Prototype 2 Has Tentacles And Blood

By Jim Rossignol on June 4th, 2011 at 8:12 am.

Prototype 2 is a game about some dude is made of tentacles or something like that. You can check out the general use of tentacles in the trailer below. Tentacle Boy DOES NOT like helicopters, no sir. Also he’s going to have a fight with the protagonist from the previous game for some reason.

Whatever, I still want a decent Hulk game. (And yes, Radical’s Ultimate Destruction was the last good one, but imagine what destruction tech could do now.)

, , , .

1. razgon says:

While this looks interesting (loved the first one), I find this new obsession games have with obscene amounts of blood rather off-putting.

While I’m not squeamish, I’d actually be embarrassed to play a game like this while my SO or anyone else was around.

• mrfb says:

Prototype is Infamous with copious amounts of blood instead of copious amounts of electricity, and vice versa.

• lurkalisk says:

The amount of blood in the human body isn’t exactly trivial though. While I’ve no experience cleaving a man in twain with a single strike of some sort of massive bio-sword, I assume a substantial amount of blood would leave his body in the process.

Besides, you could tell your significant otter you simply have Renfield’s, and the issue would never come up again!

• groghog says:

Significant otter. Amazing

• Renfield says:

@ lurkalisk
      Your last sentence momentarily had me rather puzzled indeed.

(And not because of the well-spotted otter.)

Re: the blood, it’s the strange quasi-stylised mistiness of it that I find more off-putting. Puffs of blood (sic) feel out of place amidst visceral ultraviolence. Except when you’re pulverising someone with a hammer, or making them evaporate with a shotgun blast, a la F.E.A.R. Valuable lessons from gaming.

That said, I liked Prototype. Not sure I want another one, but I liked it.

• lurkalisk says:

I assume the screen name comes from the same Renfield of Bram Stoker’s design?

Anyway, neither of these games are at all realistic, but I would imagine puffs of blood to be somewhat less egregious than tentacle powered anti-air weapons. Of those games witch have a ludicrous amounts of blood, prototype is probably the worst offender I can think of, but in the face of the other bizarre things the game exhibits, I have a hard time taking issue with it.

• Renfield says:

It’s the aesthetics of the blood puff that I take issue with. The tentacles are made-up anyway, but the blood is (ostensibly) intended to evoke real blood.

And the screen name is indeed from the syndrome’s namesake. :)

• lurkalisk says:

Well that’s what I mean, I guess. It is indeed a failure to mimic real blood, it’s just that a game so ridiculous is a game I wouldn’t take much issue with in any respect, at least as realism is concerned.

But yes, the blood is quite strange.

• FLBR says:

@razgon; That’s not an obscene amount of blood. The Brutal DOOM mod, now that’s an obscene amount of blood! It had an update recently. It was called The Sadist Update! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHHZt3bbcCg

• DeathHamsterDude says:

Significant Otter. My new favourite phrase.

Oh, and the game. Yes. Enjoyed feeling like a god in Prototype. May not have loved certain aspects of the game, but they definitely got the sense of power and movement down right. I can’t say that I’m anxiously waiting at my computer to click on Steam the second it’s released, but I will buy it at some point.

• Conor says:

DeathHamsterDude, I think I love you for that image.

2. Kayden says:

By the title of the article I was wondering if this was a Hentai preview or something….

• Spider Jerusalem says:

The notable absence of the words ‘Nazi’ and ‘rape’ should’ve clued you in.

• Jharakn says:

Whilst I’ve no idea what that has to do with prototype you get a gold star as I’ve been pressing the button and laughing to myself for that last hour almost.

• Lewie Procter says:

The sound at the end of the trailer reminded me of it.

• James says:

I have that near the top of my bookmarks, for some reason. I hit it once to twice a week at minimum.

It’s the simple things…

3. Cirdain says:

PC?

• Jim Rossignol says:

Why do people ask this? RPS is a PC site.

“PROTOTYPE 2 is currently in development for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the Games for Windows®.”

• Napalm Sushi says:

As far as I’m aware, Prototype 2′s protagonist is not a Police Constable, though members of such office are likely to serve as NPCs, complete with the suitably overpressurised circulatory systems shown in the footage above. We hope this aids in your purchasing decision.

• slick_101 says:

Nor is this game politically Correct. you have a Dude with a sword for an arm cleaving people in half spraying blood everywhere.

• westyfield says:

Though the chap in the trailer with the tentacles and sword-arm is indeed the Player Character.

• magnus says:

Plastic Carrot
      Pointless Custard
      Physical Concept
      Psychic Convention
      Purple Cucumber
      Pacyderm Compote?

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Penile Contraption?

• Koozer says:

Particular Chaffinch.

4. Thants says:

You’ve broken your trailer naming convention! I don’t even know what to believe anymore.

• Jim Rossignol says:

There was a naming convention?

• Colonel J says:

Sexy new trailer gets commas, no conjunctions.

I like this, reminds me of headlines in The Onion.

