Battlefield 3 Multiplayer Shown, Tanky Bit

By Jim Rossignol on June 6th, 2011 at 9:27 pm.

Fuck! Last night I started writing something about my hopes for Battlefield 3, and one of the points in it was “they better have huge tank battles across massive plains”, and that’s precisely what they’re showing now. I should have finished it up and I’d have looked like the prescient games genius that I am.

It looks seriously good: huge maps, incredible destruction. Vehicular incredibleness. Not sure about those tank interior bits, though. It’s all on PC, of course, and it looks miraculous. There’s also a brief multiplayer trailer over here, showing some of the stuff from Paris multiplayer maps. Big built up urban maps for multiplayer: also in my unfinished articles. I mean I basically make these games happen by imagining them. (*Imagines infinite Stalker*)

, , , .

1. Njordsk says:

• Commisar says:

seconded. dam this game looks GOOD along with Skyrim, its time to upgrade ye olde graphics card

2. Greg Wild says:

Yeah, looks great. Really look forwards to this :P

3. somini says:

I hope this game doesn’t tank…

• Rei Onryou says:

Don’t worry, it’s on track(s)

lurkalisk says:

It’ll take alot to stop this TANK

…Sorry, I’m not too clever.

• awickedone says:

That pun is great you should really get a Patton for it.

• Navagon says:

Infinite Stalker… you certainly know how to make Battlefield 3 pale by comparison, Jim.

Now just imagine Stalker 2 in that engine with the same kind of budget (actually spent on the game).

• commisaro says:

Wow, you really brought out the big guns for that pun. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a pun of that calibre.

4. Iokanaan says:

yes, it is ridiculously good-looking.. or aren’t those extremely light-weight tanks?

5. Teddy Leach says:

The amount of people on Facefuck and Twitter complaining that they wanted to see it on consoles was hilarious.

BF3 looks gorgeous and brilliant.

6. l1ddl3monkey says:

Imagine harder on the infinite STALKER. please.

7. JimK. says:

Was it just me or did that airstrike totally miss the mark?

• Nick says:

added realism.

• pepper says:

Yup, that is what it looked like, although the mobile rocket artillery on the backside was missing, that was probably the one that decided direct fire on the incoming armour was a good idea.

• Scioptic says:

Wouldn’t added realism being that they hit your friendly tanks? :P

8. frewster says:

Man, that tank must have had adamantium armor to survive that many hits. And I don’t think the demoer understood that MOVING helps to avoid getting shot. Still, the lighting was beautiful and I can’t wait. I get goose bumps every time I here the distorted audio at the end of the trailers.

• Jesse L says:

Edit in a pun about tanks, no one will know.

PS: playing games on consoles makes you ugly. That’s why all console players are as ugly as they are. Also, they should probably not be allowed to vote. Or reproduce.

• max pain says:

Agreed on all points.
      Are they even human? Some estimate their intelligence in on par with dolphins.

• Mr.Nice says:

On behalf of dolphins, I am offend.

• GameOverMan says:

So long, and tanks for all the fish.

9. Chris Evans says:

I was so impressed and pleased they played it on PC, that was the best way to show the game off. Loving some of the visual effects with the explosions during the tank battle.

10. Kadayi says:

The wait for them to hit the action was strangely thrilling. Absurd scale.

• Chris Evans says:

The wait made it even more special, tension rising knowing something big was about to kick-off :D

• Kadayi says:

Agreed. Visual effects were impressive as hell.

• Rii says:

To be honest I could’ve done with a minute or two less of preliminary trundling along.

Still, it was very impressive. Difficult to see this as anything other than a Day 1 purchase.

• Silver says:

exactly!
      Some complain why it was neccesary..
      I think usual fps – spawn, shoot, die, spawn, shoot, killstream, die, spawn, die, spawn die, spawn shoot die etc is much more boring… and usual-casual.

like was mw3 demo – run, load, shoot, unexpected (scripted) event comes… etc..

I like that bf3 took risk showing it on PC, doing “boring” tank episode, I really liked it…
      like said before – it was much more intense that fight didn’t start right over. I really love this kind of (bf3?) style.

Clean, yet intense; rich; mature.

/sorry fer some typos – destroying some alchoholic beverage atm :)

• Rii says:

@Silver

And if I were actually playing the game instead of watching someone else play the game I could probably get into the heavy metal ambience of it all. But I’m not. There’s a reason why trailers are cut the way they are.

11. Redcoat-Mic says:

Misleading headline, the tank bit was single player. :\

• Betamax says:

and flattered to decieve a bit too I think. I was blown away at first, then realised that it all looked quite scripted really, and a tutorial to boot. Very pretty though, and if tank battles have that scope in multiplayer I am VERY excited.

• westyfield says:

Thank you, I hadn’t been able to find the video anywhere – I missed the live stream.

Though about 2 mins after seeing your comment, EA posted a youtube link to the clip on twitter.
      Here is is, in case you hate gametrailers or something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UwOrl036_A

12. noclip says:

This is looking more and more like it could actually unseat Call of Duty, or at the very least split the hot manshoot market in two. I don’t know about anyone else, but the MW3 demos underwhelmed me (it seemed like they were phoning it in, even the soundtrack was noticeably bland; and faking not faking the press conference demo was just insulting). This, on the other hand, is the only shooter in recent memory that takes me back to the intensity I haven’t felt since the MW2 cliffhanger demo, which is the only reason I play these kinds of games.

13. Stevostin says:

I am very, very impressed, but I am the only one that feels it looks so much like *the real deal* that all the killing all of a sudden looks unhealthy and scary ? If they avoid the “patriotic” (quotes because not everyone doesn’t put the same thing behind that word) with the usual “democracy ├╝ber alles” dressing, it may actually become a kind of “Saving Private Ryan” of video games : spectacular, but also very efficient at making you feel war just never can be a good option IRL.

• Erd says:

A game that makes you feel ill at ease playing it? Isn’t that a bad idea for a blockbuster title?

• The JG Man says:

The part where the tank operators who roll/fall out on fire was a bit of a hit to the stomach. Very unsettling, but very well done.

14. Jimbo says:

They already revealed the tanky bit, so probably just as well you didn’t finish writing that something.

15. Eightball says:

After playing copious amounts of Bad Company 2 recently, the trailer made me mad because the player didn’t mark the enemy tanks for everyone else.

16. lupusamicus says:

Is it me or are they bringing this “realistic camera” effects to BF3? like in Kane & Lynch 2

17. gwathdring says:

Hmm. On the one hand I don’t like some of the “realism” being inserted here. On the other hand, I love the animations, and the audio/visual design still has some style and flash to it that I don’t get out of Call of Duty screen shots. Regardless of how it stacks up against CoD or on it’s own legs, I won’t be buying this for a number of years. That’s my timeline before I get a decent gaming rig.

18. Mr.Nice says:

reply fail

19. Shadrach says:

These games look at the same. I must be getting old and grumpy.