The RPS Bargain Bucket: Socially Engaged

By Lewie Procter on June 4th, 2011 at 10:17 am.

It’s probably too hot to stay inside playing games today. What am I saying?! I’m no Mother. Games are often more fun than the outside world anyway, you don’t even get a HUD or re-mappable controls going for a walk in the park. If you still want more cheap games, there’s always bargains to be found across all platforms over at SavyGamer. Here’s your deals for this weekend:

Red Faction Guerrilla – £3.74/€2.49/$4.99
Get in there Europe, here’s a rare instance of you getting a better deal than the rest of the world. Cherish it. It’s particularly surprising since THQ are normally one of the worst offenders for regional pricing bollocks. Of RFG, some bloke called Kieron said:

In this game – though hopefully not in their private lives – Volition care only about two things: blowing things up and giving you really entertaining reasons to blow things up. With Red Faction Guerrilla, they’ve succeeded admirably at both.

They’re giving you all three of the previous Red Faction games if you preorder the new one too, but that seems like an odd deal to me. If you’ve not played any of the others, surely by the time you’ve finished them all, the new one will have had a decent discount. Perhaps it would be a more attractive offer if there was a demo of the new one to help you make your mind up, but THQ have decided to keep the demo console exclusive.

Gratuitous Space Battles, Castle Vox, Evochron: Mercenary, Fate of The World, Smugglers IV – £22.63/€25.50/$28.50
This is what I wanted to see from Show Me The Games. Here’s a big bundle of nicely discounted games, but 100% of the revenue from the sale (minus transaction costs) is going to the developers. It’s tellingly titled “Bundle #1″ too, so I suspect we’ll be seeing more of this type of thing in the future. Watch this space. RPS coverages of GSB here, and Wot Quinns thinks of Fate of the World here.

Men of War – £2/€2/$2
Men of War & Men of War: Red Tide – £7.49/€7.49/$7.49
Men of War: Assault Squad – £6.24/€7.49/$7.49
Multiple different purchasing options here, depending on what you’re after. If you’re new to the Men of War games, and just want to dip your toe in, you can get the original game on it’s own for very cheap. Also discounted is the “Gold Edition”, which includes the original game and the Red Tide expansion. Finally, the most recent co-op centric expandalone, Assault Squad (which I seem to recall registers on Steam, but can’t find indication of the on the Get Games page listing. I know the retail version does. Can anyone clarify? Edit: Inglourious Badger confirmed it does, cheers!) is cheap too. Find out wot Alec, Jim and then Jim again think of these here: Men of War, Red Tide and then Assault Squad.

King’s Bounty: The Legend – £2/€2/$2
King’s Bounty: Platinum Edition – £7.49/€7.49/$8.74
The Platinum Edition includes The Legend, Armored Princess, Orcs on the March and Crossworlds, whereas The Legend just includes The Legend. Simple enough. The Legend was one of Alec’s favourite games of 2008, and here‘s Wot He Thought of Crossworlds:

It’s exactly why I fell in love with King’s Bounty: The Legend in the first place. It’s taking a fairly staid formula – Heroes of Might and Magic’s turn-based battles – and pouring weird chemicals into its brain, creating something comfortably familiar but even more comfortingly unhinged.

You can grab yourself a demo of The Legend here, and this deal is available all week (I think it’s Friday that it will expire on), s you’ve got plenty of time to try before you buy.

Deal of the week
Aztaka, City Rain, Puzzlegeddon, Bob Came in Pieces, Vizati & Lylian: Paranoid Friendship – £6.12/€6.83/$10
Another nice bundle of games, although they’re doing a nasty trick where if you market it at your facebook friends for them, they give you 50% off (making it £3.06/€3.42/$5. Maybe it’s worth having a second facebook account just to engage in promotions like this. I’m not sure encouraging people to make their friends experience of using facebook worse in exchange for discounts is something that should be encouraged, but I suppose money off games is better than a promise to release screenshots. Here’s Johns WIT of Bob Came in Pieces.