• Starky says:

Jim it’s

[Game Name] Trailer is [something] [something], [something]

Well not really, but the last like 5 trailers have been and you broke the flow.

5. Olivaw says:

Prototype is basically Hulk 2 anyway. I loved the hell out of it, and I’ll love the hell out of this.

Nothing better than elbow dropping a poor old lady from seventy stories up.

6. Stick says:

Well, since our RPS overlords wouldn’t pick up the perfectly obvious joke lying around…

“Prototype 2″? Isn’t that “Open Beta” or possibly “Release Version In Dire Need Of Patching”?

7. Tei says:

The video is not good. You could make a way better video from random raw footage from Prototype 1 (yes, is that type of game that looks epic every inch of it).

So, what? is maybe that the devs want to create hype in crescendo, or Prototype 2 is somewhat flaccid?

?:-)

8. Zogtee says:

The dude is moving really slowly. It’s going to ages to finish this bloody game.

9. Vandelay says:

I thought the first was awesome fun, but this looks to be more of the same. Not sure how well it will hold up a second time round.

10. Longrat says:

excessive usage of slow mo, panning cameras and loud sound effects make trailers very off putting.

• lurkalisk says:

I assume you’re put off by most game and movie trailers then?

11. Scioptic says:

0:27 mark…. we get to use proton packs in this? :P

12. Spakkenkhrist says:

I loved the first one, it was just incredibly fun so I’m looking forward to this.

13. Christian O. says:

You killed my wife. And my daughter. And possibly my dog. And my third-cousin-removed.

That is terrible.

14. LTK says:

I sure hope there is something more interesting to the plot than just Revenge. Sure, the first Prototype also had Revenge as a motivation, but in the end it turned out to be a more convoluted question of morality versus self-preservation. Alex Mercer murdering wives and children, mutating people and commandeering monsters seems firmly on the side of Evil. Deceptively so. It better be deceptively so.

• Renfield says:

Well, to be fair to the game’s established plot, Mercer’s mutation is also cognitive. It’s established pretty early on that the virus makes people sociopathic, as well as making them grow tentacles.

An in-canon explanation for the player’s uncaring mass-murder was something I enjoyed discovering in Prototype’s otherwise rather stale narrative.

• Grot_Punter says:

Something that irks me about this sequel is, if I recall about the end of the first is that Mercer left NYC. So how the hell can he be there making all these mutant-virus-baby-monsters and being mutant-virus-baby-monster-tyrant?

15. Iskariot says:

I am looking very much forward to this game. I enjoyed the first one and I am a sucker for open world city themed games.

I hope they address the way enemy npc soldiers react to you. If you jump of a 20 story building they should at least expect something to be wrong and react accordingly.
    Also the opposition should be a bit more balanced, especially the boss parts. The way the game jumped from easy to extremely hard was ridiculous.
    And the respawning of hive buildings was ‘somewhat’ unrealistic. Although I admit ‘unrealistic’ gets a different flavor in the context of a game like this.

16. slick_101 says:

I crammed in hours and hours on the first one when I was a console gamer and loved every minute of it. So its going to be interesting to see how the controls fit because using a game pad on games like this seem to work really well,

That said, I think I am really looking forward to this, it’s been a while since there has been a free roam with plenty of mindless gore to cram into those evenings after those tiresome days.

17. Urthman says:

Whatever, I still want a decent Hulk game.

Yes, me too. Prototype looked like fun, but the character and setting were just too off-putting for me to try it. This one too. Bleah.

18. MeestaNob says:

You’d think they start sending something a bit faster than a helicopter at these guys, they must be running out of them by now. surely.

19. ProfessorDazzle says:

Sounds like my ex wife.

20. Matt-R says:

Shame that I have no real desire to kill Mercer so making that the objective seems kinda blah to me, also fairly sure that the first one sort of pegs him as being invincible… but alas.

I’ll just remove my memories of the first and enjoy blowing stuff up and the like, fun times.

21. Chizu says:

But why is that first picture of a gnome walking away from an explosion (and not looking at it).

22. crusty1 says:

Pulpy trailer is pulpy.

i’ll stick to GTA, WAY better.

23. Italia says:

Looks like they graphics have barely been upgraded since the first one, which itself was extremely boring for such an open world. I like blood too, I don’t like crappy red pixels flying around the screen. Big difference.

Character looks like he’s from a PS2 game playing on a N64 map.

• Urthman says:

Character looks like he’s from a PS2 game playing on a N64 map.

That description is literally 100% true for the PC Incredible Hulk game that was a tie in to the most recent movie. Destroying buildings in that game looks like something out of Blast Corps.

24. Catastrophe says:

I’m waiting for Marvel or DC to buy the Prototype idea and make it into an awesome comic and a hopefully good film.

I can’t think of any comic book hero(?) with powers like Mercer. And the fact he was a normal guy slowly turning into a sociopath would make for an interesting film story.

25. Iokanaan says:

so the developers actually based the story of the second game in the series on the revenge of the relative of one of the thousands of people the player killed in the first game? I expect this to be a long running series.