Ears Of War: Star Trek – The Co-Op Manshoot

By Alec Meer on June 3rd, 2011 at 4:21 pm.

Mass Etrekt?

The pre-E3 announcements are hitting faster than a man cycling down a slightly steep hill, with one of the latest concerning yet another attempt to restore Star Trek as a viable gaming franchise. One-time Epic best-buds and current Darkness 2 handlers Digital Extremes are the studio Paramount’s given the job to, coming up with something based on the JJ Abrams movie reboot of Rodenberry’s finest.

As in the movie/original series, Flight Commander John C. Cork and Professor Speck are the stars of the game. Wait, did I get that right?

Yeah, nu-Kirk (looks like he’s from a boyband) and nu-Spock (Sylar) are the stars, with that two-man setup suggesting to me a co-op action game rather than anything strategic or roleplay-y or suchlike. In fact, I don’t even need to be suggested to – it’s described as an action-adventure co-op game. So there.

We’re promised “a wide variety of gameplay and all the action you would expect from the hit franchise”, which hopefully means there’ll be at least some ship-to-ship combat. Also mentioned are a “legendary enemy race”, which it’s hard not to presume are Klingons, but I guess someone would describe any Star Trek enemy as legendary in some respect. Even the bloody Tribbles, but they’d make a terrible enemy for an action-adventure. Unless they’re like the Flood in Halo…

What’s not clear is if this is based upon 2012′s planned sequel to the Star Trek reboot, or fills in the gaps. It’s due Summer 2012, on PC as well as on the toyboxes, and there’s already a screenshot – so hopefully that means it isn’t going to be one of those licensed games that gets churned out in six months flat.

Poor old Star Trek Online. More on this new game will dribble out of E3, I don’t doubt. This is the one that’s set a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, right?

, , .

1. icupnimpn2 says:

Racial enmity? And this is a game about the future?

lurkalisk says:

It’s Space Racism, entirely different.

Big Murray says:

The whole 60s utopian future view is boring and outdated, dontchaknow. Showing the future being filled with racism, drugs, war and terror makes it much easier to relate.

2. Koozer says:

I watched the film, thought it was pretty good, watched the original series, then watched the film again, and wondered why it was called Star Trek.

• noom says:

The recent Star Trek was awful. No amount of special effects or Simon Peggage can make up for a script that bad or acting that wooden. It also wins the award for most awkwardly inserted love subplot ever.

• Bhazor says:

For me the two thoughts that stood out were.
      They let a twelve year old pilot a Starship.
      Spock looks completely ridiculous as a child.

But really I wasn’t too insulted as I never had that much fondness for the original series. Some great high sci-fi ideas bogged down with some of the worst over acting I’ve ever seen. Not just Kirk but the whole crew acted like a saturday am-dram troupe. I can forgive the use of cardboard sets but not the use of Shatner.

Now if they’d set it in the Next Generation universe with a 16 year old Picard running around humping aliens and quoting Shakespeare whilst cocking his shotgun it would be a completely different matter. You do not fuck around with Patrick Stewart. Alright I want that clear.

• PatrickSwayze says:

I on the other hand found the new Star Trek movie to be exactly what the stale old thing needed

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, old things that people like need chewing up and reinventing. Like XCOM, and Syndicate, and The Thing, and ooh ooh it’s about time The Usual Suspects was remade with more of a romance angle and starting Shia LeBouf as Keaton who—naturally—walks away a hero at the end of the film.

• Hendo says:

Except that, unlike XCOM, Syndicate, The Thing and The Usual Suspects, Star Trek was created as an ongoing TV series that turned into a franchise… in that case, why not make more?

James Bond was “reinvented” so, say what you will about QoS but Casino Royale was widely accepted to be a good movie – it sold well and holds a decent 81 score on Metacritic. Probably “exactly what it needed” when compared to several of the previous movies.

Likewise, the latest Star Trek movie holds a slightly better 83 score and probably a much wider ((though, admittedly, not nearly as “hardcore”) fan base than most of the past movies. Based on popularity and figures alone, PatrickSwayze is probably right. Despite the movie alienating some fans such as yourself, there are more out there who it impressed.

• Mad Hamish says:

There’s a certain ethos to Star Trek though, same as there was a tradition of strategy in the XCOM and Syndicate series. Star Trek lost this though somewhere in DS9 and has yet to get it back. But one day the world will once again be ready for a real Star Trek

• PopeBob says:

You know the actor for Kirk is only about five years or so younger than Shatner was for the original series, right?

• noom says:

I’ve nothing in principle against the re-invention of old ideas/franchises/whatever. What I do have a problem with is bad films. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion etc etc but I’m honestly confused as to how Star Trek has an 8.1 on imdb.

• bill says:

It was almost exactly what the stale old franchise needed – if only it hadn’t had massive plot holes and several head-bangingly STUPID moments.

Kirk was an idiot who knew nothing, but they let him decide the fate of the world because he made spock angry. Er…

I’m also confused by all the praise it gets. Not that I was a fan of the stuffy old trek either, but I could at least understand what some people saw in it. The new one was on the level of Wolverine – dumb and with plot holes, but a few nice set pieces and nods to the source.

• bill says:

@Hendo.
      But WHY did the new movie impress them? What was good about it?

The new bond was a good movie. The new batman was a pretty good movie. The new star trek was – a good movie??

