It’s Official – Carmageddon: Reincarnation

By John Walker on June 1st, 2011 at 10:31 am.

A title means it's definitely real!

The Carmageddon reincarnation has been officially revealed. It’s called Carmageddon: Reincarnation, appropriately enough. (The website appears completely broken at the moment.) And it’s being made by the same team that created the original two games, Stainless Games.

“Carmageddon has returned to its Indie developer roots, and the time is right to bring the game to a new audience.”

Are the words from CEO and co-founder of Stainless, Patrick Buckland. He carries on,

“Originally an ambitious title that tested the hardware limits of its day, we’re excited that the game will finally get the showcase it deserves on today’s platforms.”

So it’s back, and it’s being developed independently. With seemingly the same irreverence and puerile glee that fed the first games. The other co-founder Neil Barnden adds,

“Carmageddon: Reincarnation will feature the same black humour and comic violence that made the original game such a success. All the laughs, the crazy power-ups, and extreme destruction will return. We will make sure the existing fans get what they want and expect from a Carmageddon game, and a new generation discovers the delights of sliding into a Cunning Stunt.”

Oh, those wags.

The game’s clearly a way off, described as being “in the early stages of pre-production development”, aiming for a 2012 release. And then for all their press release’s boasts of independence they add that they’re looking for “a partner with whom to move the project on to full production.” They intend to release it digitally across most platforms, as has been Stainless’s model for the last few years

So that’s pretty much: it exists. And nothing else. Sorry about that.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Stick says:

Ah yes, the racing games for folks wot hate racing games. Fond memories.

“Let’s see, win the race, or smash up all the other cars involved? Decisions, decisions…”

2. tanith says:

“[...] to a new audience.”

I don’t know. Sounds kinda fishy. :|
    Well, let’s hope they get it right.

3. simoroth says:

2012 will be a good year. :D

4. Jesper says:

Shouldn’t that be Reincarmation?

(My apologies.)

5. Brumisator says:

Holy crap. Only now do I realise the joke of the Cunning stunt!

I was such an innocent wee lad when I played Carmageddon. teehee.

6. mlaskus says:

Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! I love Carmageddon.

7. abigbat says:

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES.

8. .backslash says:

On one hand, awesome, I loved Carmageddon to death when I played it. On the other the Fox News crowd are gonna have an absolute field day when they hear about it.

9. skinlo says:

Prepare to be disappointed.

10. Moni says:

Does announcing a game this early without any details help the company’s value increase or something. I don’t really know how that stuff works.

11. dee says:

Hello, we have a “Page 1 of 1″ thingamajig.

12. Earl-Grey says:

Come again? A stunning c…? Oh, cunning stunt! My bad.

13. westyfield says:

Is this another of John’s “there’s no logo so I’ll slap one together in MS Paint” jobs?
    Because if not; daaaammnn.

14. ChowTOdust says:

OOOOOOOOOOOOH SHIIIIIIT! Carmageddon by the same team. This is like young Coppolla back to make Godfather 4.

15. starclaws says:

I just hope they bring back pedestrians, cows, sheep, and any other random thing to run over and destroy. The third one just wasn’t the same. I loved the 2nd one where you go head on vs. a giant dump truck. Stay true to the originals and fuck the lead if they say ‘it’s too violent’.

16. thepaleking says:

Console port.
    Day 1 DLC.
    Facebook connections.

• My2CENTS says:

FB Connections is not such a bad idea, especially if it pulls out that girl that rejected you and put her on the streets as a pedestrian!

• DeathHamsterDude says:

Deep-seated ennui.
      Irreversible.
      Never enjoy a game again.

• DeathHamsterDude says:

Wasn’t meant to be
      A haiku, but if you switch.
      Three to two it is.

• Magnetude says:

Press start to begin,
      Limited graphics options;
      Casual garbage.

• Urthman says:

Seriously. If this game doesn’t have a feature that grabs the faces from every picture on your Facebook friends list and texture maps them to the civilians wandering around waiting to get smashed, then some other game soon will.

Carmageddon, why not you? I would actually create a Facebook account, friend a bunch of people, and give you access to it if you add this feature Stainless.

17. LimEJET says:

Oh god yes.

18. RegisteredUser says:

“.. the time is right to bring the game to a new audience.”

Read: Forget Carmageddon. We are going to making geared 100% toward consoles now and all your heads explode in a ragefest.

Hah! Hows that for soiling sweet memories!

Cunning stunt coming?

God I hope not.

• Tom OBedlam says:

Does negativity make you happy?

• Chirez says:

I don’t see why consoles would affect Carma in any way tbh. Unless you’re hoping for maps the size of actual cities, which seems kinda dumb to me.
      The original had maps which would easily fit within console memory even a generation ago, and gameplay which seems to me to be right at home on either platform.
      Carmageddon is just not complex or subtle enough to be harmed by console development.

If they just built a decent engine and left the gameplay more or less alone, it would be a good game.