Sneaky bonus UK only deal:
If you’ve got access to a PS3, you can get Portal 2 on Steam for effectively free. In fact, you can make a cool £4.75 profit in the process. Details here.

Also of note:
Death to Spies – £2.40/€2.49/$2.49
Death to Spies: Moment of Truth – £3.74/$4.99
BEEP – £3.04/€3.41/$4.99
Crysis 2 – $26.97. Apply coupon “SURVEY2010″. USA only.
15% off all DLC at D2D UK/USA with coupon “EXTRA15″/”EXTRAS”.

For all the cheap games, all the time, get yourself over to SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. mowglie says:

Think you could activate that SMTG bundle on Steam?

• cliffski says:

No you can’t.

• Gnoupi says:

And stop asking, you’re making him angry :P

• bill says:

and you won’t like him

• NegativeNancy says:

Who gives a shite, Cliffski gets angry at everything. Must be the pubescent hormones.

• Meat Circus says:

At the risk of incurring a CLIFFSKI RAGE OF +2 SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS, don’t you think you should probably, you know, reconsider?

• tanith says:

Um that doesn’t even make any sense. Apart from “Fate of the World” and “Gratuitous Space Battle” you cannot register the games on Steam because they are not on Steam.

• Urthman says:

You can launch them with Steam, if that makes you feel any better.

• Antsy says:

Don’t go getting him all steamed up now.

funkstar says:

and the SMTG bundle mac compatible? i thought some of the games were but cant find owt on that site

3. iLag says:

no mention of the Desktop Dungeons pre-order? it’s $10 instead of $15 for what looks to be an even better game than it already is.

furthermore: Sid Meier’s Pirates on Green Man Gaming for 2,49€ and Age of Wonders on GOG or Impulse (which is cheaper) for little money.

oh, and DotEmu has a free game every day, celebrating their first birthday. that ends tomorrow, though, so only 2 games left anyway.

• busfahrer says:

Is there any mention on whether one will be able to redeem their Desktop Dungeons on Steam once it’s released there, if I buy it directly from them now?

• nofing says:

Yes, you should be able to redeem it on steam http://www.qcfdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23
      I’m however still a little on the fence because of the “bonus content” included in the $20 version.
      Have to think about it again, if I’m really willing to support a behaviour like that.

• lightstriker says:

Fine, then pretend that the $20 version is the full game and the $10 version is the “lite” version, which is hardly objectionable :/ If you played the alpha, you’d definitely understand why exactly it is that it’s going to JUST be bonus content, and not some sort of game overpowering construct. I mean… yeah >.> The game’s awesome and definitely worth the $20. But if you’re not sure about it, then just get the light version. You’re not throwing away much content at all.

like… I can understand it if it was a full priced game that they were charging extra for DLC on, but this is a minimally priced game with a bit more content if you want to support the developers, which is quite clearly what it’s going for. Complaining that a HUGELY acclaimed indie game is offering two price points feels kinda… oversensitive. To say the very, very, very [etc etc] least.

• mwoody says:

Sorry, I don’t buy it. Just because they’re indie doesn’t mean that “pay more for extra content” is any less objectionable. I loved the free original, and seeing the deal had me wallet-in-hand (literally), but arriving at their site and seeing that for twice the price I could get the full game vs. some crappy lite version… Nope. No purchase.

At the very least, if you’re going to discount one, discount the other. It doesn’t make this practice good, but it’s slightly less likely to stymy a sale.

MarkN says:

“Just because they’re indie doesn’t mean that “pay more for extra content” is any less objectionable.”

What? Paying more for extra is objectionable?

Paying more for more is how economics works. Are you sure you’re not confusing paying more for more with paying more for less? That would be objectionable.

You know when car retailers have optional extras? They charge more for them because it cost them more to make them. This is a bit like that. They made a game, then they made extra stuff. You don’t get the extra stuff if you only pay for the game. It’s really fairly straightforward.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It’s just some crap DLC they’re offering if you want to give them extra money to feel special.