• Christian O. says:

@LionsPhil

Yeah, so John Carpenter’s The Thing is itself a remake of Howard Hawks’ The Thing From Another World.

• KaL_YoshiKa says:

@Christian O.

If you want to get technical, The Thing is an adaptation of “Who Goes There?” which plays more accurately to the source material than Howard Hawks version that made the monster into a sort of humanoid plant man.

• Mut says:

I tend to think of it like a high school cheerleader. Nice to look at, but dumb as a stump. (Apologies to any former cheerleaders.)

Darkelp says:

I find your lack of Star Trek knowledge disturbing.

• Tyshalle says:

Great Star Trek reference! LOL

• mandrill says:

What? Like this one:

“Your over-reliance on logic is your weakness.”
      “Your faith in your friends is yours!”

• thegooseking says:

I’m a doctor, not a stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder.

• .backslash says:

He’s become one with the force, Jim!
      These aren’t the Borg you’re looking for.
      Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good phaser at your side, Kirk.

…I’ll stop now.

• arccos says:

Open the pod bay doors, Spock.

• Bhazor says:

Captains Log Stardate 10293321.3
      I’m on a ship… a living ship…

Big Murray says:

Why, why, why did they never make a Farscape game …

• bill says:

they did. It was some form of low budget top down game. Not even sure if it was adventure or action. It got bad reviews and no-one played it.

• Coillscath says:

But Captain, with the blast shield down, I can’t even see. This is highly illogical.

4. Turkey says:

I don’t know if I want to hear Kirk and Spock banter about opening heavy doors or how it’s a really long way down from this suspended platform.

5. J-snukk says:

Could be a fun I guess, but I’d rather have an exploration game or a diplomacy game or a starship command game, an action game seems to be what fits the least with star trek in my mind.

• Walsh says:

If you are going by the tv shows that makes sense but every movie had some sort of manoshoot combat action.

6. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Why not make it an RPG? I would rather play as a custom character than John C Cork.

And name my own ship. Lets not forget naming our own ships.

USS Phallus

• JYzer says:

…boldly going where no man has gone before?

TeraTelnet says:

Whenever I see people like you on Star Trek Online, I release the safety on my phaser.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

@Tera: Take no offense, I would never name my precious ship like that.
      I would name it USS Soviet Union hehehehe – ow! Not cool man!

Concordia discourse FTW!

7. SpinalJack says:

Why does spock have a covenant plasma blaster?

• Wonko the Sane says:

This was the first thing I thought on seeing that image.

8. Ovno says:

“Even the bloody Tribbles, but they’d make a terrible enemy for an action-adventure”

Oh come on they’d be great, I can already see it…

Your tricorder picks up strange reading coming from grain silo one, approaching the door you hear strange purring coming from the hatch, your assistant opens the hatch and is suddenly engulfed in strange furry balls, hearing his muffled screams you turn and run, view point shifts to 2d platformer chase game with hoard of tribbles pouring onto the left hand side of the screen.

9. Rii says:

Well, it did work for Elite Force back in the day. ‘The single-player game that Quake III wasn’t', as the saying went. Before the engine was licensed for fifty other games.

Still, the odds are against this one.

• Guiscard says:

Ah, Elite Force. Probably the only game with Star Trek on it thats actually a good game, regardless of being Star Trek. Anyone who wants to play a solid FPS that successfully bridges the Doom and Half-Life styles of gameplay should try Elite Force.

• Bhazor says:

I don’t know, Away Team was a fun little strategy game. Kind of like a narrower focused Commandos without the ludicrous difficulty. Also I don’t remember the name of it but the game where you controlled the Enterprise by issuing orders to the different decks was a great idea. A terrible game. But a really great idea. Would have loved to see that taken further and put into a proper Elite/Space Ranger style thing.

And theres this

• Coillscath says:

I thought Birth of the Federation was a shining example of great use of the IP, and a fantastic game in its own right. Think the best parts of Master of Orion 2 with a better graphical engine and set in the Star Trek universe.

Dem Borg incursions, man. Dem fookin’ Borg incursions.

10. Unaco says:

“Yeah, nu-Kirk (looks like he’s from a boyband) and nu-Spock (Sylar) are the stars”

Why? It’s a video game… they could have got the originals back, CGI’d their characters, and used their voices. There voices haven’t changed. Why do we have to have Star Trek 90210?

• Rii says:

“Why do we have to have Star Trek 90210?”

Because that’s the version that isn’t a financial black hole?

• Unaco says:

I would contest that the Original Star Trek is a financial Black Hole. I think there are plenty of fans out there, with plenty of disposable income.

11. Kollega says:

“Ears Of War”, huh? I lay forth the claim that i came up with that pun several months before you, Mr. Meer. And when i came up with it, i intended it to reference Lombaxes, not Spock.

12. MythArcana says:

Wow. Well, this is perfect console rubbish for the Mass Effect fans to cherish for 4 hours. I’ll be playing something with substance in the meanwhile.

13. Balm says:

Will it have The Planet Of The Chicago Mobs?

14. Grey_Ghost says:

I already know enough about this game to avoid it, thank you RPS.

15. JellyfishGreen says:

“Professor Speck”? Hah, newbie. It’s Doctor Spock, well-known Vulcan explorer and author of several books on raising children.