Al Lowe Loves Leisure Suit Larry Again

By Alec Meer on June 6th, 2011 at 5:18 pm.

I always thought he looked like Richard Nixon

Poor old Leisure Suit Larry has been treated like a common criminal in recent years. Literally a criminal, performing acts of sexual harassment far beyond humour and well into horror. Fortunately, original series creator Al Lowe is returning to hopefully steer the hapless wannabe sex pest back on track, having arranged a rerelease of the first game, Leisure Suit Larry In The Land Of The Lounge Lizards for modern devices. Save him, Al. Save him from hell itself.

This means the next Larry we see will be the original Larry, rather than the monstrous nephew who starred in the last two horrorshows.

The version we’re getting is the 1991 remake, which made an EGA game into a VGA game, and is the first time it’s been legally available for aaaaaages. Additionally, it’ll play nice with modern systems, with its initial release coming via Intel’s AppUp thing – their own app store for PC, basically. Sounds as though mobile versions will also follow, if you like tiny screens and aching thumbs. HAHA SEE HOW I SO WITTILY AND CLEVERLY DISMISS INSANELY POPULAR MODERN FORMATS HAHA.

Says Lowe, “It’s no fun telling people who want to play your games that their only recourse is to pirate them. Finally, Larry leaves his digital dungeon to delight those too young (or too smart) to play it way back when. Men love the games because no matter how much of a loser they are, they’re not as big a loser as Larry. And women love the games because, well, they’ve all dated a jerk like Larry.”

Due in Summer – no more details than that yet. Hopefully it’s the start of a new, less disgusting era for Larry. But will a game originally created in 1987 cope with the modern age? Anyone played it lately – how’s it hold up now?

Speaking of Al Lowe, remember when we interviewed him?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. wisnoskij says:

“The version we’re getting is the 1991 remake, which made an EGA game into a VGA game”
    So he is not remaking it with new graphics or anything like that, only porting it to play on new computers?

• Milky1985 says:

By “only porting it to play on new computerss” , you mean “conifguring dosbox for this game” i guess :p

2. shoptroll says:

Glad to hear Al is getting involved with the franchise again. Was really sad to hear his previous endeavour a while back was canned (I forget the name of the new franchise though).

I’m still amazed that this series hasn’t tipped up on GoG, Steam or any of the other digital services yet. It’s like Activision doesn’t want to acknowledge the old games were far better than the cruft they’re trying to pass as gaming these days.

3. c-Row says:

Sooo, the Duke gets frowned upon for some strippers here and there, and Larry gets cheered at for a whole game of sexual harassment?

• MartinNr5 says:

The difference is the same as the one between a sexy flirt and a lewd remark; you need to know how to do it properly.

• Nick says:

Yup, spot the person who doesn’t actually know anything about Leisure Suit Larry.

• c-Row says:

Let’s just say that the kids I knew back in those days didn’t play Larry for the story line or the witty dialogue.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It’s entirely possible that children can’t tell the difference between glorifying sexual misbehavior and mercilessly poking fun at it. We, however, should be able to.

• c-Row says:

Maybe you are taking the Duke a bit too serious then.

Ah well, never mind my ranting. This is about Leisure Suit Larry after all, right? Bring on the polyester king, I say!

• Zelius says:

@ c-Row

Yeah, I knew those kinds of kids as well! The other kids.. Them.. Totally not me!

• MD says:

Did anyone in the world ever successfully get off on Leisure Suit Larry, though? As a bosom simulator it was decidedly underwhelming. I’m sure the answer to my first question is yes, but perhaps only in the same way that teenage boys are able to get off on underwear catalogues, and dreams, and bumpy bus rides.

4. BobsLawnService says:

Just a headsup. On Amazon you should be able to find this : The collection

They have collections of all their major series.

5. Red_Avatar says:

The LSL series is CRIMINALLY underrated these days. While the second game was pretty unforgiving when it came to the puzzles (there was one part where you could die hours later when you forgot to buy a certain item in the store without knowing you’d need it later) but the third, fifth, sixth and seventh are quite enjoyable. The 5th has a soft spot because it was one of my first graphic adventures but I have to say the 6th is probably the best. I won’t forget the gay spa attendant – if you “unzipped” in front of him, it ended the game where you got together with him to the Tchaikovsky version of Romeo & Juliet.

6. fiddlesticks says:

The only real memory I have of the series is Leisure Suit Larry 5, which I remember being pretty terrible. So I’m not really hyped about this remake. Then again, this might be the perfect chance to actually play the first game and see if it holds up better than its sequel.

7. Carra says:

Ah yes, I remember playing this at a friends house.

We had to ask questions like “What’s a nehru jacket?” to his father before we could start playing.

8. Fumarole says:

My LSL memories are of my and my underage friends trying to guess the answers to the age verification questions (and usually failing since we were only twelve years old or so) and buying a condom in the liquor store. Good times.

9. DrBomb says:

“…coming via Intel’s AppUp thing”
    Well, i won’t be getting it, as AppUp doesn’t support Vista