Capcom Change SSFIV:AE DRM

By Jim Rossignol on June 2nd, 2011 at 7:47 pm.

FIGHT!
I do believe that is the longest abbreviation I have ever put in a headline. But still not as long as the one Lewie used in the original story about this issue. The news should be clear, however: Capcom have announced some substantial changes to their original DRM plan for the PC version of Super Streetfighter IV’s Arcade Edition. Christian Svensson writes:

Shortly after launch (it might even be at launch, but we’ll see how submission timing and approval goes) we will roll out a small title update that will completely remove the character limitations for offline mode. That is to say, once you’ve updated, you will be able to use all 39 characters when not connected to the Internet to practice your combo timings, have some fun with a friend on a laptop, or whatever while offline.

So that’s different. It’s not too surprising either, given Svensson’s apparent attention to PC as a format.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Radiant says:

This is GREAT.
    This way offline play is fine and the only time you need an internet connection is when you are actually playing online.

Good shit capcom.

2. pakoito says:

The thing it’s not clear yet is whether game will be saved or not offline to then be uploaded when Internet’s back.

Anyway good job, Capcom.

PS: Still has GFWL right?

• Vagrant says:

On the upside, this is a fighting game, so save games are generally pretty irrelevant. All the characters come unlocked, so that’s not really a concern. I just hope they have the DRM removed by Quakecon.
      Right now my biggest concern is if they do the same dumb mistake of not enabling 2 players to run off the same keyboard, which made using home built arcade controls difficult. It required a hack, and more importantly, that hack only worked when signed in to GFWL.

EDIT: Just read their original post where they talked about their DRM, and apparently they already fixed the keyboard complaints. Touche.

3. Bhazor says:

OFF TOPIC
    Four minutes left on the GOG timer. If you want to watch the live stream I suggest you start it now as the last live stream crashed the server after half an hour.

Edit: It’s up.

• Untitled says:

Haha they really didn’t think that through… Their server can’t take the load of everyone being automatically refreshed at the zero mark.

• Bhazor says:

Finally starting. My bet is on all five publishers joining because I’m a crazy optimist and crave disappointment.

• Bhazor says:

Dungeon Keeper, Wing Commander and Ultima Underworld now on Gog. All for $5.99.
      Fuck me… the weekend just started early for me.

4. TotalBiscuit says:

Capcom is one of my favourite developers and publishers but their nonsense with the PC market has upset me recently. This is a good step forward and shows they’re listening to PC gamer concerns.

• MadTinkerer says:

Indeed. I am again considering buying the game.

Of course, the fact that SF4 runs amazingly slow on my current gaming PC means that I am going to wait for a hardware upgrade regardless, but at least Capcom will (possibly) get my money eventually.

• telpscorei says:

Indeed Ser Biscuit. I’m still cautious of the DRM, and the final decision will come down to how exactly it’s implemented, but this at least gives me hope for the future, both of SSF4:AE’s and of Capcom’s.

5. Khemm says:

Too bad whoever was interested in the game was going to buy it anyway (to play ONLINE) and those who moaned “because moaning whenever DRM is mentioned is trendy” weren’t interested in this game to begin with.
    Typical.
    Still, thanks Capcom for showing you care.

• brian says:

The issue was that people who were going to buy it under the impression that they’d be able to practice combos and play their friends locally weren’t able to, for most people who are into fighting games even if you’re not playing someone else offline you’re still spending 20-30% of the time in training mode, for people who move around a lot it’s a huge draw to be able to practice on a laptop whenever.

• Wilson says:

@Khemm – I don’t see why you have to have a personal stake in something before you can moan about it, if it’s clearly wrong (or even if you just think it’s wrong). I could say that you’re only moaning about people moaning because it’s trendy, but it would hardly be fair to say that with no evidence at all…

• Barnaby says:

:golf clap: for Wilson.

(no sarcasm intended)

• zergrush says:

“Too bad whoever was interested in the game was going to buy it anyway (to play ONLINE)

That emphasis made me laugh quite hard. Good job.

6. Will Tomas says:

It looks very much to me like they’ve decided that the main focus of DRM is to prevent early-day piracy, or pre-launch piracy. Once the initial few days of sales are over they’ll get rid of the DRM. This is rather like what CDProjekt did with the boxed Witcher 2, although it was less restrictive there in the first place.

• sebmojo says:

I reckon people would be quite happy with a couple of months of restrictive DRM coupled with a patch that removed it. If it bothers you, wait till they remove it.

7. RedFaust says:

OK guys i know it has nothing to do with the subject but seeminlgy EA has planned to put kinect in MASS EFFECT 3 O_O http://kotaku.com/5807628/will-mass-effect-3-really-be-better-with-kinect It deserve a news by itself however…

8. The Hammer says:

Ugh. Damn it. Now it looks like this game is back on my to-buy list!

9. Geralt says:

Good news!

And mad props to Svensson!

10. mashakos says:

Svensson is the man. Sincerely.

11. Hatsworth says:

Pre-ordered.

Edit: More info from Sven:

To clarify a few other questions from above, I got some other answers:

Assuming you are logged in to your profile account, in offline mode:

1. DLC you’ve purchased will also still be available for you to use.

2. Single player achievements can still be earned and will be synced with your online profile the next time you are online.

12. Icarus says:

Might actually consider buying this now. I lack a decent fighter.

13. James T says:

Completely turned me around with this news; PC SSF4 is go, finally!

14. JohnnyMaverik says:

I’m not a massive Capcom fan but hey, credit where credit’s due, they’ve responded to this pretty quick and it’s all sounding promising.

15. vash47 says:

Big props to Capcom for coming to their senses.

Comment on this story