on our PC*, but we can have this thing, that is the nearest to it that you can get.

(*with emulators, we can)

• meatshit says:

It’s a console game, but a fairly good one. I had a blast playing it (with a 360 controller) and loved the art style, though I should mention I haven’t owned a console since the original Playstation and haven’t played any of these God of Zelda games people keep going on about.

• Calneon says:

Though playing a game like this with a controller on a PC is the identical experience (you could even hook up a TV if you wanted).

Anyway, the first Darksiders was great, looking forward to the new one.

• Velvetmeds says:

even the worse consolized crap would be better than Witcher 2

• TsunamiWombat says:

YOUR GAME IS NO STARCRAFT OR WITCHER 2!!

• The Great Wayne says:

Big dudes wearing big armors and killing things must be a gears of war rip-off.

• Tuco says:

@Velvetmeds: you are trolling too hard, take a break.

4. abigbat says:

I bought the first game in a Steam sale but never actually played the thing. Received solid review scores as I recall, definitely one for a rainy day – the comparisons to Zelda are certainly tempting.

• skorpeyon says:

The Zelda comparisons are very accurate, as are the God of War comparisons. It’s like a delicious mashup of the gameplay from those two games, but with its own interesting story to tell and a very awesome setting.

• Eclipse says:

I’d compare it to Legacy of Kain \ Soul Reaver more than Zelda, but yes, it’s pretty much a linear game but with exploration elements, skills, weapons and epic boss fights

• mazzratazz says:

Legacy of Kain?! Maybe I should be interested in this after all.

• The Great Wayne says:

Definitely Soul Reaver-esque, yeah.

• Xocrates says:

I second the Legacy of Kain comparison. I never played Zelda or God of War (them being filthy console exclusive games and all) but the game did reminded me a lot of Legacy of Kain, downright to the environments and over the top gravitas.

• Ridnarhtim says:

Don’t forget Portal! There’s some of that in there, too.

• Xocrates says:

And Panzer Dragoon for that matter.

• DSDan says:

For non-console gamers who have no Zelda frame of reference, I’d compare it to Arkham Asylum, in that as you proceed through the game, new abilities and tools unlock which lets you explore previously inaccessibly segments of the previous areas. I enjoyed Darksiders.

5. Eidolon94 says:

Sorry for killing the joke, but in Darksiders, Conquest and Famine are replaced by Fury and Strife.

6. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Rather off-topic, but I just found the RPS Search Bar after all these months I’ve been coming here.

I shall search away now!

7. Unaco says:

Wow! I visited the website from the first link in the article… the Darksiders 1 website. There is a man/thing depicted on that site, whose Sword is bigger than his Horse! I can’t say I’ve seen such man/steed/weapon size disparity before, and I was slightly disturbed by seeing this one.

8. pakoito says:

I played it trying to embrace everything as much as I could and the game is mediocre. I mean, is visually stunning and game design ideas are good: Zelda-ish but with a different setup.

In the end the gameplay was bland, lineal, the puzzles were ok, the combat tedious and the graphic style was more for teenagers than gamers: big musculated high armored guys doing “COOL STUFF”. 8 hours chore run and back to the shelf to stay there until the end of the ages.

9. CoyoteTheClever says:

Conquest is only in the book version of the Armageddon. In pop culture its plague (Though I’m guessing Darksiders chose not to go with this judging from your article, which is odd considering how omnipresent plague is), which is a little less redundant =D. In the dispensationalist view though, it is the antichrist, which would probably be the most interesting choice.

10. Inigo says:

He couldn’t get past the Broken Stair miniboss?

Really?

• dadioflex says:

The car throwing boss I remember was at the end of the tutorial level. Hmm. Well, the cars sorta arrived and you threw them at him then battered him when he was dazed. Seem to recall the cutscenes were skippable as well. Maybe they patched it. I liked Darksiders but never did finish it.

• Bhazor says:

Ahem… http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/01/07/is-rps-gamings-stupidest-website/

A recent addition I’d like to add to that. Quinns prior to his WIT of Fallout New Vegas wrote about the bugs he’d encountered in the game. One of the bugs he mentions was that when ever he entered a town all the civilians would run away. Later on in the article he mentions that he didn’t know how to holster his gun. Which creates the great image of a man running around with a loaded shotgun asking why everyone’s so nervous.

Also we’re PC gamers. Are fast reflexes have been eroded by slow methodical strategy games and our baseless superiority complexes.

• Thants says:

And our spelling has been eroded by forum posting.

• Bhazor says:

And by the erosion of our edit rights.

11. Blaq says:

I quite enjoyed the first game, up to the point where it kept crashing and I couldn’t continue. Since there was zero support and exactly no patches for the PC version I was kinda shafted. So yeah, great game, stupid developer. (Also, 9 months for porting to the PC and the game had nothing to show for it.)

Not holding my hopes up for the sequel, which is a shame really.

• Inigo says:

My game kept crashing during a cutscene in the middle of the the arena fight. For some reason that specific enemy slowed my PC down to a crawl whenever he was on screen. I ended up having to slash at him blindly while keeping the camera pointed down at the floor.

• CoyoteTheClever says:

Well, at least you now have a story of how you’ve slain the beast of lag and returned fluidity to all the denizens of the internet!

• CoyoteTheClever says:

Though perhaps it doesn’t count since the game isn’t multiplayer :P

12. 8-bit says:

“Death is trying to save mankind. Before, presumably, then killing them all at the end of the credits.”

not wanting to post spoilers or anything but all the humans were killed during the tutorial mission of the first game, ain’t nobody left to save now.

darksiders was a fun zelda meets 90′s comic books kind of game, hopefully the second will focus more on original ideas instead of the whole “stealing every good idea from the best games of the past five years and hoping they work well together” thing they went with last time around.

