Good Old Games Add Good Old EA Games

By John Walker on June 3rd, 2011 at 12:14 am.

Yes, yes it really is.

Good Old Games are once again scooping up the games of the past, dusting off the cobwebs, teaching them about the future ways, and then setting them free into the internets, unfettered by leashes or DRM. And if you’ve been concerned that their definition of “Good” has been somewhat loose of late, this time they have some true classics. How classic? Pretty much as classic as classic gaming gets. They’ve finally got EA on board with some of the most famous names in PC gaming history. One of them is going to make Alec squeal like five girls. I’m teasing you. I’m making you want to click to carry on reading, and thus increasing our ad loads. No! Don’t look at the tags!

Indeed, as they’ve been hinting on their Twitter feed (GOG don’t seem to quite get Twitter – they seem to think the idea is to repeat the same tweet over and over until the letters are burned into the surface of your retina like a broken CRT monitor, forgetting that people don’t miss a tweet just because they’re not reading at the second it appears), one of those names is the game from between whose legs Alec was born: Dungeon Keeper. Nothing more needs to be said.

Alongside that is the rather odd choice of Wing Commander: Privateer, and not, say, Wing Commander, or Wing Commander II, or Wing Commander Academy that came before it. Although Privateer was the first published by EA and not Origin, so perhaps there’s some rights nonsense in play. It’s still no excuse for not immediately releasing Wing Commander III with Mark Hamill (although again, peculiarly, that one was entirely Origin).

Also published by Origin, although now wholly owned by EA via their possession of the complete Ultima franchise, is the inclusion I’m most excited about: Ultima Underworld 1+2. That’s both games in one, for their lower price of $6. Ultima Underworld 2 was the first game I ever played on PC, in 1993, and is forever burned in my brain as the most exciting thing that’s ever happened. But for once this isn’t just a case of my 15 year old naivety. Because these are the games everyone forgot Looking Glass made. It didn’t begin with System Shock, you scoundrel. It began in a reimagining of Garriot’s universe, where their inventiveness, peculiarities, and desire to think beyond everyone else in the industry was on display. As Thief was to the first-person genre, Ultima Underworld was to the Dungeon Master-style RPG.

Tragically trying to play UU2 today is pretty frustrating – the lack of mouse-look makes my bones hurt. Please can someone get on with modding that in as they did for System Shock? Please? Someone? Please?

So that’s a pretty impressive haul for GOG, and hopefully it means more will be appearing from the archive chasms of EA in the future. They seem to be saying they’ve got 25 of them in total. Just putting out the Bullfrog games alone would make an internet of thirty-sometimes squee themselves into oblivion. So which classic EA games would you like to see coming next?

Meanwhile, here’s a very silly trailer for this all:

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Kaira- says:

I was kinda thinking about eating this weekend, but eh, whatever, take my money.

• Lord Byte says:

I did the exact same thing, if I throw more money at them will I get Magic Carpet fasterer?

• Pie21 says:

I was gonna spend some quality study time for my exams starting Tuesday, but there’s always Monday, right?

Also, Mr Walker, I DID look at the tags, and NONE of them are “Staring Eyes”. What is going on?

2. Flameberge says:

Good Old Games make me happy.

3. shitflap says:

No Syndicate though T_T

• Kaira- says:

Well, they are adding yet another 20 games if I remember correctly what they said in the conference videostream. Though they did mention licensing problems with Syndicate.

• Bhazor says:

The rights to Syndicate and Shock 1+2 are now owned by an insurance conglomerate I believe.

• shitflap says:

At least, like you say Bhazor, they are being honest about not having SS and Syndicate.
      Tis nice that they’re honest & upfront about it and are not stringing people on.

• Big Murray says:

Funny about Syndicate, I had the same opinion … until I found my old copy and decided to relive the past. At which point I realised that I was looking at Syndicate through rose-tinted glasses; I never remembered it being such a ludicrously easy game when I was young. Turn the hormone levels up to max and run towards anything trying to shoot you and your agents will annihilate the opposition without you ever having to press a button.

