Lawesome: Rage Shows Off The Authority

By Quintin Smith on June 1st, 2011 at 11:35 am.

I like the perpetually surprised face that those blue dots make. :o

It doesn’t seem right, watching two of the calmest developers you will ever lay eyes on talk about a game called Rage, but that’s exactly what you’ll find after the jump. Apparently intercepted on their way to a bikram yoga class, these two were happy to spend plenty of time answering questions about The Authority, the corporate future-bastards you’ll be fighting in Rage alongside all those grubby mutants. I’m not sure, but I think this game looks prettier every time they release footage of it.

Mind you, mutants graduating into flashy super-soldiers is a not uncommon pairing in post-apocalyptic games. The most recent example would be Bulletstorm, I suppose.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. DeathHamsterDude says:

Oh man Quinns. I can’t unsee the blue dots!!! Damn you, damn you to hell!

2. Scatterbrainpaul says:

Why am I not finding this game impressive or interesting, what’s wrong with me?

• FakeAssName says:

probably because all we have seen is the game being played with a controller, and the menus are all console based, and the combat seems easy as all hell, and because none of the NPCs have a shred of the personality that they did in the early concept videos, and because in the last few years since the game was virtually ready to ship under the EA partners title it has somehow lost almost all of it’s shine.

… so, essentially, your not thrilled because the game now reeks of “Bethesda.”

• HexagonalBolts says:

Yes I’m the same. I think it’s because it feels rather recycled. Turrets are shamelessly recycled. All of the weapons feel exactly the same as other games before. Vehicles have been done before extensively. All of which is very similar to borderlands. The enemies feel a bit generic and the same as most of the other stodgy ID shooters. And other than weapons, enemies and vehicles, it doesn’t look like there’s a whole lot else to this game.

• FLBR says:

@HexagonalBolts; Yeah recycled is right.

@0.20 + @3:01 – That looks like a bigger Doom 3 Zombie Commando.

The Authority? Doom 3 Z-Secs.

@2:32 + @4:00 – That’s a Doom 3 Sentry bot skinned like the Doom 3 Trite.

@3:22 – Looks like Doom 3′s Hell Knight.

Rage < 4 letters

Doom < 4 letters

Rage = Doom 3.2

• RogB says:

its not just you. i got a tremedous sense of ‘meh’ from the video. kinda nice tech, but used to create the same wastelands we’ve been seeing for years. Looks like the same old gameplay too.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Authority = Crimson Lance

• MadMatty says:

It does seem a bit bland on first look, but ID got a penchant for doing things right- i still enjoyed Doom 3 and Raven´s Quake 4 a lot, even tho there wasn´t much striking originality.
      Their games just ooze of a special atmospheric brutality, and level design keeps you on your toes.
      I´ts more like they´re packing the Finesse these days, albeit not the Revolution.

• Teddy Leach says:

I too am not awed by this. It just looks so… generic.

• Meatloaf says:

That’s the… I guess it’s not really a problem, but let’s call it one. That’s the problem I’ve always had with id. They’re always behind. They’re really good at making engines and levels and such, and because they’re an old company populated by old designers, they’re great craftsmen. John Carmack is one of the best programmers I’ve ever heard of. However, they’re so careful and meticulous about their games that they just end up behind the times. Imagine this being shown in… say… 2007 or 2008, when Bioshock and Borderlands and the like were just coming into existence. This would’ve fit perfectly.

Now it just feels tired and generic. Yeah, it’s going to be polished as hell. id games always are. But it’s too late. Everyone’s sick of this stuff.

3. HexagonalBolts says:

I don’t know how to feel about this. It looks very similar to Borderlands. It looks like it has the potential to be brilliant, and it sure does look pretty, but if it was just Borderlands with better graphics (i.e. a bland story, huge numbers of repetitive bland respawning enemies) then I’d be really disappointed.

• Cradlejoe says:

It doesn’t look completely like border lands to me, more like a bit of Borderlands mixed with some Bioshock and other stuff

• Taverius says:

According to Steam I spent some 200 hours playing Borderlands, so I am ambivalent …

• HexagonalBolts says:

That sounds like a pleasant combination to my mind, just as long as it isn’t hours of shooting the same boring enemies

• FakeAssName says:

the combat is what makes me thing of borderlands, for all the dodging and hiding that goes on in these videos the character easily has got enough speed and HP simply run up to every single enemy and pop them in the head with the shotgun while circle strafing faster than they can rotate.

that and how the environment had got virtually no physical reaction to massive explosions and 20ft mutants running into dilapidated cars.

4. Rii says:

Those really are some cool froods.

I really don’t like that piss-weak SMG. Still, in most other respects it looks solid enough. I could see this working out for me.

5. lethu says:

“Apparently intercepted on their way to a bikram yoga class…”

On their way to a “sitting” or “cleaning” would have fitted better with “two of the calmest developers”, meditation is the yoga of the mind, so it would make more sense. However this doesn’t apply if they were indeed on their way to a yoga session, and not only a pure invention for the sake of the story’s needs.

Good job though as usual, all of the articles are exceptionally well written… except…. for… the… mhh.. the.. ah… typos..

My apologies

6. Cradlejoe says:

That headshot on the Authority soldier was brilliant!

7. McDan says:

Looks very pretty, but I’ll be dissappointed if you can’t join the Authority. That could be fun.

• FakeAssName says:

I’m sorry but this isn’t Fallout, and I really doubt they are going to pull a Quake 4 and re-skin the main character ….

god damn it! now I suddenly want to re-play Quake 4, I’ve had a rig capable of running it in ultra mode for a while now … just gotta pull the install disk out from where I last lost it.

8. skyturnedred says:

Some of the guns could use a bit more of the good ol’ oomph!-factor. Could just be the audio quality, but they sound like pea shooters. Needs to be more Ballsy.

9. Kolchak says:

Et tu, Carmack? Even ID Software is doing regenerating health plus ugly Bloddy Screens.

ID didn’t become one of the greatest developers of all time by following what everyone else was doing. They became one of the greatest by doing the stuff that everyone else would do later. I want to like this game but it just looks like all the other rooty tooty point and shootys.

10. Alexander Norris says:

Hey! What’re the soldiers from the last Human Revolution trailer doing in Rage?

11. Inigo says:

Hey, look – it’s the Crimson Lance!

Oh.

12. RogB says:

that ‘split screen into 2 images when taking damage’ effect is incredibly hard on the eyes..

13. The Pink Ninja says:

“Sod this, I want a better game”

14. magnus says:

Perhaps I’ll make a few thinly veiled threats to torrent it, that’ll serve them right for not being so psychic they know exactly how I want the game be like and making a game that really just a rip-off of Space Invaders!

• Inigo says:

Someone really should hire Warren Ellis to do more storylines for games. And then possibly keep extra funds on hand to pay for the increasing amounts of mind-altering drugs required to keep him in a relatively harmless state. What with him being a savage little pygmy-man who lays eggs in the chests of his victims and everything.

Allegedly.

• Stick says:

Ok, mildly intimidated now:

“I’ve already fought this fight a million times during QA, I won before you even showed up.”

15. kazooka says:

I’ve seen the ads for this on ESPN.com. Oddly enough, they made me like Blake Griffin and really dislike the game itself. It’s a really special form of marketing failure.

16. ResonanceCascade says:

I’ve not seen one person stick up for this game on the interweb, so I guess I’ll have to step up to the plate.

This looks fucking awesome. The combat looks fluid and slick, the visuals are beautiful, the enemies are varied and interesting (and overtly id-looking) and it’s made by id, who in my opinion have never made a bad game. These guys make fast-paced shooters with great controls, and they do it better than any other developer. Day 1 purchase.

• Angel Dust says:

I’m almost in complete agreement with you (I thought Doom 3 was pretty poor); everything I’ve seen of this makes it look like great fun. I’m sure there will be better games this year but this is the one I’m looking forward to the most at the moment. It just looks tight.

17. Ezhar says:

These guys sound so chillaxed and confident. Like they know they’re making an awesome game that will speak for itself and doesn’t need them talking it up. I hope it’s true!

18. Navagon says:

The game does look good for what it is. I think that it’s important to keep in context the fact that it’s not Borderlands 2 and isn’t trying to be. That said, while the rest of the arsenal looks good, that shotgun looks mighty disappointing. Kind of like the one in the original Quake. That crossbow-looking thing looks like the kind of weapon I want to be firing though.

Comment on this story