• AndrewC says:

*All* of them? Oh my!

• TsunamiWombat says:

Ah but, this takes place along side the first game…and I would presume, DURING the Apocolypse then, since Death wasn’t around post Apocolypse while War was champing about.

Lets face it, it’s a shame we missed out on Armageddon, it’d be nice to fight the Last War.

• 8-bit says:

Oh my, it does indeed take place alongside the original, for some reason I didn’t see that part when I read the article, that’s my bad.

• 8-bit says:

Wait, now I have read the american article and that says he will be going to the underworld to save humanity which would imply that it takes place after the first, and war already cleared his name at the end of that, so which is it? Bah, the plot of the first game barely made any sense don’t know why I would expect any different here.

While I am here does this death remind anyone else of that horror movie guy, you know the one with the mask and the big knife? Keeps getting killed but isn’t magic, has about a hundred movies, I cant remember the name.

• Dave L. says:

No, I’m pretty sure it’ll take place at the same time. While War is rampaging around in the post-apocalyptic ruins of Earth, trying to clear his name and find out who was actually behind the fake apocalypse, Death will be in the underworld trying to resurrect humanity (since the human race is the ‘Third Kingdom’ and is necessary for the proper Apocalypse to happen.)

13. The JG Man says:

I played this on the console (heathen, I know) and played it through twice. Unoriginal, sure, but it was a solidly fantastic title that was really satisfying and enjoyable to play. The definitive 4 out of 5 game. If they build on that with their own identity, there’s no reason for Darksiders 2 to be an absolutely mind-meltingly good game. Besides, Death uses two scythes. I couldn’t wait for the sequel, especially with the “…god damn yes!” ending of 1.

(For what it’s worth, by pre-ordering Space Marine on Steam, you get a free copy of Darksiders. If you have a controller, I hear it’s better than the KB/M set-up, but I obviously don’t have that comparison to give. If you’re happy to go that on a whim, it’s more than worth a leap.)

14. Ravenger says:

I really liked the first game until I got to a multi-enemy boss fight where I repeatedly spent 10 minutes trying to beat them before dying and having to do the whole thing over again.

Reminds me why I hate console style save-points.

Though the original game ran really well on my PC it was a pretty poor PC port in terms of basic PC features like graphic options and detail levels.

It was also one of those games which you could only buy at retail for months despite being a Steamworks only game, due to one of those lame retail exclusivity agreements. Surely that’s counter-productive, because the first time I could buy it on Steam it had dropped to £5.

I don’t k

15. d00d3n says:

I really enjoyed Darksiders. The introduction segment of the game sadly sets the wrong tone (light hearted, heavy metal inspired and full av badassery) and turns people off. The real game is serious, demonic and twisted. I especially liked the interactions with the daemon lord Samael who stood out to me as one of the most fun characters of any game last year.

16. Jumwa says:

A friend bought me the first game, but it suffered from a common bug where it wouldn’t let me play without a Xbox 360 controller. And seeing as I wasn’t going to rush out and buy some expensive hunk of plastic I’d only use for one game, it’s gone unplayed.

Not interested in a sequel after such a shoddy port.

• Eddeman says:

I was pretty pissed when my ps2 pad didn’t work, but I ended up playing it with mouse+keyboard which actually worked really well, the controls were pretty similar to Arkham Asylum in that regard.

I find that games like this works well when you have the mouse to turn the camera and mash sword attacks, while doing fancy footwork with the keyboard. If you have to do everything on the keyboard it turns to uncontrollable shit fast (I’d like to see someone try playing Devil May Cry 4 without a gamepad, that game was the final straw that made me get a ps2 controller to PC converter).

• Jumwa says:

Since ditching console gaming for the PC, I can’t imagine a game controller really being a better instrument for gameplay than a mouse+keyboard. But I just wanted to play my darn game! It wont work at all unless I go buy a 360 controller.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

x360ce or MotionJoy will sort you out:

Used both successfully – on this game and many others – for enabling PS2 controller (via simple usb adaptor) to work perfectly (as if it’s an actual 360 pad).

Might take a handful of mins and a touch of initial frustration to setup, but then you’ll be as happy as an apocalyptic horseman entering a sold-out Disney Park on a bank holiday.

• Jumwa says:

I don’t own a PS2 controller either. The two latest game consoles I own are the Gamecube and Wii.

• Eddeman says:

Ah, not working even with a keyboard then. I would be pissed too, there’s no excuse for that kind of bug.

• Jumwa says:

The game is apparently designed for PC so that if it detects a 360 controller it automatically defaults to using that and wont allow you to switch to mouse+keyboard without unplugging it. However, there’s a common bug with the game where it detects a 360 controller that doesn’t exist and therefore locks you out of playing the game at all.

There are some fixes from fans out there, but none worked for me and were all ridiculously complicated anyhow. The very fact that the system was set up in such a way and wasn’t changeable through the options is ridiculous, anyhow.

17. Chizu says:

I thought it was War, Death, Famine and Pestilence, but okay :V
    Famine’s game would just consist of you rummaging through his kitchen, looking for the last scrap of food.

18. ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

oops! wrong section.
    Don’t mind me.

19. Azradesh says:

I rather loved the 1st one. Looking forward to the 2nd.

20. Mordsung says:

Biblically, the four horsemen are: War, Famine, Conquest and Death
    In popular culture, Conquest is commonly replaced with Pestilence.

Even then, only Death is actually named in the bible, the rest are only described and it’s “assumed” they represent War, Famine and Conquest.

In the bible, if I remember right, Death’s horse is referred to as Pestilence.

Comment on this story