That’s my Syndicate rant that I’ve been holding in all week out.

• LazyGit says:

Until the hormones run out at which point you’re on your own. I actually kind of preferred Syndicate Wars but Syndicate is still amazing even if you play it today.

4. Groove says:

BEST THING EVER.

Yes the caps were nessecary.

• Groove says:

To add, just bought Dungeon Keeper.

I never got a chance to own this the first time around, since I didn’t own a pc at the time.

5. Bhazor says:

Its nice they’re being honest about not having the rights to Shock and Syndicate. It shows they’ve listened to their customers and know exactly what they want.

6. choconutjoe says:

So many awesome games. But the lack of System Shock and Syndicate makes me :(

7. green_genes says:

The announcement page on GoG also states that Crusader: No remorse, Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri and Magic Carpet are soon to come.

• Rinox says:

Oh yeah…first thing I checked on the site when I saw the announcement. Already own all AC installments (of course), but Crusader is more than welcome.

8. ScubaMonster says:

Sweet baby Jesus, I’ve been waiting for Ultima to be released. Underworld is a good start, hopefully more are to follow.

9. Kid_Midnight says:

I saw the image at the top, and suddenly I had serious flashbacks of the Guardian shouting “AVATAR!” at me, then going on a rant.

• DeepSleeper says:

KNOOOOW THAT BRITANNIA HAS ENTERED INTO A NEEEEW AGE OF ENLIGHTENMENT!

• Nick says:

And I have memories of him saying ‘AVAT-’ before a bug/hardware issue caused the sound to stop working.

=(

• P7uen says:

I honestly thought you were talking about some sort of Avatar review by The Guardian, took me a full minute to realise there wasn’t some pretentious article I’d missed.

• DeepSleeper says:

@Nick,

Oh god, and then his lips started flapping at triple speed? That bug was horrible.

10. Wizardry says:

The Bard’s Tales, the Ultimas, the Starflights, Wasteland, Alternate Reality, Sentinel Worlds and Hard Nova please!

11. sinister agent says:

Privateer was probably more demanded than Wing Commander. I loved WC (on the amiga, anyway, which had vastly better music), but Privateer had more longevity and replayability. I’ve heard more people rave about it than the original games. Which is kind of understandable.

Still, this is surprisingly good news with EA involved. Good work, GOG.

12. trooperdx3117 says:

aww good for gog, might pick up ultima at some point but what i think everyone is looking for is system shock, now that you have your foot in the door gog, make it happen!!!

13. Horza says:

I’m hoping for Blade Runner (If EA got the rights form Westwood in the first place)

14. BeamSplashX says:

Ultima Underworld came out on the original Playstation… in Japan (I also found an ISO of it in Spanish once, but it’s been ages). I imagine that it would have more direct control than the PC version. A mouselook mod would still be better, though.

Or a DaggerXL-style emulator to play it with. I’d like that the absolute most.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I hope there’ll be a mouselook mod too, now that there’s some renewed interest in the games. However, I’ve been playing through them today, and was surprised by how much I like the standard controls. They’re different than mid-90′s+ first person games, but using the mouse gives a nice level of direct input into the game. There’s something really immersive about it.

15. MadTinkerer says:

FUCK YEAH!!!!

16. Wizlah says:

Really hope they can work out something on system shock, SS2 and syndicate.

Not so fussed if The Bards Tale never sees the light of day again.

Magic Carpet is quite intriguing, as indeed is any of the heydey of bullfrog. Powermonger would make me very happy.

• Wizardry says:

The Bard’s Tale is a classic. It beats Syndicate and Magic Carpet at least.

• Wizlah says:

I remember playing the bards tale when I was a kid.

I also remember a shitload of grind, and mapping on grid paper.

I loved it at the time, but I’m not in a hurry to see it ever again. In terms of classic games I played from the 80s, I would rather it stayed in my memory.

• somnolentsurfer says:

I’ve been really wanting to play Syndicate for quite a while now. I think it’s the fact it seems to be coming true…

• Nick says:

It really doesn’t “beat” Syndicate as a classic. But all three are great.

