Darksiders 2 E3 Trailer Is Pulp, Predictable

By Quintin Smith on June 3rd, 2011 at 4:23 pm.

I AM BECOME DEATH, DESTROYER OF MEDIOCRITY

Jim posted this yesterday, assuming it was a leak and that it would be pulled down quickly. He was right on both counts, the smooth little genius, but now the same trailer’s been officially released and awaits you below. Seeing as this is a video of a video game you might possibly play down the line, in watching this trailer you are, essentially, gazing into your own future. You ever think of it like that?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Xocrates says:

“I’ve watched this video three times now, and every time I do I laugh with such intensity at the voice at 0:42 that I choke on my tea. Bit much, guys?”
    That’s a bit from the first game. There are THREE of those dudes.

So clearly, they felt it wasn’t a bit much.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Xk3EYSEaQ

2. Zurechial says:

Is Death voiced by Geralt?

…I mean.. by Geralt’s voice actor.

3. trjp says:

I love the original – it remains one of the best action-adventures ever made and the fact it came to PC should be considered a good thing (considering we don’t get much in that dept usually?)

If this offers me a hack/slash/puzzle fest as enjoyable as the first I’ll be a happy man indeed – if you’ve not tried the first one yet, you really should (the demo BIG and features one of the best bits of the game).

4. DainIronfoot says:

I’M NOT SURE WHO THIS PERSON IS, BUT HE CERTAINLY ISN’T ME.

I COULD MURDER A CURRY.

5. Arclight says:

Ooh… this strikes me as being a bit like Soul Reaver. Hot, cold?

• Xocrates says:

Hot.

• Eclipse says:

Totally hot, the first game is very very good. Pretty much like you would expect a modern Soul Reaver. It’s cheap on Steam ;)

• Urael says:

“It’s cheap on Steam ;)”

Cheap at £20? It’s half that price on Amazon. As for a “modern Soul Reaver” naturally nothing will replace that series in my affections but Darksiders does indeed look like good, wholesome, baroque-Angelic fun. :)

• mllory says:

Now why did you have to go and mention that … reinstalling…

Also, this seems way too pulpish and warcraft-esque to be close to Soul Reaver. Close enough for my tastes at least.

• Arclight says:

Thanks for the feedback. Keeping my eye on this one, I guess the previous title will start popping up in offers all over the place as it gets closer to release.

• DK says:

It’s cheap on steam in the sense that you get Darksiders for free if you buy Space Marine (which you should).

• Daniel Is I says:

Well, the original was described as an “Angry Zelda” by quite a few people. It is similar… 4-piece life extenders, dungeons which revolve around a central piece of gear you collect in them, so on and so forth. But the combat is very much a God of War-style hack ‘n slash.

And, if you ask me, Zelda + God of War = Great Game.

6. wcanyon says:

Soooooo, where are the other 2 riders? There were 3 comets in the end of Darksiders 1.

• Xocrates says:

This does not take place after Darksiders 1

• mrwonko says:

Still, given enough success, Darksiders 3 and 4 are sure to follow. I wouldn’t mind. Too few hack’n'slays on the PC. (I’d totally play buy God of War or Bayonetta, for example, but alas… only for consoles.)

• trjp says:

@Xocrates – that trailer seems to be saying – to me

“In Darksiders, War destroyed the world and is now if muchos troublos – here comes Death to rescue him”

Which would make it a clear sequel!?

• Grot_Punter says:

@trjp

I believe this one is meant to run slightly parallel to the first, with Death working to re-polish War’s currently tarnished reputation, unaware of the churnings upon our ruined world. In a sense, it is a sequel, yet isn’t, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this game ends on the same note as the first did, but from the perspective of Death plummeting from the heavens alongside the other two riders. I honestly wouldn’t mind if that happened.

• The JG Man says:

@tjrp – Nah. From the sounds of things, Death is (one of?) the reason why War was given a second chance by The Charred Council and tasked with ‘redeeming’ himself (which I won’t say any more of in light of spoilerifficness). It makes sense why he was given the chance anyhow, but it seems like there was more going on than we were led to believe, much like the plot of 1 itself. But whatever, this would seem to fill up the several hundred year gap between the Intro and the first main act, which makes if anything makes it a quasi-prequel. Considering Death shows up later in D1, his actions must’ve finished before the council revive War.
      EDIT: Damn you Grot_Punter!

• smartalco says:

*Slight Darksiders 1 spoiler*
      It looks to me like this game is going to take place in the time when War was bound by the council, during the century (IIRC) that started when the demons started fucking up earth and ending when the council sends War back to earth to clean shit up. Either that or parallel in time to the first game.
      Edit: No, damn both of you!

7. Dirtyboy says:

Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

8. vrekman64 says:

I loved the first.
    I though I would never see a game like darksiders on the modern PC market.
    2012 (+ the obligatory delay) seem so far away.

9. Arnulf says:

Enjoyable pulp!

10. Masked Dave says:

While War and Death make obvious action game characters, I’m thinking Famine and Pestilence may be a harder fit.

• Xocrates says:

Which is why in the Darksiders setting they were replaced by Strife and Fury.

• Quizboy says:

That’s disappointing, Pestilence could’ve been loads of fun. In a sort of Nurgle way. I agree Famine might be tricky, although it does immediately bring to mind old scrolling beat-em-ups where you’d collect giant roast chickens and burgers. Maybe then you’d sort of taunt people with them. In fact, yes! Where War had his big sword thingy and Death obviously has a scythe, Famine would wield a great big turkey leg with NOT YOURS written on it.

• Daniel Is I says:

Wouldn’t have been that hard of a sell for Pestilence, some people could probably have fun with disease and toxin-based combat thrown in with the hacking. Famine, however, might be a bit trickier. I suppose you could begin with some energy absorption abilities… weaken enemies, crush them, repeat?
      Admittedly, if anyone else who played the first like I did is concerned, they’d probably just stick to swinging like a madman and never use a spell… er, Wrath ability, once.
      Strife and Fury just don’t fit it for me.

And why is Fury a woman if War referred to the other three as his “brothers”?

• Phasma Felis says:

Strife and Fury? Lame. And what’s the difference between War and Strife?

If they really wanted to play this balls-out, they should’ve gone with War, Death, FIRE, and EXPLOSIONS.

11. crusty1 says:

I loved the comments referencing DISCWORLD’s DEATH (which created a well thought out anthropomorphic DEATH). Unfortunately this game’s version of DEATH appears lame. For instance why does he have to even ‘attack’? He is DEATH is he not? He might as well be called Goth or Badman…

12. Kaldor says:

Death can kick your ass!

• crusty1 says:

The personification of death would end your life, not play WWF with you!
      DS2 might be fun, but the main character in this game is nothing more than a ‘Goth wrestler with muscles & a scythe, kicking peoples butts’.

13. Vexing Vision says:

Alright, so War gets a nice assortment of weapons. Death has a fancy looking scythe.

For Darksiders 3, will Pestilence get a dirty syringe? Will Famine wave burgers in front of starving people?

How does that work? I will need to buy Darksiders 2 just to ensure seeing the third part.

Comment on this story