19. TH0TH says:

Couldn’t ask for better hands to be crafting it since TDR was … weird.
    I can still get carma 1&2 to run on W7 x64 with a good wrapper for 2, menu’s always squiffy but nvm the carnage is more than worth it.
    I look forward to spending hours on a level with over an hour on the clock, slowly… hunting…everyone…down.
    All will succumb to the careering vehicular monstrosity that will be the… what eagle mk 3 now?
    Can it look a little like its namesake from elite? :P

20. lethu says:

Suicidal pedestrians and the Drugs, if they are not in I am not playing it.

21. Tom OBedlam says:

Hell yeah, Carma 2 was one of my favourite games back then. Still haven’t seen damage modelling like that since.

22. mollemannen says:

the thing about carma is that it’s a really bad drving game but they added violence and everything was ok ^^

23. Echo says:

Oh man. We still play Carma2 on LANs by means of a wrapper that does IPX over TCP/IP and various other duct-tape-and-string hacks to keep it together.

24. Monchberter says:

I’m getting the distinct smell of ‘HD remake’ rather than ‘all new game’ around this announcement.

• LionsPhil says:

In theory, that is the kind of thing the Internet oft asks for. “Don’t ruin it by changing anything, just make it run on my new machine and look new-pretty.”

25. Teddy Leach says:

I am crying manly tears of joy. Cry with me, my friends.

26. spongthe1st says:

Am I the only one who feels this is a title the gaming scene/industry could quite happily live without?

Preparing for a lot of flak hitting gaming as a whole for the sake of a re-hash of an outdated concept.

• Dominic White says:

You do realise that a brand new Mortal Kombat game just came out, and nobody so much as blinked? It even sold big, and got good reviews!

Honestly, Carmageddon would have to try VERY hard to be as disturbingly violent as Sony’s flagship God of War series, which has some horrifically brutal scenes.

• spongthe1st says:

I’m not saying I would find it disturbingly violent, I’m saying it would attract negative mainstream attention even compared to the likes of Mortal Kombat, because, last time I checked, in Mortal Kombat you didn’t get to perform spine-extracting finishers on old ladies with zimmer frames. In God of War you were fighting other Greek Gods with their own sordid backgrounds. It’s a question of context in terms of what the mainstream media will find objectionable and vehicular manslaughter has always been a touchy subject particularly under the context of sport rather than the collateral damage in GTA. Ultimately what I am saying is I get tired of boring re-hashes of old games, even if they’re well done, it’s still a re-hash, and if it draws tiresome controversy is it worth the bother? My view is no, it isn’t.

27. Bats says:

Yes, this is exactly what I wanted. Same team, making the same game. Gleeeeeeeee

28. Scare Tactics says:

I still know the anecdote on how they did the crashing sounds: One of the guys decided they only get realistic crashing sounds if they drove over a cadillac with a caterpillar

29. zeroskill says:

This is like the only racing game I have ever enjoyed, im my life.

30. Stranglove says:

I made a mission for ARMA called CARMA-geddon. It’s a pun on two levels, which I quite liked.

I never played Carmageddon (game), but I really want to check this reincarnation out, it looks really sweet.

31. trjp says:

The original 2 games could put a smile on your face in the same way that the GTA games (upto Vice City) could…

Let’s hope the total humour vacuum that surrounded Rockstar (gameplay wise) from San Andreas onwards, hasn’t visited Stainless…

32. Songbearer says:

Oh, I didn’t realise it was Christmas already.

33. Reddin says:

Their description of TDR2000 is the greatest.
    Link

• SoupDuJour says:

Lol at that link :D

Hope they get it right, loved carma 1 and 2. It’s great that it’s being made by the original developer AND that they seem to know what they are supposed to go for, i.e. what made the original 2 good. That makes me hopeful.

34. int says:

I am so glad it’s Stainless who are making this.

35. Sinnorfin says:

Hehe.on the site click on history/ ‘carmageddon tdr 200 ‘ …

at least they got things right!

36. Brian Rubin says:

If they could take the best from the first two Carmageddon games and leave out the worst (timed missions, for example), this would rock my johnson even more than the original.

37. Fumarole says:

Ah, yes. I can’t wait to drive through Beef Curtains once again.

And in the game too.

38. Navagon says:

The original 2 (especially the first) really stand out as memorable games of my misspent youth. They were games of their time though. I’ve got no idea if it’s even possible to make a game now that would capture what those games were like.

39. Urthman says:

Two weeks ago today I was playing a pre-release version of Carmageddon 3. For those of you unfamiliar with the series, it’s like the Sims only instead of helping little computer people decorate their apartments, you run them over with a truck. About ten minutes into it, I yawned. I only planned to execute a regular yawn, but to my surprise it turned into one of those open mouthed, full bodied, eye-fluttering sighs that anyone who’s played the lead role in a movie or play about Caligula will recognize as a good way to express how jaded you’ve become about everything. That’s when it hit me: I live in the future, I own the most powerful electronic brain money could buy nine months ago, I’m using it to accurately simulate a murderous rampage, and I’m still bored.

40. YourMessageHere says:

This is superb, in principle. The only thing I’d like more than a new, good Carmageddon game is the first one with hardware-accelerated graphics and high-poly models (but nothing else, no AA or anything, the sharply pixellated environment textures were superb), the add-on pack integrated and the abilities to pick your opponents, have more racers per mission and actually wreck yourself. Put that on steam and I’ll give you money for it.

Comment on this story