• Wizardry says:

Hmm. That wasn’t my actual point. But having said that, it probably does. The Bard’s Tale is an iconic series considering that it’s far inferior to both Wizardry and Might & Magic yet it is still very well known. If you ask me, it shouldn’t be as classic as it is considered being.

• Nick says:

And I’m fairly certain Syndicate would be on more peoples lips than The Bards Tale. Its a rather silly thing to argue about however.

• Wizardry says:

And I’m sure Modern Warfare is on more people’s lips than Syndicate. That’s meaningless.

• Tom Camfield says:

I would prefer Bard’s Tale / Wasteland follow up Dragon Wars, which rarely gets any love, but had multiple solutions to many problems like a Deus Ex in a fantasy setting; you begin in purgatory and can escape by fighting at the gate, exiting via the underworld, selling yourself into slavery or something else I’ve forgotten. It’s quite the game.

• Wizardry says:

Yeah but Dragon Wars isn’t EA. It’s Activision. Though as Activision games are already on GOG…

17. Vinraith says:

Graph paper mapping is the best.

• Wizlah says:

somtimes I think I’m being lazy in demanding an automap. Other times I remember the time spent looking away from the computer screen with a pencil and paper and I wonder how immersive it actually was. there are somethings I’m perfectly happy the computer simulating for me.

• Wizardry says:

Auto-mapping was only ever a good idea back when it was a skill that one of your characters had to learn. Or an item you had to find or buy. Or a spell you had to learn. Basically, when auto-mapping actually fit with the role-playing.

• Vinraith says:

@Wizlah

Etrian Odyssey (on the DS) is an interesting modern incarnation of this. It gives you a graph sheet on the bottom screen (the touch screen) and you draw your map with the stylus as you go. It’s remarkable how satisfying that is, I have to say, and how vitally important it is to do it well and leave yourself good notes.

• Fumarole says:

The Eschalon games have a cartography skill that updates your map from blank (zero skill) to lots of detail (high skill). This skill can be temporarily raised with appropriate magic. I find this a most excellent way of handling map making.

• Wizardry says:

Wizardry VII had a mapping skill. Technically Might & Magic II also had one, but unlike Wizardry VII’s it was binary (you either had it or you didn’t). Pretty much all of the old Ultima games had magic gems that you could buy from thieves guilds. On use they revealed the local area to you, including entire dungeon levels.

• Vinraith says:

Speaking of the Wizardry games, who owns the rights to those these days?

• Wizardry says:

I think the rights were sold to some Japanese company. That’s why there are millions of Japanese Wizardry games on consoles.

• Nick says:

Yeah, they really seem to love Wizardry in Japan.. I mean it pretty much spawned JRPGs along with Ultima.

• DeepSleeper says:

Speaking of which, there is a new English Wizardry on the PS3.
      I am playing it right now. Very good stuff.

From what I can tell, it’s a company called “IPM Inc.” who own the rights.

• cwoac says:

@deepsleeper really? whats it called? psn or retail?

• DeepSleeper says:

PSN only (sadly), “Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls”.

My sole regret is that Wizardry forked to Japan around Wiz V, so there’s only five races and eight classes. Aside from that, it is … well, WIZARDRY. It is very slightly easier than the PC games, but it’s still hard as nails and glad to show it off. I love it.

18. Web Cole says:

I’m sorry but, implassable? Dear me.

19. MaXimillion says:

Just getting SMAC on GOG would have been great, but 24 other games as well? Just awesome.

Well, at least assuming SMAC comes with the expansion and patches.

20. Moni says:

Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri

• DeepSleeper says:

They specifically list AC, Crusader: No Remorse, and Magic Carpet as coming soon.

• scoopsy says:

Ultima Underworld was the first game I ever fell in love with, took notes about, explored every inch of, and obsessed over. It definitely formed a key part of who I am.