I do have a bit of a problem with one-time special offers of content (eg, preorder bonuses), but “more money = more stuff” makes perfect sense. I expect they’ll be creating some DLC mini-expansions after release, as it’s the type of game which readily supports that kind of thing; I’m happy to go along with that as long as the price/content ratio is right.

• blankname says:

I was under the impression that the Desktop Dungeons pre-order “sale” would be running until the game released as it’s mentioned as one of the perks of pre-ordering. In which case it’s hardly noteworthy as very many pre-orders offer a discount of some sort.

• suibhne says:

Yeah, I’m not seeing the outrage here. Games have “Special Editions” all the freakin’ time – do you complain that you’re required to pay $60 for the new Deus Ex game in order to get the “complete” game? And this SE for Dungeon Defenders is clearly positioned as a way to express support for the devs, so it seems even more acceptable than most other SEs.

Man, I remember when we had to pay an extra $10 for the Quake 4 “Special Edition” just to get the game on a DVD rather than 28 CDs. Cry me a river. ;p

Thanks for posting that DD price – I’ve been eagerly anticipating this game for awhile.

• mwoody says:

Yes, I DO think having to pay extra for all the content in the new Deus Ex is horrible. My point was that most people agree that’s it’s horrible when done by big devs, based on RPS’s own comment sections, and it’s unfair that indie games get a pass when they do exactly the same thing. You can make the “support the devs” argument in both situations, too, and it’s poor form in either: it implies that people who go for the lesser option aren’t true gamers, or don’t “support” gaming, adding a component of derision to the sting of owning a game with pieces missing.

I’m fine with collector’s editions that have cloth maps, art books, soundtracks, and the like. But snipping out pieces of the game and charging extra, leaving anyone who pays “merely” full price feeling like they’re getting an incomplete experience? Silliness of the highest order.

If an indie wants to give people a chance to support their game a little more, give them their name in the game (something these folks have also done), give them forum avatars, give them beta access, give them the aforementioned soundtracks and art books, let them into exclusive chats with the devs, send them little statues, promise them beta access to future games, or any of the hundred of other things traditionally done in the era before DLC. DON’T divide the game itself into tiers. Even if the division is transparent, and the extra content truly added specifically in response to fans, it won’t prevent the cheapest option from being labelled the “lite” version, nor will it keep its purchasers from feeling like suckers.

MarkN says:

“But snipping out pieces of the game and charging extra…”

Chances are as with most DLC it’s not snipped out, it was never in in the first place. It’s extra. Extra work that needs to be paid for.

But even if it was stuff that was cut out chances are that without DLC it would still have been cut. In the past I’ve worked on games where huge swathes of content was cut and binned – many man-months of work wasted because it would cost too much to finish it. This used to happen all the time when projects went over budget, and publishers couldn’t justify paying extra for it. Now DLC justifies paying for it, and the public gets to see stuff they otherwise never would have.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Wrong swine-ing thread

4. iLag says:

I’d be all over the SMTG bundle if you could gift duplicate games to friends… not possible, is it, Cliffski? or can you download demos for all of those games and just enter a key to get the full version?

• cliffski says:

It varies, because each developer handles things differently, but generally, no the bundle doesn’t have any built-in gifting support :(
      We are simple people, we cannot code such stuff :D

• bill says:

I don’t know how this kind of thing works, but if there is no client, could you not simply download it and then give it to them? Burn it on a cd for them or something?

• Gabe McGrath says:

Err, yeah what Bob said.
      Surely when it’s DRM free, you merely copy the installers for the duplicate games, and give the dupes on CD/USB to your friend.

• sinister agent says:

Basically, this. Download the games and give the installers to your friend, and give them the key, as you won’t be using it. I don’t see what the problem is.

5. Fistulator says:

Have Red Faction:Guerilla’s Win7 compatability problems been solved? Or does the game still look like an episode of Benny Hill?

6. Gnoupi says:

About the facebook promotion, in my opinion, it’s fair game. You advertise the bundle for them, you get a reduced price.
    And if you believe that the bundle is worth attention, how is talking about it to your friends making their life worse?

