Edge Of Time: Spider-Mens 2

By Alec Meer on June 6th, 2011 at 4:14 pm.

That's Anti-Venom, right? Who's like Venom but actually like an even nastier version rather than the opposite of him, yeah? STOOPID

The last Activision Spider-Man game, Shattered Dimensions, in theory arrived on PC some months after the console version, but it appeared no bugger could actually find it. Even now, I can’t seem to spy anywhere online selling it apart from some place in Germany. Hope you’re enjoying it, Germans. Keeping it all to yourself and that. Bah.

Nonetheless, the follow-up to the multi-dimensional action-manthumper is apparently due a Windows release too. Out of E3 come the promotional materials, and with great (or at least adequate) promotional materials means great (or at least adequate) posting. By which I mean “a video trailer may be watched below.”

That’s the Amazing (i.e. contemporary-esque) Spider-Man in league with ooh-dark-and-gritty Spider-Man 2099, incidentally, having apparently decided those were the most successful aspects of the last game. I didn’t play it alas, as no bugger could actually find the PC version. Sorry, I already said that didn’t I? Apologies, just baffled that someone would take the time to create a game you can’t actually buy.

This new one looks pretty and oh-so-dramatic, though apparently it’s like Shattered Dimensions in that free-roaming urbanity has been cast aside in favour of linear bashing. That’s not such a bad thing, but one of these days someone’s going to get Spidey back to his essetnial Spideyness and do an Arkham Asylum on him. That will be a fine, fine day.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Miker says:

I think the PC version of Shattered Dimensions was a retail-only release, and a Wal-Mart exclusive to boot. I’ve always found it silly to hear people say “Company X wanted this game to fail,” but I’ll be damned if Activision didn’t condemn the PC version to obscurity.

2. Pathetic Phallacy says:

Nobody gives a shit about Spider-Man fighting in tight corridors. Just give us building-to-building web swinging!

3. fuggles says:

The image seems to suggest Spidey forms a human centipede to defeat his foes -what power! What responsibility!

4. Koozer says:

Was Spider Man 2 a dream?

5. Urthman says:

I saw this on the shelves at Wal-Mart when it came out and thought I’d eventually pick it up, but now it’s gone and can’t be found anywhere. I’ve never seen anything like it.

6. Hensler says:

Could have sworn I bought my PC copy at Gamestop, but it may have been Wal-Mart.

7. Iokanaan says:

that certainly looks annoyingly awful.

8. Sivart13 says:

I played it on Console Toy because I can’t get enough spoderman, I guess.

That Wal-Mart deal must’ve been worth a lot of bucks to make them ignore any digital download services.

9. Axez D. Nyde says:

Hope you’re enjoying it, Germans.

We are. So much, it took my two full days to reply.

10. The Sentinel says:

Corpse thread but who cares: I am now the proud owner of a copy of Shattered Dimensions, sourced from an odd little corner of the interweb (was going to post the link but it looks like I got the last one).

It’s actually not bad. The linearity does take some getting used to, the combat mechanics and animations don’t feel quite as slick as Web of Shadows, the stealth portions are shallow clones of Arkham Asylum (but no less enjoyable for all that), the writing is actually really good and you have a stellar voice cast – Spider-Men from all generation’s versions of animated antics (AWESOME!).

Shame they’ve ditched Noir spidey – I enjoyed his sections very much – but I do love me some Miguel. I’ll be in line for Edge of time, I reckon.

Comment on this story