AND THEN ALPHA CENTAURI NERVE STAPLED ME UNTIL I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT ANOTHER GAME EVER, AND I ASKED FOR MORE.

This post should have been titled “Good Old Games will start selling SMAC.”

• DrazharLn says:

“A handsome young cyborg named Ace, wooed women at every base, but once ladies glanced at his special enhancement, they vanished with nary a trace.”

21. Rii says:

Ah, EA games from the days when EA fancied themselves a purveyor of art amidst a sea of crass commercialism. How things have changed.

22. LazerBeast says:

They are getting Crusader? Praise be to his tentacles!

• Wilson says:

I know! Crusader was a fantastic game, which I am very much looking forward to playing again. I still have a disk, but I want it on my GoG shelf (and someone to produce the best emulation settings for me). I already have the Silencer as my GoG avatar :)

23. Jason Moyer says:

I’m going to be genuinely disappointed if there isn’t an NHL94/FIFA94/Madden94 bundle.

24. Vinraith says:

Alright, I’ll betray my own ignorance, what’s with the monkey face?

Already bought Ultima Underworld, have fond tweenaged memories of that one, will almost certainly get DK and Privateer (whose modern playability I kind of doubt, but oh how I adored it in its day) as well. Looking forward to SMAC as well, of course. I never played the other two, though I recall being unimpressed by a Magic Carpet demo at the time.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It’s the Guardian from Ultima VII. I believe it’s the first thing you see in the opening cutscene. Hang your head in shame for having never played one of the all-time classics.

Privateer should be more than playable; I’ve gone back recently with Privateer Gemini Gold and thoroughly enjoyed it. You absolutely need need need a joystick, though, or you’ll want to stab yourself in the eye.

• Shaid says:

AVATAA-schreeeech!

EMM386 has ran out of memory.

Bootdisks. Memory Managers being an apt misnaming of a product. Making bread for HOURS. Casting the Armageddon spell and spoiling the ending of the game for myself. A secret room portal in a chimney. Annoying children npcs. My memories of Ultima 7.

*Obscure 80s indie dance/rock crossover band reference goes here for the C-Monster*

Ahh, to be young again.

• Wizardry says:

You don’t know the Guardian? Fuck man. Talk about living under a rock. You must have lived under a fucking mountain! Perhaps somewhere in the Stygian Abyss.

• Vinraith says:

@TillEulenspiegel

Head hung, it’s a source of nigh perpetual embarrassment that I missed Ultima completely at the time. It’s one of those severe oversights in my gaming background that I have every intention of correcting, as I’m hugely fond of old school RPG’s.

Glad to hear that Privateer still has some life in it, I certainly adored it in its day. I’ve still got a joystick around here somewhere, I’ll definitely give it a try.

• P7uen says:

I’ll join you there, Vin, I am another who skipped that series.

If the RPS community collectively agrees I’m not allowed back until I’ve played them then so it shall be.

Can I just play that one or do I have to play the 6 previous ones? Where to start?

• Wizardry says:

@P7uen:

It would be seriously retarded to play Ultima VII before any of the games in the Age of Enlightenment trilogy. You miss out on the entire evolution of Britannia as well as the protagonist becoming the Avatar. Plus, Ultima VII is at least twice as fun when you are revisiting familiar locations and seeing how they have evolved over time.

I’d recommend you play them from at least IV onwards. The first three won’t add anything to your enjoyment of the later games, where as each game from IV onwards will increase your enjoyment of subsequent games. Of course, the first three Ultima games take about 5 to 10 hours each to complete, so it’s not too hard to bomb through them all. It depends on how old-school you like your games, how much you are interested in the history of games and, of course, how much spare time you’ll have.

Plus, Ultima VII isn’t even the best one. It has terrible real-time combat, for example.

• malkav11 says:

I’m pretty sure you’re thinking of Ultima VIII (8) not Ultima VII (7). Since 7′s the one everyone loves to death and 8 the one that most people feel was the beginning of the end for the series.

