Prej Your Allegiance: Sect 8 Prejudice Update

By Quintin Smith on June 2nd, 2011 at 2:03 pm.

Fancy meating you here.

After the RPS Hivemind failed to get everything we were hoping for from Brink, there was a collective sense that we should instead spend some quality time with the more bombastic Section 8: Prejudice. We haven’t actually done that yet, but this weekend’s looking like a great time to start. The game’s just received a patch balancing and smoothing things out (full notes here), and to celebrate the release of the Overdrive map pack this weekend will see players earning double XP. Overdrive details and trailer after the jump.

In short: $4.49 for two new maps, or a third of the price of the original game. Caw, developers are chintzy with their maps these days. They must be raking it in. As for the double XP weekend, it starts on Friday at 1am EST (or 6am GMT) and finishes on Monday at the same time.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Herzog says:

Some more people buying this game would be good as the playerbase is very small. Maybe you should have mentioned that the only way to get the mappack is over the gfwl store, so you cant buy it over steam.

• Hallgrim says:

Oh gods I hadn’t even considered this. Fucking GFWL. Is it not enough to have to deal with the 30-second log-in delay, and glacial server refreshing?

• subedii says:

I thought you said you wanted to expand the playerbase?

Ah well, I was in the beta way back when. It was… OK. But to be honest the biggest thing I can say for it is that it caused me to break off my hiatus from TF2, and go back to playing it with the realisation that “Hey, this is still a really fun game even now.”

So I dunno, do I count that that a plus or a minus?

• WaveOfMutilation says:

Every time this game gets mentioned or brought up it takes me a full minute to remember that the reason I haven’t brought it yet is because of GFWL.

• Gnoupi says:

Yeah, because Steamworks games are incredibly fast to refresh server lists and have no volume issues (see Brink recently).

I was glad to have DoW Retribution switch to Steamworks. I thought it would be better, faster, more reliable. In practice, it takes me close to twice longer to get matched with other players for a Last Stand game, compared to the previous games with GFWL.

So I understand the reasons people have to hate GWFL. But it’s not especially all black and all white.

• Pew pew LAZORS says:

Maybe some more people would be buying this game if it was available to them on steam.

• Herzog says:

You can get the game on steam. The newly released mappack, you cannot.

• subedii says:

@ Gnoupi:

All I can say is that since the switch to Steamworks, I feel DoW2 has been better, faster and ESPECIALLY more reliable.

Then again, I primarily play 3v3′s, not Last Stand, so I don’t know how that changes things. However, IIRC they changed the rules by which the game matches up Last Stand teams to some different qualifications since Retribution released, so I suspect if you’re having issues there it may be more down to different matchmaking criteria than Steamworks itself. YMMV of course.

Personally speaking, the matchmaking in 3v3′s before was utterly atrocious, teams were always mismatched to heck and it was pretty much impossible to get games going with guys roughly around your skill level

The biggest improvement since the switch to Steamworks was simply the fact that now the vast majority of my games happen with guys roughly as good as I am. And that has made the gameplay difference night and day, I have to say. Back under GFWL I would literally spend entire nights getting rolled, I’m talking 6-7 games straight, because NAT errors and TS matchmaking would create ridiculous matchups. This was not an uncommon occurrence either. I have yet to repeat that experience under Steamworks even once, and you have no idea how happy this makes me.

Being able to fast patch certainly doesn’t hurt either. I’m never going to regret their decision to go with Steamworks, it’s just been such a huge improvement where I find the game fun again where under GFWL it was constant nights of frustration.

• Pew pew LAZORS says:

@Herzog
      Steam stooped selling new gfwl games to people from countries that are not suported by gfwl.
      I cant buy Lost Planet2, Dead Rising 2, Bulletstorm, Fable 3 and Sect 8 Prejudice on steam. I also cant buy them on gfwl market place because of the same reason.

• WaveOfMutilation says:

@Gnoupi
      With GFWL the Last Stand was unplayable for me. The service would constantly set me up with players on the other side of the world and either them or I would drop in the first 5 minutes. Considering it would take 10 minutes to find a game this was incredibly frustrating and why I eventually gave up on the DoW 2 multi-player.

The steam match making has been much better, still not perfect in my mind, but I no longer end up playing with two guys from Texas or someone in Europe.

A not too proud member of the God forsaken prison known as Australia in case you’re wondering.

2. Koozer says:

Love the game, will definitely be paying over the weekend, but I’m not buying maps.

3. Gilly says:

Well, this sucks.

With the map pack out, and veteran (heh) players already being sick and tired of the old maps, everyone will insta-migrate to the new maps. Which I can’t play on, because GWFL doesn’t allow cusotmers to use PayPal and I don’t have a credit card.

So the servers I *can* play on will possibly be even emptier than before, which was already a critical problem :/

• subedii says:

I have to agree with Gilly. Maybe not with “Veteran” players necessarily abandoning the old maps, but the problem is that they’re splitting the playerbase. And when you’ve already got small numbers, this only makes things worse.

Games like CoD can get away with it because they have huge player counts so it’s not likely to cause a noticeable effect for the remaining population. Witch smaller playerbases though, it can end up causing multiplayer numbers to decrease even faster simply because it becomes harder to find decent games.

• Anton says:

I know a way to solve that problem…. REMOVE THE F*CK!N’ RESTRICTIONS AND LET EVERYBODY PURCHASE THE DAMN GAME FROM ANYWHERE AROUND THE FREE WORLD!!!

*nuff said*

4. PatrickSwayze says:

I ended up getting this on xbox simply because of the release delay and GFWL essentially killing mp games dead on pc. I have no problems with GFWL but did they not see what happened to Blacklight: You’ve been Tangoed?

With it being so bloody good I half wish they’d gone for another full retail release though, with some kind of early access beta which is all the rage these days to garner some support.

Oh well, it’s not to be. Le sigh.

5. Hallgrim says:

Hmmm, what to think.

“Changed Autobalance to more aggressively place you with Friends” makes me happy. No tweaks to weapon balance (like the absurd riot pulse gun) makes me sad.

Like most people, I’m instinctively turned off by charging for maps, but the game is pretty amazing (doesn’t feel at all like a $15 project). After consideration, it doesn’t make sense to refuse to pay $5 for maps for a great game that was very cheap.

• Teddy Leach says:

“Put me with my friends. PUT ME WITH MY FRIENDS.”

“HERE. HERE ARE YOUR FUCKING FRIENDS. PLAY WITH THEM! NOW!”

6. jonfitt says:

There used to be a time when multiplayer shooters were rare enough that even minor old ones had a player base. Even small-ish mods had players. Now it seems hard for them to gain traction, and that’s a vicious cycle which ends a multiplayer game’s life quickly.

So far in recent memory, on recommendation from RPS I have bought the following games which while very fun didn’t have a player base large enough to get a decent game going:
    Plain Sight
    Dog Fighter
    Shattered Horizon

I just don’t see myself picking up S8P unless it gets a good player base.

• Gnoupi says:

Depends on the game, really.

You have little games like Altitude, which look like small things that people will desert after a week or two. But more than a year after, it still has an active community, regular “new blood”, and leagues for the veterans.

• Alexander Norris says:

I just don’t see myself picking up S8P unless it gets a good player base.

And where do you think it’s going to get a player base? :P

The thing with indie MP games is that very few people play them. The way to fix this is by getting people to buy the game despite the population, so that more people have the game. After a certain number of players, you reach critical mass, but it’s incredibly hard for an indie MP game to get there.

“I won’t play it because it doesn’t have players (because I won’t play it)” is a bit daft.

As an aside, though, fuck paid map packs forever,

7. LazerBeast says:

The patch is as big as the game? At least on Steam it seems to be so.

8. Teddy Leach says:

Funnily enough, every server I’ve ever played on has been either at capacity or nearly at capacity.

9. NR says:

The pun in the alt-text doesn’t work, dammit… Now I’m all :(

10. Lagwolf says:

I have really enjoyed this and rarely have a problem finding a game. This is well worth the price of admission, so glad I bought it. Not going to be buying the new pack either alas.

11. Lobotomist says:

I would really really like to buy this game.

But GWL = no go

12. Vandelay says:

I’m not really opposed to charging for map packs, but it would have been nice for at least the first pack to be given for free, particular considering the base game is a little slim on them. It may also encourage a few players in, as well as some to return (myself included, as I’ve not really played since Brink.)

The price is much more palatable than map packs for other games though, being only a little more than £1 a map, so I might give it a go. Sone extra gear to go with them would be good too, particularly if they could benefit whole teams and not just those that bought it, but that seems to be lacking.

13. Anthile says:

I guess the priced map pack is some sort of GFWL/Xbox witchery. What a shame.

14. Tacroy says:

Man, I was just thinking about getting this game last night since I’ve been wanting to shoot at people… I’m not sure it’s worthwhile going through GFWL, or going through the GFWL store in order to buy the map pack (which will probably be necessary I imagine, given that the people who have been playing will be more likely to buy it and will probably be on the new maps)

15. bit_crusherrr says:

Totally would of bought that map pack if I didn’t have to use magical microsoft dubloons to buy it.

16. Brutal Deluxe says:

Does this mean everyone’s abandoning Brink now? Arrghh I’ve only just ordered it as it’s on sale…

17. Mac says:

Steam really annoys me when it wants to download the full game again to patch – doing this on Section 8 as it does on DOW2 … really bugs me …