No one is forcing you to do it to buy the bundle. It’s a way like another to push people to talk about this bundle.

• Lewie Procter says:

I guess it is “fair game”, but I know I would be pretty quick to unfriend anyone who filled their newsfeed with adverts for products that they only put on there because they get a discount.

• nofing says:

That’s why I have a facebook account, which is used only for stuff like that.

• Gnoupi says:

Technically, you can choose who will see it. You don’t have to spam all your friends with it.
      You can even choose to be the only one to see it, ultimately, so you don’t have to create a dummy account.

• Lewie Procter says:

But they know that the vast majority of users will have their privacy settings as default.

Because facebook obfusticate their privacy settings as much as possible.

• patricij says:

Adverstising to my friends? That’s usually where I bailout out of the deal…I’m not their bloody PR company

lurkalisk says:

Well, facebook is all about advertising anyway, in a sense. I see all my friends regularly anyway, so the only purpose for redundant internet friends is ultimately to annoy them, and to get things I couldn’t otherwise.

Facebook… Ach! The shame of it!

• Gnoupi says:

To me it’s the equivalent of “hey, there is this great deal *insert link to savygamer*, you should look into it!”.

And honestly, one post about good games for a great price in the middle of “hey, i answered a poll about you!” and “please take my cow”, it’s increasing the quality of Facebook by itself.

• Lewie Procter says:

• Mark says:

I think it’s a bit of a strange promotion, really. You can’t really pick and choose your Facebook friends like you can follow someone on Twitter; thus, the hit-to-miss ratio of relevancy will probably be unfavourable.
      In general, the more companies keep encouraging this trend on Facebook, the more it is going to get ignored. We’ll leave behind Facebook as a network filled with promotion spam and move elsewhere.

• iLag says:

“A more accurate equivalent would be hiding the deal of the week from you until you used social media to promote this post.”

…but only if you were the only possible source of this specific deal. Good thing there’s a healthy amount of competition on the internet, right? (so no, this isn’t really more accurate.)

Besides, if it is really a good deal, why would I want to hide it from my friends? Better than letting them know about my virtual cows, I guess.

• Gabe McGrath says:

I’m with Lewie.

I hardly ever, ever use my Facebook account.
      But the one thing that made it a bit more bearable was manually blocking about 150 stupid apps, so I never ever get spam updates about cows, zombies, horoscopes, etc.

If more and more friends started promoting things “to everyone” just so they could get a discount, I’d be annoyed at the friends, and at the indie programmers.

This sort of thing isn’t even needed for this sale – it’s a good lineup of games at a good price. The trailer shows each title well – this ‘likespam’ thing is unnecessary and unwelcome.

• trjp says:

Simple fact is that the games market is MASSIVELY oversaturated – as a developer you have to try any and every trick to promote your title.

You can be polite and try not to bother people – bankruptcy and the dole queue awaits people like that.

People like Lewie can sit there ‘tutting’ as much as they like at what their perceive as some invasion of the privacy or attempt to ‘spam’ them but meanwhile, in the real world, shit needs to happen.

Get used to it.

• trjp says:

Looking at the wider issue of people’s usual moans about Facebook etc. – it strikes me that the problem isn’t what your friends are doing, it’s that you’re unable to grasp they might not share your views…

It’s online “NIMBYism” – it’s fine for everyone else but not for you, in effect…

orrr – put another way – it’s classic ‘nerd’ behaviour to rail against the fact not everyone sees the world in the same way :)

• Targaff says:

Like Gnoupi said, a single post highlighting the fact that there’s some nice games around fo cheepz is hardly going to ruin anyone’s FB experience. Most people won’t notice since they’re preoccupied with collecting sheep anyhow. I “like”;d the humble bundles as well; at least I’m applying some level of quality filter on what I tell my friends about. If I didn’t have FB and met them down the pub I’d probably just tell them there instead.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Thumbs up for ‘trjp’…well said.

7. Drake Sigar says:

Thank you.

8. nofing says:

Men of War: Assault Squad only has steam achievements. No steamworks, so I don’t think it can be activated on steam.