• Wizardry says:

Are you talking to me? Ultima V is my favourite Ultima game. Not VII. Everyone does seem to love VII the most, I know that. But then again people love Oblivion, so that doesn’t tell you much at all. If Ultima VII had Ultima V combat it would indeed be the best game in the series.

• Thirith says:

I agree that the combat in Ultima VII is weak, but it’s not weak enough to make the game anything other than one of the best titles in the series. The complete Ultima VII (including Serpent Isle) is a milestone of storytelling/world building in computer games IMO.

• Wizardry says:

Well, the world building is a result of the previous three Ultima games. There aren’t many locations at all in Ultima VII that do not feature in the previous games. Plus, with the lack of emphasis on the virtues, I would say that Ultima VII has a less imaginative and less conceptually cohesive world that the previous three.

On the topic of story telling, I agree that it tells its story in a far more effective manner than previous games did. But the story itself is poorer than that of at least Ultima V and VI. You see, Ultima VII boils down to completing long quest chains to find out things that you, as a player, already know. In other words, you spend most of the game jumping through hoops to progress the story to an obvious conclusion.

The setting itself is also less thematically consistent. In fact, the reason why the Age of Enlightenment trilogy is so highly regarded is because of the tightness of their settings. Ultima VII is far more of a standard fantasy affair, exploring, talking to people you come across and completing quests for them. Again, this is probably because of the lack of focus on the virtue system.

Ultima VII Part Two, on the other hand, is completely different. For a single game set on that continent (ignoring its presence in Ultima I) it did an incredible amount of world building. Probably the best in the entire series in terms of just how much it introduced within itself. However, I personally prefer The Black Gate to Serpent Isle simply because it was set in an evolved Britannia and I had played Ultima IV, V and VI before it.

Oh, and it’s cheating to combine The Black Gate and Serpent Isle. They are two different games entirely. The only reason Serpent Isle was Ultima VII Part Two instead of Ultima VIII was because Garriott wanted each numerical Ultima game to use a completely different engine.

25. shoptroll says:

Pretty much looking forward to them hitting the Maxis, Origin and Bullfrog back catalogs. I’m pretty sure they can squeeze out 20 or more items from them alone. I’d love to be able to fill in the gaps of my Maxis collection with GoG versions. Especially if they can get them all to run in Windows 7 x64.

Really hoping they manage to get LucasArts on board soon too. Lots of games from them I never got to experience.

• Jason Lefkowitz says:

Really hoping they manage to get LucasArts on board soon too…

TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FIGHHHHHHHHHHTEEEEEEEEEER

That is all.

• Tom Camfield says:

Lucasarts already sell a fair chunk of their old games on Steam; they must have a bad* reason for not adding Manic, Zak, Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle to the mix, let alone the shooty Star Wars games.

* I believe Lucas doesn’t want to use DosBox or ScummVM hence the delay, and also why they might not see the light of day on gog.com, it seems they love DRM and I think for some reason using DosBox / ScummVM makes games DRM free (?).

26. JP says:

Hey guys. In case you didn’t know, there’s an open source project underway to do a modern port of the Ultima Underworld / System Shock 1 engine:

It seems to have stalled last year though. If you’d like to play these games on modern systems at high resolutions, with mouselook etc, maybe get in touch with the developer and voice your support. Or better yet, take a look at the code and offer to help.

• Ravenger says:

There’s already a mouselook / hi-res mod for System Shock 1.

27. thepaleking says:

I hope this means Wasteland can get released. If EA still owns it that is. Could have gone to Interplay I guess.

• Buttless Boy says:

According to Wiki, Wasteland is currently owned by InXile, Wasteland producer Brian Fargo’s company. He’s been talking about a sequel on and off for years, but nothing’s come of it yet.

EDIT: Aaaaand folks were already saying this before I posted. I should read sometimes, I guess?

28. Nick says:

Privateer is an utterly fantastic game. I absolutely love the atmosphere on certain planets (pun not intended, but duly noted), the music.. some of the characters. The combat is ok, typical early Wing Commander stuff, but the storyline is pretty cool and that era of graphics for the people talking and the bars and whatnot remains my favourite stylistically for some reason. I just find it deeply pleasing to look at and always have.

