Smash It Up: Citadel Wars Released

By Jim Rossignol on June 6th, 2011 at 12:27 pm.

Goblins means prizes! Probably.
Crikey, I am not sure how I missed this previously! Firewhirl Entertainment send word that their new game, Citadel Wars, has just been released, and it looks like a checklist of things that should be a fun time. It’s a mixture of “RTS, Tower Defense and FPS”, all set within “a totally destructible environment”. That means battling swarms of ork-like creeps with magic, bows, and other fantasy weapons. The cartoony trad fantasy theme might not exactly be fresh, but it’s looking appropriate and pretty tidy – and destructible! I’m downloading the full thing at the moment, so I’ll let you guys know a bit more when I’ve had time to play it, but you don’t need to wait for my thoughts because there’s a demo, and also a peculiarly self-deprecating trailer which I’ve posted below.

Odd.

I mean I get what they are trying to say, there. But c’mon. (I hate going to the cinema for that stuff.)

Also, it looks like this could be an indie rival for Orks Must Die?

, , .

1. Dana says:

Dont forget about Dungeon Defenders ! God only knows when it will come out for PCs.

• d32 says:

They are not much fun at phones… maybe because lack of mouse and keyboard…

• Gnoupi says:

I prefer to forget about it. They chose to (gold) rush to phones, xperia play included, leaving the PC behind.

So I’m not really expecting that game anymore.

• johnpeat says:

The decision to take that game to phones is idiotic – it’s like trying to cram an octopus into a 3-piece-suit…

They keep promising a PC version but it’s 6 months late by their own estimation and I think we can stop caring for a while…

Also – their forums are a plague of whining about missing features, broken multiplayer and there’s not much interaction from the developer – methinks their cash cow died…

• Waltorious says:

@johnpeat,

If you had played Octodad, you would realize that cramming an octopus into a suit is a GREAT idea.

2. Tei says:

I don’t understand why some people want to mix turret defense games with other genres. I love the genre (played all the weekend Sentinel 3 for iOS). The thing I love most from turret defense games, is that I can configure my base, then put my hands on the back of my head, and admire my turrets annihilating everything without my directly managing things. Is a moment I love, like zen. Similar to what has to feel a chess master wen a complex and elegant strategy works, with everything in place, and the opponent doomed to lose the game.
    But.. oh well.. I suppose there are different type of turret defense players :D

• johnpeat says:

There are – Sanctum is an amazing take on ‘FPS TD’ and Monday Night Combat mixes the 2 very well indeed.
      Then there’s ‘manual control’ TD (where you have to reload towers etc.) like Revenge of the Titans and TD where you use ‘superpowers’ to fill-in between the towers (Sol Survivor) and they’re all great in their own way.

You cannot beat a really well balanced trad. TD tho – and by that I mean Defense Grid ofc… :)

• Baines says:

When you consider that people play both defense and assault modes in other types of games, combining base building with active defense is just adding features and giving the player more power.

princec says:

Maybe because it’s fun to make new games :)

3. pakoito says:

What is wrong with that camera!

4. Jumwa says:

People still go to the cinema?

Oh wait, I’m going to the cinema today because we have to cheer up my sister after a nasty breakup, and we needed an activity that wouldn’t pressure us into forcing small talk. I guess it still does serve a purpose.

• Jim Rossignol says:

The same would be true of getting her to play a tower defence game though, eh?

• MartinNr5 says:

Cinema serves many a purpose.

It’s great for getting away from the scorching heat of the summer, it’s the best way to enjoy “big” movies like Pirates of the Caribbean and it still works when taking a girl on a date.

Combine them and you get a 3x combo multiplier bonus!

• Jumwa says:

So I guess the cinema is for the non-gamers then.

I’d mock and make fun of such gaming illiterati, but then I live in a city of a quarter million where nobody but my partner and I has even played a Facebook game before. I suspect at times that I live in a time warp and my other half took Rocky Horror too seriously.

• westyfield says:

Plus, some films are actually good.

• Jumwa says:

“Plus, some films are actually good.”

And those are what my second monitor are for.

• Calabi says:

@MartinNR5

Except if you do actually go to see the current Pirates of the Caribbean you wont enjoy yourself and your girlfriend will hate you. You probably wont want to go to the cinema ever again, best to play this game after all even if it is rubbish.

5. MartinNr5 says:

I actually thought of Orks Must Die when I read the blurb in the RSS feed as I didn’t remember the name of OMD.

I’ll give it a whirl.

6. Bilbo says:

Just got finished with the demo – I’d say don’t bother, it’s just a tutorial and a sandbox mode where you can destroy two dwarf statues. Not particularly encouraging.

• johnpeat says:

Yeah that’s a generous use of the term ‘sandbox’ – another term would be “a level with nothing in it”…

7. d32 says:

Ha, was that jab at Bioware and their “cinematic experience”s?

8. gorgol says:

Looks good, and I agree with the sentiment of the trailer, however destructible environments and shooting things with a bow doesn’t quite promise enough gameplay to make we want to try the game.

• johnpeat says:

Destructible env. is a misnomer – there are some bits and bobs to break but walls are rock-solid (bits just fly off them) and the demo has nothing like bridges you can access/destroy etc. so I’m wondering wtf really…

I love the concept – but the demo doesn’t really show any ‘game’ off…

It’s not that expensive tho – I might just risk it – it’s that or doing some work – hmmmm….

• Sassenach says:

“One of the most interactive games ever” seems like rather a bold claim. I’m not entirely sure what they mean by that.

9. johnpeat says:

The camera view/perspective is head-destroying – it’s a fisheye lens!!

OK – you have better perception BUT at the cost of leaving you (at least leaving me!) spaced-out!!

10. johnpeat says:

One other thing – reading through their website I’m noticing some very forced English so I’m assuming we’re talking an Eastern European or even Asian Developer…

“Will Citadel Wars propose a multiplayer experience” (O RLY?)

They’re based in the U.S. apparently……….

p.s. actually the whole FAQ is 10 types of amaze – I mean the questions are…

What is Citadel Wars?
    What kind of minimum configuration is required for it?
    What do I get I if buy the game?
    When will Citadel Wars be out?
    Will Citadel Wars propose a multiplayer experience?
    When?

I’m waiting for “What?”, “Who?”, “Whither?”, “Whence?” and “Wherefor??”…

11. Boozebeard says:

Dorfs <3

12. Boozebeard says:

The demo is pretty lame. You can only seem to play the tutorial which is waves of goblins that you can kill on your own with 2 magic arrows or a destruction mode which is the level but empty and all you can do is blow chunks of the walls out.

Unless I’m missing something.

13. frChuck says:

New demo with more gameplay: http://www.citadelwars.com/demo

• johnpeat says:

There is indeed gameplay in there – you get to play it twice then it slaps you down and tells you to buy it.

When will people learn…

14. krammoo says:

Well I don’t see any reason to bash it – it’s a pretty good game if you actually get the real thing!