SvDvorak says:

I can confirm that Men of War Assault Squad from GetGamesGo does register on Steam, atleast it did at launch. You should get two keys, one product and one multiplayer, and one of them should work on Steam.

lurkalisk says:

It’s always such a bizarre combination of depression and satisfaction seeing so many games I own being sold or so much less then I paid…

11. The Pink Ninja says:

After a decade of playing games where everythign except crates and barrels were invincible, Red Faction Guerilla is extremely liberating.

It’s got a lot it could improve upon but smashing through a wall to get at a goon who was taking cover behind it never got old for me.

12. bill says:

Bob came in Pieces is pretty cool.

I wish there was a portal2 deal – this weekend is my only chance to play it, and i have zero money. sigh.

• onfim says:

Amazon is actually having a deal for Portal 2 right now, you can get it for $30.

13. Hunter says:

D2D is having a similar Facebook “like” event where you can get Homefront 50% off:
    Also, does anyone know if Crysis 2 from Impulse would register on the EA Download manager?

14. nidzumi says:

Man, I never thought of getting the PS3 version and selling it on. Such an obvious idea. £21 is cheap for it anyway.

• Lewie Procter says:

Lots of people did that at launch, but this is the first proper pricedrop the PS3 version has had.

I’m surprised the trade in price is still that high to be honest. I guess most people buying the PS3 version were only interested in the PS3 version.

• suibhne says:

How can you sell it on, really? You have to register your PS3 version with Steam in order to get the PC version on your Steam account, at which point your PS3 version is also tied to your Steam account and can’t be transferred. I guess you could sell the PS3 version if you found a willing customer who’d never, ever want to play the game online, but that’s a pretty big limitation.

What am I missing here? I must be missing something. :)

Also, the Age of Wonders deals at GOG.com definitely deserve a mention. ;)

• Lewie Procter says:

The PS3 disc is not in any way tied to your account/console. It’s just a game disc like any other (otherwise you’d not be able to play it offline, and many many PS3 consoles are not hooked up to the internet).
      Only the PC version is tied to an account (but registering the PC version included with the PS3 version requires you to enter the single use serial that comes in the box).

• suibhne says:

Thanks for turning me on to that info – you’ve made me $28 richer.

• Clovis says:

Yeah, I bought the PS3 version (and then couldn’t play my PC copy for several weeks, but that’s another story) and have been playing the co-op in the same room with my brother. I play on my Steam account and he plays on the SAME PS3 I registered with but with a different (free) PSN account. So, I bought one copy and now we can both play.

That’s been a lot of fun, BTW.

Rinox says:

Is there any way to give a game from Getgames to a friend? If it registers on Steam I could just give him that key I guess?

It’s a bit confusing, since in the checkout window I get the whole “choose address” thing and what not, while I’m pretty sure it’s a digital copy so it doesn’t matter one bit. Weird.

16. Ice-Fyre says:

What’s the drm on getgamesgo.com like? Would like kings bounty, but don’t want to worry about drm crap

Revisor says:

The second indie bundle is easily worth the full $10 for Aztaka alone. That’s a great metroidvania platformer with great production values (considering it’s an indie).
    Also Lylian! I have not played it but I really liked the trailer. What’s the opinion of the hivemind?

Edit: Lylian intro + gameplay

• 8-bit says:

I liked Lylian but it focuses far too much on the combat, often stretching fights out much longer than I found to be acceptable. There is nothing wrong with the combat, its simple and works at least, but the other elements of the gameplay (platfomring and special powers) were much more interesting yet sadly underused. I really liked the story and graphics but its kind of short, overall I would say its worth playing at least once considering how cheap the bundle is.

• cytokindness says:

I just had http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUBbigtfCWs come on as she was jumping around. I think it greatly improves the game!

18. Angryinternetman says:

Yeah, Facebook = obfuscate. Lets use that in a sentence: Politicians keep facebooking the issues.

19. Inglourious Badger says:

Just got Men of War: Assault Squad, after thinking about getting it for months I realised 2 pints can easily be foregone to afford it.

EDIT: In answer to the Steam question though, it DOES register on Steam. Confusingly you’re e-mailed an activation code that doesn’t work on steam, but on your order details on the website is an alternative activation code that does work!?

Anyway, downloading now. Thanks Lewie!

• grasskit says:

what!? just bought MOW:AS aswell and it registers on steam just fine. make sure to enter the code that you got at the checkout or view it on your account (the gamespy key). the one you get on email (securom key) is for activating non steam version. basically the key you enter to play MP on gamespy is the same that activates the game on steam.

• Inglourious Badger says:

Thanks grasskit, I realised about a minute after posting that there was another key!

20. iLag says:

suppose I wanted to get one of GTA IV’s expansions – as they are 70% off on Gamersgate this very day – which one would it be? Gay Tony or the Lost & Damned?

• kevmscotland says:

Lost and damned if you prefer the more grounded reality and serious story/missions. Not forgetting motorbikes!!

Or, BoGT if you prefer the more old school GTA style of comical missions, and generally just mucking about.

Both have heaps of playtime to them, so really its depends on the above

Vandelay says:

You can also get the (almost) complete set of GTA games for £17.48. That’s 1, 2, 3, Vice City, San Andreas, 4 and Episodes from Liberty City.

• kevmscotland says:

Well yeah, but without being negetive about my beloved PC, its a pig to control the earlier titles on PC :P

21. Igor Hardy says:

Starting today Telltale Games sells everything at 25% of its usual price:

Carra says:

Bundle #1: £22.63/€25.50/$28.50

$28.50 is only about €19.50. So why do we have to pay €6 more?

23. DrGonzo says:

I’ve obviously been spoilt as the show me the games bundle seems very expensive.

I can’t help thinking they would make more money with a pay what you want system. I always buy the humble indie bundle yet I don’t think I’ve ever played the games themselves. For that reason I’m going to pick this pack up.

• johnpeat says:

Cliffski will explode if he reads that – he already can’t understand how people make money selling games for the prices they do – offering people the chance of getting them for nothing will probably tip him over the edge…

• Gnoupi says:

I think this is a particular bundle. It contains games which appeal to particular “niches”.

These are games which will be a blast for people who are getting involved in them, and these people will get their money worth it, from playing long hours.

These are not, however, what I would call “accessible games”. They wouldn’t benefit from a “pay what you want”, or from an even lower price, because of that.

Games in the humble bundle (or even most of the “indie games summer pack” games) are much more accessible to a wider range of players. As such, you can play on the “impulse buy” to get sales.

The SMTG bundle, however, with the games it contains, requires the same “thinking” you would have to do to buy most of its content, separately. The only “impulse” would be curiosity, maybe, and for this we would require a lower price. But I guess it’s not worth marketing to this crowd.

Cliffski is working in the “specialist”, “niche” side of the indie games. That’s why his point of view is very negative towards low prices, most likely. And it is the correct attitude, probably. It wouldn’t make sense really to sell Democracy 2 for the “impulse price”, so around 5 quids, for example, since it’s anyway a game which requires involvement.

Unfortunately, Cliffski seems to forget that there are other types of indie games, which are more on the accessible/cute side, and this is a different market entirely.

24. bluebogle says:

I’d so play Hobo Tycoon.

• terry says:

*places row after row of cardboard boxes, surrounds with hedging of discarded syringes, zones soup kitchen*

25. Bfox says:

Meanwhile in Glasgae:

26. Archaeon says:

Will King’s Bounty: Platinum Edition from GetGamesGo register on Steam?

27. Wulf says:

I was rather fond of BEEP. It’s absurdly physics-y in a very interesting way.

28. DuckSauce says:

Spotted the Red Faction deal here, got it, it’s great, €2,49 is a great for it, having a blast(no pun intended) with it so far, highly recommend it to anyone up for causing some destruction for that price.

29. scorpionbruno says:

The game Puzzlegeddon from the summerindiepack asks for a serial and there is none provided . :(