• Paul B says:

Here’s hoping Privateer 2 comes to GoG too. Any game that has Clive Owen, John Hurt & BRIAN BLESSED in it has got to be good. I imagine it’d be be quite a big download though, with all its FMV sequences. I remember it coming on multiple CDs when I first played it – good memories.

• Zenicetus says:

The original FMV games in the series were all made for low-res screens, so the video downloads might not be very big. On the other hand, those games are probably tied up with actor licensing issues, so I’d be surprised if they’re released. :(

29. kuran says:

Wasn’t the original Ultima VII release quite buggy? I hope they use Exult for it somehow, but I guess they can’t do that… Ultima VII is still one of the most engrossing role playing games.

• DeepSleeper says:

They can’t release it with Exult, I imagine, but I’m sure they can post one of their mod highlights, like they did with Freespace 2 and Planescape Torment. If not that, then people in their forums will highlight Exult.

News will get out that there’s a better way to play it, I’m sure.

30. tomeoftom says:

Has no-one already made mention of the absolutely grotesque patch of thick hair on that man’s cheek in the video?

31. ChainsawCharlie says:

Great news. The Youtube video is slightly awkward though

32. Sunjammer says:

GO ON! AN ADVENTURE! I love that trailer so much

33. Flint says:

I’ve wanted to play Ultima Underworlds ever since the mid-90s. They’ve also namedropped Alpha Centauri and Crusader No Remorse as future updates: the former is something I’ve wanted to try for a long time and the latter was one of my favourite games of my formative years.

Needless to say, I am freaking excited.

34. Lambchops says:

Privateer is one of my earliest gaming memories.

I did track down a shady copy a year or so back but it hasn’t aged particularly well unfortunately.

35. Vexing Vision says:

I never got the point of Alpha Centauri, I believe that Syndicate would curse me with eye-cancer (there ARE good looking old games out there!), but I’m literally holding my breath for System Shock 2, which I want to play again. Badly. Shodan makes GlaDOS look like a little schoolgirl.

36. Drake Sigar says:

Curses, I already own working retail copies of all those games.

37. jeffnonumber says:

Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. Yosharian says:

Too bad there’s already a fan-made version of Dungeon Keeper available free of charge (google ‘dungeon keeper mod’). I think it even supports high resolutions, could be wrong.

Still, nice to see GOG getting some publisher support.

39. tailzdru says:

These eyes Appear to be staring at me.

40. xp194 says:

Apparently, they’ve got Alpha Centauri coming as well.

In which case, do want!

41. Tretiak says:

They spoil Ultima ending!

42. Stijn says:

Also now available is Rayman 2: The Great Escape. One of the better platformers (and games in general, as far as I’m concerned) ever.

43. Ajh says:

No, No, No. I am not re-buying Dungeon Keeper. I do not have the money this weekend, I don’t care how much fun it was.

44. Wizlah says:

I don’t think EA own it, but I wonder if Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri is on Gog’s list? One of the ones looking glass published themselves. I’d like to think if they can sort out System Shock+Shock II, they could manage that.

Really curious to see how far back in EA’s catalogue they’ll go.

45. Wizlah says:

Huh. Wasteland’s entry on wikipedia says that inXile brought the rights off EA in 2007. Have they reverted back to EA?

46. mr.lipton says:

CDP RED interview about X360 version of The Witcher 2 http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/12,95387,9717440,Wiedzmin_2_na_Xboksa_360_oficjalnie__A_nie_mowilismy_.html?bo=1
    in this interview is also info: any additional content from this version will be avivable also on PC for free and before X360 v. release

me Happy :D

47. sneetch says:

I clicked the trailer first – I’m too bleeding edge for actual ye olde worlde reading – and I was delighted to see Dungeon Master, then they said Ultima Underworld and my jaw dropped, I loved that game so much. What a amazing mind-blowing game at the time!

Have to get both and Wing Commander too, what the hell!

48. Carra says: