The Sword In The Stone: King Arthur’s Gold

By Quintin Smith on June 1st, 2011 at 2:55 pm.

In my dreams, I'm posting about a sequel to The Adventures of Robin Hood on the Amiga

Friend of RPS Phill Cameron pinged this at me this morning, the sweetie- indie project King Arthur’s Gold is big ol’ team-based multiplayer battle with an emphasis on destructible terrain and constructing defenses. In essence, it’s a 2D, medieval interpretation of the incredible Ace of Spades. Which was, of course, a more combative interpretation of Minecraft. Between this and Terraria, we’ve got quite a commendable amount of larceny going on. It’s so nice seeing those strong ideas honed and repurposed.

Want to learn more about King Arthur’s Gold? I’ve got info and footage after the jump. Or, if you’d prefer, you can just start playing it here.

Here’s the basics of how it works. Click for bigger!

The aim of the game is to mine the level’s gold and drag it back to your team’s rather meagre little tent. As the Builder class, you’ll be able to mine this gold, as well as build ladders, walls, doors and even catapults. Alternatively you can play as a Knight or an Archer, and make forays into the enemy’s side of the level with the aim of slaughtering them and picking gold off of their bodies.

That’s basically it. But as anyone who’s played Ace of Spades will tell you, when you can rip apart and reassemable the level as you see fit, things are never simple or easy. As in AoS, the average KAG server is always full of elaborate (and mostly half-finished) deathtraps, with players desperate to undermine each other both literally and metaphorically.

That said, combat in King Arthur’s Gold’s is a lot more forgiving than in Ace of Spades. It’s a more relaxed experience, was my impression- instead of picking your way across a sniper-studded warzone, here you always see enemies long before they’re in range, meaning you have ample time to go pegging it back towards your home.

Definitely give it a shot. This is a genre I’d love to see develop into something grander and more commercial.

« »

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. pakoito says:

Fun fact: this is what Terraria PvP on-the-coming aims to be.

2. Coins says:

It, um, looks like Terraria.

• gorgol says:

Aye, but it is much more focused on PvP than terraria.

Looks good to me! Worth a try.

• Berzee says:

Correction — it looks like Terraria but with actual pixel artists involved =)

• Tei says:

I like the Terraria style more. You can tell the foreground from the background. The animations on this one looks like too simple (2 or 3 frames). Also, you can’t have a proper medieval game withouth pigs on fire.

3. Conrad B Hart says:

Seems to have graphics/music/general style very much in the vein of King Arthur’s World on the SNES, no? I don’t think the name is a coincidence.

• Stranglove says:

KAG is KAW inspired according to the devblog.

• Reapy says:

Was going to guess that based on the name and also the art style. I loved king arthur’s world so much, but not many people have heard of it as far as I know. When playing terraria, I swear that the sound you make when you get hit, is the same one from KAW, it just sounds ridiculously similar.

Anyway really look forward to trying this out. I feel like the create/build terrain thing is coming in full force here and for some reason it seems much more pleasant in 2d than 3d, although more limited in what you can construct.

Really awesome to see some innovation happening in games, too bad it can only seem to come from indies.

• Thants says:

King Arthur’s World is the first thing I though of. I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s played it. Now we just need an indie game inspired by E.V.O.

• Swanny says:

The music is exactly the same as the SNES’ King Arthur’s World.
      I played that game so much that that particular version of Ride of the Valkyries can never be forgotten.

4. Mike says:

So how does this slot into your musings on multiplayer tower-defence, Quinns? I guess it’s not quite asymmetrical enough to work like that.

5. Kdansky says:

Suddenly, Clonk everywhere.

6. rebb says:

Is the master server offline ? All i get is “Authenticating” .

7. gorgol says:

BTW, the trailer you have up is an old one I think Mr. Smith. The newest one is this one if I’m not mistaken, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kroakAVTL2E

8. Pinky G says:

Thats the wilhelm scream for deaths.

• disperse says:

Thank you!

After hearing that scream in the Sound Sense version of Dwarf Fortress I’ve been hearing it everywhere: Star Wars movies, Children’s movies, video games… I thought I was going mad!

• Pinky G says:

Yeah, I can really imagine that would have been a living nightmare. Something just beyond your grasp, niggling at you… glad its over!

9. karry says:

“multiplayer”

Fuck.

10. Stranglove says:

This game is rather good fun, although it does seem to lack something. I think it’s the fact that everyone tunnels, and no-one builds castles at all, which makes me sad :(

Also, do I get extra kudos because Phill pinged it to me before RPS?

11. Atic Atac says:

This game clearly has the best death sounds around

12. Nighthood says:

Ace of Spades is still by far the best block based game, especially now that it has custom maps and smoothed out movement. The autoclimb feature makes running over the map so much easier, instead of having to spam jump to get over blocks.

• Stranglove says:

I’m not particularly fond of the voxlap engine, it seems so unpolished compared to other Voxel engines (such as ANZ’s engine). That said, the game makes brilliant use of it and manages to present some brilliant gameplay at times.

• Mad Hamish says:

And you can invert the mouse in the latest versions yay. I’ve been meaning to get back into AoS. Must try and get my Battlefield buddies to play it. Which reminds me, the next thing he needs to implement in AoS is a conquest mode like Battlefield.

• Vandalbarg says:

Agreed. I’ve been playing AoS since the RPS article, whereas I got bored of Minecraft very quickle indeed. The cut throat competition, the way it rewards the patient, careful, almost sociopathic player… damn, it’s like a fun version of Vietnam.

Damn and blast the griefers though.

• Pinky G says:

Here is a link to the forum topic for ace of spades.

13. FataMorganaPseudonym says:

big ol’ team-based multiplayer battle

Aaaaaaaand… that’s the point where I completely lost all interest.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Yeah, me too. But still! It’s good to see more Minecraft-alikes. It’s an exciting genre with gobs of potential, and the more experimentation, the better.

Now if only there were some more entries in the Dwarf Fortress genre (Goblin Camp is ok, but quite different).

14. Robert says:

To be clear: I dislike the fanboyish wars between Minecraft, Terraria, DF, Infiniminer about who did what and who stole from whom..

That said, this game reminds me of : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOiisvEuRt8
    King Arthur’s WORLD

15. Dave Mongoose says:

I think it’s a bit unpleasant for them to have a player quote at the start of the trailer saying ‘Beats the utter crap out of terraria’…

For one thing, Terraria aims to provide a massive amount of PvE content while this seems entirely PvP focused – there’s room for them both to co-exist without throwing around those kind of comments, and some people will be put off by that attitude from the developers.

• Nevard says:

I know one of the developers and IIRC the trailer was actually fanmade
      On top of that it’s someone’s opinion and taken from in game chatlogs, but I can see why you might find it a bit tasteless

• tmargul says:

I thought it was a rather poor attitude as well.

16. Tei says:

Master server is down just now, and don’t reply. Maybe is overloaded with requests.

[485] Connection to master server failed.
    [1734] Connection to master server failed.

• Vandalbarg says:

Man, this always seems to happen when RPS reports on these games. It’s a good sign, I spose

17. Teddy Leach says:

I’d prefer it if Open Clonk had more frequent updates. I mean, it’s a nice enough game, but… But I’m drunk.

18. DarkFarmer says:

Master server seems to be down? Can’t query games. Anybody know where there’s a server up? Thx.

QuantaCat says:

Wouldnt it be funny if in the end, it was all the minecraft developers idea to make 2D versions in different iterations, in order to have every base covered?

20. Sisyphus says:

Had the same master server trouble, but people were posting IPs in the comments on the KAG website so I jumped into one of those.
    Had a rocky start, but ended up having a blast as more people joined the server and we built intricate trenches, forward positions and keeps replete with MURDER HOLES.

EDIT: There’s a new version up, and the server problem is fixed. Jump in! MURDER HOLES

21. Pinky G says:

(pointless comment wasting valuable internet space)

22. Melf_Himself says:

Game download is hosted on Mediafire which appears to be an aggressive, pop-up laden short-cut to the nether void of the interwebs. Poor move on developer’s part.

23. kuran says:

Why in tarnation does the installer recommend me to install Internet Explorer 9?!